Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Sundae posted:

They're lumping it under salaried-exempt, just like IT companies (try to) do.
There's a saying around my company that goes "once you're salaried, you're hosed", but at least my hours are only around 55-60 and we still get national holidays off. I guess I should count myself lucky, because according to your story you can go around any law by forcing your employees to sign a waiver (presumablu under threat of termination!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

I'm so sorry. You should find a better place to work.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I could never work in manufacturing, for the exact reasons you've outlined. You end up so chained to the schedule, it's ridiculous. Running my processes in the pilot plant twice a year was as close as I want to get to actually having to work on the floor/shift work. Of course, taking a job on the business side of the pilot plant operations group might not have been the best idea if I want to avoid it in the long run.

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009

seacat posted:

There's a saying around my company that goes "once you're salaried, you're hosed", but at least my hours are only around 55-60 and we still get national holidays off. I guess I should count myself lucky, because according to your story you can go around any law by forcing your employees to sign a waiver (presumablu under threat of termination!)

Speaking of which...I got a job as a temp biologist. Yay! From what I hear in this company after a while they'll hire you on permanently if they have room for you. I get paid hourly right now. If I get a permanent position does this mean it's likely I'll have to switch to a salary?

Also: I have to come in on weekends to dose animals on top of my 40-hour work week. This makes it okay for me to put those hours in as overtime, right?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

porkypocky posted:

Speaking of which...I got a job as a temp biologist. Yay! From what I hear in this company after a while they'll hire you on permanently if they have room for you. I get paid hourly right now. If I get a permanent position does this mean it's likely I'll have to switch to a salary?

Also: I have to come in on weekends to dose animals on top of my 40-hour work week. This makes it okay for me to put those hours in as overtime, right?
Probably not; salaried positions are generally closer to the management level. Almost certainly not at entry-level anything.

Ask your supervisor? You've really been coming in on weekends without clocking it or putting it on your timesheet?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I'm pretty sure if you're hourly it is illegal to not record hours worked/them not pay you for hours worked regardless of the industry.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lyon posted:

I'm pretty sure if you're hourly it is illegal to not record hours worked/them not pay you for hours worked regardless of the industry.

Yeah, this is a huge violation of state and federal wage laws.

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
Nooo, I haven't been coming in on weekends yet, but they said it would be likely if their experiments keep going. I guess I worded that strangely. My bad. What made me think that it might not count is that dosing animals is really quick. All you do is walk in, eyedrop the animals and then leave. So on one hand it's like "I need to record every minute I work!" but then again it's only 15 minutes...
I haven't talked about it with my supervisor because I haven't been trained on how to do it or been scheduled for any weekend shifts. They're just starting to talk about it more.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

porkypocky posted:

Nooo, I haven't been coming in on weekends yet, but they said it would be likely if their experiments keep going. I guess I worded that strangely. My bad. What made me think that it might not count is that dosing animals is really quick. All you do is walk in, eyedrop the animals and then leave. So on one hand it's like "I need to record every minute I work!" but then again it's only 15 minutes...
I haven't talked about it with my supervisor because I haven't been trained on how to do it or been scheduled for any weekend shifts. They're just starting to talk about it more.

Whenever we have had hourly people come in on weekends they have always received a minimum of 4 hours. I would try and ask for that just due the the inconvenience of having to go in on a weekend. However we never allowed temps to work outside of normal business hours either, so no idea how it works for that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Upper management on the concept of microbiology: "soft-science mumbo jumbo"

:doh:

Apparently microbio has no bearing on determining risk of microorganism contamination in a freeze dryer. Nope. All just soft-science mumbo jumbo, according to a senior manager in this morning's meeting. We should base everything on mechanical principles and water vapor charts. That clearly provides all the information anyone could possibly need about bacteria. Especially heat-resistant ones.

I'm a bioengineer. Why did they even hire me? :wtc:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 27, 2012

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I think under those circumstances you're entitled to flip the table and say "your DICK is soft-science" while backing out of the room giving them the double deuce.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Do any of you guys work in clinical operations?

