Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
Somebody take my sorceress buddy out on adventures while I go on vacation!

PSN ID: SombereroLad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeyMrDeadMan
Mar 10, 2007

is a swell guy
Holy poo poo, the main menu music is almost worth $60 by itself.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Awesome game. My gamertag is Capn V. On the 360.

Check out my man Pierce, he loves finding random poo poo and casts nice lightning enhancements. We're level 11.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

HeyMrDeadMan posted:

Holy poo poo, the main menu music is almost worth $60 by itself.
I think I've said this before but that band, B'z, is Japan's number one rock band for like the last 20 years or something, they are one of the best-selling rock bands in the world just based on their sales in Japan. I have no idea how much Capcom paid for that, but I guess they considered it essential for what would otherwise be a very non-Japan-oriented game to sell well there. Maybe it worked.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
I still hope that a hypothetical Dragon's Dogma 2 takes the jrock thing and just runs with it. I want a medieval action populated by nothing but people who just stepped out of a visual kei video and with music to match.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
To all those who want to tackle Reynard's quest.

You need to buy or sell large quantities of items off him. Don't bother buying out his stock. You can just buy all his curatives, exit and then sell it back to him to trigger his quest.

After selling back to him, his stock is replenished and then you can buy / resell again for a quick quest popup. It took me less than 10 buy and resells to get up to the final submission of his Dad's journals.

Honestly, the hard part
Is locating that wandering motherfucker.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

hamburgers in pockets posted:

I still hope that a hypothetical Dragon's Dogma 2 takes the jrock thing and just runs with it. I want a medieval action populated by nothing but people who just stepped out of a visual kei video and with music to match.
That kind of goes against the idea they clearly had though, that this was a project catering directly to the western markets. I mean, I'd love it too, but even as is it didn't sell very well over here. I bet they will blame that on being still too Japanese.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I hope there is a Dragon's Dogma 2 with co-op. :colbert:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I think I'm going to cave in and buy this tomorrow for the GameStop "sale" despite my better judgment.

For someone who has both a PS3 and 360, which version would be the better buy? From what I have been hearing, the 360 runs at a more stable framerate at the expense of screen tearing, but the PS3 version has a larger online community.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MechaX posted:

I think I'm going to cave in and buy this tomorrow for the GameStop "sale" despite my better judgment.

For someone who has both a PS3 and 360, which version would be the better buy? From what I have been hearing, the 360 runs at a more stable framerate at the expense of screen tearing, but the PS3 version has a larger online community.
Other than with a ruinous sigil and multiple magic cannons running I've never had any kind of frame rate problem on the PS3. The only performance issue is how long it takes to save the game, I think.

edit: what's the armor that comes with the latest DLC like? And are the color variations normal colors or silly colors?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 4, 2012

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Getting closer to an Anodyne field while other spell effects are happening can result in some slowdown. If anything, the gameplay is excellent but now the PS3's graphics look incredibly dated compared to when I was playing to more recent PC games.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: what's the armor that comes with the latest DLC like? And are the color variations normal colors or silly colors?

Normal variations? I'm guessing it's silly colors because the default colors cover most of the normal spectrum.

Pictures of the armor were posted when the DLC was released on the 360, they all have particle effects tied to their torso bits (fancy!), and I think 1 or 2 of them was unique, but for the most part they're variations of existing armor. One of them is the hood that looks like a Wight, only usable by warriors and poo poo.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Good DLC: self-contained new areas with new gear and enemies.
Bad DLC: anything else.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Seashell Salesman posted:

Good DLC: self-contained new areas with new gear and enemies.
Bad DLC: anything else.
I'd be happy with just new enemies, or even new stronger variants of enemies. Or hell, DLC that just rearranges or even makes enemy placements random. Anything to make NG+ less predictable.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I played with Odessa for a bit and someone else's until I changed her into silk lingerie. Whoops! I changed my guy back to sorcerer do I had to rejigger the group anyways!

Also gently caress cockatrices!

In NG+, do you have to continue on as what you were previously?

