Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
with poo poo like hapkido the best case scenario is that you're wasting your time without getting ripped off. new belts every month means you're most likely getting ripped off, so congratulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Sounds kinda bullshit, yeah. But is it fun?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paul Pot posted:

with poo poo like hapkido the best case scenario is that you're wasting your time without getting ripped off. new belts every month means you're most likely getting ripped off, so congratulations.

Hapkido is very, very, very dependent on the club. That one sounds pretty standard McDojo.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

To expand on my previous "it's bullshit" statement, you say the instructor is 9th Dan but there's few results on google for him - I have no idea how it works in Hapkido, but my BJJ instructor is 1st Dan, and if you google his name, the first 5 pages of results point to him. He's only been in an English speaking country for a couple of years, too.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 2, 2012

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Someone correct me, but I thought that high level "Dan" ranks (ie, 8 through 10) in traditional asian martial arts are supposed to be very rare and more akin to lifetime achievement awards - as in, only really really old dudes are supposed to have things like 9th Dan or 10th Dan or whatever, and there's usually only one or two of them alive for any particular system.

So I would instantly be suspicious of anyone outside of Japan who claims anything above an 8th Dan in a system - especially if they don't show up on Google as giving seminars across the world, or whatever.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
You can be 9th dan of whatever you want... if you just make it up.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

You can be 9th dan of whatever you want... if you just make it up.

No, you missed the point, he's the 9th guy called Dan to get a black belt.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

entris posted:

Someone correct me, but I thought that high level "Dan" ranks (ie, 8 through 10) in traditional asian martial arts are supposed to be very rare and more akin to lifetime achievement awards - as in, only really really old dudes are supposed to have things like 9th Dan or 10th Dan or whatever, and there's usually only one or two of them alive for any particular system.

So I would instantly be suspicious of anyone outside of Japan who claims anything above an 8th Dan in a system - especially if they don't show up on Google as giving seminars across the world, or whatever.

The whole idea of ranks was only invented at the end of the 1800s by Kano. In Judo at least getting up to around 6th Dan can happen for anyone through a lifetime commitment to the art. Anything above that is largely honorary and given for people who make a big impact via coaching/reffing/being an ambassador for the art/etc... There have been a total of fifteen 10th holders ever, most awarded posthumously. And you pretty much have to be male and Japanese.

I do know that a number of Korean Hapkido Masters emigrated to the United States in the early 70s. They were generally all 6th Dans when they came over.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 2, 2012

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
unrelated chat:

Holy gently caress those small gloves can crack you. Sparred with em for the first time last friday and hot drat. Even with headgear, a good overhand to the jaw will hurt like a mother the next day

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Thoguh posted:

I do know that a number of Korean Hapkido Masters emigrated to the United States in the early 70s. They were generally all 6th Dans when they came over.

I'm in Australia... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-9hveX-fw8 - this is literally the only footage of him, I've ever seen... And even then I can not pick him out.

I sort of wish I researched this earlier on... Than just getting dragged in by my friend, but thanks anyway about the conclusion.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So I've been looking into martial arts a lot lately and thinking of learning one, was looking into kyokushin karate but goons in the #mma channel all convinced me to take Muay Thai since I was looking for a good striking art. After doing some research it turns out there is a supposedly really really good gym in my city: http://www.tampamuaythai.com/kmt/ led by Khru Ray Cole. I went to the free intro session and I'm already hopelessly addicted to it! :hellyeah:

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Has anyone here ever been involved in organizing a BJJ+No-Gi competition? Im only a white belt, but unfortunately most of the tournaments are always in the city around 4 hours away. However, my city, along with a few other cities within 2 hours away have big enough BJJ schools (My city has a Carlson Gracie school, a Gracie Barra school, and atleast two MMA schools that have brown belts teaching at them. There's also a large gracie barra place in both the other 3 cities nearby) that I feel like we could easily host one in town. The city Im in also has plenty of venues (the town hosts a lot of national and international sports competitions). Is there really anything I can do as just a white belt here to try and get a tournament going? Or is this just really something out of my league? Its just frustrating to have to be available to drive 4hours away, usually stay the night somewhere, to compete. As well, Im sure some guys from the larger cities would come also to compete.

