Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Baronjutter posted:

Ton of buildings getting heat pumps here in Canada, how do they work in winter then?? Are they pumping heat from some secret geothermal cave or something?

You drill wells well below the frost line and pump coolant through. Get deep enough and the ground is a pretty constant 55*F or so. It's also possible to run them horizontally in a trench if you have the space.

Around here (Southeast Alaska) they're starting to run them where the groundwater is tidally flushed. You don't have to drill very deep at all (30' or less) and the water around the pipes means a very efficient heat transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

10-8 posted:

Anyone with experience doing Fannie or Freddie loans have a general idea how much the loan-level pricing adjustment (for Fannie) or the delivery fees (for Freddie) affect the interest rate if the fees aren't paid up front? HARP caps Freddie's delivery fees at 2% of loan value. For a $90,000 loan, that's only $1,800 to pay the fees up front.

Yet Chase is telling me that (1) I can't pay the fees up front, and (2) the fees are causing my rate to go up from market rate (about 3.7%) to 4.75%. Something seems off here.

I really cannot think of a reason why you cannot pay the fees up front.

Even with a lot of state licensing rules (which is a tangential reason why you might not be able to do it) about high costs loans you should still be able to pay the fees up front.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
I thought maybe this was the place to ask this question:

How the gently caress do I wade through all the bullshit online and find a decent place to rent? I live in the East Bay in California and we are looking to move out of our current apartment because our lease is up and the property managers are douche bags. So we're back in the market after being out for 5 years and everything online is just so... corporaty and inflated.

Should I contact a Realtor for the area we are looking and let them know we are interested in a rental in our price range? Or what? Rent.com and all other websites are awful. Thoughts? Ideas? Insight?

Thanks!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Advent Horizon posted:

You drill wells well below the frost line and pump coolant through. Get deep enough and the ground is a pretty constant 55*F or so. It's also possible to run them horizontally in a trench if you have the space.

Around here (Southeast Alaska) they're starting to run them where the groundwater is tidally flushed. You don't have to drill very deep at all (30' or less) and the water around the pipes means a very efficient heat transfer.

I am pretty sure the Canadian guy is talking about regular air exchange heat pumps, but these are much better.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

10-8 posted:

Yet Chase is telling me that (1) I can't pay the fees up front, and (2) the fees are causing my rate to go up from market rate (about 3.7%) to 4.75%. Something seems off here.

I would stop messing around with a for profit bank and go find an independent mortgage broker who will work to get you the lowest rate possible. If you're willing to pay 2 points up front there is no reason you shouldn't be walking away with sub 4%

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

skipdogg posted:

I would stop messing around with a for profit bank and go find an independent mortgage broker who will work to get you the lowest rate possible. If you're willing to pay 2 points up front there is no reason you shouldn't be walking away with sub 4%

There is nothing wrong with for profit banks, just Chase is not a company you should do business with. Credit unions and small local banks can be pretty awesome.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
We'd love to ditch Chase but we've had problems finding another bank to do a HARP refinance because (1) the underwriters are calling it an investment property now since it's been rented for the last year, and a lot of lenders have added an overlay precluding investment property refinances, and (2) it's a Freddie Mac loan with PMI, and apparently there's a lot of logistical problems right now getting the PMI transferred to the new loan. If we had a Fannie Mae loan, we'd have no problems.

Actually, one other bank did tell us they'd do a HARP refinance: at 5% for a 15-year fixed. This is with a 800+ FICO and 105% LTV. It's ridiculous. We're considering skipping HARP, just dumping cash into principal over the next year, and then doing a traditional refi once we get the LTV down to 80%.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

Rent.com and all other websites are awful. Thoughts? Ideas? Insight?
Is craigslist no good in the East Bay? I've always always found my apartments through CL.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
In looking for a house, I came across a short sale in Massachusetts for 76k. It says it needs a lot of tlc, so I have a few questions about that.

