Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

The fact that the engine was literally unfinished probably didn't help either.

Yeah, consoles weren't the issue - there are console and multiplatform games from the same era with no technical issues whatsoever - it's more down to the fact that their lead engine programmer bailed mid-way through development and his code was effectively un-commented

There's a decent game there, and one that could have been great with a while longer in development and a good engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Gorn Myson posted:

I think the consensus with IW though is that its a good game, but just a really lovely sequel. I had a lot of fun with it back in the day but I haven't played it since its release so I have no idea how well it holds up.

I played it a couple of years ago, and whenever I think of it I also think of Bioshock 2.

It's a fun game on its own, but coming as a largely-unnecessary sequel to one of the landmark titles of the decade, it doesn't really measure up.

If you don't go into it expecting another Deus Ex magnum opus, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
They took out all the gameplay elements that gave the player the illusion of freedom (a very interesting game design subject of which deus ex 1 is a prime example) this in-turn made it feel like you had less control over the game and how you interact with the world. This is what makes people say it's dumbed down. They removed stuff players hardly used, stripping the gameplay down to it's core elements in an attempt to not overwhelm consoles players new to the series.

I'm not defending the game btw, in doing this they ruined it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
edit reading comprehension

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Today on DotEmu is 70% off Funbox Media titles.

Includes Hardwar and Guilty Gear Isuka. Also some other titles that are also available on GOG.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And today's Battle of the Games thing is a real ripper: Spacechem vs. The Incredible Machine!

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

iastudent posted:

Today on DotEmu is 70% off Funbox Media titles.

Includes Hardwar and Guilty Gear Isuka. Also some other titles that are also available on GOG.

Guilty Gear is busy enough with just two people fighting, but four way battles spread over two planes while trying to keep track of which way you're facing...Isuka is a mess to play. Gloriously chaotic at times, but mostly a mess. The Final Fight style Boost Mode was also awkward to play though. Still, the soundtrack it pretty good and it's all available in .ogg format in the game directory, and at this price it's worth it for that alone. Anyone who's played I Wanna Be The Guy should recognise a couple of tracks.

Also Sanitarium won the last round, it's well worth a look at $4. A dark, twisting point and click game where you try to piece together the main character's fractured mind. And giggle like an idiot while riding on those playground spring animal ride things.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

The Kins posted:

And today's Battle of the Games thing is a real ripper: Spacechem vs. The Incredible Machine!

Oh wow, I didn't even know GOG had The Incredible Machine. I really don't need more games right now but I may not be able to resist this for $4.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

And if there weren't enough old games on sale today already, Gamersgate has the Gothic Complete Collection for $4.99

iastudent fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 3, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

As much as I love The Incredible Machine, and as many hours as I have spent playing it, SpaceChem is the better game.

That said, they're both fantastic and well worth whatever pittance GOG is asking for them.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Zeeman posted:

Oh wow, I didn't even know GOG had The Incredible Machine. I really don't need more games right now but I may not be able to resist this for $4.

They've had it for ages, it was the very first game I ever bought with them, in fact.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

As much as I love The Incredible Machine, and as many hours as I have spent playing it, SpaceChem is the better game.

That said, they're both fantastic and well worth whatever pittance GOG is asking for them.
The Incredible Machine is winning and is only on GOG unlike SpaceChem which many people may have on Steam through Humble Bundles.

Both very good games though. I can't wait to relive my memories of making a noise machine with bouncy balls and cats.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Anyone who likes open world space sims should hold their nose on the graphics and get Hardwar on DotEmu today, because it's pretty great, and because it's just a drat dollar.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is Sanitarium worth getting if I like other strange games or is it too obtuse to play now? I'm going to grab Scratches because I enjoyed the game a while back.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Mr E posted:

Is Sanitarium worth getting if I like other strange games or is it too obtuse to play now? I'm going to grab Scratches because I enjoyed the game a while back.

I got Sanitarium last year. It was pretty fun, and certainly pretty strange.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mr E posted:

I don't really like figuring out puzzles or hunting pixels, and the wacky personalities in most adventure games don't reach me.

I liked Sanitarium. And the theme was good.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Cass posted:

Guilty Gear is busy enough with just two people fighting, but four way battles spread over two planes while trying to keep track of which way you're facing...Isuka is a mess to play. Gloriously chaotic at times, but mostly a mess. The Final Fight style Boost Mode was also awkward to play though. Still, the soundtrack it pretty good and it's all available in .ogg format in the game directory, and at this price it's worth it for that alone. Anyone who's played I Wanna Be The Guy should recognise a couple of tracks.

Figures the guy with the Sol avatar would chime in. :v:

I got to see Isuka in action during a mystery game tourney the local fighting game group did recently. It's... something special, even if you're already used to Guilty Gear. I actually bought Isuka off Gamersgate a while back but never bothered to download it... think I'll finally give that a spin today.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

iastudent posted:

Figures the guy with the Sol avatar would chime in. :v:

I got to see Isuka in action during a mystery game tourney the local fighting game group did recently. It's... something special, even if you're already used to Guilty Gear. I actually bought Isuka off Gamersgate a while back but never bothered to download it... think I'll finally give that a spin today.