Who usually organizes these events? Is it usually a school that finds sponsorship? How does that work? Does it need connection with CBJJF/IBJJF? Hell, even if it wasnt a large tournament but more an open style competition between schools would be awesome too to try and clear some of the tension between them (apparently there's some tensions between the GB place here and the rest of the schools, for reasons I don't know). Ill be working in one of the nearby towns for a bit, so Ill be able to get in touch with the main instructors that would have to be involved as well. How do I approach this?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swagger like us posted:

Has anyone here ever been involved in organizing a BJJ+No-Gi competition? Im only a white belt, but unfortunately most of the tournaments are always in the city around 4 hours away. However, my city, along with a few other cities within 2 hours away have big enough BJJ schools (My city has a Carlson Gracie school, a Gracie Barra school, and atleast two MMA schools that have brown belts teaching at them. There's also a large gracie barra place in both the other 3 cities nearby) that I feel like we could easily host one in town. The city Im in also has plenty of venues (the town hosts a lot of national and international sports competitions). Is there really anything I can do as just a white belt here to try and get a tournament going? Or is this just really something out of my league? Its just frustrating to have to be available to drive 4hours away, usually stay the night somewhere, to compete. As well, Im sure some guys from the larger cities would come also to compete.

Who usually organizes these events? Is it usually a school that finds sponsorship? How does that work? Does it need connection with CBJJF/IBJJF? Hell, even if it wasnt a large tournament but more an open style competition between schools would be awesome too to try and clear some of the tension between them (apparently there's some tensions between the GB place here and the rest of the schools, for reasons I don't know). Ill be working in one of the nearby towns for a bit, so Ill be able to get in touch with the main instructors that would have to be involved as well. How do I approach this?

BJJ doesn't have a unified body in the United States that sanctions competitions. USA Judo and USA Wrestling both have tried to lay claim to it but neither are actually offering any support. So competitions are pretty much just held by schools or organizations that want to hold one, using whatever ruleset they decide on. As far as the schools in your area - I know Gracie Barra holds tournaments among it's member schools, or at least they did in SoCal when I worked out with them there.

Getting an event organized would be a whole lot of effort. Stuff like getting insured and having referees and other volunteers is no small task. Unless you're willing to pretty much devote your life to it for a few months you would have trouble getting a tournament going yourself.

What would be a lot easier to do would be to see if you could get an open mat scheduled where people from all the schools can roll together. That would give you the chance to test yourself against guys from other schools without the trouble and expense of trying to organize a tournament.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Israfel posted:

So I've been looking into martial arts a lot lately and thinking of learning one, was looking into kyokushin karate but goons in the #mma channel all convinced me to take Muay Thai since I was looking for a good striking art. After doing some research it turns out there is a supposedly really really good gym in my city: http://www.tampamuaythai.com/kmt/ led by Khru Ray Cole. I went to the free intro session and I'm already hopelessly addicted to it! :hellyeah:

Guilty is the MT encyclopedia around here and can correct me on this, but I have trouble envisioning a "really really good gym" when the head instructor's accomplishments are limited to "Best Wai Khru Award 2010" and he promotes this kind of garbage on his website
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxJ9yJ5i-eI

In Germany/Holland gym membership usually costs around 50€ all in, but I can't be for certain that you're getting ripped off by paying twice as much as martial arts training seems to be excessively expensive in North America in general (besides boxing).

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Paul Pot posted:

Guilty is the MT encyclopedia around here and can correct me on this, but I have trouble envisioning a "really really good gym" when the head instructor's accomplishments are limited to "Best Wai Khru Award 2010" and he promotes this kind of garbage on his website
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxJ9yJ5i-eI

In Germany/Holland gym membership usually costs around 50€ all in, but I can't be for certain that you're getting ripped off by paying twice as much as martial arts training seems to be excessively expensive in North America in general (besides boxing).

I won't have time to judge videos til tomorrow, but the website does state that all trainers at the gym must be certified boxing trainers by state of Florida commission, so that's a pretty good sign. At least you should get a good work out if it isn't strong trade thai. And they should be able to care for you in case of injury.