Edit: Dragon time. :ohdear:

der juicen fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 4, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
On the PS3 anyway, the game just updated to 1.2. I'm reading 2ch to try to figure out what it did.

edit: they say it introduced some bugs but no one knows anything other than that. One person said "something amazing happened to the everfall" but didn't elaborate.

edit: also interestingly they're in the middle of a conversation about the standard JRPG trope of becoming God and how incompatible it is with Christianity, and therefore the West, and that Capcom is ignorant for trying to market a game to the West without realizing that. It's all just talk from the peanut gallery though, same as this forum.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 4, 2012

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'd be happy with just new enemies, or even new stronger variants of enemies. Or hell, DLC that just rearranges or even makes enemy placements random. Anything to make NG+ less predictable.

Capcom is just very happy they are making money off something atm. After driving several franchises into the ground this year anything that turns any kind of profit will be milked into the ground. So I'd say expect more of these baby DLCs in the near future.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

der juicen posted:

I hope there is a Dragon's Dogma 2 with co-op. :colbert:

As much as I would love to see co-op in the future of a game like this, it's hard to picture how it would work if it stayed as open world as it is... There would really be nothing stopping one of your friends from jumping in and just running off into the middle of nowhere while you do something else entirely. I guess what I mean is co-op would be cool as long as the pawn system still stays in play on some level so you'll be guaranteed one constant companion.

Maybe make it so in co-op it's just you, your co-op partner and both of your main pawns? That would be a pretty good balance. Although then there might be fighting over who gets the loot... I never really though about it much but there are a ton of tiny things that would make co-op dogma really hectic if you weren't playing with a friend. :psyduck:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

How do you beat Salomet? I'm a magic archer and I'm doing zero damage to him. His HP was going down when I fought him, but I had no idea how.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Overlord K posted:

As much as I would love to see co-op in the future of a game like this, it's hard to picture how it would work if it stayed as open world as it is... There would really be nothing stopping one of your friends from jumping in and just running off into the middle of nowhere while you do something else entirely. I guess what I mean is co-op would be cool as long as the pawn system still stays in play on some level so you'll be guaranteed one constant companion.

Maybe make it so in co-op it's just you, your co-op partner and both of your main pawns? That would be a pretty good balance. Although then there might be fighting over who gets the loot... I never really though about it much but there are a ton of tiny things that would make co-op dogma really hectic if you weren't playing with a friend. :psyduck:

I like your idea, they could go the diablo 3 route and just double the loot and only make it lootable by your character. That way there is no loot shortage no fighting or drops and you can just enjoy the game. If I got a sick rear end caster item and I am a strider I could just pass it along to whoever I am co-oping with.

Another way to do jolly co-operation would be as your main pawn. This way you are anchored to their arisen person, (capcom would have to set an anchor on the pawn though so you don't go super far away like how pioneer works now would be perfect). Also if someone is doing co-op they could increase the difficulty of the mobs double the hp and maybe make them more aggressive. They couldn't just have co-op without trying to tweak it some, otherwise poo poo would get boring.

Seashell Salesman posted:

They mustn't be very familiar with WRPGs then because one of the most lauded series ever is 100% about becoming a god.

Elder Scrolls?

Seemenaked fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 4, 2012

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

On the PS3 anyway, the game just updated to 1.2. I'm reading 2ch to try to figure out what it did.

edit: they say it introduced some bugs but no one knows anything other than that. One person said "something amazing happened to the everfall" but didn't elaborate.

edit: also interestingly they're in the middle of a conversation about the standard JRPG trope of becoming God and how incompatible it is with Christianity, and therefore the West, and that Capcom is ignorant for trying to market a game to the West without realizing that. It's all just talk from the peanut gallery though, same as this forum.

They mustn't be very familiar with WRPGs then because one of the most lauded series ever is 100% about becoming a god.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Lyer posted:

How do you beat Salomet? I'm a magic archer and I'm doing zero damage to him. His HP was going down when I fought him, but I had no idea how.
Just keep hitting him and he'll die. The initial encounter with him makes him stay alive for a little while even if it looks like he's got no health. It's just one of those things, I guess.
If you're at the Tower, I guess he's just got high magic resistance, but hitting him should still work, regardless.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Seemenaked posted:

Elder Scrolls?

Haha. I meant Baldur's Gate. Maybe would have been clearer if I said the most lauded?