I'm looking for escape routes, and there's an opening for a scientific communications associate at Lilly. Salary range / scale is the same as my current role, and they're looking for someone with R&D experience, writing skills, a publication background, and a life-sciences background including research experience. Basically a perfect fit in terms of background when I look at the years desired, etc.

"The purpose of the Scientific Communications Associate role is to work with cross-functional, multidisciplinary teams to facilitate external scientific publications (including and not limited to, abstracts, posters, manuscripts and presentations), and/or regulatory documents(including, but not limited to, protocols, clinical study reports, briefing documents, regulatory responses, and marketing authorizationapplications).
"

What sort of horrible, soul-draining stuff would I be setting myself up for by considering this? Glorified secretary, or reasonable brain-use?

zilong
Jun 14, 2007
;o;
I've been impatient, so I sent out a tweaked rough draft of the resume DustingDuvet and I have been working on to a few places. It got me a call back from Materia, which is kind of like my dream organometallic chem company. :aaaaa:

I have been wasting so much time writing my own resumes :negative:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Sundae posted:

Do any of you guys work in clinical operations?

I'm looking for escape routes, and there's an opening for a scientific communications associate at Lilly. Salary range / scale is the same as my current role, and they're looking for someone with R&D experience, writing skills, a publication background, and a life-sciences background including research experience. Basically a perfect fit in terms of background when I look at the years desired, etc.

"The purpose of the Scientific Communications Associate role is to work with cross-functional, multidisciplinary teams to facilitate external scientific publications (including and not limited to, abstracts, posters, manuscripts and presentations), and/or regulatory documents(including, but not limited to, protocols, clinical study reports, briefing documents, regulatory responses, and marketing authorizationapplications).
"

What sort of horrible, soul-draining stuff would I be setting myself up for by considering this? Glorified secretary, or reasonable brain-use?

Do you like project management?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Engineer Lenk posted:

Do you like project management?

I have no idea. According to HR, none of my projects I've managed count as project management experience, so I'm not sure what that function actually entails anymore.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
In my so-far fairly limited pharma experience, clin ops are the project managers. They're the ones who maintain trackers, schedule and run meetings, document decisions that study teams make, keep on top of timelines and act as sort of the central nervous system of a project.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
So here's a THING.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/02/us-glaxo-settlement-idUSBRE8610S720120702

Pfizer loses its #1 position for largest fine in pharmaceutical history, thanks to GSK not learning a loving thing from them or Lilly before them.

$3-billion fine. :lol:

I said this after Lilly, and I said this after Pfizer, so I'm going to say this again now that GSK's gone and done it. The government needs to stop playing softball with big pharma. The "real" penalty for fraud is not a big fine. It is being locked out of government contracts, aka being blocked from Medicare. They need to stop with the stupid fines and actually enforce that, even though it will kill the company. There is no fine big enough to make anyone in big pharma give a poo poo; they need to stop playing TBTF games and lay the hammer into someone, or nobody's ever going to change.

Article posted:

Part of civil fines address allegations that, from 1994 to 2003, GSK underpaid money owed to Medicaid, the healthcare program for the poor run jointly by states and the federal government. The company had an obligation to tell the government its "best prices" but failed to do so, prosecutors said, and $300 million of the settlement will go to states and other public health authorities.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
S

Sundae posted:

So here's a THING.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/02/us-glaxo-settlement-idUSBRE8610S720120702

Pfizer loses its #1 position for largest fine in pharmaceutical history, thanks to GSK not learning a loving thing from them or Lilly before them.