On the negative side, fighters training and sparring only for fighters seems kinda like a poo poo deal

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Cross post from the B league thread.

Semi pro fight, 2 x 4 minute rounds,

First round is clearly fighter A's round, 10-9.
Second round solidly fighter B's, but not as convincingly as round 1, 19-19.

What should happen next?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Organizing a grappling tournament is a lot more trouble than you want to deal with. It's basically a full time job.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fontoyn posted:

Holy gently caress those small gloves can crack you. Sparred with em for the first time last friday and hot drat. Even with headgear, a good overhand to the jaw will hurt like a mother the next day

I was pissed when this one fighter at our gym was doing kickboxing sparring with 8oz MMA gloves. I told him to take it easy but he still put full power into his head punches. It was the closest I got to losing my cool in the ring and fouling to get outta there.

willie_dee posted:

Semi pro fight, 2 x 4 minute rounds,

First round is clearly fighter A's round, 10-9.
Second round solidly fighter B's, but not as convincingly as round 1, 19-19.

What should happen next?

If there's no provision for extension rounds, the fight is a draw. If the judging rules are to score round by round, then it doesn't matter how what happens in the rounds; the only thing that carries is the round score.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Raphisonfire posted:

I'm in Australia... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-9hveX-fw8 - this is literally the only footage of him, I've ever seen... And even then I can not pick him out.

I sort of wish I researched this earlier on... Than just getting dragged in by my friend, but thanks anyway about the conclusion.

A lot of the stuff in this video looks very choreographed. People are falling in ways that don't really make any sense to me, except to make the guy performing the throw look cooler. There's a lot of "I'm going to stand just like this so that my partner can do this technique now". Compare it to watching judo footage which looks more like "I'm going to stand like this so that the other guy can't OH GOD HE DID HOW DID I BECOME AIRBORNE". Thoguh should have a look at it though, he knows more about this. Footage starts at about the two minute mark.

With regards to the australian police thing, I know a guy in the police force who spends a lot of time on combatives stuff, he told me the program he was doing was sambo-based. He's in a small unit that travels around busting drug labs though, so he probably does a lot more than the average patrolman. I'll need to ask him more about it.

Yaltabaoth
Mar 24, 2007

Raphisonfire posted:

Honestly that looks like it could be taken straight out of an old 70's wu tang film.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Israfel posted:

Get at it man. I've been doing it for 3 months and I'm obsessed.

Get some proper gear and shin guards. I recommend the "King" shin guards (as will everyone else here)

No belts, no silly tradition, no kids, no bullshit. Just training.

The beginning sucks. Lots of pain, aches, bruises, etc. Someone mentioned it before but there comes a point when you kick the bag and it's like a loving baseball bat. Feels good, man. I'm finally not feeling such a sting on my shins when I kick and I can go all out.

swagger like us posted:

Cool, how long did you go for? What was your total budget and expenses, and how did you do it? (did you just book everything seperate and got there, or use something like ConnectionRio?)

I didn't really go with the pretense of training but it was in the back of my head. I was there for 2 months and trained a month of BJJ 5x a week. I'd never done it before just had a history of wrestling. It was awesome. I was doing a whole South America trip so I can't say much about my budget. For starters, Brazil is pretty pricey by South American standards. You're not going to get some $400-500 Thailand poo poo with food/board/training. I'm sure they exist but who knows. I was the only white guy in my class (There was 2 different instructors. One morning one afternoon. I just stuck with mine in the afternoon) So it was fine getting my rear end kicked by Brazilians. They were very enthusiastic to teach me, hang out, etc.

I forgot exactly what I paid. With my gi and the whole month I think it was almost 200 reals?

1 Brazilian Real is about $.50-60

I was in a hostel at first but wasn't training yet since I was in and out of Rio. There was a guy that stayed in the hostel that was training there at the morning classes. I ended up meeting some British guy through someone who was looking for a roomate. Little pricey, $500 for the month I think I paid. But it was a 2 bedroom flat right in Copacabana across the street from the hostel I was at so I could still hang at their bar and swoop traveling floozies and it was 2 blocks from the beach. Copacabana is the pretty ritzy area of Rio.

