Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Virtue posted:

I was checked the backup on iCloud and under the list of backups it only has a couple games on it and not any of the ones that I was worried about keeping (Chrono Trigger and Ghost Trick mostly). When I connect the phone to my computer to sync I have to recheck the Sync boxes and it says something to the effect of "All existing apps and their data on the iPhone will be replaced with apps from this iTunes library" which sounds like I'm going to lose everything.

Hmm I agree that message does sound ominous. How did you check your iCloud backup? Did you check it on the phone? It should list every app you have on there unless you explicitly disabled some.

If you're really paranoid you can backup to your computer locally first. Then you have a hard copy on your hard drive you can extract saves from if it comes down to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

not everybody's cup of tea
So, maybe I'm just an idiot but I can't figure out an easy way to have iTunes watch a folder. I have all of my music and my iTunes folder stored on a secondary drive, how can I get iTunes to watch that folder so when I add something new it automatically goes to my iTunes library. The automatically add to iTunes folder does absolutely nothing as far as I can tell. I'm on 10.7.4 with iTunes version 10.6.3.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

lazywhiteboy posted:

The automatically add to iTunes folder does absolutely nothing as far as I can tell.

Does the 'iTunes Media folder location' in iTunes' advanced preferences match up with where you moved the iTunes folder to?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3832

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

not everybody's cup of tea

chimz posted:

Does the 'iTunes Media folder location' in iTunes' advanced preferences match up with where you moved the iTunes folder to?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3832

Thank you sir for confirming that I'm an idiot! I appreciate it!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I googled "itunes album missing songs" and nothing relevant came up, so I ask here.

Has anyone heard of an album on iTunes literally missing a track? Check this out:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/shut-em-down/id316971607

Check it out, track 18 is completely gone. Goes right from 17 to 19. I've never seen something like this on iTunes.

The only thing I can think of is that the song features Wu Tang Clan on it, and perhaps they didn't give permission for their music to be distributed digitally? Unlikely though because this album is from 1998. I am so confused, and feel a bit ripped off because I loved the song. Anyone ever seen this before? Anyone know why this would happen?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hamburglar posted:

The only thing I can think of is that the song features Wu Tang Clan on it, and perhaps they didn't give permission for their music to be distributed digitally?

Or just through iTunes. But this is likely your answer. Same reason why you won't find Prince.

Looking at the same album on Amazon, that one track is only available if you buy the whole album. It's basically stupid label bullshit I guess, and I don't think Apple will carry songs that want those kind of restrictions (I think this is why there is no AC/DC in the iTunes store).

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

IUG posted:

It's basically stupid label bullshit I guess, and I don't think Apple will carry songs that want those kind of restrictions (I think this is why there is no AC/DC in the iTunes store).

Nah, there are lots of albums on iTunes with album-only tracks. Alice's Restaurant comes to mind. You can only get the title track with the full album.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

IUG posted:

Or just through iTunes. But this is likely your answer. Same reason why you won't find Prince.

Looking at the same album on Amazon, that one track is only available if you buy the whole album. It's basically stupid label bullshit I guess, and I don't think Apple will carry songs that want those kind of restrictions (I think this is why there is no AC/DC in the iTunes store).

Wow, I never seen that before on iTunes. I can't even wrap my head around what would cause it, but my guess is it's because Wu-Tang is on the song and their label won't allow it or something.

Very interesting, thank you!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So ... I signed up for iTunes Match, and for the most part, it's pretty great. I only really have two problems with it.

Is there a way to, on an iPad/iPhone, only play the songs that are currently on the device? I haven't found a way, and I'd like to be able to easily play and sift through the music on the device instead of "scroll through 600 artists to find just the one that's on the device".

The other issue is somewhat bigger. iTunes Match, apparently, matched all my music, then removed it from my desktop computer. This is somewhat annoying, but I understand that it's purportedly replacing it with higher quality copies. The problem is twofold - one, several of the songs that it has replaced into the library have poor quality (as in, skipping/popping in the track, etc), and two, it won't let me download quite a few of them (as in, it says they're not available for download).

