Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Paul Pot posted:

Then again, Yod has to be the most complacent fighter in Thailand's history. .

Not this fight. He got knocked down 2 or 3 times in the first round and was pissed as hell and tried to come back, got sloppy, and got out boxed. But yeah, normally you're right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Foot Chat:

Went to class on Saturday, did so many kicks I got blisters underneath my big toe calluses on both feet. Had to cut away all the dead skin ( 0.5cm thick ) because they popped early on I guess ( I didn't notice except for a slight bit of pain at the time ) and they were packed in with dirt and poo poo so I had to clean them out. Now I have loonie-sized patches of raw skin and am learning to walk again. :unsmith:

I had to skip class last night and am trying to figure out a way to go tomorrow night - duct tape? I know a bandaid won't actually hold, but the blisters are still too raw I think to reasonably train without some sort of protection ( like I said, still hurts to walk ).

It's my own fault, I have gigantic calluses on my toes in general because of my flat feet, and my podiatrist told me I have to shave them down 2-3 times a week after the last time this happened. There is just something really unappealing about sitting down to grate a callus off like a nasty block of cheese ( :barf: ) but I suppose now I am paying for the alternative.

Remember to take care of your feet everyone, they're pretty important.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Duct tape, definitely. Fold a section (duh) so you don't do any more damage but honestly it's the greatest way to cover foot injuries.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My heels have been hurting. I'm not sure why -- I ran a little bit 2 weeks ago but I was running on the balls of my feet the whole time. I notice that it hurts after I land a heavy leg kick on the bag.
Do I need to rest this, or will it go away on its own?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
A bit pricey but in the bandaid aisle there is something called Second Skin which is used for burns mainly, but it works awesome for blisters. Put that on, tape it overtop and you should be set.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

swagger like us posted:

A bit pricey but in the bandaid aisle there is something called Second Skin which is used for burns mainly, but it works awesome for blisters. Put that on, tape it overtop and you should be set.

What works for me especially any type of mat burn or blister on the foot is to use "New Skin", a liquid bandage type of product. Basically seals everything up good then just put on a bandage or mole skin bandage and you are good to go. I basically use that stuff for every cut with either a bandage or tape, works wonders.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

I just ordered some bag gloves the other day, so what are some tips for maintaining gloves so they don't smell like an rear end in a top hat after the first month?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For starters, don't poop in them.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Foot Chat posted:

What to cover blisters with

Sweet thanks guys! I might try one of those Second Skin/New Skin things + some duct tape just for good measure. Trip report on Thursday!

Illumination posted:

I just ordered some bag gloves the other day, so what are some tips for maintaining gloves so they don't smell like an rear end in a top hat after the first month?

I've never had an issue with my current longest running pair ( only I think 4 months now so probably not long enough to really judge ) but I wipe them down ( inside and out ) with one of those all natural cleaning wipes ( hippy Lysol wipes ) and then try and spread them open to air out for as long as possible, after every time I use them. They don't really dry things out like your standard Lysol/Clorox ones so the vinyl doesn't crack at all, and my gloves always smell like lemons. :3:

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Illumination posted:

Wear handwraps and don't keep them in your bag after training. That's all I've been doing for 2 years and they still smell like leather, not old sweat.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Makes sense. Thanks guys

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Should I be on the balls of my feet when I do uchi mata or should I plant my heel on my left foot? I'm a right handed player.

e: Mike Swain said that japanese judoka train uki goshi an hour a day. Is that true? After I got my yellow belt my coach told me to forget o goshi and uki goshi exist because I'll never use it and it wont be used against me. I just watched some uki goshi and it looks similar to hane goshi. So is it used as training for hane goshi or is it actually something I should have been training this whole time.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 4, 2012

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Illumination posted:

http://www.glovedogs.com/

I had a pair of gloves that I used six days a week for about a year. When I left the country I gave my gloves to a friend and despite being real beat up they still smelled fine. I did nothing to them but use glove dogs.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

http://www.glovedogs.com/

I had a pair of gloves that I used six days a week for about a year. When I left the country I gave my gloves to a friend and despite being real beat up they still smelled fine. I did nothing to them but use glove dogs.

