Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
These guests have been powered off & on again and they aren't picking up the new EVC type. We had to power them off to migrate as the cluster they came from is so old it pre dates EVC compatibility.

They only jump up to sandy bridge mode after the v8 hardware upgrade.

edit: I ran some CPU benchmarks with PassMark on Windows and they were virtually the same between v7 & 8 so it looks like there is definitely no performance benefit.

thanks guys

GrandMaster fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Do you have that monitor rotated or something?

There's definitely ClearType turned on there, but the subpixels aren't lining up. Maybe it's just my eyes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'd put in a vote for vSphere Client is complete poo poo at rendering anything.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

FISHMANPET posted:

It's not the client's fault per se; WPF uses hardware acceleration to render vector shapes like fonts and sometimes you end up with really weird-looking results.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

After wrestling with MS Project for the last 6 hours, it is now telling me that it's going to take the next 18 months to upgrade our environment to vSphere 5.

Along the way we'll be retiring all non supported hardware (20% of the environment), ESX3.x (another 20%), lots of old FC(40% ish of the storage) and consolidating 9 segregated networks down to 5 while moving more towards 10GbE and NFS and away from 1GbE and FC.

:smithicide: I wanted a job with a challenge, this one appears to need a lobotomy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Mausi posted:

After wrestling with MS Project for the last 6 hours, it is now telling me that it's going to take the next 18 months to upgrade our environment to vSphere 5.

Along the way we'll be retiring all non supported hardware (20% of the environment), ESX3.x (another 20%), lots of old FC(40% ish of the storage) and consolidating 9 segregated networks down to 5 while moving more towards 10GbE and NFS and away from 1GbE and FC.

:smithicide: I wanted a job with a challenge, this one appears to need a lobotomy.
You're making my "The IBM SONAS team wants you to change every GID in your network" project seem like a breath of fresh air by comparison.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

FISHMANPET posted:

Don't worry, the Flex UI is the future!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Why can't I install vCenter 4.1 on Windows 7? XP is supported.

Jerks.

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

"He seriously didn't go mech?"

Moey posted:

Why can't I install vCenter 4.1 on Windows 7? XP is supported.

Jerks.

I can run it on Windows 7 64-bit, are you using the 32-bit edition?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Blaminator posted:

I can run it on Windows 7 64-bit, are you using the 32-bit edition?

Nope. Win 7 pro x64.

Only way to get it to install is to modify the msi.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Just the vSphere client, or something else? I've got no problems running the client on Win 7 Enterprise x64.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The post explicitly said vCenter

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well poo poo, maybe when I actually have a vCenter server I'll be able to tell them apart.

But why would you install it on a desktop OS?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FISHMANPET posted:

Well poo poo, maybe when I actually have a vCenter server I'll be able to tell them apart.

But why would you install it on a desktop OS?

It is at our DR site/Colo and is only managing 3 hosts (essentials plus).

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Moey posted:

It is at our DR site/Colo and is only managing 3 hosts (essentials plus).
Shove it on a VM and affinity it to the first host in the cluster so you can find it easily in an emergency.

\/\/\/\/\/\/
Congratulations!

Mausi fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 30, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Woot passed my VCP5!

Now to revise that OP

Moey posted:

Nope. Win 7 pro x64.

Only way to get it to install is to modify the msi.

Why not install it on 2008r2 and just use the 180 day trial?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/default.aspx

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 30, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

What a great idea for disaster recovery in a site that someone is presumably paying thousands of dollars for monthly

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

What a great idea for disaster recovery in a site that someone is presumably paying thousands of dollars for monthly

Normally I wouldn't see someone installing vcenter server on a desktop OS for a production environment. My mistake

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 1, 2012

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Misogynist posted:

Pay a couple hundred of those thousands and get a real server OS.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
When confronted with a bad situation, the goal should always be to make it worse.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
For a computer at home to learn on would a newer d2500 intel atom with 4GB of ram be enough or is that going to be too slow? I just need a small quiet pc that can host with centos and run a server 2008 vm to play around with.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Christobevii3 posted:

For a computer at home to learn on would a newer d2500 intel atom with 4GB of ram be enough or is that going to be too slow? I just need a small quiet pc that can host with centos and run a server 2008 vm to play around with.
Atoms don't support hardware virtualization extensions. Unless I'm mistaken, that means you can only run 64-bit VMs with VMware Workstation 8 or ESXi 5, because other hypervisors don't do 64-bit binary translation. Performance should be acceptable for unladen testing, but you'll probably end up with clock skew problems on your Windows VM after a while.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
yeah those don't support virtualization, you can however get a really cheap AMD quad/tri core that does.

You can check CPU support here
http://www.cpu-world.com/index.html
Virtualization support will be like this
AMD is AMD-V
Intel is Intel-VT

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 2, 2012

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If I go with the a8 amd cpu, how bad is the linux support going to be for the host?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Christobevii3 posted:

If I go with the a8 amd cpu, how bad is the linux support going to be for the host?

Wait are you planning to run ESXi or Workstation I am confused here.

Esxi, installs right onto the hardware you don't have *nix drivers of sorts, you can add custom drivers to esxi 5 but that is a whole different beast I don't think you want to get into.

Workstation, would install on *nix, I have found Centos to work decently for AMD, fedora never worked right as far as graphics drivers. I run an X6 and M5A97 as well as a 6970 and was able to have it stable with Workstation 2012 beta. I have no idea about Debian based distros, I would assume ubuntu would have decent support for workstation.

