Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Chemtrail Clem posted:

The people who are saying "Theyre just idiots and the show is funny because you get to laugh at their ignorance" are completely missing the point, Seth is a smart guy and Jonathan is at the least very self aware of how silly he is, and they play all the stupid stuff they do for laughs. Its the point of the show, it's like watching Colbert and saying "Yeah, I dont know, this Colbert dude kinda seems like an ignorant Republican gently caress, but the show does have occasional bits of genius if you just try to ignore that dumb rear end in a top hat." It's the entire joke going over your head, the subtitle of the show is America Through the Eyes of Two American Americans, its a commentary on America. Either that or Seth is really a single dad who eats goji berries and just wants his tween daughters to look their sexiest

No, I get that over arching joke of them being purposefully ignorant, but this is the case of true ignorance slipping through, or being offensive in a non funny way. I've listened to every episode a million times over. I don't think I'd still be on this podcast if I didn't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Chemtrail Clem posted:

The people who are saying "Theyre just idiots and the show is funny because you get to laugh at their ignorance" are completely missing the point, Seth is a smart guy and Jonathan is at the least very self aware of how silly he is, and they play all the stupid stuff they do for laughs. Its the point of the show, it's like watching Colbert and saying "Yeah, I dont know, this Colbert dude kinda seems like an ignorant Republican gently caress, but the show does have occasional bits of genius if you just try to ignore that dumb rear end in a top hat." It's the entire joke going over your head, the subtitle of the show is America Through the Eyes of Two American Americans, its a commentary on America. Either that or Seth is really a single dad who eats goji berries and just wants his tween daughters to look their sexiest

But he says words I don't like

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

SullivanPRIME posted:

No, I get that over arching joke of them being purposefully ignorant, but this is the case of true ignorance slipping through, or being offensive in a non funny way. I've listened to every episode a million times over. I don't think I'd still be on this podcast if I didn't get it.

I agree with what you said actually, that Jonathan is ignorant but you can tell that its not coming from a hateful place. I was more referring to the other dingus who was saying how theyre very naive and "bad at critical thinking" as if thats a knock on a comedy podcast. Naive is the last word Id use to describe Seth (a guy who has had his dreams crushed and was a rock bottom alcoholic in LA of all places) and if you are that concerned about their Critical Thinking skills i cant imagine the panic attack you have listening to literally any comedian ever (UGH abbot and costello are so loving stupid!! How can anyone respect these ignorant fucks when they cant even use logical deduction to figure out that the guy on first base is named Who)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Biodome posted:

A kid should be wearing sexy clothes.

You grab that baby, take it to a mommy & me screening, and just mack on it for like, an hour.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Chemtrail Clem posted:

I agree with what you said actually, that Jonathan is ignorant but you can tell that its not coming from a hateful place. I was more referring to the other dingus who was saying how theyre very naive and "bad at critical thinking" as if thats a knock on a comedy podcast. Naive is the last word Id use to describe Seth (a guy who has had his dreams crushed and was a rock bottom alcoholic in LA of all places) and if you are that concerned about their Critical Thinking skills i cant imagine the panic attack you have listening to literally any comedian ever (UGH abbot and costello are so loving stupid!! How can anyone respect these ignorant fucks when they cant even use logical deduction to figure out that the guy on first base is named Who)

I guess maybe you are right. I think when they talk about a science story, before they start making jokes Jonathan usually tries to sincerely explain what the science story is about. And pretty often he gets it wrong. Maybe that's part of his character and I'm missing the joke, and yeah he's kind of self-aware about it, but I always thought it was genuine.

That's what I had in mind when I said they were bad at critical thinking. It's not a knock on the comedy podcast, it's a knock on them as individuals (mostly Jonathan), which I thought might help explain why they say things that offend people.

And when I called them naive I was mostly thinking of the stuff they say about the rest of the world. But you're right that naive was the wrong word. I guess I just meant "kind of uninformed".

quote:

if you are that concerned about their Critical Thinking skills i cant imagine the panic attack you have listening to literally any comedian ever

haha, well most comedians are fine, but yeah this is exactly why I can never listen to Joe Rogan.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I don't know if I buy the whole 'Its an act' defense though. The guys are quite obviously joking about tons of stuff (Sexy babies, Its ok to give your kids Oxies, etc) but a huge amount of the show seems, at least, to be earnest and plenty of people in this thread say that one of the best reasons to follow the show from Ep 1 is to learn about the guys and some of the most interesting poo poo comes from their actual friendships.

