Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
I just started in a 7v7 league a few weeks ago, and due to various personnel shortages I've ended up playing keeper for a good bit of it. I like it but I've never really played keeper before so I have a tendency to let in some soft goals. If anyone has any general tips on things I should be keeping in mind, maybe drills I can do during the week, I'd really appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Lamont Cranston posted:

I just started in a 7v7 league a few weeks ago, and due to various personnel shortages I've ended up playing keeper for a good bit of it. I like it but I've never really played keeper before so I have a tendency to let in some soft goals. If anyone has any general tips on things I should be keeping in mind, maybe drills I can do during the week, I'd really appreciate it.

Everything you need is right here: http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com

Read the section on positioning first, it's definitely the most important. There are some drills in there, too.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
The team for whom I was going to play keeper and right back has...decided not to play at all :psyduck: I don't get it.

I've been playing pickup for a couple of hours every Saturday morning, though, and it feels good to have some semblance of skill coming back. Lobbed the keeper from about 25 yards yesterday :D

I've also gone back to my old Adipures. I posted earlier about getting a new pair of Legends; they're a bit more comfortable overall than the Adipures, but I much prefer the tighter fit.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
My team finished 8th out of 9 teams on saturday :laugh:
At least they all got smashed as hell and provided me with pictures/videos.

:gbsmith:

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Lamont Cranston posted:

Playing futsal on a mixed team, each one of the three male players spends about six minutes in goal each half. I think I'm responsible for a good portion of our losses because I'm a useless keeper, either poorly positioned or failing to hold onto soft shots. I have to consciously keep reminding myself while I'm standing in goal to be on my toes and keep repositioning myself as the ball is passed around. I'm just relieved when my time in goal is up: loving hate that poo poo.

The Extrapolator
Dec 14, 2006

Now what the fuck are some of these god damn questions?
f

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Extrapolator fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 30, 2016

No Survivors
Jul 3, 2007

No Frank. Not now.

The Extrapolator posted:

Can anybody identify these cleats?

Those are the old champions league predator absolutes, but given the shininess of the instep, my guess is that they are the cheaper absolados or something like that.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

joshtothemaxx posted:

The absolute without question best person in my league is a 5'2" guy who has to weigh in at like 180-200. Dude can't run for poo poo, but my god he can deke anyone and shoot from 30 yards like a boss.

pik_d posted:

One of the teams in my league used their big fatty as a center forward to just freight train his way through the opposition.

Speaking of fat forwards:

The best shooter on my team is 5'9", 250. He's not fast, as you can probably imagine, but he's a zen master of receiving a cross - one touch to control - BAM. Accurate shooter, too. He can really give the keeper a workout.

I'm not quite as big as him, but I play forward too when I'm not playing keeper. I'm 5'8", 200. I have a respectable sprint speed for my size, which tends to catch the defense off guard. Usually gets me two or three breakaways per game simply because they're not expecting ME to be the speed guy.

The downside is that after those breakaways, I'm winded and useless for the next 10 minutes because I'm a fatty fat fat fatty.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Lazlow posted:

Everything you need is right here: http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com

Read the section on positioning first, it's definitely the most important. There are some drills in there, too.

i just read that out of curiousity, never consciously been aware of the get in front of the post for tight angles bit but i think i do it, going to have to check next game now...

anyway a little tip which i never see other keepers doing... before the game stand on your post, walk to the edge of the area, mark a line in the dirt/sand where you post is, walk another 5 yards or whatever you comfortable with and mark the post again - repeat for the other post

then you can see where your posts are without turning around so much

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

i just read that out of curiousity, never consciously been aware of the get in front of the post for tight angles bit but i think i do it, going to have to check next game now...

anyway a little tip which i never see other keepers doing... before the game stand on your post, walk to the edge of the area, mark a line in the dirt/sand where you post is, walk another 5 yards or whatever you comfortable with and mark the post again - repeat for the other post

then you can see where your posts are without turning around so much

You can also use the penalty spot.