Is there anything I can do about this? Have I just lost music that I've paid for?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Krakkles posted:

Is there a way to, on an iPad/iPhone, only play the songs that are currently on the device?
Settings.app > Music > Set Show All Music to Off.

quote:

Is there anything I can do about this? Have I just lost music that I've paid for?
Match doesn't remove music from your iTunes library (files or metadata). You have to explicitly do it. Contact Apple Support for help.

CoderCat
May 7, 2005

Science, it works. :science:
If I download an audiobook from the iTunes Store, will I be able to listen to it on my mac? It's not letting me download samples because I don't have an iOS device, so I'm not sure.

Edit: Never mind. I've just noticed the requirements section in the audiobook page in the store. Apparently, some books require iOS. :doh:

CoderCat fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 30, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

All right what the poo poo. So I have iTunes Match on both my devices. Movies/Videos though I manually manage since I just rip/convert my own dvds/blu-rays and throw on the iPad or iPhone as needed. However, lately I've started getting some music videos off YouTube and Vimeo (awesome poo poo like this. I do my best to tag/sort them and here's where poo poo gets weird.

For some god forsaken reason, iTunes treats music videos as music. However, since it's not music they're (obviously) not uploaded to iTunes Match and since they're not treated as a "video" you can't manually add them either! So unless I'm missing something, the only way to manually manage music videos is to treat them as movies and ignore the music video tag altogether.

What the gently caress, iTunes.

EDIT: gently caress it, I now have a new TV Show called Music Videos.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 3, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I've come to the conclusion that I'm pretty much done with iTunes Match - of the three main benefits I wanted from it, 1) Having access to all my music everywhere, 2) Having all my music upgraded to higher quality, and 3) Having all my tags sorted out for me, it only does two of the three and only 1 is an ongoing benefit.

And even that is dubious since the times I'm likely to want a lot of music (e.g. such as going on a long flight) I have to make preparations ahead of time since inevitably my phone will have helpfully erased all the mixsets I downloaded onto it last time, which it then won't let me download over 3G despite having unlimited data.

It also annoys me I can't change my iTunes store region with a Match subscription :mad:

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

TACD posted:

It also annoys me I can't change my iTunes store region with a Match subscription :mad:

Even if you have a credit card for that region?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Is there a refresh button for when you add items to a folder that just refreshes that folder instead of everything?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hiyoshi posted:

Even if you have a credit card for that region?
Yes. It tells me I need to cancel my Match subscription to change region (I used to change semi-regularly to update a couple of apps only available in the UK).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there any way to adjust Quicktime's gamma 'interpretation' and/or black levels in the windows build? As long as I could remember its always been off with blacks not really black.

I found this:

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=29089

but I don't have that checkbox in my windows build (7.7).

ouzelumbird
Jun 21, 2012
Sorry if this has been answered earlier/in the iPhone thread, guys; this is literally my first SA post ever and I'm mildly terrified of this place. "Fearful reverence," I think. A friend bought me this account as a gift for the express purpose of troubleshooting this issue, but I don't have a platinum account so I can't search the forums to see if this one's been answered.

My iTunes could detect my iPod just fine but when I plugged in my iPhone 4S I got nothing. So I tried to update to the latest version (I was only one version behind) and it wouldn't work. So I uninstalled iTunes and then tried the latest version. Same error. Tried the previous version; error again. Tried the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit version of each, figuring what the hell, why not; error again. (I'm running everyone's favorite red-headed stepchild OS, Windows Vista.) Tried running as administrator. Tried all of the prescribed Apple fixes on their help & support site for troubleshooting this issue and none worked--booting with only the bare essentials to avoid any unforeseen conflicts, repairing/uninstalling/reinstalling Apple Software Update, Apple Application Support.