How much would it cost to add a room? It's a ranch style house so we would be building it into the backyard and we want a second bathroom.

If I were to add a level, or knock the entire thing down, would that be a lot more?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Finally have enough equity to refinance, woot. 15 years, 2.875%.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

moana posted:

Is craigslist no good in the East Bay? I've always always found my apartments through CL.
Ditto on this one. I've never had a bad experience on the 3 houses/apartments I've rented through Craigslist over the last 5 years.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

10-8 posted:

We'd love to ditch Chase but we've had problems finding another bank to do a HARP refinance because (1) the underwriters are calling it an investment property now since it's been rented for the last year, and a lot of lenders have added an overlay precluding investment property refinances, and (2) it's a Freddie Mac loan with PMI, and apparently there's a lot of logistical problems right now getting the PMI transferred to the new loan. If we had a Fannie Mae loan, we'd have no problems.

Actually, one other bank did tell us they'd do a HARP refinance: at 5% for a 15-year fixed. This is with a 800+ FICO and 105% LTV. It's ridiculous. We're considering skipping HARP, just dumping cash into principal over the next year, and then doing a traditional refi once we get the LTV down to 80%.

One thing you might do in your case is just check who is your PMI provider right now, because you are right about it being an issue with the PMI getting transferred over. Find out who they will transfer over to you and then just focus on those companies. It is going to be a little more difficult considering its an investment, but thats life.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

Should I contact a Realtor for the area we are looking and let them know we are interested in a rental in our price range? Or what? Rent.com and all other websites are awful. Thoughts? Ideas? Insight?

Ever try padmapper.com ? Depending on what area you're from it might be helpful. It combs the postings from some other classifieds sites and puts them on a map for you. It doesn't work all the time though.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
How much stronger is an offer without the "must sell our current house" contingency? Is not having that contingency generally seen as a "nice to have" on top of the offer, or is having that contingency in place seen as unattractive? I assume that it depends on the seller's situation, competition for the house, etc.

If we have already done the legwork of finding the house, getting our preapproval, and are reasonably confident we can navigate the process (been through it once before), is it worth considering not using a buyer's agent? Let's say the buyer's agent commission would be 2.5%... I'm considering asking the seller's agent if they would consider refunding 2% to the seller if we don't bring a buyer's agent, netting them another 0.5% and us 2%. Is this common, and if so, I assume it's information that's withheld from the seller himself? I would need this in writing, so I assume that if the seller's agent is willing to do this, they would be willing to write this down.

Based on my perception of the demand for the house that we're looking at, I'm considering putting in an offer that is discounted X% from the listing price, with a 2% refund to the seller. Making the house a X% discount from my standpoint and a (X-2)% discount from the seller's standpoint. Based on the sale-to-list ratios in the town, I'm considering starting with X as 4 or 5%.

The offer would be contingent upon selling our current house, an inspection, and financing (with an attached preapproval letter). I forget, do I attach earnest money to the inital offer or is this put up at P&S signing? I seem to remember something like $1,000 with the offer and 5% of purchase price at P&S. Maybe I'm just imagining the money that went in with the initial offer...

Lastly, what is the timeframe like to sell a current house if we make the offer first? This is Massachusetts, if that's required information. Just wondering if we will have literally 2 weeks to sell, or how it would work. I'm sure the RE agent we're getting will answer this, but I wanted someone else's perspective, especially people that have been through it (trying to sell a house under pressure).

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 2, 2012

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Personally I would not take an offer very seriously if it has a disclaimer at the the top like that. I mean if I like the offer I would accept it but make the buyer aware that I will sell the house immediately to the first buyer that ponies up actual money, including lower offers.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Citycop posted:

Personally I would not take an offer very seriously if it has a disclaimer at the the top like that. I mean if I like the offer I would accept it but make the buyer aware that I will sell the house immediately to the first buyer that ponies up actual money, including lower offers.