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

No more fooling around. Time to bring the big guns. We've got:

Eclair the Sorceror (GT: MiloXXI)
Likes - Overkill with extreme prejudice, mushrooms. Dislikes - Succubi.

Ser Gabriel the Warrior (GT: illgarrett)
Likes - Fighting the good fight, wrestling. Dislikes - Dragon flame.

Methuselah the Mage (GT: Raf the Ripper)
Likes - Lightning spells, healing. Dislikes - Falling from great heights.

The party is loaded for bear. It's midnight when we set out to the Greatwall to finally get this thing over with. Skeletal undead harry us on our way, but with flame and holy magick, we're not at a disadvantage. A cyclops bars our way, momentarily.

Wanting to make the most of our trip, we go out of our way to slay a chimera in the valley. While Ser Gabriel and I are busy mincing the thing under our blades, Eclair casts a firewall the extends from stem to stern, killing it immediately. We scoop up the still-warm pelts and make our way up the mountain pass.

The next cyclops in our journey is set upon by Ser Gabriel. Lightning stuns the beast and brings it to the ground. Bravely, I decide to scale it and strike its vulnerable back. Eclair has another idea.

I'm immediately engulfed in black winds. Eclair isn't quite done yet, and sets the cyclops ablaze before even the maelstrom is done. Despite everyone playing fast and loose with the edge of the pass, none fall. We collect the eroded armor pieces for recycling. This may be our fastest trip to the Greatwall in recent memory.

Another chimera, another flaming carcass. Eclair has no pity or remorse. I fear for the dragon, should she continue in this way.

The Greatwall looks a lot less intimidating by daylight, and without skeletons barring the way. We pass through most of it, until I realize that we're still carrying all those heavy pelts, bones and irons with us. Hurriedly, we double back and ensure that we're not carrying any dead weight.

Once within the confines of the Tainted Mountain, Geo Saurians leap out at us in ambush. Our blades aflame, Ser Gabriel takes one to the ground for me to kill. Eclair runs past us as we go. There is only one thing that can possibly result. I distance myself so that I'm not blinded by the black winds.

Eclair is clearly stealing the show. But a dead lizard speaks for her capabilities.

We are next beset by succubi. In these tight, high quarters, I have a great deal of trouble targeting them for an arrow barrage. Eclair warns us to ignore their pretty faces, for their talons cut deeply. It's a messy engagement, and we're starting to wear some light wounds.

More Geo Saurians leap out at us. We crush them one by one. While near the opening of the cave, Methuselah warns me that to fall is fatal, which encourages me to look down. A chest is just out of reach, and I loot it for a Golden Belt, befitting any great wrestlemaniac. I keep it, despite being deathly curious how Ser Gabriel would look wearing it.

As soon as we get out into the open succubus aerie, we're being bitten in our necks while hellhounds snap at our heels. Eclair is the first to be bitten, but she's tougher than she looks. Methuselah is being constantly harassed, but still maintains his healing auras. Ser Gabriel fights like a tiger, slaying many a hellhound before taking a succubus by the scruff of its neck.

Taking too long to walk the adjoining halls, a gorechimera strikes at us well before we arrive in its open domain. Ser Gabriel runs past it and lures it back out into the open before it can make use of the cramped quarters. Once it's busied, Eclair busts out this enormous branching pillar of ice that impales the gorechimera and ends the battle within half a minute.

We enter the domain of the dragon.

I make no concessions for hostage-takers.

Dragons make no concessions for mere mortals, either. Ser Gabriel, by this point, is so laden with loot and curatives that he does not survive our flight from the dragon. I remember running past him, and then the flames consuming him. Methuselah and Eclair are much less burdened, and so they manage to keep pace.

The next thing is pretty much a blur...

...and we wake up in a world of poo poo.

We end our journey as we always do by stashing our belongings and killing time at the fountain. Only the fountain's gone, and has been replaced by a yawning abyss. Methuselah ponders the future. Eclair wonders at the possibility of such destruction. Ser Gabriel looks the other way. It's just one of those days.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

I never played any of the older ones I jumped into the baldur's gate series when it got ported to the ps2 and those were awesome dungeon crawly multiplayer action games I thought. You know one thing I noticed about DD is that after level 10 it's not that scary. I wish it could retain that sorta everything can kill me difficulty. I really thought I was playing akin to dark souls at first. Now I can literally one shot 90% of the poo poo I come across. Yeah dark souls got kinda easy after awhile but you still had to sit on that shield key just so you didn't get chained to death. I like that feeling that even the tiniest bad guy can kick your rear end if you are not on the ball makes every move you make more calculated and thought out.

