Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

commissargribb posted:

My wrangler essentially sat for 2 years at my parents' house while I was active duty and somehow the tires managed to go for another 3 years after I moved back and drove them semi-regularly.

soon as replaced my tires, problem went away. just saying for him to take tire balancing into consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

piss boner posted:

soon as replaced my tires, problem went away. just saying for him to take tire balancing into consideration.

oh fair enough.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
yeah i was afraid of that.

ohwell.

And yeah small diesel would also be great in the volvo, but any engine swaps in that thing are going to be an engineering challenge.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I guess I've got a 4.0 donor now.

Slowisfast is going to let me have his plowjeep for scrap value. Going to pull the motor, t-case, harness, and whatever else I need.

Just need a workable 5-speed transmission to plug in and I'll be all set.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

commissargribb posted:

I guess I've got a 4.0 donor now.

Slowisfast is going to let me have his plowjeep for scrap value. Going to pull the motor, t-case, harness, and whatever else I need.

Just need a workable 5-speed transmission to plug in and I'll be all set.

This fall we're moving the plow to a newer truck and getting rid of it.

Poor goldie. At least parts of it will live on.

Burn the interior because many a highschool beeeej happened there...

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Alright fellas....is there anything wrong with a Liberty? A local dealership has an awesome looking liberty sport 4wd with only 75k miles. The fleet manager of this big dealership network owes me a favor for helping them out with something, and he's willing to cut me a nice deal on something. It has the 3.7L, and looks to get around the same fuel mileage of my 08 escape (around 22ish mpg).

I'm going to stop by the dealership at 5 to take a gander at it, and he's probably going to let me take it home for an evening.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

My mom drives an 07 Liberty. She likes it, but I can barely sit in the thing without my head hitting the roof. I am only 5'10" for reference.

EDIT: Actually, I have no idea what year it is. It could be older.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 3, 2012

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Alright fellas....is there anything wrong with a Liberty? A local dealership has an awesome looking liberty sport 4wd with only 75k miles. The fleet manager of this big dealership network owes me a favor for helping them out with something, and he's willing to cut me a nice deal on something. It has the 3.7L, and looks to get around the same fuel mileage of my 08 escape (around 22ish mpg).

I'm going to stop by the dealership at 5 to take a gander at it, and he's probably going to let me take it home for an evening.

My girlfriend has a KK Liberty. She averages about 17mpg in mixed, but mostly fast freeway, driving. It's been an okay vehicle. No major complaints. For what it is it did a respectable job off-road when we took it to the desert. We are probably going to be trading it in on something that gets better mileage in the near future.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

FWIW, we used one as our utility vehicle in the rail yard. For having 200,000 miles on it, and running around in a rail yard, having guys beat the poo poo out of it, doing burn outs, throwing about 3 u joints, and so forth, it was a tough little son of a bitch. It ran like poo poo near the end, the interior was tore to shreds, and there was all sorts of mystery clunks, but that fucker ran a long time.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Thanks for the heads up. I originally wanted to go with an older Cherokee, but the gas mileage is just too much for me right now, as well as a lack of amenities for my wife & baby. I figure if this Liberty checks out nice, I can do some basic mods and have a nice daily driver that isn't afraid to do some light trailing. Here is a pic. I dig the wheels & color combo.

78k miles doesn't seem bad for an 03.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Thanks for the heads up. I originally wanted to go with an older Cherokee, but the gas mileage is just too much for me right now, as well as a lack of amenities for my wife & baby. I figure if this Liberty checks out nice, I can do some basic mods and have a nice daily driver that isn't afraid to do some light trailing. Here is a pic. I dig the wheels & color combo.

78k miles doesn't seem bad for an 03.

Liberty mileage isn't significantly better than Cherokee mileage. I average 18(mostly city) in a '99 Cherokee (4.0L(130k miles), 4wd, 5sp, 3.07 gears).

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Veins McGee posted:

Liberty mileage isn't significantly better than Cherokee mileage. I average 18(mostly city) in a '99 Cherokee (4.0L(130k miles), 4wd, 5sp, 3.07 gears).

Yeah I hear you...but it's more "bare bonesness" of it for my wife and kids. I just went and looked at the Liberty. It's a freedom edition, and is ultra clean. They are asking 10,900 for it. Seems a bit high for an 03, even if it is relatively low mileage for the age. Not sure what I'm going to do.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Not sure what I'm going to do.