I feel like you could just put some baking soda in flanel and get the same results? Might be cheaper? Also to play devil's advocate, it might not work at all.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Baking soda in a pouch works ok. You can shoe dogs (slightly less ideal shape) at most sports stores.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've read that you can buy cedar chips from a pet store and stuff them in socks to do the same thing as those glove dogs.

I haven't done it tho.. I'm kinda lazy..

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Nierbo posted:

e: Mike Swain said that japanese judoka train uki goshi an hour a day. Is that true?

I just asked my third-in-his-prefecture judoka friend. His English isn't the best, but the understanding I got was "No, but yes."

He said he would do a lot of work on "fundamentals" every day, and then some work on anything he thought he needed to polish up. I'm not a judoka so I don't know what judo fundamentals are, I'll leave it to you to interpret that. For him, osoto gari and uchi mata were "my favourite" and what he put a lot of focus into but everyone had their own thing. I'm guessing those two because they're high percentage throws in a competition setting or something.

Caveat: His English is pretty bad so he may have misspoken when trying to explain something or I may have misunderstood. Take with a grain of salt.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 4, 2012

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

mewse posted:

I've read that you can buy cedar chips from a pet store and stuff them in socks to do the same thing as those glove dogs.

I haven't done it tho.. I'm kinda lazy..

You get the same results with kitty litter

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I just found out my gym does Sunday morning BJJ sessions run by judo instructors. They don't give a gently caress about ippon, just landing sweet throws to set up favourable BJJ situations :woop:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
GLOVECHAT: if you for some reason don't want to use cedar chips or baking soda/kitty litter/dark matter in a pouch or whatever, you can also stuff some fresh newspaper inside your gloves after sweating them soaked. The ultimate lazy-man solution. Then remove the paper in a few hours after they have sucked in most of the moisture. At least makes the gloves dry faster, which extends their lifetime in regards of smelling terrible.

I'm even lazier, I just have 4 sets of gloves these days accumulated over time, and use a different pair each time.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Xguard86 posted:

Does anyone have a travel heavy job? I am looking around for a new spot , and I am trying to figure out if taking something like that position will just kill my bjj.

Yep. It sucks. Right now I'm on a 16 on, 12 off roster, working in Australia, living in New Zealand. I actually use 2 of my 12 days off to fly home to NZ and then back to Oz. I've been doing similar since early 2010 and it makes it super hard to train well. I actually took 5 months off at the start of this year just so I could train and have a fight.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Glovechat: Looking for some new 10oz for bag/pad work, not happy with the ones Ive had, gave them away. Anyone have Twins Special gloves? I tried a 10oz pair of those I found at the gym and they were the best fitting I've ever felt.

Also does anyone use those big fat heavy tube skipping ropes? Where can I get one of them? My gym had a couple but they've broken over the years

Also, Agechat, there's a guy at my gym who is 40 and having his first amateur muay thai fight on the 28th of this month. He'll do fine.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Oh and I dry my gloves with newspaper and that works fine but my shinpads always smell like rear end.

I've tried wearing a sock type slip on shin guard inside my nice shinpads but it's too bulky and awkward.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Crossposting again, the IJF released Another pre-Olympics highlight video. This time for the -48kg Female division. Looks like they'll be releasing one a day for a while.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Nierbo posted:

Should I be on the balls of my feet when I do uchi mata or should I plant my heel on my left foot? I'm a right handed player.

e: Mike Swain said that japanese judoka train uki goshi an hour a day. Is that true? After I got my yellow belt my coach told me to forget o goshi and uki goshi exist because I'll never use it and it wont be used against me. I just watched some uki goshi and it looks similar to hane goshi. So is it used as training for hane goshi or is it actually something I should have been training this whole time.