The Extrapolator
Dec 14, 2006

Now what the fuck are some of these god damn questions?
f

The Extrapolator fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 30, 2016

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
huge brawl during my indoor 6-a-side match yesterday. was a close, physical game. two players went crashing into the boards, ref blew the whistle. my teammate looks to the ref to see the call and boom gets cold-cocked/cheapshotted/blindsided by the guy he ran into the boards with. straight dropped him. i run to check on my teammate to see him on the ground with eyes in space, mouth open, arm stiff in the air twitching. turned around and all hell has broken loose. the benches cleared and even a few spectators joined in on the fun. during the mayhem, i identified the little bitch that threw the cheapshot and literally chased him out of the building.

i can't believe anyone could be so dirty

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

CAMiasm posted:

huge brawl during my indoor 6-a-side match yesterday. was a close, physical game. two players went crashing into the boards, ref blew the whistle. my teammate looks to the ref to see the call and boom gets cold-cocked/cheapshotted/blindsided by the guy he ran into the boards with. straight dropped him. i run to check on my teammate to see him on the ground with eyes in space, mouth open, arm stiff in the air twitching. turned around and all hell has broken loose. the benches cleared and even a few spectators joined in on the fun. during the mayhem, i identified the little bitch that threw the cheapshot and literally chased him out of the building.

i can't believe anyone could be so dirty

How does this work in your league? I know where I play anyone fighting or starting a fight gets a year ban. I'm serving a 6 month ban for spitting on someone (yeah shouldn't have done that), so i can only imagine this carries some heavy bans here.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
the guy that threw the punch is banned for life and his team is now on final notice. any scuff ups and they're gone.

this wasn't the first time my team has been in a brawl, but i swear to god we never start them

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I started playing 7v7 again and I am just terrible. What should I be doing as a center forward? We've been playing a 2-3-1 for the most part and it seems I'm never positioning myself correctly to get crosses or rebounds.

Sir Charles
Apr 25, 2006
Can't...seem to...penetrate the fabric...must be...some kind of...polyester weave!

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I started playing 7v7 again and I am just terrible. What should I be doing as a center forward? We've been playing a 2-3-1 for the most part and it seems I'm never positioning myself correctly to get crosses or rebounds.

Basically run at the goal.

For more content.

Lessons I've overheard an Australian Hall of Fame striker teaching our midfielder turned striker: If player is running at you with the ball try peel off your defender away from the player coming towards you with the ball. If the play is in the middle of the park in front of you try present as an option in front of your defender. The least your team wants off you is to give keep the ball and bounce it back to the midfielders. If you try turn your player and lose the ball your team will be screwed because players will (should be) making third man runs past you.

If the ball is on the wing stay in the box. You don't want to go over to the wide player because you bring defenders with you and crowd it up. Stay in the box and try time a run to the front post when the wide player is going to cross.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
First game back today since December, what kind of severe injury would keep me out for so long you ask? An infected toe. Had surgery on it a month ago, clearing up nicely, time to play again :getin:

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Managed to get a meniscus tear in my knee after the roof of the indoor centre leaked and I slid in a puddle while trying to dribble and landed awkwardly. After I limped off and watched from the sidelines, three other players slipped in different puddles around the court, although none were seriously hurt. The centre's management came up after the game to deny responsibility for the leaking and the game scheduled after ours continued with nothing more than running a towel quickly over the wet patches that were forming. I do wonder if anyone else hurt themselves seriously that night.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Mate and I played a game with some teenage neds in the park the other day. They gave us one of their players to make it 3 vs 5 and we thrashed them 8-2. If this is the state of young football in Scotland...

By the end of the match they'd nicknamed my friend 'Pique' and me 'Kagawa'. Gee, thanks, wee bawbags.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

I was practice shooting with my left foot against a wall today when an older man came biking past me. He said a saying in my language, somewhat translated to "Training creates masters", and I was like, "Yeah!" Earlier this summer I had problems just running with the ball without losing control, couldn't shoot even with the inside of my foot .. I'm not insanely much better, but I think there is a difference from when I started. :) So glad I started practicing on my own, it's so much fun against a wall.

How often do you guys practice/train? Just curious, because I've been atleast playing (by myself) for about an hour every other day this summer. It's not as good as training with another person, probably, but atleast it can't hurt. I've written a plan for myself to train for 1 hour per day. I'll try to follow it atleast for a couple of weeks, hopefully.