Buy a Subaru.

Better ride, better on gas, cheaper.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 3, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Slow is Fast posted:

Poor goldie. At least parts of it will live on.

If the surgery is successful, I'm going to whore up the th with Cherokee decals to annoy wrangler purists even more

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

Is this a good guide for a DIY Cherokee lift?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Yeah I hear you...but it's more "bare bonesness" of it for my wife and kids. I just went and looked at the Liberty. It's a freedom edition, and is ultra clean. They are asking 10,900 for it. Seems a bit high for an 03, even if it is relatively low mileage for the age. Not sure what I'm going to do.

You might check out the Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute too. Look at later years 04+ when they ironed out the little issues. With the 2 or 2.3 liter 4 cylinder and a 5 speed they get good mileage. They're not really made for offroad though (but a fire road or camping is fine).

Edit: durrrr I read well. Looks like you already have an escape. Why the need to switch to a liberty? They're pretty similar cars so you aren't gaining much in the swap.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 3, 2012

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So I'm still trying to fix my track bar problem. I was finally able to check out my old swapped out axle to see if it had a factory track bar, which it does. I did bought my jeep lifted already so I'm not quite sure how the track bar was lengthened. My jeep is lifted three inches, but I have recently swapped axles with a wrecked jeep of unknown ride height. So since it is off center to the drivers side, he must have had less ride height than I did. I think perhaps our brackets are what differs. So I guess I need to buy an adjustable track bar because the only other options seem to be drilling or welding and loving around with mounting locations. Is this correct? Both axles are Dana 30s by the way, and my axle was a 99, now it is a off a 2006.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
2006 would be a JK wouldn't it? I'm not too clear on wrangler year splits. Any chance you could take some pics of the track bar and axle that's on there and the one that came off?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
'06 was the last of the TJs.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
I took a picture of the Grand Cherokee I bought at the mechanics waiting for my inspection slip.

http://i.imgur.com/ocYtN.jpg

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ok, here are a few images of the new axle/track bar versus old axle/track bar. They look pretty much identical to me except for that nasty vermont rust on the old one.

Here are the track bar brackets:

the frame bracket:

old axle:

bad pic of new axle:

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 3, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

You might check out the Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute too. Look at later years 04+ when they ironed out the little issues. With the 2 or 2.3 liter 4 cylinder and a 5 speed they get good mileage. They're not really made for offroad though (but a fire road or camping is fine).

Edit: durrrr I read well. Looks like you already have an escape. Why the need to switch to a liberty? They're pretty similar cars so you aren't gaining much in the swap.

Yeah, I came to my senses last night. I'm just going to hold out until we get a bit more disposable income and then just buy a late 90's XJ as a weekend toy, like the original plan was.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I went junkyard hopping this weekend and saw 3 of these:

So sad seeing completely rust free Comanches being crushed for probably simple emissions problems. There are always several dozen XJs and MJs in the yards here. All 100% rust free and very straight. Thank you CARB!

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

BoostCreep posted:

I went junkyard hopping this weekend and saw 3 of these:

So sad seeing completely rust free Comanches being crushed for probably simple emissions problems. There are always several dozen XJs and MJs in the yards here. All 100% rust free and very straight. Thank you CARB!

:negative:

Those trucks would go for a pretty penny here in New England.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ethanol posted:

Ok, here are a few images of the new axle/track bar versus old axle/track bar. They look pretty much identical to me except for that nasty vermont rust on the old one.

Here are the track bar brackets:

the frame bracket:

old axle:

bad pic of new axle:

not really sure what's going on under there. Hopefully someone else can figure it out... just can't see it well enough.

I think this is my new favorite picture of my MJ (crossposted from 4x4 thread)

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Picked up mint XJ faux wood dash bezel with matching Jensen AccuSound :master: door panels at the junkyard. gently caress you, society, this MJ with a trashed 4.0 will ensconce you in PLASTIC LUXURY.

Almost made up for the lack of 258 cranks floating around.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

OneOverZero posted:

Picked up mint XJ faux wood dash bezel with matching Jensen AccuSound :master: door panels at the junkyard. gently caress you, society, this MJ with a trashed 4.0 will ensconce you in PLASTIC LUXURY.

