Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
So the system updates button under about phone isn't selectable. (Its grayed out) before I charged my phone it wasn't optional. Any one know why it would be completely unavailable now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

cuedotnet posted:

So the system updates button under about phone isn't selectable. (Its grayed out) before I charged my phone it wasn't optional. Any one know why it would be completely unavailable now?

temporary signal drop or roaming. Remember, updates pull only over cell signal and won't pull over wifi.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

I think maybe because it was prepping for the install... cause its downloading!!!! ^_^

__

Wasn't on wifi. Don't matter now. Its a downloadin!

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

I'm Mister Hundred and One.
Looks like my Maxx is calling home.

"An update is currently being downloaded. You will be notified when the download is complete."

Kick rear end.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

temporary signal drop or roaming. Remember, updates pull only over cell signal and won't pull over wifi.

Not true. I didn't even have the SIM card in mine. It updated over wifi.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
For those who arnt getting it, Clear Data for the google services app. It forced mine after saying "no update available" 5 times in a row.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Ice cream sand which is do delicious!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
After downgrading to stock GB from an Eclipse rom I checked software update and it immediately discovered the ICS update. 15% downloaded and counting. Can't wait!

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
So I have this problem.

Four days ago I stopped getting data at my apartment. Prior to that I could get 4G no problem. I don't even get 3G???

I biked over to the Verizon store which is a few blocks away, and the lady looked at me funny because the 4G popped up.

I biked back home and sure enough, no 4G/3G. What the hell is going on?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Not an Anthem posted:

So I have this problem.

Four days ago I stopped getting data at my apartment. Prior to that I could get 4G no problem. I don't even get 3G???

I biked over to the Verizon store which is a few blocks away, and the lady looked at me funny because the 4G popped up.

I biked back home and sure enough, no 4G/3G. What the hell is going on?

Possible local tower issue. Something similar to me happened a few months ago to be where I could get no data on 4G despite having full signal on my gnex. Once I forced 3g only, it worked fine.

I'd try calling a csr, they might be able to pin it down to a tower

alwayslost
May 17, 2007
and never found
Finally got my OTA update to ICS for my Razr Maxx! Installing now...

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Still waiting on my Rezound which was supposed to get it in Q1 2012

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Loving my GNex so far. It does report very low signal strength, but haven't had any data or voice issue yet. Also no 4g in my area, but I'll get to try that next week when I go home for a couple days. Battery life is about on par with my OG Incredible so far. Might try the extended battery for it too.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
So.. I'm getting my GNex replaced free based on previous issue. They still think it could be an area problem with 4G service. My reception is definitely lower on my gnex than on the store guys motorola.

I went in, described the four day no 4g problem and he said it could be cell or cell tower. He let me borrow his phone to ride to my apartment and back to see if 4g dropped for his phone and it didn't, so he's replacing the phone.

Furthermore where did I find a magic helpful verizon wireless store? They are the most helpful employees anywhere, all their sales people are super geeky techs who don't get techy unless you ask enough questions.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

He let you borrow his phone? I'm impressed.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Today looks to be the last day of the 50% off 4G batteries. Picked up a Galaxy Nexus extended battery for $25 + tax.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
Does anyone know if Verizon would provide a 4G SIM card for a Droid 4 if I purchased it from eBay or another 3rd-party source? A listing I'm looking at says that a SIM card is not included in the lot.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Fluue posted:

Does anyone know if Verizon would provide a 4G SIM card for a Droid 4 if I purchased it from eBay or another 3rd-party source? A listing I'm looking at says that a SIM card is not included in the lot.
When I activated my Razr Maxx on the website, there was an option to request a sim there. You might be able to walk into a store and have them give you one there and activate it for you.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Fluue posted:

You have to walk into Verizon and ask for a SIM card, which should be free. You don't want someone else's SIM card, it's tied to their account.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
I am debating on adding a line to my plan and I have unlimited data, if I do that will I automatically lose it?

edit: Thanks for the quick replies.

Dandy Cat fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 1, 2012

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Dandy Cat posted:

I am debating on adding a line to my plan and I have unlimited data, if I do that will I automatically lose it?

Yes, you will have to choose either a tiered (2GB-$30, 5GB-$50, etc) or Share Everything.

Edit: re-read my docs.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 2, 2012

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

Dandy Cat posted:

The original line would keep the unlimited data but your new added line would only be able to opt into the tiered data plans, unless you want to switch the entire account over to shared.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Consider this scenario:

Phone 1 is a 4g smartphone with unlimited data
Phone 2 is a featurephone on the same account with no data

Phone 1 is eligible for upgrade. Do an alternate upgrade to a 4G phone on phone number 2. Then, reactivated the featurephone on that number, and swap the new 4G phone onto phone number 1.

Since this is functionally the same as activating a full retail or eBay device, would this allow for continued unlimited? Or would the unlimited die with the contract signing of an alternate upgrade?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Since this is functionally the same as activating a full retail or eBay device, would this allow for continued unlimited? Or would the unlimited die with the contract signing of an alternate upgrade?
As far as I can tell, we're still waiting on confirmation one way or another. See the last section of this CNET article.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah, still seems fuzzy on the alternate upgrade / switching phones part. However, this ...

