Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Rufo posted:

the most interesting thing about this is how scholars know about the pronunciation of a dead language. wasnt there some latin pun at the time that relied on v being pronounced as w (or so im reliably informed???

yes, although i only remember that it is and not what it was.

we know a lot about how poo poo is pronounced because we have tons of poetry and graffiti and can do reconstructive analysis but this is really just an excuse to post this:

catullus posted:

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,

the above five words are so filthy that they weren't published in english until the twentieth century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

LP97S posted:

Getting this back to the thread.

quote:

In an early scene, the computer has trouble understanding his mispronunciations of the letter V--his efforts to pronounce "Victor" coming out "Wicktor" and "Vulcan" as "Wulcan." This can also be seen, however, as a direct reference to the character having these same problems in the original series, as well as the movies (notably his requests for "nuclear wessels" in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home). Yelchin is Russian-born himself, but does not have a Russian accent.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lutha Mahtin posted:

once when i was proctoring a test in college i had to reread a question for a blind gal and she was all "oh i see now" and i kinda "heh'd" a lil

one time i went to help a guy who lost an arm when i was a kid working at the grocery store and i greeted him with "hey need a hand"

felt like a real prick

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

now i know how all my girlfriends have felt

alarmed by an odd smelling yellow discharge?

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_City,_Nevada

Someone edited the list of capital cities at the end so they're mostly wrong.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

The Whole Internet posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_City,_Nevada

Someone edited the list of capital cities at the end so they're mostly wrong.

look at the top employer list that place sounds like a massive shithole

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

Rufo posted:

rindswurst w/ mustard ftw

nghhhhhhhhhh omg :rubshands:

im spurtin here

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

duTrieux. posted:

we know a lot about how poo poo is pronounced because we have tons of poetry and graffiti and can do reconstructive analysis but this is really just an excuse to post this:

the above five words are so filthy that they weren't published in english until the twentieth century.

pro

also re thread: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Catullus_16

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome

Buy me an avatar. Red text will also do in a pinch.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

Catullus was my first title text <3

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

duTrieux. posted:

we know a lot about how poo poo is pronounced because we have tons of poetry and graffiti

latin graffiti is great because nearly all of it is "MY GIRLFRIEND..." and "hey guys i just had sex!"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I thought I would never be the guy to go tell the quizmaster they were wrong at a pub quiz, but then one time the question was "what is the three-dimensional analogue of a triangle" and the "correct" answer was "a cone" :argh:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hammerite posted:

I thought I would never be the guy to go tell the quizmaster they were wrong at a pub quiz, but then one time the question was "what is the three-dimensional analogue of a triangle" and the "correct" answer was "a cone" :argh:

Lol what a dope

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

duTrieux. posted:

it's interesting that "w" is pronounced with a "v" in germanic languages because it's literally the exact opposite in latin.

veni vidi vicci? yeah, that should be a "w" in there boyo.

this is true if you narrow down "germanic languages" to "german" hth. dutch, danish, swedish, all have actual v-sounds

also i visited the canton speaker factory in germany once and almost lost it every time the guide said "woice coil" but not all germans pronounce v's as w's SO

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I pulled "what's the smallest element?" at pub trivia and I over thought and said helium

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
QI has changed pub quizzes forever

(a Good Thing)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

theflyingexecutive posted:

I pulled "what's the smallest element?" at pub trivia and I over thought and said helium

what did that question mean? shortest name? lowest atomic number?

Telemarchitect
Oct 1, 2009

TOUCH THE KNOB
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belly_button_lint

quote:

His other suggestions include wearing old clothes, as they tend to shed less lint than newer garments, which can lose up to one thousandth of their weight to the belly button over the course of a year.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

newreply.php posted:

this is true if you narrow down "germanic languages" to "german" hth. dutch, danish, swedish, all have actual v-sounds

also i visited the canton speaker factory in germany once and almost lost it every time the guide said "woice coil" but not all germans pronounce v's as w's SO

pennslyvania "dutch" is the best german

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

gooby on rails posted:

Exactly :saddowns:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

newreply.php posted:

QI

(a Good Thing)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
qi is fuckin terrible + i hope stephen fry + alan davies kill themselves out of shame

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
homophobe

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Nice!

helen keller is dead you insensitvie clod

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Nice!!=Quote

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

alan davies isnt gay

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

anderson coopers coming out letter has already hit the wikipedia

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Shaggar posted:

lmao art is the worst

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Rufo posted:

alan davies isnt gay

not liking QI is, fag

(its me im teh homophobe)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gooby on rails posted:

smallest atomic radius or bust

Sweevo posted:

latin graffiti is great because nearly all of it is "MY GIRLFRIEND..." and "hey guys i just had sex!"

http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm

i think my favorites are "this inn had bad service so me and my bro beat up the innkeeper and then went out and spent the money on whores instead" and "to whoever is making GBS threads on my wall: stop making GBS threads on my wall"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

"to whoever is making GBS threads on my wall: stop making GBS threads on my wall"

facebook, 37 A.D.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Defecator, may everything turn out okay so that you can leave this place

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
thank God this needed explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_umlaut

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm

i think my favorites are "this inn had bad service so me and my bro beat up the innkeeper and then went out and spent the money on whores instead" and "to whoever is making GBS threads on my wall: stop making GBS threads on my wall"

"II.3.10 (Pottery Shop or Bar of Nicanor; right of the door); 10070: Lesbianus, you defecate and you write, ‘Hello, everyone!’"

Ancient Romans invented shitposting, who knew?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rufo posted:

qi is fuckin terrible + i hope stephen fry + alan davies kill themselves out of shame

wrong wrong wrong

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

q with jian ghomeshi is terrible.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
seriously qi and nevermind the buzzcocks are really the only things worth watching

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nicknames_used_by_George_W._Bush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"I'm gonna call you...

horny."

-Former Mr. President of the United States of America George W. Bush