Almost made up for the lack of 258 cranks floating around.

I enjoy the idea of old MJs getting posh treatment with parts off of burnt out grocery getter XJs

Shubs
Sep 27, 2008

by angerbot

kastein posted:

not really sure what's going on under there. Hopefully someone else can figure it out... just can't see it well enough.

I think this is my new favorite picture of my MJ (crossposted from 4x4 thread)

Where is this thread?

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

commissargribb posted:

I enjoy the idea of old MJs getting posh treatment with parts off of burnt out grocery getter XJs
:heysexy:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Shubs posted:

Where is this thread?
somewhere on the first page of AI. I don't recall the exact name.

That looks incredibly similar to my MJ's interior, except clean.

Now go and find some bucket seats out of an early 90s grey cloth interior 2 door XJ and some MJ bucket seat brackets :D After that, you can fit a full center console, which also comes right out of an XJ.

PS: good call on the fire extinguisher. If you haven't already, I suggest securing it somehow, and making sure the safety pin is in place... don't ask.

PPS: drychem fire extinguisher powder tastes incredibly bad

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

kastein posted:

That looks incredibly similar to my MJ's interior, except clean.

Now go and find some bucket seats out of an early 90s grey cloth interior 2 door XJ and some MJ bucket seat brackets :D After that, you can fit a full center console, which also comes right out of an XJ.

PS: good call on the fire extinguisher. If you haven't already, I suggest securing it somehow, and making sure the safety pin is in place... don't ask.

PPS: drychem fire extinguisher powder tastes incredibly bad
But with Renix fuel injectors and a presumably-stuck tank check valve, why would I need an extinguisher? The flames will just engulf me before I can pull the pin. On my XJs, I've mounted the extinguishers on the passenger side of the trans tunnel at the floor. I should get around to hard-fixing one here (that's just an ABC one I threw in for the time being).

I've got '91-'96 Sport seats and a '97+ Sport/Country set, but haven't found a set of brackets that aren't rusted to gently caress. Might just end up with a Dakota bench. And if anyone has the parking brake blockoff plate for the XJ consoles, I'm all ears. :allears:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The early 90s seats are (IMO, at least) way more comfortable than the later ones, which are almost like a one person bench seat. The early ones have larger side bolsters and almost feel like a really lame race seat.

I don't have a console for you, in fact I'm one short, but here are some numbers:
* 8350 4859 console base MJ 88-90 (same as XJ 87-90 and almost certainly 91-96)
* J400 3663 screws (apparently the MJ needs a specific screw. I bet it's just a longer/shorter one, they're the ones that go through the main plastic into the metal mounting bracket right where the XJ e-brake handle would be)
* 3420 1298 screws (not sure what the hell these do, looks like they hold the little pocket aft of the shifter opening into the console?)
* 5500 8218 bezel/cover (this is the black plastic part that surrounds the shifter and also blocks off or surrounds the e-brake handle opening, depending on if it's an XJ or an MJ. You need this)

Everything else looks to be XJ/MJ crossover. The heater duct doesn't get installed in an MJ, there must be a blockoff plate or redirector manifold mounted up front of the console. In fact, I think I have one of those from a micro-console equipped (column shifted auto 4x4 - really rare around here) MJ I gutted at the junkyard a few years back.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

The 55008218 bezel should be all I need at this point, as junkyard MJ pickings are slim around here (though if you need rust-free XJ parts, I can hook you up). The lower HVAC box is pulled out at the moment (hence its absence in that pic) regardless since I can't figure out my vacuum leak. Going to re-line everything from the manifold to the canister back when I swap in the rebuilt 4.x/AX15.

I didn't even know column-shifted auto MJs existed past the 2.8L/A904 era. The column AW4 XJs were all police package or otherwise special-order as far as I know, so I've just assumed 4.0 MJs never got that option. What was the deal with the one you found?