I played it on PS2 back when it came out, the game itself is kind of a soup sandwich but it's worth two bucks for the soundtrack

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Zedicus Mann posted:

The Incredible Machine is winning and is only on GOG unlike SpaceChem which many people may have on Steam through Humble Bundles.

Both very good games though. I can't wait to relive my memories of making a noise machine with bouncy balls and cats.
Seriously, Incredible Machine is amazing and I had forgotten about it until today. I had no idea it was on GOG, this is incredible :3:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

doctorfrog posted:

Anyone who likes open world space sims should hold their nose on the graphics and get Hardwar on DotEmu today, because it's pretty great, and because it's just a drat dollar.

Yes! Also, read the Lonely Mushroom LP.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

He's got a decent mod guide as well: http://lonelymushroom.com/?p=988

I knew about UIM0.6, but wasn't sure if any of the others were any good, or worked at all. Looks like he braved the forums and did the research.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

macnbc posted:

I got Sanitarium last year. It was pretty fun, and certainly pretty strange.

It's strange, and it's also creepy and depressing as hell, especially once you get further into the story and find out some of the background.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Woah. There's now a Dungeon Keeper 2 patch to fix hardware acceleration compatibility.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Blodskur posted:

Woah. There's now a Dungeon Keeper 2 patch to fix hardware acceleration compatibility.
And some extras for the Witcher games, including a... "metal music video"?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Before the deal on it ends for today, does DotEmu's version of Hardwar come with the fan patches and/or bug fixes dome after its release?

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Mr E posted:

Count me in for recommending sanitarium, too. It's a great adventure game, and a bit off the wall. (just a bit).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Mr E posted:

My girlfriend who isn't (or wasn't at the time) that familiar with PC gaming got through it without problems and it is now her favourite game.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Scratches scared the jeepers out of my wife. It's got a pretty oppressive atmosphere and some really good moments. I liked that one, but it got the higher price and I already have Sanitarium... wondering if I should get Scratches again since my disc is on the other side of the world right now.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Scratches has some seriously dumb puzzles, keep UHS on standby to fully enjoy it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Today's DotEmu deal is 60% off Anuman games.

Lots of adventure stuff in there like the Syberia games and some other oddballs like MegaRace and Moto Racer.

E: Not everything appears to be discounted. Hopefully just a gaff and they'll fix it soon.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Outcast versus Psychonauts in today's GOG BOTG; Outcast has a healthy lead. TIM won yesterday.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Just finished Psychonauts for my blog and it has amazing ideas and concepts coupled with horrendous gameplay. The first half is OK and then just goes downhill when the difficulty goes up. I'd recommend it when it goes on sale, though. I don't remember how Outcast goes because I haven't played it for about 13 years or so. I remember it being really cool, but the voxels may not hold up that well.

matty6678
Jul 4, 2012
Casting my mind back Outcast was a great concept for a game of its time albeit a real resource hog. The grapics were great for the time and the gameplay was smooth.

IMO Outcast comes out ahead of Pysconauts but would recommend both.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
I played Outcast about a year ago and I had a blast. They did a really good job making the game feel like a big-budget Hollywood movie. The environments are interesting, the combat is fun, and the story isn't a horrible mess that tries to overextend itself. I remember the voice acting and music being particularly good, and the whole game just flows really well.

That being said, the graphics are incredibly bizarre and might not be to everyone's taste. There's a patch and a .ini tweak in the gog.com forums for it that help, but it's still a very awkward looking game.

Here's a video that will give you an idea of what it can look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIYkV2t6o4M

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Unless you played Outcast in 1999 or the early 2000s, you just cannot appreciate enough how good that water looked back then. Seriously, I don't think I saw anything close to that until like 2004 and Half-Life 2 -- basically, 3D accelerated games couldn't pull off that kind of water until 5 years later.

The voxel graphics in general really are sort of weird looking (and forced you to use some really low resolutions on the hardware of those days) but they also enabled some crazy good and quite natural-looking scenery and vast areas.

And, that water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgIrvt9zJ8k&t=79s

Zat fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 4, 2012

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Sackmo posted:

still a very awkward looking game.

Here's a video that will give you an idea of what it can look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIYkV2t6o4M

You misspelled awesome :colbert:

Outcast is fantastic. I still have an old version that I can get to run with some trickery, but I was going to buy the gog version anyway. If you don't own a copy yet, buy it whether it wins or not.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Jesus christ I can't stop laughing at that loving walk animation :laffo:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

WickedIcon posted:

I might have to buy the game just because of that :allears:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The Chronicles of Riddick and Torchlight are battling it out right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

WickedIcon posted:

I would have missed that without this comment. Is he skating? Did he pee himself? Is he pretending he's on the moon?