I took some screencaps of the error messages; if somebody wants to see them if they think it would reveal something, I can email/message/post them to you.

Thanks dudes and dudettes.

damaca
Feb 7, 2009

ouzelumbird posted:

My iTunes could detect my iPod just fine but when I plugged in my iPhone 4S I got nothing. So I tried to update to the latest version (I was only one version behind) and it wouldn't work. So I uninstalled iTunes and then tried the latest version. Same error. Tried the previous version; error again. Tried the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit version of each, figuring what the hell, why not...

Does it appear in Device Manager (Hotkey -- Win+Pause)?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

damaca posted:

Device Manager (Hotkey -- Win+Pause)

You just made my day.

ouzelumbird
Jun 21, 2012
Sure does. I can get in there and pull the pictures off its adorable little hard drive but that's about it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What's the error number? I'm assuming it's an iTunes error box, right?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
So is there no way to sync an iPhone to a shared library? Is there any way to trick it into working or some sort of workaround for the situation?

My brother's got a MBA with the majority of his media stored on an AEBS drive and it's working great for him so far except he can't sync his iPhone with the library since it isn't the physical iTunes library.

ouzelumbird
Jun 21, 2012
I think it might have something to do with Microsoft Visual C++ but I'm not positive.

An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT,type="win32",version="8.0.50727.6195",publicKeyToken="[hash removed]",processorArchitecture="x86"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070002.

I can troubleshoot up to a point; I can research problems all day, and find solutions online to try and fix them, but man, even the solutions are running into problems on my machine sometimes, and I have to troubleshoot the troubleshooting process. I have no head for this kind of stuff.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

ouzelumbird posted:

I think it might have something to do with Microsoft Visual C++ but I'm not positive.

An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT,type="win32",version="8.0.50727.6195",publicKeyToken="[hash removed]",processorArchitecture="x86"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070002.

I can troubleshoot up to a point; I can research problems all day, and find solutions online to try and fix them, but man, even the solutions are running into problems on my machine sometimes, and I have to troubleshoot the troubleshooting process. I have no head for this kind of stuff.

Have you tried the solutions suggested here?:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/itunes-install-error/c1359ee5-e18d-4512-8bff-890936db2810

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

TACD posted:

I've come to the conclusion that I'm pretty much done with iTunes Match - of the three main benefits I wanted from it, 1) Having access to all my music everywhere, 2) Having all my music upgraded to higher quality, and 3) Having all my tags sorted out for me, it only does two of the three and only 1 is an ongoing benefit.

And even that is dubious since the times I'm likely to want a lot of music (e.g. such as going on a long flight) I have to make preparations ahead of time since inevitably my phone will have helpfully erased all the mixsets I downloaded onto it last time, which it then won't let me download over 3G despite having unlimited data.

How's your internet connection at home? Would something like Subsonic be a valid option for you? Might not have all the bells/whistles of Match, but might work for your purposes, if you point it at your iTunes music directory.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Tedronai66 posted:

How's your internet connection at home? Would something like Subsonic be a valid option for you? Might not have all the bells/whistles of Match, but might work for your purposes, if you point it at your iTunes music directory.

Or Audiogalaxy, which is absurdly easy to set up.

Doodlebug
Apr 23, 2007

imma doodlebug
Just got a macbook pro after a lifetime of using windows and I'm psyched.

I still have my windows XP gAmErZoNe pc and I keep that bitch on almost all the time. I'd REALLY love to be able to use itunes on my new MBP and have it access my PC's music library without having to ever have any of that music actually on my MBP.

Is this possible?

EDIT - this link http://gigaom.com/apple/one-itunes-library-on-multiple-computers/ half worked for me. I was hoping I could add songs to my ipod via this networked computer but not sure if/how that can work

Doodlebug fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 12, 2012

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Doodlebug posted:

Just got a macbook pro after a lifetime of using windows and I'm psyched.