I said this after Lilly, and I said this after Pfizer, so I'm going to say this again now that GSK's gone and done it. The government needs to stop playing softball with big pharma. The "real" penalty for fraud is not a big fine. It is being locked out of government contracts, aka being blocked from Medicare. They need to stop with the stupid fines and actually enforce that, even though it will kill the company. There is no fine big enough to make anyone in big pharma give a poo poo; they need to stop playing TBTF games and lay the hammer into someone, or nobody's ever going to change.
Didn't they get fined something like 700 mil in 2010 for making lovely drugs in Puerto Rico? How do you spend 3.7 billion in fines in a 2 year period as just cost of doing business???? You gotta crosspost this in the thread with the Big Pharma is Not Evil shill!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Is there such a thing as a good pharmaceutical marketing story?

EtaBetaPi
Aug 11, 2008

Sundae posted:

So here's a THING.

Locking them out of medicare would lock their drugs out, right? Wouldn't it be more feasible just to threaten to pull their patents if they keep this poo poo up? Like revoke the wellbutrin patent (or others if wellbutrin is off patent, which I think it is?), that way it becomes generic and we get the benefit of a cheaper drug earlier as punishment for misconduct.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

EtaBetaPi posted:

Locking them out of medicare would lock their drugs out, right? Wouldn't it be more feasible just to threaten to pull their patents if they keep this poo poo up? Like revoke the wellbutrin patent (or others if wellbutrin is off patent, which I think it is?), that way it becomes generic and we get the benefit of a cheaper drug earlier as punishment for misconduct.

I do think it'd be more effective to do that, but unfortunately that's not the law currently on the books (and currently being ignored). Right now, the penalty is supposed to be locking out of medicare / (I think) tricare. A combination of TBTF and drug patent laws make this penalty completely toothless, for exactly the reason you gave. Doing it kills the company and also blocks patients from their drugs, under the current model.

At first thought, at least, I love your idea.

quote:

Is there such a thing as a good pharmaceutical marketing story?

If there is, I've never heard it. I've heard actual good pharmaceutical stories, especially from each of our various companies' groups for medical missions, but I've never heard of marketing being anything but bad.

EDIT:

quote:

How do you spend 3.7 billion in fines in a 2 year period as just cost of doing business????

You know what really gets me? Check the article. They claim they paid the $3B in cash. They just had it kinda sitting around.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 3, 2012

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Sundae posted:

You know what really gets me? Check the article. They claim they paid the $3B in cash. They just had it kinda sitting around.
It's almost as if they had a pretty good idea that they would get fined.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Article said that they previously set aside 3B for future fines. Presumably, they were in negotiations, and had a rough idea how much they would have to pay, so it's not that surprising.

Note: negotiating a fine is a ridiculous idea, but I'm pretty sure all these settlements are like that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I know Scientastic is in the UK; are any of you folks in Ireland, by any chance?

Mylan Pharma wants to interview me for an R&D position at their Galway site, and I'm trying to learn a little about the company's overseas operations, particularly around worker treatment, etc. Glassdoor has a ton of bad reviews about work-life balance, but they're all out of the manufacturing site in West Virginia, so no duh on that.

Any insight from Irish lab rats? (Or I guess insight in general about working in Ireland?)

Edit:

Also, I need to be fair after whining so much about my lovely work hours. Remember that post about the 14+ hour waiver, 7 days a week? We're in week two, and so far they haven't used it on our department once. The waiver is in place, but everything has been going very smoothly. I'm still working a lot of hours and coming in on Saturdays, but they haven't required a Sunday out of me yet, and they haven't kept me over 11 hours on a day yet. Additionally, Saturday has been only a half day each time. I'm probably doing about 50-60 hours a week during shutdown, which is - strangely enough - less than when we WEREN'T in shutdown.

(I figure if I'm going to bitch about my work hours, I need to at least man up and be fair when they fail to turn out quite as bad as I've been told they'd be.)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 6, 2012

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Oh man, I'm super excited but nervous and don't know what to do. I got an amazing offer from my MSc project supervisor to do my PhD in her lab (within 3 years, since I got a co-authorship during my MSc project and can use that one; prof is also super nice and supportive). The problem is that the lab is the Netherlands, and my boyfriend probably can't get a job+visa there with his qualifications (Japanese language major, and he's American).

