Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

thideras posted:

Why get an addon NIC when the board comes with one?
The Realtek 8111E the board comes with has been known to have driver issues with both Linux and FreeBSD -- slow speeds, link going down/up, even kernel panics. I know its fixed in certain Linux kernels (including Ubuntu 12.04) but I'm not so sure about FreeBSD, particularly 8.2. Going Intel gives you peace-of-mind in regards to both performance and compatibility.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

frumpsnake posted:

Going Intel gives you peace-of-mind in regards to both performance and compatibility.
Interestingly enough, I fired up my test server last night to make sure everything is ready for the reviews and FreeNAS absolutely refused to work with my Intel gigabit PCIe NIC. It had no lights on and claimed there was no cable connected. I was a bit surprised. Onboard worked fine, although they are Realtek ones.

That being said, I just had another set of drives arrive today. This time they are eight Seagate 1.5tb (ST31500341AS) that I got for $400 shipped. These are going into my NAS test server in place of the 750gb Seagates that I just purchased. This gives me a total of 49.526tb of raw spinning disk.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
I hope this is the right thread to ask this question. I want to turn my old laptop into a server. I was originally going to use an old desktop but I figured the laptop would use less power 24/7. The server needs to be able to run SABnzbd. What is the most energy efficient way to go about this? I thought that FreeNAS would be the best choice, but my idle power usage seems high at ~25W. I've been reading that people get lower usages with Windows Server. Or maybe I'm going about this in completely the wrong way?

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

Shane-O-Mac posted:

I hope this is the right thread to ask this question. I want to turn my old laptop into a server. I was originally going to use an old desktop but I figured the laptop would use less power 24/7. The server needs to be able to run SABnzbd. What is the most energy efficient way to go about this? I thought that FreeNAS would be the best choice, but my idle power usage seems high at ~25W. I've been reading that people get lower usages with Windows Server. Or maybe I'm going about this in completely the wrong way?
Do you have the power daemon started? It is under services and not enabled by default.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

thideras posted:

Do you have the power daemon started? It is under services and not enabled by default.

Powerd? Yeah, I turned that on, though I don't know how to configure it if that's possible.

Madmanden
Nov 17, 2005

Did someone touch you down there?
What is an affordable and quiet NAS that can download via SickBeard/SABNZBD? It would be a bonus if it's easy to install said software. :)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Synology DS212J.

Madmanden
Nov 17, 2005

Did someone touch you down there?

bobfather posted:

Synology DS212J.

Thanks, I've been looking at that one. It was just hard for me to figure out if SickBeard etc. could be installed on it. :)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Shane-O-Mac posted:

FYI, at the average US utility rate of 10 cents it will cost $1.80 to run that laptop 24/7 for a whole month.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

VulgarandStupid posted:

What would be the disadvantages of using an old Athlon x2 250 system as a double duty HTPC/NAS? I would most likely just throw windows 7 on there, network share the folders and run Playstation media server. My board does allow Raid but I probably wouldn't use it at first. My primary goal is just media sharing but I figure doing manual file backups would be easy as well.

I run nine debian virtual machines and an XP VM on an X2 250 clocked at 3.6GHz with 4GB of ram, and the host they all run on saturates gigE all day long without even thinking about it. You'll be fine.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

FYI, at the average US utility rate of 10 cents it will cost $1.80 to run that laptop 24/7 for a whole month.

Hmm, it seems that I don't know how to read my electric bill. The way I was calculating it, it would cost $30+ to run per month. I'll try to figure out the cost again.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

Shane-O-Mac posted:

Hmm, it seems that I don't know how to read my electric bill. The way I was calculating it, it would cost $30+ to run per month. I'll try to figure out the cost again.
My entire rack of servers takes around 500 watts, and that is $25/mo (7c kilowatt/hr).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Shane-O-Mac posted:

25 watts * 24 hours / 1000 = .6 KW/h per day

.6 * 10 cents = 6 cents per day

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I guess it depends on where you live. Here's my rates in SoCal

I've never not end up in Tier 5 either.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Is there a bt client like Mac's Transmission that basically lets me click on torrents/magnet links in my pc's browser and have them sent to Synology Download Station?

I could set up a mapped 'Watch' folder, but i'd still need a way to click a magnet link and have it download an actual torrent file to that location. I tried this with uTorrent and setting it not to download immediately, but that didn't do anything and is kind of sloppy.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

FCKGW posted:

I guess it depends on where you live. Here's my rates in SoCal

I've never not end up in Tier 5 either.
Yes but all the utilities in SoCal are absolutely terrible and gently caress you with some of the highest prices in the country. I'm usually in Tier 3, and all I leave on 24/7 is my N40L. 300kWh/mo is only "normal" usage in some strange bizarro world that only SDG&E can comprehend.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 4, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
In Australia I pay 22.6c/kWh for the first 1750kwH (quarterly), then its up to 32.01c. :/

uG posted:

Is there a bt client like Mac's Transmission that basically lets me click on torrents/magnet links in my pc's browser and have them sent to Synology Download Station?