So I'd try to find a place to rent for however long you're going to be there. Someone looking for a roomie. You'll need to set cash aside for partying as well. I figure the lessons were probably $50-80 a month? I'm sure there's a gringo price as well. Then $400-600 for a place. Then of course food and such. Every corner has a little food place with these salty pastries to go, fresh juice, etc. I walked to and from class and would just grab a nice fresh acai after training and a couple meat pastries and bullshit with the dudes. I always tipped them a decent amount so of course the were real friendly.

I trained under Alan Moraes who is all over youtube/google. You can hit him up on facebook as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndh2XDEwV4Q

I had no idea he was so well known. I just asked around and some people told me about the school. They don't advertise to tourist at all. I just showed up one day. It was at a Carlson Gracie school. They had some lovely website with no info that I can't find. Of course every school there will have Gracie in the name.

Usually he'd just have the brown belts show me things. There was another black belt chick that'd come in sometimes and show me stuff. That's the other thing i love about BJJ there. Your belt really means something. There was guys training there for 10 years since the were 15 who weren't even black belts yet. Guy training for 4 years who was only a blue belt. And he was loving good. He was from Uruguay and was trying to master Jiu Jitsu so he could go to California and open a school.

The school is shanty as gently caress. Broken windows, nasty mats, mold in the shower, leaking ceilings. I loved it. I've posted these pics before but whatever. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I was also volunteering at the favela Rocinha. I definitely recommend anyone that can to train BJJ in Rio and get a gig teaching English or volunteering in a favela.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 3, 2012

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Quit my old gym. Moved to a new one. I THINK I like it more. The coach is definitely much more hands on in terms of instructor as well as lot louder with hollering at you to push it. Going to get in the rhythm of things and then see if I can start some light sparring here. A lot less people for muay thai, although the BJJ classes seem pretty full.

Twisted the poo poo out of my ankle stepping back down after a kick though. When it comes to RICE, how like do I ice before I wrap it? The internet gives differing times, I've been icing 20 minutes on and 20 off for like 2 hours at this point.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Going to my first Muay Thai lesson tomorrow. It starts with a 60-75 minute personal lesson and intro followed by a 30 day free trial so he's definitely willing to let you try before you buy. Any other tips for making sure it's worth my time? I read the OP so I'll be looking for sparring, contact, no Zen BS.

I did Hapkido for a semester in college and was unimpressed - the whole thing seemed showy and impractical. The belts + tradition were a turn-off. I'm hoping Muay Thai will be more fun.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Keep your hands up. Turn your hips inward on your kicks and make sure you get a good rotation on your foot. The rest will follow.

Get close so you're not kickin with your feet. It hurts. Arms length from the bag is a good rule of thumb. Light feet, always on the balls of your feet. Don't be flat foot. Don't bounce a lot like Taekwondo. Keep your arms/hands pretty motionless. Don't cross your feet if you can avoid it. Move right with your back foot and left with your front, etc.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
This may seem really obvious, but don't wear shoes while training. Barefoot, or the cotton abrasion protectors. They're like anchors on your feet (can be good when you're stronger and can easily do 200-500 kicks in succession on a bag), but more importantly, they mess up your balance and stride, and act as padding which lets you kick with your foot or instep instead of your shin and develop bad habits.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
No you got it all wrong, shoes are the most awesome thing when kicking.

(ok, not in MT)

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
So after reading this thread I decided to try Muay Thai (there are a few gyms in Ottawa, opted for N1-Thai Boxing, if that even means anything to anyone). I had been doing Wing-Chun for a few months and was thoroughly unimpressed with the whole thing, seemed a bit too magical for the amount of non-physical work we were doing.

MT is so refreshing, in the sense that when I come back from the gym I feel sore and beat-up and like I actually accomplished/learned things. Very happy.

Sort of feel insignificant for now though: most of the people at the gym are early 20s and I'm 28. I'd like to have a chance to fight some day (totally amateur, I have no delusions [I hope]). I don't know if I'm too old to ever have that chance, given a few years of training?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Sort of feel insignificant for now though: most of the people at the gym are early 20s and I'm 28. I'd like to have a chance to fight some day (totally amateur, I have no delusions [I hope]). I don't know if I'm too old to ever have that chance, given a few years of training?