Yeah you can't really do that. That is not accepting the offer. You either accept the terms or you don't accept the offer. An offer is a contract. Normally there is a time limit and a fee for taking the house off the market for the specified time or the offer will just be ignored. As a seller I would want to know if the house being sold is offered at a reasonable price or not before accepting the offer.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

uwaeve posted:

How much stronger is an offer without the "must sell our current house" contingency? Is not having that contingency generally seen as a "nice to have" on top of the offer, or is having that contingency in place seen as unattractive? I assume that it depends on the seller's situation, competition for the house, etc.

Lastly, what is the timeframe like to sell a current house if we make the offer first? This is Massachusetts, if that's required information. Just wondering if we will have literally 2 weeks to sell, or how it would work. I'm sure the RE agent we're getting will answer this, but I wanted someone else's perspective, especially people that have been through it (trying to sell a house under pressure).

I can't tell you anything about the other stuff you were saying, but I can give you my experience on the offer with contingency. Basically I'm not sure if it makes it more unattractive but it means you might not get the house (I am in Indiana for reference).

I put an offer on a house that already had an accepted contingent upon selling house offer on it. They had to notify the seller and the other offerers of my offer within 24 hours, and they had 72 hours (I think, my memory of the time lengths are not exact) to decide whether or not to exercise the contingency. Basically they could have said "Screw selling our house, we will buy this one now regardless" and I would have been poo poo out of luck even if I'd offered more. The sellers wouldn't have been able to do anything. However, the offerers were unable or unwilling to exercise it and thus my offer was now on the table, and was quickly accepted.

About 4 days after this happened, the original offerers sold their house, and I found out that they were offering more money than I was as well. However, there was nothing they could do, as my offer had already been accepted and was moving forward even though we hadn't closed.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Elephanthead posted:

Yeah you can't really do that. That is not accepting the offer. You either accept the terms or you don't accept the offer. An offer is a contract. Normally there is a time limit and a fee for taking the house off the market for the specified time or the offer will just be ignored. As a seller I would want to know if the house being sold is offered at a reasonable price or not before accepting the offer.

Maybey I'm just too simple and I'm admittedly ignorant about these things but I don't understand what the point of accepting this offer would be then. I wouldn't take my house off the market for someone that might want to buy it. I would just leave it on the market and keep it available for other offers. If the buyer sells his old house he could make me an offer the same day and I would be happy to take it. I guess the only foreseeable benefit for the seller is some sort of hope that you have a buyer semi-locked in, but I think that may be a false premise. My last realtor told me that those offers have so many ways for a seller to get out of them that they are not something you want to hang your hat on. They could just order another inspection or say that something came up with the condition of the house that is out of agreement.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Because you know you have a buyer? For a hot property that's going to have a lot of offers and sell quickly, it doesn't make sense, but if you've had a house on the market for a year or so, especially if no one's living in it, why not accept it? If you get another offer then they have to put up or shut up immediately, and if you don't then you'll still eventually sell it when the buyer's house gets sold. I mean obviously you can get screwed by the buyers backing out in some way, but you don't have to take the house off of the market on a contingent offer so you can still be seeking other buyers while they have their offer on it.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I met with a loan officer today about a interim construction loan. He said it would be 5.5% paid out every 90 days on what you have drawn during that period. During the last period that interest would be rolled into the mortgage, which they do not do in house. I haven't found any banks in town yet that will do the construction loan and the mortgage.

Basically I would owe these guys 5.5% at 90 days and this would be due, in cash. That does not seem normal. Everything I have heard or read worked out to no payments until the house is built. Is this right? or should I run away.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am not saying it is a good idea to accept contingent offers, I am just saying what you propose is not accepting the offer.