If I can find some, TSi ZJs had a pretty well-bolstered bucket. I've got a pair of similar seats in a '98 Laredo SE (one of like five, Jesus) ZJ, but they're starting to flatten out. Will probably just go with the '95 XJ Classic buckets.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Couple random pics from small adventures in the past week:

Stampede Pass, Snoqualmie Pass, Washington

Storm rolling in

Just outside of Mazama (actually, perched high above Mazama), N. Cascades

Sweetgrass Butte, N. Cascades

In other news, I finally pulled the trigger on a winch. With the amount of solo trips I take, having that extra bit of security against getting stuck will be a nice change.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 6, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

OneOverZero posted:

The 55008218 bezel should be all I need at this point, as junkyard MJ pickings are slim around here (though if you need rust-free XJ parts, I can hook you up). The lower HVAC box is pulled out at the moment (hence its absence in that pic) regardless since I can't figure out my vacuum leak. Going to re-line everything from the manifold to the canister back when I swap in the rebuilt 4.x/AX15.

I didn't even know column-shifted auto MJs existed past the 2.8L/A904 era. The column AW4 XJs were all police package or otherwise special-order as far as I know, so I've just assumed 4.0 MJs never got that option. What was the deal with the one you found?

If I can find some, TSi ZJs had a pretty well-bolstered bucket. I've got a pair of similar seats in a '98 Laredo SE (one of like five, Jesus) ZJ, but they're starting to flatten out. Will probably just go with the '95 XJ Classic buckets.

It was a red longbed... the tailgate and bumper were trashed, the sides of the bed were horribly rusted, and it had a bench seat, so all I took was the center console (since it seemed useful/difficult to find, and I hate seeing MJ/rare XJ parts go to the crusher if I can save them cheap) and the taillights.

it had a column shift, and was definitely RENIX - I was going to pull all the column shift hardware and the instrument cluster, but managed to slash the poo poo out of my hand trying to remove some bracket or something and packed it in for the day.

I only remember it was auto and 4x4 because it had the smallest center console I've ever seen - it was basically just a surround for the 4x4 lever.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If I drop the track bar, I have to drop the pitman the same length, right? If I buy an adjustable track bar, do I still have to drop the pitman arm?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Braincloud posted:

Couple random pics from small adventures in the past week:

Stampede Pass, Snoqualmie Pass, Washington

Storm rolling in

Just outside of Mazama (actually, perched high above Mazama), N. Cascades

Sweetgrass Butte, N. Cascades

In other news, I finally pulled the trigger on a winch. With the amount of solo trips I take, having that extra bit of security against getting stuck will be a nice change.

That's amazing stuff, dude! I wish forests in Colorado were are lush as the Pac Northwest. There's a radio tower on top of the mountain grew up on, it's usually the first place I drive up to when I visit home. So, here's to radio tower Jeep trips! :cheers:

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
You folks seem jeep-smart. Here's a jeep quandry.

I've got a '93 ZJ that's been in the family since '94 or so, it's belonged to my uncle, my dad, my brother, and now me. It's always been a 2nd or 3rd car, so it's only got 140k miles or so on it.

Anyhow, when it got to me, it was a little tired (and had been used to store about 1000lbs of sakcrete) so I swapped in a new set of springs and shocks, and new lower front control arms. Fine for a few years.

Well, this summer as the the front end was a bit wobbly, I rebuilt the entire front suspension. All new bushings, control arms, tie rod ends, new springs (again), ball joints, the whole shootin' works. If it came off that axle or steering system, it's new.

Got it aligned and it's well within spec. Drives fine, BUT... The track bar is contacting the differential on bumps. It's like the axle is too far forward, or the track bar is too far back?

This thing had an accident early (like 6 months old) in its life before we got it, and the drivers side took the brunt of it. Looking, and measuring, it seems ok, and if that were an issue, it seems like the axle would be pushed BACK on that side, instead of forward. The only thing I've thought of is that the track bar is wrong (bought another one, compared, nope. Looks fine) or that perhaps the track bar mount on the frame is bent?

Thoughts, aside from "Get an XJ," as to what might ameliorate my clanking?

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Its happened to us all, we hop out and shut the door, but the seat belt gets in the way and we slam the door shut on the seat belt.

That happened to me this morning only it seems that it jammed the hook that locks over the metal stud in the opposite direction. I have no idea how to fix this. Ive tried yanking on it with pliers, but all I did was pull off that plastic teflon coating. It seems to be stuck pretty good.

Any ideas? I have a piece of rope holding the door shut right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd just replace it with a latch from a scrapped car, it's not going to be expensive.