Cyclops nipple twisting ahoy!

Seemenaked fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 4, 2012

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Seemenaked posted:

I never played any of the older ones I jumped into the baldur's gate series when it got ported to the ps2 and those were awesome dungeon crawly multiplayer action games I thought.

The console Baldur's Gate games have nothing to do with the PC ones. They were only called that because Activision only had the rights to BG and not D&D games as a whole.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

Emong posted:

The console Baldur's Gate games have nothing to do with the PC ones. They were only called that because Activision only had the rights to BG and not D&D games as a whole.

I think I remember hearing baldur's gate 2 being one of the hardest if not the hardest rpg of all time. I would argue though that wizard 3 the text based rpg was a motherfucker. I could never get past the drat part where you hear a wolf howling in the distance.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think it's totally awesome that I can look at all those screenshots and immediately recognize where they were taken based on some landmark or environmental flourish in the background. I could never do that in, say, Skyrim. The size and design of the world in this game is near-perfect.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just used the sacrifice arrow magic archer ability. I don't use emoticons very often but :stare:

edit: one good WRPG I know if is about becoming a god but that's seriously the endgame scenario of 90% of JRPGs ever, as far as I am concerned that's a strong, strong indicator of JRPG-ness. Usually it's the enemy though, and it's your job to kill it. I'd love to see a JRPG someday where the final boss is, I dunno, just a king or an emperor or something.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 4, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just used the sacrifice arrow magic archer ability. I don't use emoticons very often but :stare:

edit: one good WRPG I know if is about becoming a god but that's seriously the endgame scenario of 90% of JRPGs ever, as far as I am concerned that's a strong, strong indicator of JRPG-ness. Usually it's the enemy though, and it's your job to kill it. I'd love to see a JRPG someday where the final boss is, I dunno, just a king or an emperor or something.

This is what Suikoden did so well, but that series is dead now, so :suicide:

Though the thought of a Dragon's Dogma-esque game that's more about political strife and recruiting an army, featuring siege warfare and faction alliances - that would basically be my dream game.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do you think there is an actual reason for the trend, or that it's just a convention born of videogames copying each other?

e: Now that I'm thinking about it, the one thing that I really disliked about DD was the ending and how your initial concerns (the fate of Gransys, the duke, Gran Soren) are just forgotten about in the end. Are we meant to assume our pawn goes and kills the duke? Does the Everfall close up? Did we permanently end the Dragon cycles by killing ourself?

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 4, 2012

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Well no one answered my question. :colbert: I demand attention! Just kidding...

but...

...do you still get the Achievement for going through the game twice if you just restart fresh? I had New Game+ is lovely and if I can still get the Achievo, I'll just start again all fresh-like. Of course, I'll still keep the same file so Honey Dew doesn't disappear into the ether.

Also it seems I got a sweet Archstave? for beating mister Gerlado. Which means if I start over new, I can give it away to someones pawn I think!

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Huszsersvn posted:

more :words: of fine adventure and heroism!

Hoooooly poo poo, did you finish the game with my dude or something? Don't spoiler me though, I still haven't got that far. Man, I'm pleased someone else is loving the screenshot function and posting their cool stories.

I'm even more pleased that multiple people are finding my pawn worthy, I'll strive to better him for you all, thanks a bunch. I'm going through the thread collecting any GTs of people who want their pawns used and systematically trying to go through them all haha, so if anyone wants their pawn used post or PM me.

Thanks for the sick adventures Huszsersvn, I'm about to hop on DD after a day or two's hiatus and Methuselah's my new go to mage so I'm gonna update him ASAP.

Seemenaked posted:

Cyclops nipple twisting ahoy!

Haha, I love this! Glad you're enjoying ole Gabe!