DontFearTheReefer
Dec 7, 2006
I played my first game for 10 years on Thursday, went very well I think. Only made a few mistakes but I need to practise shooting with my first touch instead of trying to control the ball first. I walk 6-10 miles a day in work so I've spent 2 days shuffling round.

In regards to recieving the ball under pressure, I was always taught to keep my eye on the ball but would always get tackled whenever I tried to turn him, what do you guys do in that situation?

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
well i just bought some adidas response pro gloves for $40. .apparently they were 2x as much $$ when they first came out. they got good reviews online, and a lot of pro keepers used them. hoping for the best.

anyone use them before?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I had them a couple of years ago. They're great, especially at that price.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

DontFearTheReefer posted:

In regards to recieving the ball under pressure, I was always taught to keep my eye on the ball but would always get tackled whenever I tried to turn him, what do you guys do in that situation?

Don't. The only way you can turn a defender at your back is if he makes a mistake. If he doesn't get tight enough you're free to turn (and your team mates should give you a shout to tell you this). If he gets too tight and tries to take the ball, you can shield it and roll him by turning to the opposite side. But if he gets tight without overcommitting, then trying to turn is just giving him a chance to tackle.

Assuming the defender is well positioned, you have two options:
1) lay the ball back to a teammate then spin off the defender so he can play a through ball. This turns it into a race between you and the defender towards his own goal which is far more difficult for him to deal with.
2) turn while moving towards your own goal. This needs to be a fluid movement because you'll get 1 touch do it and you'll usually need a second as the defender tries to tackle. Basically as you receive the ball instead of killing it completely or turning into it, you want it to move about 1m back towards your own goal as you turn on it. This gives you just enough space that you can react to the tackle.

If you can master the second one it will really improve your game, but it requires a very precise first touch and confidence to pull it off. Generally you always want to go with 1) if the pass is on anyway though, because even if 2) works you haven't got enough time to pick a pass, but the guy behind you gets plenty of options.

There's maybe a couple of flicks and tricks that occasionally work too but you tend to get 1 chance to try them per defender, after that he'll be wise to it whether it works or not.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Third week of eleven a side training last night. For some inexplicable reason I trained with the first team, and though I didn't do exceptionally well I didn't stink up the place either. Got a text afterwards from the reserve team manager confirming I'll be in the rezzies for the rest of pre-season which I am fine with. He did congradulate me on my attempts though saying my efforts had been noted. I'm very much a confidence player!

My thighs are in agony though. I didn't warm down; I had to rush back into town to meet a friend, getting changed in the car as my mate drove us along. What's the correct warm down after a few hours training?

Silly question now, I realise what a centreback has to 'do', but does anyone know of any coaching itinerary that I should learn, possibly rehearse when playing five and six a side? The basics a CB should cover and memorise. I realise my coach will be training us over the season and give us pointers, but I wouldn't mind thinking the right way

DontFearTheReefer
Dec 7, 2006
Limited experience but you should be watching every opposition player who looks like they're making a move towards goal, and constant communication with your fellow defenders is also vital.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

So after finally finding a place to shoot a ball at a local school at 23PM, I get approached by tons of small kids around aged 10-11 who wanted to use the place. I can't say no, even though I obviously just wanted to practice alone (because I am bad).

So they ask me where I'm from, how old I am (I'm 25, yeeep), how many juggles can I do. I have probably done 6-7 when I have been lucky. Mainly my technique is so bad because I can't really keep the ball below my waist. This one little dude who obviously lives and breathes football, and was really really good for a little dude that's 10 told me his record was 573. :unsmith: That sure is alot, little buddy.

Is that like, a standard when you get the technique down? It's a really high number. I don't think any of my friends that play football (that are adults) have hit that number. It seems to me that once you are able to not keep the ball flying away with each touch the numbers rack up more easily, obviously. And you have to use both your legs because of balance and stability.

Does anyone have any tips for this (juggling)? How far from the body should the ball be? How can I be better? If a little kid can do 573 touches, then dammit, I should be able to do that to (with thousands of hours practice).

I could obviously do a search on Google on this, but I like asking in here to keep this great thread going. :) Go!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've always found keepy-ups to be pretty natural - I find tricks like that easier than picking a simple pass, sometimes, which isn't useful at all. I've never seriously tried to do as many as I can but I often do over 80-100 when I'm warming up before matches. Over 500 seems do-able with lots of practice, though unrealistic.