My prof wants to know if i'm accepting ASAP (deadline for the funding app is July 15th), but I'm waiting for a response to a Research Assistant job application in Australia, where we both could go. The deadline for the job app was this week - when is it ok to mail the person and ask about it?

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 9, 2012

canvasbagfight
Aug 20, 2005
renovating. please excuse our mess.
I dunno, that PhD sounds pretty tempting. Insensitive I know but aren't we in the lab rat thread?

Edit: Something else to consider is since you already did your MSc with this PI your PhD would probably go quicker... I'm not extremely attuned to how it scales but I've heard just a couple years to finish thrown around as a ballpark for people in your situation (obviously with some wiggle room since it is science, after all). Compared to like 5-7 years that's a pretty good deal isn't it?

canvasbagfight fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 6, 2012

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

canvasbagfight posted:

I dunno, that PhD sounds pretty tempting. Insensitive I know but aren't we in the lab rat thread?

Edit: Something else to consider is since you already did your MSc with this PI your PhD would probably go quicker... I'm not extremely attuned to how it scales but I've heard just a couple years to finish thrown around as a ballpark for people in your situation (obviously with some wiggle room since it is science, after all). Compared to like 5-7 years that's a pretty good deal isn't it?

Yeah it sounds great, just in the wrong country (and here in Europe, PhDs are usually 4 years, since you have less courses and no lab rotation as these are usually included in the MSc). My boyfriend made clear he doesn't want to move to the Netherlands, so... I won't go E/N here.

The RA position in Australia would be very cool and perfect for our plans, but I'm running low on time to wait for the results, so I'd like to know if/when it's acceptable to ask the group leader in charge of hiring, without seeming impatient/needy.

[edit:] Woo, I got an interview! Not sure what kind of questions to expect, but I'm super excited. :)

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 9, 2012

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Some questions for anyone in industry. I'll finally be getting my PhD in about 5 months and I'm woefully uninformed on my chances for getting a decent job in biotech. The topic of my thesis work is pretty much pure science but my lab specializes in mass spec/proteomics which I figure is to my advantage.

What sort of positions should I be applying for in biotech? Looking at websites I'm seeing some companies listing Scientist III as only requiring a PhD with no experience while others that have industry experience requirements for Scientist I positions. Is it just sort of random?

What are my chances without doing a postdoc? I'm really not looking forward to having to do that but I know it might be necessary.

Also, when is it appropriate to start applying for jobs? I don't have a date set for graduation yet, just waiting for my paper to get accepted. Are companies understanding of the graduate school process and willing to wait a few months after seeing you to hire you or would I need to be pretty close to graduating before they will even consider me?

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

BrownieMinusEye posted:

Some questions for anyone in industry. I'll finally be getting my PhD in about 5 months and I'm woefully uninformed on my chances for getting a decent job in biotech. The topic of my thesis work is pretty much pure science but my lab specializes in mass spec/proteomics which I figure is to my advantage.

What sort of positions should I be applying for in biotech? Looking at websites I'm seeing some companies listing Scientist III as only requiring a PhD with no experience while others that have industry experience requirements for Scientist I positions. Is it just sort of random?

What are my chances without doing a postdoc? I'm really not looking forward to having to do that but I know it might be necessary.

Also, when is it appropriate to start applying for jobs? I don't have a date set for graduation yet, just waiting for my paper to get accepted. Are companies understanding of the graduate school process and willing to wait a few months after seeing you to hire you or would I need to be pretty close to graduating before they will even consider me?

You'll probably want to do a postdoc, to get an actual PhD level position. You're most likely looking at Scientist I/II. Usually we want to have you on site within 1-2 months of the interview.

Have you considered doing an industry postdoc? As you have probably already seen, having "Industry Experience" is a very valuable thing if you're trying to get into a biotech career.

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Is there a better way of finding industry postdoc positions than just looking at various company websites? A few are listed at Science Careers but was hoping there might be a better place.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Appachai posted:

You'll probably want to do a postdoc, to get an actual PhD level position. You're most likely looking at Scientist I/II. Usually we want to have you on site within 1-2 months of the interview.