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it's totally awesome that I can look at all those screenshots and immediately recognize where they were taken based on some landmark or environmental flourish in the background. I could never do that in, say, Skyrim. The size and design of the world in this game is near-perfect.

Totally agree. I've put 40 hours in so far. I literally haven't even explored a quarter of the game world fully, I've just been running around and doing cool poo poo and slaying mad stuff with my crew of bros that I swap out. I love the pawn system and their chatter, it's often repeated but it makes poo poo feel organic. The pawn system is vaguely believable for a fantasy world, and I imagine all these empty, emotionless warriors hanging out in the rift, hoping to get picked, to end the monotony and be near an Arisen and feel more human, and that my Arisen has this crew of bros that he hires regularly when he needs different things, like specialists :3:

der juicen posted:

I love taking pictures but I hate how it's like pulling loving teeth to get them posted.

Here is my one picture of us heading to the dragon.

The guy in the background is the awesome Mage guy with the cool face thing. The other pawn is Duke Chin's Assassin.

I've found once you get it sorted, the easiest way to do it is just to upload them over time to your Facebook account, then middle-mouse click them all on FB to open them in new tabs. Then go through, saving the image to a DD folder and closing the tabs one after the other, then I go to imgur or something and host them all at once, then I write up my nerdbro stories for all my other online nerdbros :)

If anyone thinks Ser Gabriel looks like a nice chap to have along in a hairy situation, feel free to use him, if you can't afford him, add IllGarrett as a friend, that way I'll know to give your pawn a hire and a test run as well :)

Glad to hear you all like him though, keep the reports coming in, and if anyone has any suggestions on skill choices for either warrior or fighter they think would work well on Ser Gabriel (I'm pretty happy with his augments, to be honest, but still experimenting with good skills), do let me know and I'll try them. How are his current skills working out for people?

Happy questing, fellow Dangans. :black101:

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 4, 2012

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I love taking pictures but I hate how it's like pulling loving teeth to get them posted.

Here is my one picture of us heading to the dragon.

The guy in the background is the awesome Mage guy with the cool face thing. The other pawn is Duke Chin's Assassin.

der juicen fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 4, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
So, I've maxed out my Fighter's vocation after spending a lot of time away from this game and I'm not sure where to 'vocate' into next.

As a Magic Knight do I have to use those ridiculous looking tower shields?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

So, I've maxed out my Fighter's vocation after spending a lot of time away from this game and I'm not sure where to 'vocate' into next.

As a Magic Knight do I have to use those ridiculous looking tower shields?

Yeah, you do. Mystic knight has some really fun skills, though. Alternatively, as a warrior you can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I_hdPFdWEs

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 4, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not terribly interested in Warrior-ing.

Hmmm, I remember some people recommending going into Mage or Sorceror instead of switching cleanly to a Mystic Knight, is that still the case?

I might just go Assassin.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Dan Didio posted:

I'm not terribly interested in Warrior-ing.

Hmmm, I remember some people recommending going into Mage or Sorceror instead of switching cleanly to a Mystic Knight, is that still the case?

I might just go Assassin.

Sorcerer is is slow burn, but nce you get to vocation 6 or 7 and get the Meteor skill, it all is worth it. Then you get Glicel, Maelstrom, and now there is Seisam and ugh I wish I had more points. Mystic Knight is fun, I just wish my left hand worked. :( Your guy looks badass to boot and he's magic. I guess if you want to go Knight, you need to go Mage to get a couple of his spells just in case.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

der juicen posted:

I just wish my left hand worked. :(

How have you been holding up with your hand, I kind of cringed when I saw people recommending this to you a while ago, but at the time I hadn't played in a while so I think I was misremembering the importance of the left triggers. Admittedly, I've exclusively played Fighter so I need the left trigger for most of my defensive movelist, which are pretty integral.

I think the real stickler for changing vocations is that I'm not really sure how my thirty levels in Fighter will transfer over to different vocations skillwise and statwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Man I really hosed up. I saved before handing in the Wakestones for the final ending and then went ahead to do it just to see the ending again. Now both that save and the autosave take me to after I handed them in but before I jumped. Now I can't fight Ur-Dragon or finish up the Everfall. Guess this is the excuse I need to go through again with a new class.

• Locked thread