I still have my windows XP gAmErZoNe pc and I keep that bitch on almost all the time. I'd REALLY love to be able to use itunes on my new MBP and have it access my PC's music library without having to ever have any of that music actually on my MBP.

Is this possible?

EDIT - this link http://gigaom.com/apple/one-itunes-library-on-multiple-computers/ half worked for me. I was hoping I could add songs to my ipod via this networked computer but not sure if/how that can work

Will iTunes Home Sharing not work for this?

ouzelumbird
Jun 21, 2012

As best I could, yes-- the Windows Installer Clean-up Utility apparently can ruin some other stuff while it's removing the thing you want it to remove, so they point you at http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall instead, but THAT program tells me I need .NET framework 4, which... I already have. I tried installing past versions or updating my version and they all tell me I'm up-to-date. I'm beginning to think it's time to just back everything up and wipe the slate clean. When you're troubleshooting your troubleshooters, poo poo went awry somewhere, right?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I'm using iTunes 10.6.3 in OS X, and I want the album art box to only show the album art of the currently playing song, but when I scroll through my music list and select a song/scroll through with the arrow keys, it always changes from the now playing album art to the selected album art, despite my constantly clicking the little titlebar above the album art to get it to show the now playing art.

Any idea how I can get this to stick permanently like in older versions?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Experto Crede posted:

I'm using iTunes 10.6.3 in OS X, and I want the album art box to only show the album art of the currently playing song, but when I scroll through my music list and select a song/scroll through with the arrow keys, it always changes from the now playing album art to the selected album art, despite my constantly clicking the little titlebar above the album art to get it to show the now playing art.

Any idea how I can get this to stick permanently like in older versions?

Click on "Now Playing" and it turns into "Selected Item"

Edit: Sorry, misread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Sigma posted:

Click on "Now Playing" and it turns into "Selected Item"

Edit: Sorry, misread.

Yeah, but it doesn't stick, clicking any item will flip it back to selected.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Experto Crede posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't stick, clicking any item will flip it back to selected.

Yeah, I figured that out seconds after I posted. Sorry about that.

I've been looking for a plist change to fix it, but no luck so far.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I set up iTunes to get rid of the Ping arrows and replace it with inverted store arrows, but when I use them they revert from Album List view to List view - is there a way to change this?

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
poo poo, there is a dedicated iTunes thread. Re-posting from OSX Software...

"So I've owned an iPad 2 for a while and have a bunch of apps on it that I've downloaded/purchased through the App store on the device. I now have a Macbook, so I plugged in there and went to sync purchases. It told me I had to authorize the computer, which I did (and it confirmed), then it says "This computer is no longer authorized for apps that are installed on the iPad. Would you like to authorize this computer for items purchased from the iTunes Store?" I choose yes, it says I'm already authorized, and then notes it's no longer authorized. And this repeats over and over again. It's authorized, but it won't let me transfer my purchases. The only support article I found suggested I update iTunes, but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?"

I de-authorized multiple times to make sure, but no dice. Even deleted the "SC Info" folder.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

mistermojo posted:

I set up iTunes to get rid of the Ping arrows and replace it with inverted store arrows, but when I use them they revert from Album List view to List view - is there a way to change this?

I will be very happy if someone could tell me the answer to this. My previous computer with an older copy of iTunes had the behavior that would allow it to view the album art along side, but every time I use the arrows it brings me to list view without the album art each time, no matter how much I set it back.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

mistermojo posted:

Nope!

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse
Is there a way to re-download Digital Booklets? They won't re-download with the albums they came with and I can't see them in my purchased material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
So apparently through the new version of iTunes in ML I can't select an AirPort speaker in addition to my main speakers from iTunes anymore.

Help. ;(

EDIT: I'm able to functionally circumvent the issue by using the Remote app on my phone (which still allows me to select both sources as speakers at the same time).

Still kinda weird/annoying though.

Wario In Real Life fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 19, 2012