I could set up a mapped 'Watch' folder, but i'd still need a way to click a magnet link and have it download an actual torrent file to that location. I tried this with uTorrent and setting it not to download immediately, but that didn't do anything and is kind of sloppy.

Why not just use Transmission instead of Synology Download Station and then use your Transmission remote app of choice?

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 4, 2012

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

frumpsnake posted:

In Australia I pay 22.6c/kWh for the first 1750kwH (quarterly), then its up to 32.01c. :/

It sucks, and the prices keep rising. Something to do with needing to replace all the power lines so they don't kill people during floods/fires/earthquakes/giant spider attacks

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Is there a way to place zfs snapshots into a custom (external usb hard drive) location in FreeNAS 8.x?

If not, I guess my only option would be rsync to the external volumes? That kinda sucks.

It's almost the last thing I need to do before I can leave my current job. That and writing tons of documentation for my boss.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

I run nine debian virtual machines and an XP VM on an X2 250 clocked at 3.6GHz with 4GB of ram, and the host they all run on saturates gigE all day long without even thinking about it. You'll be fine.

Kinda off topic but I'm curious... what is your host OS in this setup?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

DNova posted:

Is there a way to place zfs snapshots into a custom (external usb hard drive) location in FreeNAS 8.x?

If not, I guess my only option would be rsync to the external volumes? That kinda sucks.

It's almost the last thing I need to do before I can leave my current job. That and writing tons of documentation for my boss.

You can use zfs send and zfs receive to keep a backup copy of the filesystem on external media.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Madmanden posted:

What is an affordable and quiet NAS that can download via SickBeard/SABNZBD? It would be a bonus if it's easy to install said software. :)

The readynas units do i believe.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Not strictly NAS related, but I'm sure people in here will know the answer.

I set up my N40L with Ubuntu/ZFS on Linux and it's been ticking over fine for a couple of months, but I remembered I should really have a scrub/snapshot schedule set up. I set these entries in my crontab (sudo crontab -e):
code:
0 3 * * 6 /sbin/zpool scrub mypool
0 0 * * * /sbin/zfs snapshot mypool@`date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M`.auto
The scrub schedule works fine once a week, but the daily snapshots are never created. If I run the command manually (sudo /sbin/zfs snapshot mypool@`date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M`.auto) it does create a snapshot for that date/time. Is there something obvious I'm missing, being reasonably new to linux?

Also, is taking a snapshot daily overkill? How often is the consensus? As it's media storage my files don't change that regularly at all really so weekly would probably be fine, but it seems like it's low overhead and little disadvantage to doing it daily.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Froist posted:

Not strictly NAS related, but I'm sure people in here will know the answer.

I set up my N40L with Ubuntu/ZFS on Linux and it's been ticking over fine for a couple of months, but I remembered I should really have a scrub/snapshot schedule set up. I set these entries in my crontab (sudo crontab -e):
code:
0 3 * * 6 /sbin/zpool scrub mypool
0 0 * * * /sbin/zfs snapshot mypool@`date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M`.auto
The scrub schedule works fine once a week, but the daily snapshots are never created. If I run the command manually (sudo /sbin/zfs snapshot mypool@`date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M`.auto) it does create a snapshot for that date/time. Is there something obvious I'm missing, being reasonably new to linux?

Also, is taking a snapshot daily overkill? How often is the consensus? As it's media storage my files don't change that regularly at all really so weekly would probably be fine, but it seems like it's low overhead and little disadvantage to doing it daily.

My guess would be that you need the full path for the date command.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hed posted:

Kinda off topic but I'm curious... what is your host OS in this setup?

Debian squeeze, I wanted to keep things as easy-peasy as possible.

I run raid5 on LVM, serve SMB straight off the host (because i set it up before I knew about disabling ethernet checksumming on the guests, and couldn't get a guest OS serving SMB properly), export volumes as needed via NFS to the guests. An old Synology CS-407e hangs out too with everything but NFS turned off for snapshot storage.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Froist posted:

There's fuckall overhead, don't sweat it.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

frumpsnake posted:

Why not just use Transmission instead of Synology Download Station and then use your Transmission remote app of choice?
I have a 1512+ and apparently none of the transmission packages at http://synopkg.superzebulon.org/spkrepo/packages at compatible, which I don't understand as at the very bottom is are x86. I tried to do it on my friends 212+ and it installed no problem. It appears to be a known problem with the installation file, so i'm stuck using download manager for now.

edit: Got it installed. The problem was I didn't precede the downloads share with /volume1 during the install.

uG fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 7, 2012

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I'm getting tired of this drat WD Sharespace overheating and locking up for no reason and not being expandable. How does this look? Am I missing anything obvious?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Pudgygiant posted:

I'm getting tired of this drat WD Sharespace overheating and locking up for no reason and not being expandable. How does this look? Am I missing anything obvious?

Uh, no way in poo poo should you spend that much on a 5 disk NAS, unless you've just got money to burn I guess, or you're going to be doing some crazy CPU intensive stuff that you need latest Ivy Bridge and 16 GB of RAM.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Uh, no way in poo poo should you spend that much on a 5 disk NAS, unless you've just got money to burn I guess, or you're going to be doing some crazy CPU intensive stuff that you need latest Ivy Bridge and 16 GB of RAM.