So it's difficult to think of specific tips, but here are some things that might help:
-You should try alternating between right and left feet from the start. Your weaker foot will eventually catch up if you keep trying and there's no point in only being able to juggle with one foot.
-Mix up your touches by letting it hit your thighs, knees, head, shoulders, whatever.
-Hook your feet a little so you aren't always bouncing the ball away from you.

Also good on you for practicing.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Once you get the technique down it basically comes down to focus, patience and not getting bored rigid. I can probably hit low triple figures, but I lack focus and patience and I'm easily bored so any higher is just too much to ask. To be fair though, kick ups aren't something you really need to worry about mastering as their own thing. Basically a guy with a great touch will be able to do lots of kick ups with ease, however a guy who can do lots of kick ups doesn't necessarily have a great touch. At least that's what I keep telling myself :ohdear:

Chas has covered most of the advice but has missed out the most important part... if the ball starts getting away from you just smash a volley as hard as you can at the nearest goal/solid surface and pretend you were finished with kick ups anyway, works every time :smug:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I have a really pretty good touch but am poo poo at keep-ups, so take that as you will

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Alctel posted:

I have a really pretty good touch but am poo poo at keep-ups, so take that as you will

Me too. I grew up playing keeper, so juggling was never a priority.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I used to be able to do definitely do over 500. I probably could get there now too but it'd take a few goes to get the feel right and I'd probably get bored as poo poo doing it, but when you're playing a lot it just comes natural. Like someone said once you have the feel of the ball the technique doesn't change at all, you just have to actually focus which is a bitch

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Redundant posted:

Chas has covered most of the advice but has missed out the most important part... if the ball starts getting away from you just smash a volley as hard as you can at the nearest goal/solid surface and pretend you were finished with kick ups anyway, works every time :smug:
Yes, this is good form.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I normally go like 10 juggles, pop it up and try to take it down with control, which is definitely more important than juggling imo. I think after a while it comes down to just keeping a rhythm, which I don't have so I normally get erratic and top around 50-70.

BTW, I think I've broken dribbling. I decided I was gonna just work on nutmegs for a while during my ban while I was dicking around with friends, and now when I have a clear path around someone I keep trying the meg. As a result I now lose possession constantly, so I guess the lesson is don't try to meg everyone.

e. spelling

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Two out of my past four games have ended in bench clearling brawls in which the game is called off by the refs. I got put on this team by the league as a free agent and it's pretty hilarious because its a bunch of inner city hispanic guys that don't speak english and I'm the most whitey whitebread person on the planet. Really nice guys but if you mess with one you mess with them all so a simple pushing match quickly escalates into a warzone.

EDIT: I love this team though because these guys actually make intelligent attacking runs instead of standing there like a dope screaming for the ball like the front line of almost every english speaking team I have played on.

Huskalator fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 19, 2012

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Huskalator posted:

EDIT: I love this team though because these guys actually make intelligent attacking runs instead of standing there like a dope screaming for the ball like the front line of almost every english speaking team I have played on.

Forwards standing still, screaming "to my feet" are the best.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I'm kind of a soccer noob and I have a rules question.

Please excuse my lovely paint skills. Player 1 passes the ball aimed at my run, with player 2 sort of in the path of the ball. Player 2 is clearly offside, but is making a run away from the pass. The defender deflects the ball slightly. Player 2 turns back slightly toward the ball as if he intends to play it, but does not play it, does not touch it, and is, at least, 3-5 yards away from it. All the while, I continue my run and score... but the assistant calls offside on player 2.

Should this goal have been disallowed?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Yes. Player 2's offside position affected the defender's positioning and actions, despite player 2 not touching the ball.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 24, 2012

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

joshtothemaxx posted:

Should this goal have been disallowed?

No.

edit:

The defender touching the ball creates a new phase of play, so you should have been fine. Regardless, if player 2 was not interfering in the play then there's no problem. Now if player 2 was interfering with one of the defenders by doing something distracting, he could be called. Assuming he wasn't, there should have been no offence here.

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Glad to see we have a consensus :)

edit: That's what I thought Lamont Cranston. I'm just gonna count that as a goal.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 24, 2012