AdmiralViscen posted:

Since this is functionally the same as activating a full retail or eBay device,
seems wrong. As I remember it (I'm not an employee), when you use an alternate upgrade you sign a new contract for the line whose upgrade you use -- in your hypothetical, that would mean a new contract for line 1. New contract most likely means agreeing to the new terms.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Alternate upgrades are forcing the tiered data plans onto the line that is receiving the phone. It sucks, because vzw has stated it should not. The workaround is just do it the old fashioned way, before alternate upgrades were an option. Upgrade the line that has the upgrade, manual esn swap. This will require a new sim card unless you can swap your old one into the device.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Incredible 4G will be in my hands tommorow.

Hitting the Corp stores on the 5th.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Mighty Horse posted:

Incredible 4G will be in my hands tommorow.

Hitting the Corp stores on the 5th.

Does it ship with ICS? Sense 4? Any rumors on battery life?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Droid Life has an unboxing and overview of the Incredible 4G up today.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/02/droid-incredible-4g-lte-unboxing-and-overview/

It's funny, it looks so tiny after being used to 4.3 and 4.6 inch phones.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Got my ICS update on the Razr Maxx this morning. Holy awesome battery life. 5 straight hours of mucking around with the new features and UI and im still at 70%, I love this thing. The new lock screen features are fantastic, it's just all around great.

Edit: OH holy poo poo, you can close apps by swiping them off of the recent apps screen!

Billy the Mountain fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 2, 2012

Miscreant
Jan 13, 2005
Racing office chairs since 1998

Billy the Mountain posted:

Got my ICS update on the Razr Maxx this morning.

Updated a few here too. I like it overall, speedier gmail interface, better battery usage.

One issue is the "My Gallery" widget is cycling through pics from all over my phone (most notably from social apps) rather than just from my camera roll (if I could just select a folder to pull images to show in the widget it'd be perfect). Haven't been able to find a replacement widget yet though. The gallery isn't my favorite either but at least there are replacements available.

The other annoyance I have is that if I'm swiping through my list of apps and go too far it continues on to show widgets, not sure why that would ever be a useful feature.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's how you get to widgets now. I guess it's there are two tabs at the top, one for apps and one for widgets. I kind of wish the gallery app would only grab pics from my camera or let me choose which folders to watch. I don't want lots of random pictures from all over my phone just because they are image files.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Miscreant posted:

One issue is the "My Gallery" widget is cycling through pics from all over my phone (most notably from social apps) rather than just from my camera roll (if I could just select a folder to pull images to show in the widget it'd be perfect). Haven't been able to find a replacement widget yet though. The gallery isn't my favorite either but at least there are replacements available.

The other annoyance I have is that if I'm swiping through my list of apps and go too far it continues on to show widgets, not sure why that would ever be a useful feature.
Try placing a blank file named .noindex in the folders you want excluded from the gallery. Then force a media re-scan.

Edit: The reason why gallery pulls from anywhere on the phone's internal/external storage is because there is no standard for where the camera places files. Some phones it is /dcim/camera/ or /dcim/ or /pictures/ So the file scanner just looks for any picture file type and indexes it.

Widgets in the app drawer is an upstream change made in ASOP 4.0. I don't agree with it, but I understand why they made the decision to remove the long press on the home screen to add widgets.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 2, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Now root your phone and put on SetCPU to under clock the phone to 300MHz @ screen off and watch your battery life go nuts. Now I'm just waiting on some nice ICS rome to come about that are full featured. Most of the early leaks I've heard of have some kind of faults to them. Either way it's awesome to actually get the upgrade!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Try placing a blank file named .noindex in the folders you want excluded from the gallery.

.nomedia

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This "Share Everything" plan that I'm gonna end up getting when I switch this Fall really makes me want to switch out my iPad for a Verizon model.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This "Share Everything" plan that I'm gonna end up getting when I switch this Fall really makes me want to switch out my iPad for a Verizon model.
You can tether for free so get a wifi iPad.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

You can tether for free so get a wifi iPad.
Is tethering included now as part of the Share Everything plan? I don't see it as an additional feature anymore when I go to buy an iPhone. I looked for something in the OP related to tethering but didn't see it.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is tethering included now as part of the Share Everything plan? I don't see it as an additional feature anymore when I go to buy an iPhone. I looked for something in the OP related to tethering but didn't see it.

Yes it is included in the Share Everything Plan. Go here and it says Mobile Hotspot included. I think their thinking was that if they throw in some features that used to cost money they might be able to con some people into thinking its a much better deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

god this blows posted:

I think their thinking was that if they throw in some features that used to cost money they might be able to con some people into thinking its a much better deal.

"Hey, we're letting you do that thing that you could've done anyways with any properly rooted phone, except we charged gullible people for!"

• Locked thread