Have you considered doing an industry postdoc? As you have probably already seen, having "Industry Experience" is a very valuable thing if you're trying to get into a biotech career.
I'm going to offer a different opinion. A postdoc would be less useful than 3 years in industry for any job in industry. Industry postdocs are great, but are usually only offered at larger biotech companies and are sometimes tailored to sending people back to academia with industry connections.

Scientist I/II would be your most likely job title, but different companies call the same position different things. So don't screen jobs by title. Also, experience requirements are very squishy. They're a wishlist that will be waived for the right person with the right skillset.

By far and away your best bet is networking. Go to national meetings or regional meetings in the areas you want to work and shake hands with industry folk. Ask for career advice and they'll tell you if they have open positions. A good question to start with is: "I'm considering a career in industry, can you tell me how you got started on your career path?"

It's never too early to start your job hunt through networking. But I would suggest holding off on blind-firing resumes/CVs until you have a thesis defense date set.

BrownieMinusEye posted:

Is there a better way of finding industry postdoc positions than just looking at various company websites? A few are listed at Science Careers but was hoping there might be a better place.
Individual websites. They want someone who's excited about their company and not just looking for any job.

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Great information everyone! I told myself I got into science so I wouldn't have to do networking or anything... I think its time I grew up and started.

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
I'm looking for jobs again in case this temp position doesn't work out. I'm finding a lot of postings for positions in the Los Angeles area require a CLS license. Does anyone here have that? Is it worth it to get one, especially if I already have a MS?

I'm looking here for information
http://www.camlt.org/laboratory-profession#cls-limited-license-training-in-clinical-lab-science

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Long shot, anybody here know about "animal husbandry" (their term) with regards to a (major University) research lab? Like, dealing with actual lab rats.

In my crawling for jobs, I found a couple openings for such and it sparked my interest in a variety of ways. Mostly from a steady pay and perks (education: 3% employee share per credit) perspective, but not really cause it relates to previous jobs (customer service) or future ones (CompSci). I get that the position is strictly making sure the animals are alive and clean, but is there anything I should be aware of? For the record, I have had a couple of friends who did animal based research (neurosci postdocs), so I'm not considering this completely in the dark.

And, I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but should I bother asking for a referral from a friend who was a former postdoc there? Or is it that the worlds are very separate and he wouldn't even have anybody to say "Hey, my bud's applying, give him a fair shake" to?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
About your postdoc friend: If he was on good terms at the place, absolutely you use the reference.

One more thing to think about with animal husbandry stuff is how they source their rats. Some facilities just put you in charge of animal care and buy rats through companies, but I've seen at least one major research facility that used so many rats that it literally bred its own. On top of being in charge of that, the husbandry crew was in charge of artificial insemination for more selective breeding as well.

Depending on whether you're squeamish about stuff, you might want to find out about that part of the responsibilities.

Edit: Also - do you have any background in animal stuff at all? There's a lot of USDA animal-care requirements, sometimes some off-the-cuff veterinary stuff, etc. Not "real" veterinary work, per se, but there's more to caring for animals than just "toss some food, fill water bottle, and change the newspapers."

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Realize that "animal husbandry" in a lab setting also means systematically killing them when the experiments are done. A friend of mine once got a job doing "lab work" and on the first day found out the job was killing rats for 8 hours a day.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sundae posted:

About your postdoc friend: If he was on good terms at the place, absolutely you use the reference.

One more thing to think about with animal husbandry stuff is how they source their rats. Some facilities just put you in charge of animal care and buy rats through companies, but I've seen at least one major research facility that used so many rats that it literally bred its own. On top of being in charge of that, the husbandry crew was in charge of artificial insemination for more selective breeding as well.
I want to say that they do rat breeding because of volume but ain't sure. I have a friend who has worked/works in a bio lab for the school, so I might try to hit her up and see if she knows these kinds of details.

quote:

Depending on whether you're squeamish about stuff, you might want to find out about that part of the responsibilities.