Multiple on-the-fly transcodes, and the Ivy Bridge and RAM are $150 more than 8GB and Sandy Bridge so I'm not too worried about that part.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Pudgygiant posted:

Are you just using this for storage, or is it also going to be doing other things? For plain storage, everything is absolute overkill.

Dial it down to a i3 and a less expensive motherboard like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131841

16GB of RAM isn't really necessary, you can do seeing as how memory is so cheap 8GB for $40 is a sweetspot.

For RAID, do you absolutely require a hardware RAID, or would a JBOD setup suffice? If not, check out this card: http://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-8-...=AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and pair that with something like DriveBender which gives WHS2011 drive-pooling.

Also, check out this case by Lian-Li, it's mini-itx with a hotswap cage: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112339

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Rukus posted:

Are you just using this for storage, or is it also going to be doing other things? For plain storage, everything is absolute overkill.

Dial it down to a i3 and a less expensive motherboard like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131841

16GB of RAM isn't really necessary, you can do seeing as how memory is so cheap 8GB for $40 is a sweetspot.

For RAID, do you absolutely require a hardware RAID, or would a JBOD setup suffice? If not, check out this card: http://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-8-...=AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and pair that with something like DriveBender which gives WHS2011 drive-pooling.

Also, check out this case by Lian-Li, it's mini-itx with a hotswap cage: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112339

It's going to be doing HTPC duties in addition to transcoding to multiple devices simultaneously. I looked at the Q25, I'd probably have gone with it if it came with a PSU, but as it is it'd be more expensive to get a decent PSU, and there's nothing that'd fit with 6+ SATA power connectors on it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The primary problem with trying to use the same machine for an HTPC and NAS is that in smaller enclosures the heat buildup can mess with the life of the hard drives (we're talking 55 c+ drives). The Fractal Array R2 case is already known to not be the best at heat dissipation, so I would hope you're putting the case in a well-ventilated area (not in a closed TV stand).

Then there's the noise issue with so many drives. I was sshed in unraring a number of files on my HTPC/NAS combo machine and the wife started panicking wondering what was going on while she was watching some movies thinking she had done something wrong or that a cat had headbutted the NAS and my drives were going to die all at once (my cat did do that before and knocked a drive off my desk subsequently causing a mechanical failure). The vibration from the disks had met with a random DVD case and was causing a loud buzz to be emitted.

It's pretty nice to be able to have an all-in-one media monster machine, but balancing the ideals of a high-powered realtime transcoding box, low-power and reliable NAS, and basically invisible and silent HTPC is the holy grail of media boxes IMO and should be approached with careful consideration overall given you're going to make some noticeable trade-off somewhere probably.

To add to the build, I'd argue for a micro ATX case like a Silverstone GD04 (I think that was the model) so you can get some better airflow over all those components and drives.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Pudgygiant posted:

It's going to be doing HTPC duties in addition to transcoding to multiple devices simultaneously. I looked at the Q25, I'd probably have gone with it if it came with a PSU, but as it is it'd be more expensive to get a decent PSU, and there's nothing that'd fit with 6+ SATA power connectors on it.

Hard drives use stupidly little energy, get some power y-cables

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WD introduced a new "Red" line of drives today specifically for NAS users.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810

1, 2, 3TB configs and 3yr warranty.

These are WD drives with firmware that is specific for NAS use. A lot of features borrowed from their RE line with some new stuff thrown in. Performance is somewhere between Blue and Black territory while power consumption is comparable to the Green drives (if I'm reading that right). They've also been pre-qualed with all major vendors.

Anand has an overview: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6083/wd-introduces-red-nas-optimized-hdd-line
Storage Review has a quick review: http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_red_nas_hard_drive_review_wd30efrx

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Any reason not to use them as system drives? The MSRP is competitive with other drives, and you get high performance along with low power consumption.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Civil posted:

Any reason not to use them as system drives? The MSRP is competitive with other drives, and you get high performance along with low power consumption.
Unless you're going to be leaving your system on and expect HDD activity 24/7, it doesn't provide much advantage over a normal drive. It's also slower in a bunch of cases than a normal Green drive, let alone some of the other drives from other manufacturers, and is a few bucks more than them. They do look very nice for a NAS, but not quite as optimal for normal desktop use.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
It seems like they only have issues with small files, and most of us who care about this poo poo already have a SSD for their system use.

I've moved all my >=2TB drives to my NAS, but I wouldn't mind putting a couple large drive back into my PC for storage. These seem ideal.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Civil posted:

It seems like they only have issues with small files, and most of us who care about this poo poo already have a SSD for their system use.

I've moved all my >=2TB drives to my NAS, but I wouldn't mind putting a couple large drive back into my PC for storage. These seem ideal.

Plus they're RED. I mean, I want to buy them just for the label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe
I'm interested to see what the TLER value is set to. I looked through both reviews briefly, but couldn't find mention of it. The information page on WD's website states it is made for RAID.