Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Monopthalmus posted:

Serious Sam: The First Encounter without a doubt.
This, for sure. Holds up very well for an 11-year-old game, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Cerepol posted:

Anyone recommend a FPS where you just mow down things non-stop like? Preferably with guns that feel awesome. Shotgun not mandatory if there's a bolt action rifle of some sort.

I'm in a kill all the things sort of mood for some reason.

Maybe check out Bulletstorm, too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cerepol posted:

Anyone recommend a FPS where you just mow down things non-stop like? Preferably with guns that feel awesome. Shotgun not mandatory if there's a bolt action rifle of some sort.

Are you a fan of Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM 1/2? If so, you could try Nazis! The first few levels are a bit sparse, but it quickly gets pretty crazy. They'll sometimes throw a dozen+ armored super nazis at you at once AND MechaHitler to top things off. Its pretty drat awesome IMO. Its pretty much an unofficial Wolfenstein 3d sequel. Best part is its free since the game is using an opensource version of the Doom 2 engine, a custom map pack, and original textures/sprites.

You can grab everything you need to play it in a self-extracting zip here. However you'll have to setup keybinds in the game menus after unziping it. Also its recommended to replace their clone Doom2.wad with the original Doom2.wad if you have it.

Here is a gameplay video (starts a bit slow).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tLw_c2VdPs

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Cerepol posted:

Check out Painkiller as well. Don't bother with all the horrendous sequels/expansion packs, just get the Black Edition. As a matter of fact it's half price on Gamersgate right now: http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-PKBLACK/painkiller-black-edition It's also on Steam and GOG if you prefer those sites.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

What are some shooting games that have good damage/gore physics which allow you to tear enemies apart with guns? I really like Soldier of Fortune II because of that (I've never had more fun with a shotgun in a game) and I'm looking for more games with that kind of realistic damage. Binary Domain is another good example. I could spend hours blasting apart robots in that game.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

MrSmokes posted:

What are some shooting games that have good damage/gore physics which allow you to tear enemies apart with guns? I really like Soldier of Fortune II because of that (I've never had more fun with a shotgun in a game) and I'm looking for more games with that kind of realistic damage. Binary Domain is another good example. I could spend hours blasting apart robots in that game.
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway has a lot of graphic deaths when getting headshots, using turrets and explosives.

There's also Fallout 3 & NV and Dead Space 1 & 2.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Fallout 3 and especially NV definitely have the best such physics I've seen.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any other more user friendly alternatives to Dwarf Fortress besides Goblin Camp? Development on the latter seems to have stopped.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You could check out the Gnomoria thread.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Chinook posted:

Maybe check out Bulletstorm, too.

Double this. Bought it for cheap on steam awhile back as just a quick something to do but totally fell in love with how stupid it is. Really enjoyed the point system and trick shots they set you up for throughout the game. Thought it'd be dumb as dirt but was surprised by how often it genuinely made me laugh either through the AI reacting to my shots or the creative stringing along of the words 'gently caress, poo poo, Balls & Puckered rear end in a top hat'

Oh and Waggleton P. Tallylicker.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

MrSmokes posted:

It's a bit of an obscure choice but if you have a PS2 or an Xbox I'd recommend a game called Cold Winter. It's a pretty obscure title that didn't get much attention but it's a great game that's extremely violent. You can easily dismember bodies to the point where only a torso is left. You could also try The Punisher as well for PS2, Xbox and PC.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you a fan of Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM 1/2? If so, you could try Nazis! The first few levels are a bit sparse, but it quickly gets pretty crazy. They'll sometimes throw a dozen+ armored super nazis at you at once AND MechaHitler to top things off. Its pretty drat awesome IMO. Its pretty much an unofficial Wolfenstein 3d sequel. Best part is its free since the game is using an opensource version of the Doom 2 engine, a custom map pack, and original textures/sprites.

You can grab everything you need to play it in a self-extracting zip here. However you'll have to setup keybinds in the game menus after unziping it. Also its recommended to replace their clone Doom2.wad with the original Doom2.wad if you have it.