It's totally possible, but of course depends on your body and training regimen. You can use your age as a motivator in training.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

The RECAPITATOR posted:

I started Muay Thai when I was 28 and had my first B class fight a year later. But I did MMA and boxing beforehand so the switch wasn't that intense. Over the summer there was a no name Japanese fighter who beat yodsaenklai in points at the age of 35. Don't worry, train hard

mewse
May 2, 2006

The RECAPITATOR posted:

I started boxing at 28, it is two years later and I'm having my first amateur bout in a month.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Well, that's all pretty encouraging, honestly!

I'll keep at it (was going to anyway) and hopefully someday I can get my face caved in in public!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Crossposting from the Grappling thread: The IJF posted a preview video of the -60kg competition for the Olympics. It's basically just a short highlight video of the top medal contenders, but it's still worth a watch.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thoguh posted:

Crossposting from the Grappling thread: The IJF posted a preview video of the -60kg competition for the Olympics. It's basically just a short highlight video of the top medal contenders, but it's still worth a watch.

Where are the double-legs? :smith:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fontoyn posted:

You just have to trick your opponent into taking a cross grip first

IJF Rule clarification posted:

“As long as a contestant makes a cross grip, that means with a grip with two hands, one hand on the opposite side of the back, shoulder or arm of the other contestant, he should attack immediately or the referee must penalize with SHIDO. In this situation is permitted for the other contestant to grab the legs of his opponent
without any penalty”

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Fontoyn posted:

I remember hearing somewhere, and this may be completely wrong, that they made double-legs illegal since you had guys who specialized in those like Joćo Derly who were way too strong and were overwhelming the weaker and more technical fighters.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Cyphoderus posted:

I remember hearing somewhere, and this may be completely wrong, that they made double-legs illegal since you had guys who specialized in those like Joćo Derly who were way too strong and were overwhelming the weaker and more technical fighters.

One of the big issues was that they had to visually differentiate themselves from wrestling in order to maintain their status as an Olympic sport.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Cyphoderus posted:

I remember hearing somewhere, and this may be completely wrong, that they made double-legs illegal since you had guys who specialized in those like Joćo Derly who were way too strong and were overwhelming the fighters who were weaker and more technical.

What happened was a Mongolian won the Olympics at Heavyweight in 2008 by hitting a doubleleg for a partial score and then stalling out the rest of the match. So two things happened. The first was the IJF freaking out that people would think they were too close to wrestling and they needed to differentiate themselves to avoid getting cut from the Olympics in the future. The second was that rather than teaching the referees to do a better job of calling stalling they cut out leg grabs, which are a huge part of Judo! In my opinion it was one of the worst rule changes they have ever made. They have softened on it a bit, but I am hoping after the Olympics they basically get rid of that rule chance (They don't make big rule changes in the middle of Olympic cycles, only right after the Games).

I totally understand the emphasis on "Ippon Judo" over people stalling and playing it safe all the time. But that can be accomplished via small changes and more zealous calling of passivity. No need to alter the whole sport for it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Does anyone have a travel heavy job? I am looking around for a new spot , and I am trying to figure out if taking something like that position will just kill my bjj.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

Does anyone have a travel heavy job? I am looking around for a new spot , and I am trying to figure out if taking something like that position will just kill my bjj.

Yes, and it will.

Your schedule won't be reliable, your diet will suck, and the lack of a set schedule also makes it way easier to skip workouts when you actually are in town.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Guilty posted:

I started Muay Thai when I was 28 and had my first B class fight a year later. But I did MMA and boxing beforehand so the switch wasn't that intense. Over the summer there was a no name Japanese fighter who beat yodsaenklai in points at the age of 35. Don't worry, train hard

Then again, Yod has to be the most complacent fighter in Thailand's history. But ya, you can compete in amateur fights until you're around 40 without slowing down significantly as long as you stay in shape & live a healthy life. Pro fighters usually age quicker because their bodies go through too much punishment.

• Locked thread