I get the idea that the guys are just pretty dumb on some social issues, but hearing Jonathan defend his use of a homophobic slur while getting pissed for people called him Jah pushes that line just a bit for me. I dunno. Its like that woman that made that blog post before, I feel some of the defense of the show is a little crazy and uneven and if someone gets offended by some of the really backwards poo poo the guys say, sometimes its pretty justified. I still listen to the show, I still enjoy it a lot, but saying that everything the guys say is some masterwork satire is disingenuous especially when everyones fave moments are poo poo like the Gas Leak or the time they had a serious talk about life and death an poo poo. No, Seth probably doesn't want sexy babies and goji berries and panax, he probably does still believe some backwards poo poo though. Whatev, I guess.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Yeah but that woman got offended because the whole show is laughing at how crazy America is and she thought it was too negative or something.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Biodome posted:

Yeah but that woman got offended because the whole show is laughing at how crazy America is and she thought it was too negative or something.

She also only decided it was too negative after she created a website devoted to them and got her friends to drunk dial them or whatever like a creepy weirdo and got yelled at haha

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I don't really want to talk about her cause no one actually read that post and people are still saying she some how got her friends to drunk dial Jonathan with no like, evidence that she did or anything and all kinds of just weird made up poo poo. We already went down that road.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Good job guys, you managed to add controversy to UYD. I loving hate it and I just want to hear them talk about Sexy Babies, stop holding them to any kind of loving standard. The show is about two cool dudes with a hilarious point of view and unique lives, tinged with the excess of life in LA. They're not public figures and what they do or think is not subject to any code of conduct. Stop making everything not fun.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

fuf posted:

And when I called them naive I was mostly thinking of the stuff they say about the rest of the world.

I really do think that's just part of the joke. Most non-Americans view Americans as being (generally) quite ignorant of the rest of the world. I think they're just playing up to that.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

im a girl btw posted:

I really do think that's just part of the joke. Most non-Americans view Americans as being (generally) quite ignorant of the rest of the world. I think they're just playing up to that.

Like all things with this show Seth clearly knows a whole lot more than he's letting on but I'm pretty sure Jah is just that dumb.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

First Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes split, and now Anderson Cooper's come out. This week's episode is going to be loving heavy.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
I was just listening to an early episode where Seth is talking about how Anderson Cooper clearly wanted to gently caress David Beckham. Way to be 100% on the money.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

jackhunter64 posted:

First Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes split, and now Anderson Cooper's come out. This week's episode is going to be loving heavy.

Years of listening to UYD prepared me to be completely unsurprised by either of these developments.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I'll be handing out a lot of I told you so's when Kenny Chesney comes out.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Good job guys, you managed to add controversy to UYD. I loving hate it and I just want to hear them talk about Sexy Babies, stop holding them to any kind of loving standard. The show is about two cool dudes with a hilarious point of view and unique lives, tinged with the excess of life in LA. They're not public figures and what they do or think is not subject to any code of conduct. Stop making everything not fun.

I agree with this post.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Okay, well I agree with the other posts. Also, at no point was anyone freaking out; it was merely a conversation between people with different viewpoints. :)

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Seth saw Anderson Cooper and John Stamos at the Diesel Store at the Beverly Center, laughing and slapping.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

loving finally, A sane post. I support this post as well.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Al! posted:

Years of listening to UYD prepared me to be completely unsurprised by either of these developments.

But the Cruise-Machine... he just locks you in :confused:

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Thirded. I'm sorry I ever brought up those blog and FB posts. I only pointed them out because I thought it was funny how upset they were over a comedy podcast. I didn't actually expect it to lead to people discussing how much they themselves get upset over a comedy podcast.

I can't find it in me to get upset about anything they say. They've said things (Jonathan, mostly) that have made me mildly sort of roll my eyes but, ultimately, I don't really care because, again, it's just a comedy podcast and anyway, the type of listeners they attract are probably not raging homophobes, misogynists and racists who will use their words as a rallying cry to begin with. And that woman claiming that Seth and Jonathan are kind of misogynists are forgetting the dozens, if not more, times they have talked about how awful men are and how much better women are. They've put women on a pedestal far more than they've put them down.