Keep your feet flat if possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4T5rXyCQvs That said, I have tight calves and often end up on the balls of my feet during the throwing action (the lift), especially against taller players, and people compliment me on my uchi mata often.

Also we didn't spend much time on uki goshi specifically when I was in Japan, but we did practice that kind of hip action as a throwing mechanism a lot, and since uki goshi could be called the simplest version of that movement, maybe that's what Swain meant?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm gonna nerd out here, but has anybody been picking up the TMA vs MMA stuff beneath the surface of the new Avatar series?

The magic system in The Last Airbender was very much based on traditional chinese martial arts, and the animation was built upon them, while the second series has a "pro bending" sport where all of the animation is very MMA based. They sprawl, they block projectiles like a thai boxer blocks kicks, they wrestle a bit. I think it's a pretty cool detail. One of the first episodes was about how a "traditional bender" was too blinded by tradition to recognize the evolution of his art.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm gonna nerd out here, but has anybody been picking up the TMA vs MMA stuff beneath the surface of the new Avatar series?

The magic system in The Last Airbender was very much based on traditional chinese martial arts, and the animation was built upon them, while the second series has a "pro bending" sport where all of the animation is very MMA based. They sprawl, they block projectiles like a thai boxer blocks kicks, they wrestle a bit. I think it's a pretty cool detail. One of the first episodes was about how a "traditional bender" was too blinded by tradition to recognize the evolution of his art.

Yeah, not sure if this is more suited for TV/IV. I absolutely noticed in one of the early episodes where it showed someone showing the main character boxing moves. That definitely wouldn't have happened in the first show. I wonder if it is to do with the rising popularity of MMA, or just part of the general theme of practicality overtaking tradition.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

gimpsuitjones posted:

Glovechat: Looking for some new 10oz for bag/pad work, not happy with the ones Ive had, gave them away. Anyone have Twins Special gloves? I tried a 10oz pair of those I found at the gym and they were the best fitting I've ever felt.

Also does anyone use those big fat heavy tube skipping ropes? Where can I get one of them? My gym had a couple but they've broken over the years

Also, Agechat, there's a guy at my gym who is 40 and having his first amateur muay thai fight on the 28th of this month. He'll do fine.

Do 10oz gloves not hurt people's knuckles for heavy bag work? I haven't used them since I first started. I only use 16oz now, and have a different pair for sparring.

I really should note when I get them to see how long they last - I think about 6 months and they really start to wear with heavy use, and my knuckles are starting to feel it again.

Edit: agechat, I'm about to be 28 and the fittest I've been since I was swimming 8-10x a week as a teenager. Also, chicks dig hip flexors

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Thanks for the reply civil disobedience. Its incredibly weird to me that I've been trying to stay on my toes for all forward throws but now I have an exception to that. I almost sort of argued with one of the black belts that I've been taught to be on the balls of my feet for all forward throws but now its confirmed, I'm an idiot.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
-66kg Men preview video

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks for the glovedog chat earlier. I have a small group that trains together, and I provide the shared gloves and focus mitts. (All new stuff, we just bought the gear a week ago). I went out and got a tub of those Clorox disinfecting wipes, a bag of cedar chips, some socks, and a couple of cheap kitchen towels. I made glovedogs out of the chips and socks, and we'll use the towels to wipe off sweat when trading gloves and mitts during sessions. I'll wipe down the insides of everything after each training session. Hopefully no odor problems will result.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Glove Chat:

Sharing your personal gloves. There have been a few cases where a total newb is joining the class and the club is out of spares, when I am partnered with them the inevitable question comes up - "Can I borrow yours?". I agree because it's not their fault and I want to encourage them to come again/know that we're good people. Inside though I shudder because I *hate* sharing sweaty gloves, it's one of the many reasons I bought my own! This happened last night and the guy was cool but sweaty as gently caress, it's so nasty putting your gloves on and feeling foreign sweat pooling about your fingers. I haven't ever had to share them twice in a row with the same person, and it's only happened a few times, but I'm torn between trying to be nice / not a clean freak sperglord and also trying not to gross myself out.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TollTheHounds posted:

Glove Chat:

Sharing your personal gloves. There have been a few cases where a total newb is joining the class and the club is out of spares, when I am partnered with them the inevitable question comes up - "Can I borrow yours?". I agree because it's not their fault and I want to encourage them to come again/know that we're good people. Inside though I shudder because I *hate* sharing sweaty gloves, it's one of the many reasons I bought my own! This happened last night and the guy was cool but sweaty as gently caress, it's so nasty putting your gloves on and feeling foreign sweat pooling about your fingers. I haven't ever had to share them twice in a row with the same person, and it's only happened a few times, but I'm torn between trying to be nice / not a clean freak sperglord and also trying not to gross myself out.

That's really gross and your gym should be lending gloves to the new people rather than relying on your magnanimity

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
From 207lbs to 196lbs in less than three weeks without seriously "cutting" :psyduck:

I'm apparently getting hungrier as I (do not) eat, my target was 195lbs for good but if I managed this so fast, why not aim for 187lbs (85kg) just as well.

Good things: I have lost a spare tire from my waist, such as it was.
Bad things: I've also lost muscle and on occasion feel weak doing calisthenics that load my shoulders and arms. At the same time, core exercises are easier then ever though.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

mewse posted:

That's really gross and your gym should be lending gloves to the new people rather than relying on your magnanimity

I agree, but for whatever reason when this happens the newbies have joined in waves ( as in 5+ on the same day ) and it always seems to happen when I'm their partner and when we are out of spares ( because they're all being used ). I just want to start training rather than waiting for someone to dig an old old pair up from the back closet, so I suppose it's also my fault for letting my impatience trump my revulsion at someone other dudes sweat. There seems to have been some sort of supply issue where the owner has been waiting weeks for new gear for the shop, so hopefully we'll be flush with spares again by the end of the week.

At least I know I'm not crazy and being some stuck up dick for not wanting to share my gloves ( even though I do on occasion anyway ) though, thanks!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

From 207lbs to 196lbs in less than three weeks without seriously "cutting" :psyduck:

How did you pull this off? Any links you could share? I've got about 3 weeks to cut 5-10 lbs

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

mewse posted:

How did you pull this off? Any links you could share? I've got about 3 weeks to cut 5-10 lbs

uh if you got 3 weeks you can just eat a bit less and then lose the last 4 pounds in the sauna

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
niethan's right, if you are cutting (as I'm not) just, for example, drop all/most carbs for 6-7 days, which takes care of eating less but still hopefully won't reduce your muscle mass THAT much (15% is pretty much optimum) at the same time, drink a lot of water (add something like 2-3 liters to your regular daily dosage - it washes out the salts which in turn tie water) and stop drinking so much water 2 days before you make weight. Before weighing just hit the sauna or do sweaty cardio for 2-3 hours unless you are not where you want to be already.

That's 10lbs off your weight right there I'm telling you.

I'm not looking to cut that much, I'm looking to permanently drop my weight -> so I've been skipping that evening beer in the porch, eating smaller portions especially when it comes to fat poo poo (I love sausages, rich cheeses, etc) and just adding regular activity like "walking" as much as I can. I try to walk to work and back home etc. I'm not training any more than I am usually. I'm just slowly burning off mass, basically. I know I should add weights but don't have the place to go with a price I feel I can afford right now. Then again, when I have my living room cleared I can swing kettlebells to much hearts content, as weights are awesome for dropping... weight.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mewse posted:

As in "lose 5-10 pounds to look better at the beach" or "lose 10 pounds for a weigh in". These are very different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Thanks for these man!

• Locked thread