Why are you building in a market full of inventory? You could probably do better with a pre owned home combined with a renovation.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Help my dad wants to buy another 50k dollar house in a poor neighborhood because prices are so cheap and I am trying to get him to consider other options (or put it in a rainy day fund as hes using funds that aren't his own). Help me think of alternatives that he could put that 50k dollars into instead that would be similar investments risk wise. He already is heavily invested into cheapo houses like the one hes going to buy another of. Owns 5 or 6. He hates stocks and thinks a 50k dollar house is worth buying just for the ROI on rent.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Help my dad wants to buy another 50k dollar house in a poor neighborhood because prices are so cheap and I am trying to get him to consider other options (or put it in a rainy day fund as hes using funds that aren't his own). Help me think of alternatives that he could put that 50k dollars into instead that would be similar investments risk wise. He already is heavily invested into cheapo houses like the one hes going to buy another of. Owns 5 or 6. He hates stocks and thinks a 50k dollar house is worth buying just for the ROI on rent.

If he wants to be a landlord, lovely properties in lovely neighborhoods are known to have the highest cash flow for small time investors. If he already owns 5 or 6, I assume he already understands the clientele he will be dealing with, so, if he doesn't mind that, his preferred investment is perfectly legitimate and will be a money maker. Leveraging real estate right now is hard to argue against given historical price levels and interest rates. What exactly do you know about the matter?

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 4, 2012

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
So it turns out that VA Loans for co-ops won't be an option mostly because the profit isn't there for lenders. So I've gotten some pre-approvals for conventional loans with 15%. Seeing as I don't want to pay PMI for the full term, but can't cant afford 20% can I pay more per month and eventually eliminate the PMI? I'm being forced to move so waiting and saving isn't so much an option.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Usually with a conventional loan you can pay more every month an reach 20 percent equity and have your PMI fall off sooner rather than later yes.

You would want to make sure you carefully read your initial disclosures from your lender though, as if you have a loan with prepayment penalties, this may not be possible.

If you went FHA instead of conventional you would have to carry the PMI for at least 5 years however, so that is a difference you would want to keep in mind as you are looking at getting pre-approvals.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Well, locked in 2.875% for 15 on a refinance. Let's hope the appraisal comes in OK (there have been three sales of identical floor plans in my building at a higher price than I need over the last three months).

Feels good to get to 80% LTV, given that I bought with like zero down just before the peak of the market.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

gtkor posted:

Usually with a conventional loan you can pay more every month an reach 20 percent equity and have your PMI fall off sooner rather than later yes.

This is true, look up the Homeowners Protection Act of 1998. I just invoked this to get my PMI dropped from my mortgage, saving me around $25/month. Yay!

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Looks like we will be signing a contract with a builder on Monday. From starting to look for a builder and surveying the land it has taken us two months to get The floorplan right and make up our mind on who to go with. I negotiated the build price down to $88 per sqft. The construction loan is 85% of the apprasial value and the rate is 5.25% calculated on what you have drawn each 90 days. The living space if the house is about 2260 sqft. The builder said he was willing to take out an interium loan to meet the missing %15 so we will not be required to bring much more than closing costs to the table. Pretty excited to get started even though I know it will take over a month before any observable physical labor is taking place.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

gvibes posted:

Well, locked in 2.875% for 15 on a refinance. Let's hope the appraisal comes in OK (there have been three sales of identical floor plans in my building at a higher price than I need over the last three months).

Feels good to get to 80% LTV, given that I bought with like zero down just before the peak of the market.

This is just a ridiculous rate. I was super excited to get 3.375 on my 15 year.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

As you should have been. He didnt show you a GFE, you dont know what he locked into. A 3.375 is still a historically strong rate.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

gtkor posted:

As you should have been. He didnt show you a GFE, you dont know what he locked into. A 3.375 is still a historically strong rate.
Yeah, I have no idea what this stuff is. Origination fee is 597, no points. It doesn't seem too bad.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Just got my construction contract signed and the bank is ordering the appraisal. Woot! I gave the builder a $2k advance to put in the construction account to get started with the boring site prep stuff right away.