Even that was way more analysis than this show calls for.

Anyway, I think many of us can agree that the most offensive thing about the show is Seth's utter disdain for sci-fi. :colbert:

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The most offensive thing is when Seth called the pilot of Breaking Bad "whack".

Edit: I'm not down with any of the epithets that they use. Those aren't cool. Still, Breaking Bad.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I get offended when their goddamn mics crackle and stutter all over the place. I bought a new audio lead for my car because of that poo poo :mad: Though they do seem to be on top of that now.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Thirded. I'm sorry I ever brought up those blog and FB posts. I only pointed them out because I thought it was funny how upset they were over a comedy podcast. I didn't actually expect it to lead to people discussing how much they themselves get upset over a comedy podcast.

I can't find it in me to get upset about anything they say. They've said things (Jonathan, mostly) that have made me mildly sort of roll my eyes but, ultimately, I don't really care because, again, it's just a comedy podcast and anyway, the type of listeners they attract are probably not raging homophobes, misogynists and racists who will use their words as a rallying cry to begin with. And that woman claiming that Seth and Jonathan are kind of misogynists are forgetting the dozens, if not more, times they have talked about how awful men are and how much better women are. They've put women on a pedestal far more than they've put them down.

Even that was way more analysis than this show calls for.

Anyway, I think many of us can agree that the most offensive thing about the show is Seth's utter disdain for sci-fi. :colbert:

Sheesh, some people just got personally upset with the use homophobic and transphobic slurs said I just said that Jah uses them because he was a dumbass and we should make fun of him for it, nobody is saying they should go to PC prison or whatever, you people are too sensitive.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Song For The Deaf posted:

The most offensive thing is when Seth called the pilot of Breaking Bad "whack".

Edit: I'm not down with any of the epithets that they use. Those aren't cool. Still, Breaking Bad.

I like when Seth shits on every big TV show and movie that comes out. Matthew McConaughey playing a detective? Uhhh Nope. Breaking Bad? Breaking Nope.

Biodome fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 3, 2012

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Al! posted:

Sheesh, some people just got personally upset with the use homophobic and transphobic slurs said I just said that Jah uses them because he was a dumbass and we should make fun of him for it, nobody is saying they should go to PC prison or whatever, you people are too sensitive.

Annnyway,

I watched that Boards of Canada video and then wiki'd those two space jumpers.

I gotta say, that is drat amazing. No tethers there. :)

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
I guess one of Kittinger's gloves on his suit got hosed up somehow and his hand was exposed to the borderline-space atmosphere up there for a while. He said his hand swelled to twice normal size* :stare:

*by volume

Gibbone
May 8, 2011
Both of them are basically 100% aware of their own failings and I get the sense that if you said "Jonathan your beliefs about x are ignorant" he would agree. If you ragged on Seth for insulting Starbucks employees he would probably agree. When Jonathan or Seth says human being or fruit or homo they're not being literal and its just histrionic and overly sensitive if you think that they're insinuating that gay people are bad and runs in contradiction to everything else we know about their worldview. Pouncing on things that could potentially be considered insulting or bigoted when clearly that's not the intention is really fucken gay yo

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Gibbone posted:

Both of them are basically 100% aware of their own failings and I get the sense that if you said "Jonathan your beliefs about x are ignorant" he would agree. If you ragged on Seth for insulting Starbucks employees he would probably agree. When Jonathan or Seth says human being or fruit or homo they're not being literal and its just histrionic and overly sensitive if you think that they're insinuating that gay people are bad and runs in contradiction to everything else we know about their worldview. Pouncing on things that could potentially be considered insulting or bigoted when clearly that's not the intention is really fucken gay yo

Thanks for your really insightful opinion just as everybody was about to move on.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
The things I have learned so far on RGD is that someone is overly sensitive (and maybe rightly so), makes a post, and then for two pages people discuss the same poo poo which is "it's a loving comedy podcast". Everything already been covered, nothing more to say. So just chill bra, smoke a jay with Jah and have a Pepsi Max. Let's end it here.

Zeeco
Jan 4, 2012
Hey Florida, stop pissing on your mail.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

CortezFantastic posted:

The things I have learned so far on RGD is that someone is overly sensitive (and maybe rightly so), makes a post, and then for two pages people discuss the same poo poo which is "it's a loving comedy podcast". Everything already been covered, nothing more to say. So just chill bra, smoke a jay with Jah and have a Pepsi Max. Let's end it here.