Edit: Also - do you have any background in animal stuff at all? There's a lot of USDA animal-care requirements, sometimes some off-the-cuff veterinary stuff, etc. Not "real" veterinary work, per se, but there's more to caring for animals than just "toss some food, fill water bottle, and change the newspapers."

Not really, no. I mean, I had a dog as a kid and am fine around animals, but never was employed for their care. And yes, I understand the difference between "pet" and "research animal," which would be my concern if I mentioned that during the interview.

I do understand that there are animal-care requirements mandated. I know that there's an... ethics review board (internal review board?) that approves of all human and animal testing, and a part of that review is focused on treatment outside of experiments. The position recommends an AALAS certification but also says it's not required. This seems to be an entry-level job (Technician I, <1 year experience), so I honestly figured that there'd be a little on the job training and half expect that I'd have to get an AALAS cert before the end of my probation period.

Won't deny that food and cleaning was about all I expected, but you've made me reconsider that. I do remember the A/T thread about zoo workers a couple of months back. Someone had talked a little about doing lab animal work and mentioned having to play with the animals as part of their care. I assume that's what the posting means by "enrichment," getting the animals to exercise, play, etc. keeps them healthy. Also, yeah, minor veterinary care also makes sense.

plester1 posted:

Realize that "animal husbandry" in a lab setting also means systematically killing them when the experiments are done. A friend of mine once got a job doing "lab work" and on the first day found out the job was killing rats for 8 hours a day.

Yeah, I expected that I might have to dispose of the animal bodies, but maybe should've read the job description a bit better:

quote:

Must be available to work weekends and holidays, stand for extended periods of time, lift 50 pounds and push/pull heavy equipment. The candidate may have to euthanize animals. Vaccinations and/or TB testing may be required.

I'd like to say I'd be fine, but honestly don't know. I'd imagine that this position probably has a decent turnover because of that factor, though. Still, I don't imagine that they'd be like "OK, we've finished testing with this group. Here's the mallet, see you at lunch." :cry:

Follow up question, how's it usually done? My assumption is via gas, like carbon mon/dioxide cause that's more humane than a poison like chlorine.

Also, what are the common animals used? I know rats and monkeys are used there, but aren't pigs common as well?

Regardless, thanks for the points to consider.

porkypocky
Feb 11, 2009
Usually whoever is doing the experiment will euthanize the animal. If I had to guess they just want to make sure you know that if the animal is too sick you will be responsible for putting it down. Part of getting your animal protocol approved is making sure that the euthanasia methods are humane and painless if possible, so if you're required to euthanize it typically isn't messy/bloody (unless you do something horribly wrong). For smaller animals they will use CO2 or some other gas plus a secondary method like cervical dislocation. I don't work with a lot of larger animals but it should be lethal injection + secondary method.

Most common animals I've seen are mice and rats. I've also seen rabbits, dogs, pigs, monkeys, chickens...but the vet wasn't too happy about that last one. They were finding chicken feathers around the facilities for years after the chicken study was over.

porkypocky fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 6, 2012

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010
john ashpool fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

john ashpool posted:

What are people's opinions about masters degrees? I really like my job, but I worry that 20 years down the road my mere B.S. will make me obsolete.

In terms of part-time masters degree's there are alot of options in the Boston area. However they are almost all Biotechnology or Bioinformatics. I already do analytical work with proteins. Which program might be more useful if I want to move into drug discovery? Out of the 3, which might you recommend? Are there other programs I should look at?

Northeastern Biotechnology Professional Science Masters
Brandeis Bioinformatics Masters of Science
Harvard Extension Biotechnology MLA
My 2 cents:

It really depends. My current job doesn't pay more for Master's degrees. But you do get a bump on the NIH payscale, and with anywhere that uses it.

As for the actual knowledge, you'll get more out of working in the field for 1-2 years than you would earning the Master's.

If you have a job in industry, people will care much more about references from industry labs than they will about degrees.