I love my floorplan and can't wait to see what my heating / cooling bills will be with the foam insulation top and bottom and heat pump. Also going to have a nice view of a huge swatch of Texas off my back porch.

2230 sqft x $88/sqft = $196240
Never thought I would be spending that much on a house :\, but on the flip side rates are insane right now so that's pretty awesome. Fingers crossed but I'm betting they stay low through the election season so I can lock in asap. I can't imagine they would screw with the rates too much when people are ready to go to the polls....

Citycop fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 10, 2012

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

gvibes posted:

Yeah, I have no idea what this stuff is. Origination fee is 597, no points. It doesn't seem too bad.

If your payoff and your new loan amount are only 597 dollars apart, it would be a uniquely good rate, no matter what your profile is.

You could theoretically be streamlining, but even then, id be very surprised to see total settlement charges at 597.

It sounds like a great loan either way though, so congrats!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Citycop posted:

I love my floorplan and can't wait to see what my heating / cooling bills will be with the foam insulation top and bottom and heat pump. Also going to have a nice view of a huge swatch of Texas off my back porch.

This is just based on our first house having a similar floor plan, but can you reverse the door on your master? If you leave it partially open, anyone walking in from the front door can look into your master, whereas if you reversed it, they only see the door.

e: it seems piddly, but you will care when you haven't bothered to clean up your dirty clothes or make your bed or whatever, you'll appreciate that they can't see in!

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 10, 2012

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Citycop... will the house have an attached garage? The floorplan is nice, but it flows strangely especially if your main point of entry will be through the laundry room/mudroom.

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008
And you have to walk through the master bathroom to get to the closet? I hope someone isn't pinching a loaf when you want to get dressed in the morning (or that they mind you walking through while they pinch said loaf).

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

CanadianSuperKing posted:

And you have to walk through the master bathroom to get to the closet? I hope someone isn't pinching a loaf when you want to get dressed in the morning (or that they mind you walking through while they pinch said loaf).
the stool has its own door.

Everybody is a hater on floor plans. I've realized that there is no perfect house. If you get everything you want then it gets too hard to clean/maintain. As long as you have a good architect handle it, they'll take care of the stupid things you won't think of yourself.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Another nitpick, why not reverse the main door and segment the master bedroom closet so that a part of it can be used as a coat closet? Sure you'll give up closet space, but it would be really handy, especially if you entertain often.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

MrEnigma posted:

the stool has its own door.

Everybody is a hater on floor plans. I've realized that there is no perfect house. If you get everything you want then it gets too hard to clean/maintain. As long as you have a good architect handle it, they'll take care of the stupid things you won't think of yourself.

I was thinking about commenting when I originally saw the plans, but then I stopped myself because I realized that you could post 100 floor plans and you would get 500 opinions about them with nobody agreeing on anything, and really if it's the house that you're buying and you like it, then roll with it.

One thing I do wish would happen is that more houses for sale would have the floor plans printed out at the open house. I would love to have floor plans available for any house I saw, it would help me evaluate it much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!
My wife and I are in contract to build with Dominion Homes in central Ohio...we're very excited about it. There aren't a lot of builders in our area, its either one of the small custom builders, usually built out in the country, Dominion Homes, Rockford Homes or Maronda Homes. There aren't very many 4 bedrooms in our area for sale, usually they are either really small or really expensive, building new was the way to go.

We'll be moving in late March/April from our 2 bedroom 1 bath house with no garage and no basement to the new place, which is almost 2200 sqft, 2.5 baths, 2 car garage, basement and on a lot that is over 3x larger than our current one. We have three kids and needless to say are very happy to have the space and the bathrooms.

Floorplan is below, first floor on left, 2nd on right...the two floors are not to scale. There are a couple of arches on the first floor, which I love and external corners are rounded, which I hope are durable. Kateland is the sitting room/office where no children will be permitted :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ntd fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 10, 2012