Ill be glad to lay this discussion to rest, but I don't think it's really fair to fault people for talking about issues they have with the sort of language Jonathan and Seth use. People saying the word human being on a basic level gives me an unfortunate, uncomfortable feeling. I'm sorry that as a gay guy that I'm ruining your podcast by bringing this up, but I just think that a 30 something guy in L.A. whos father was prominent in the entertainment industry would know enough gay men and woman to know how needless that word is.

Feel free to ignore this post and move on, but Jonathan has been made aware of this since episode 30 and quite frankly if he hadn't tried to justify it recently, I would have just let it go as a slip up, but after that I felt it was fully worth a call out.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
This was probably the nicest discussion of "these people I like say some things sometimes that I don't" that I've ever read. In no way was the conversation off-topic or out of hand. Why the hell are people freaking out about it? Let people loving talk, especially when it's as civil as it's been. I don't think anyone in the thread said "I hate this loving show! Worst show ever!" and there's absolutely nothing wrong with talking about things in the podcast you wish improved. Jeez.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

This was probably the nicest discussion of "these people I like say some things sometimes that I don't" that I've ever read. In no way was the conversation off-topic or out of hand. Why the hell are people freaking out about it? Let people loving talk, especially when it's as civil as it's been. I don't think anyone in the thread said "I hate this loving show! Worst show ever!" and there's absolutely nothing wrong with talking about things in the podcast you wish improved. Jeez.

Because a lot of people don't know how to enjoy something while being critical of it but more importantly get flustered when they see someone else doing that because they perceive that as attacking the thing they love. You see it everywhere on the internet and it's why it's so hard to get any loving traction when it comes to criticizing and improving on issues of sexisim, racism and homophobia in the media because there will always be a crowd of people aren't blatantly racist, sexist, or homophobic (but probably do enjoy the privilege of being either straight and/or white and/or male and usually all three) still shouting "why don't you all just shut up and enjoy this like I do!"

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
No, it's because literally everything has already been covered, so anything more on this specific topic is just repeating the same things. Seth disses the Beatles and it pisses me off so maybe I should write a short essay about how wrong he is and why doesn't he see how they changed everything. What kind of 30 something thinks like this???

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

CortezFantastic posted:

No, it's because literally everything has already been covered, so anything more on this specific topic is just repeating the same things. Seth disses the Beatles and it pisses me off so maybe I should write a short essay about how wrong he is and why doesn't he see how they changed everything. What kind of 30 something thinks like this???

Because not liking the Beatles is literally IRL comparable to hate speech against other human beings. Thanks for your serious and well thought out entry into this discussion.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Oh great, the old "yeah yeah we all get it bigotry is bad now shut up about it and let me enjoy my privilege in peace" tactic. Sure you're done hearing about it but maybe some people aren't done discussing it. In fact all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about this topic of discussion even being brought up is making me reconsider my position and maybe Jah's casual use of them is more effective at normalizing them than I originally thought.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

SullivanPRIME posted:

Because not liking the Beatles is literally IRL comparable to hate speech against other human beings. Thanks for your serious and well thought out entry into this discussion.

Because that's what I'm saying. Instead, I'll thank you for your continued efforts in this thread to somehow not understand that they don't actually hate gays, and that sometimes words lose their original meaning. Let's get another page about how a guy who thought he was hand picked by Jah to be the white prophet for Rastafarianism might be wrong saying a hurtful word on a comedy podcast. hint: he might be a shithead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CortezFantastic posted:

Because that's what I'm saying. Instead, I'll thank you for your continued efforts in this thread to somehow not understand that they don't actually hate gays, and that sometimes words lose their original meaning. Let's get another page about how a guy who thought he was hand picked by Jah to be the white prophet for Rastafarianism might be wrong saying a hurtful word on a comedy podcast. hint: he might be a shithead

No one's saying they actually hate gays, they're saying that maybe words he's used haven't lost their meaning.

EDIT:

The point is it was a perfectly fine, reasonable discussion--which doesn't happen a lot--that would have run its course without people going "Chill out, it's just a podcast, don't take anything seriously". Hint: no one's taking it too seriously, it's just a discussion.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 3, 2012