If you give me your budget I can spec some things out

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'm reading through that EMC storage book because I don't know that much about storage hardware. While I find the more practical aspects about NAS/SAN easy to pick up, a lot of the extra details I find a bit involved.

Do I really give a poo poo about the frames in a SAN that much down to what each set of bytes is doing?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Somebody somewhere has to understand what they're doing, because otherwise it wouldn't work in the first place. The person who understands that gets to dictate their own salary. Might as well be that guy.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I suppose. I meant more along the lines of how often would you use such knowledge?

For instance, I can set up networks and have an intermediate understanding of how it works, but I couldn't tell you the exact structure of a packet because it almost never relates to the tasks I tend to be doing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sylink posted:

Do I really give a poo poo about the frames in a SAN that much down to what each set of bytes is doing?
It kinda makes or breaks performance, so yeah?

Sylink posted:

For instance, I can set up networks and have an intermediate understanding of how it works, but I couldn't tell you the exact structure of a packet because it almost never relates to the tasks I tend to be doing.
Until poo poo breaks in weird ways, and you don't understand how the layers interact with each other.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm going to disagree. Unless your title is Storage Admin, you probably do not need to know that nitty gritty.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
$400-500 would be good.

I was looking at the amd a8-3850, 8GB of ram (maybe 16), 120GB ssd?, case, and power supply.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

It kinda makes or breaks performance, so yeah?
Eh, I'm torn on this one. It does, but the FC layer is at fault for so few performance issues in small SANs that you can pretty much ignore it if you're not doing anything stupid. It might be useful to keep an eye on performance counters like class 3 discards so you can tell if the switch is backing up because your storage is underspecified, or because you have an incorrectly configured ISL over a 2 km distance, but I couldn't even tell you the last time I've had to look at the performance on our switches instead of our storage arrays.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Misogynist posted:

Eh, I'm torn on this one. It does, but the FC layer is at fault for so few performance issues in small SANs that you can pretty much ignore it if you're not doing anything stupid.
Now keep in mind my FC knowledge is pretty much zero compared to yours (ethernet forever) but the same kind of logic can apply to say, a data stripe once you're on the storage head.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

evil_bunnY posted:

Now keep in mind my FC knowledge is pretty much zero compared to yours (ethernet forever) but the same kind of logic can apply to say, a data stripe once you're on the storage head.

Whats up ethernet buddy :):hf::)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

As more and more midrange storage gets virtualized and pooled (StorWize V7000, VNX, etc.) the idea of a "data stripe" becomes really abstract and less meaningful anyway. I agree that this is important on dumb arrays (LSI/Engenio, DDN, so forth), but there's lots of cases nowadays where what you know about disk fundamentals will get you in trouble if you try to overextend that knowledge to somewhere it doesn't apply.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sylink posted:

I suppose. I meant more along the lines of how often would you use such knowledge?

Depends on the environment really. Day to day I deal with mostly NFS, iscsi, or SAS. Knowing the difference between iscsi and NFS is huge for vmware in terms of RDM, latency, backups, replication, deduplication, file access, and other features. I see good amount of simplistic errors on a day to day as well such as write cache disabled, improper raid types for services, I/O contention, and trivial things like that.

Generally unless you know you are going to work with FC stick to NFS/iscsi and how they work with the backend FS and TCP/IP stack, RAID types, replication, eliminating SPoFs, disk provisioning in terms of IOPS, and things like that. Unless you plan to be deploying storage on a day to day basis you won't need to know bit by bit how DRBD works, but it is good to know.

Christobevii3 posted:

$400-500 would be good.

I was looking at the amd a8-3850, 8GB of ram (maybe 16), 120GB ssd?, case, and power supply.
Workstation or ESXi, remember you can run esxi in workstation and still keep a good amount of the features. Fault tolorance is the only one I think you lose, I think deployment and configuration of the Nexus 1000V is possible in 8/2012

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 2, 2012

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I'm mainly looking to have it to play around with stuff so fault tolerance isn't a huge issue. Probably looking at: Server 2008 to mess with active directory, cent os, windows 7 install, and maybe ubuntu desktop. Would that hardware work ok? It looked like esxi is picky about network and sata controllers? Is it better to just get an intel mobo then?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Christobevii3 posted:

I'm mainly looking to have it to play around with stuff so fault tolerance isn't a huge issue. Probably looking at: Server 2008 to mess with active directory, cent os, windows 7 install, and maybe ubuntu desktop. Would that hardware work ok? It looked like esxi is picky about network and sata controllers? Is it better to just get an intel mobo then?

Esxi 5 is, I run VMware workstation and esxi + vcenter + iscsi storage and do most of what I'll put something together before tonight

actually what is your system upgrading it with some SSD's, ram, and upping the CPU might be best cost wise

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 3, 2012

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Do you storage and system types see any information out there recommending (one way or another) settings for prefetching behavior at all?

From my understanding, system-side prefectching (memory, etc) is pretty much something to avoid in an ESXi box, and I would imagine it's the same for storage when I/O patterns begin to look almost completely random (i.e. from a bunch of ESXi hosts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Holy poo poo, if I'd known I was going to be presenting my 2 month old VMWare implementation plan in front of my boss' boss, I would have worn nicer pants.

Also, can anyone critique my physical layout?

The switches are 10G, all the connections between hosts and storage is 10G, connection back to the router close is currently 1G, but we might go to etherchannel and do double or quadruple ports there.