Here is a gameplay video (starts a bit slow).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tLw_c2VdPs
From the video, that's a pretty amazing Doom 2 TC, very well done.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I recently got ahold of a PS2, so does anyone have recommendations for must-play single-player PS2 games? I've played a lot of PC games over the past 15 years, but practically no console games, so I'm really looking for PS2 exclusives or a least things that don't have a good PC equivalent. Any genre is fine, but I suck at fighting / brawling games. I have played some Sqaure/Enix RPGs, and I'll get around to playing Persona 3/4, but that's not what I'm looking for right now. Finally, I don't want to spend a lot of time or money chasing them down. No special controllers or add-ons unless they are also cheap and easy to find.

Basically I'm looking for some AAA games that everybody had which still hold up well and I can pick up used for cheap. Bonus if it plays well in emulation.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Does anyone know of a Bomberman clone/sequel on the PC with multiplayer and an actually active community?

r4xz0r
Jul 4, 2012
If you are into adventure games with an emphasis on figuring things out, one of my favorites from my Playstation 2 days was a little sleeper hit gem called "ICO" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkcPkcAsKNI. It had impressive visuals for its time and a haunting ambient soundtrack/atmosphere throughout the entire game.

If you enjoy it, there is another game by the same dev team titled "Shadow of the Colossus" which is considered to be the successor to "ICO".

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baby Proof posted:

I recently got ahold of a PS2, so does anyone have recommendations for must-play single-player PS2 games? I've played a lot of PC games over the past 15 years, but practically no console games, so I'm really looking for PS2 exclusives or a least things that don't have a good PC equivalent. Any genre is fine, but I suck at fighting / brawling games. I have played some Sqaure/Enix RPGs, and I'll get around to playing Persona 3/4, but that's not what I'm looking for right now. Finally, I don't want to spend a lot of time or money chasing them down. No special controllers or add-ons unless they are also cheap and easy to find.

Basically I'm looking for some AAA games that everybody had which still hold up well and I can pick up used for cheap. Bonus if it plays well in emulation.
Shadow of the Colossus.

efb~

Also Okami if you don't have a Wii.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Monopthalmus posted:

I played L.A. Noire, and while I think the game is kinda poo poo on the whole and a mediocre, tacked together tech demo, I love the atmosphere. What are some other noir adventure games? I remember seeing similar stuff in PC Gamer when I was a kid but they looked dumb and for old people, but now I am old an dumb and I want to play them. Doesn't have to be 1940s LA, just any kind of noir/neo-noir detective poo poo. The main thing I would like is a long, cohesive story where everything is part of one big case or something, not the episodic stuff in LA Noire.

I think the Tex Murphy series was popular? Is that what I'm looking for? Are they any good? What else?
  • Blade Runner
  • Gemini Rue
  • Heavy Rain
  • Hotel Dusk
  • Indigo Prophecy
  • Last Window

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

less laughter posted:

• Indigo Prophecy

I'll give a very strong second to Indigo Prophecy... even though the writers appear to have had a stroke or something about 2/3 of the way through.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Can some recommend a modern (flashy graphics basically), turn-based (because I'm to old to play RTSes), space empire building game (as I'm a megalomaniac).

TIA

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

joshtothemaxx posted:

I'll give a very strong second to Indigo Prophecy... even though the writers appear to have had a stroke or something about 2/3 of the way through.
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy is great. The writer ran out of meds before the ending though (it's up to you if this makes the game more or less awesome).

notaspy posted:

Can some recommend a modern (flashy graphics basically), turn-based (because I'm to old to play RTSes), space empire building game (as I'm a megalomaniac).
Sword of the Stars 1. SOTS 2 is poo poo though.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 4, 2012

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

GloomMouse posted:

So, I really like Exile 3: Ruined World, and I'm looking for a game that's like it, but different. I'd like to find something that's not trying to be a Roguelike Perma-death HARDCORE game that requires a three week study course and constant wiki referencing if at all possible.

Have you tried out any of the other Spiderweb Software games? I find Exile 3 to be easily the best of the trilogy, but all three are great fun. Additionally, the Avernum series is basically a straight up remake of Exile, though there are three more games, for a total of six.

One important note: the newer iterations, as well as Geneforge and Avadon, all have dialogue trees, instead of requiring you to remember words to ask various NPCs to progress through quests. This makes the newer games easier to come back to if you forget something or stop playing for a while. It does remove the fun of getting to know the world and asking everyone in town about something to find just the right NPC, though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

joshtothemaxx posted:

Small caveat: it might be called Fahrenheit in your country, depending on where you're at. And Josh is right, it's pretty goofy toward the end, but up until then, one of the most involving games I had played.

edit: should have f5'ed. someone already made the fahrenheit comment :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Remember back when Borderlands first came out and a bunch of us took to loving around with the save editor to make ridiculous custom guns? I'm itchin for a game where that's a big part of the actual gameplay. I've already played Parasite Eve and Resonance of Fate. Looking for something more actiony anyway.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

notaspy posted:

TIA

In addition to Sword of the Stars 1, check out indie title Endless Space. There's a thread on the forums about it too. It's really really good.

I'm looking for a third/first person shooter (doesn't matter) that isn't too involved, basically just something to play when I feel like it to practice my aim. Preferably with bots though quick online matchmaking would do too.

Small file preferable, I know I saw quite a few open source ones but don't really know which are good or not.

I have UT2004 but it's gotten kinda old at this point.

edit: found what I was looking for, http://www.redeclipse.net/

Daynab fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 6, 2012

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Oblivion590 posted:

Have you tried out any of the other Spiderweb Software games? I find Exile 3 to be easily the best of the trilogy, but all three are great fun. Additionally, the Avernum series is basically a straight up remake of Exile, though there are three more games, for a total of six.

One important note: the newer iterations, as well as Geneforge and Avadon, all have dialogue trees, instead of requiring you to remember words to ask various NPCs to progress through quests. This makes the newer games easier to come back to if you forget something or stop playing for a while. It does remove the fun of getting to know the world and asking everyone in town about something to find just the right NPC, though.

I've played the Exile trilogy. Playing through them again, just with a new engine and renamed Avernum, doesn't really interest me. I'm not sure what the second Avernum Trilogy is all about though, more Exile Avernite tomfoolery? I tried the demo of Avadon: The Black Fortress and was a little interested, but then I heard that the game railroads you a lot, and doesn't have that huge Exile adventure world/feel (and only one party member? pffft whatever). Is Geneforge any good? I wish they kept the top-down style rather than this isometric nonsense.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm looking for a game with in depth food mechanics, like if you don't find food you die kind of thing.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

massive spider posted:

I'm looking for a game with in depth food mechanics, like if you don't find food you die kind of thing.

If you're okay with roguelikes, that's pretty much all of them. If you're looking for survival-based games, the common recommendations around here are UnReal World, Stranded 2, and Robinson's Requiem.

Avernum 6 has a food requirement in it, as well, but food is easy enough to get, and I am fairly sure you won't completely die without it, just become weak.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Chinook posted:

If you're looking for survival-based games, the common recommendations around here are UnReal World, Stranded 2, and Robinson's Requiem.

It just kills me that after how many years these are still the only options. With the popularity of survival shows and books and all of the indie developers out there now making mad bank you'd think somebody would have developed something similar with more accessible graphics and interface.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Zoe posted:

It just kills me that after how many years these are still the only options. With the popularity of survival shows and books and all of the indie developers out there now making mad bank you'd think somebody would have developed something similar with more accessible graphics and interface.

I pretty much had the same thought. It seems like every page or two someone comes in asking for something which doesn't really exist in modern PC gaming. I have a feeling someone could make a killing.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Are there any good recent games with a bit of focus on talky bullshit (ala Dragon Age, Mass Effect, SWKOTOR)?

I just marathoned DA:2 and I'm in the mood for more in the same vein if it exists.

Same vein being modern looking and talking to dudes in between mowing down legions of baddies and occasionally feeling like you contributed to the storyline with your choices.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Sinking Ship posted:

Are there any good recent games with a bit of focus on talky bullshit (ala Dragon Age, Mass Effect, SWKOTOR)?

I just marathoned DA:2 and I'm in the mood for more in the same vein if it exists.

Same vein being modern looking and talking to dudes in between mowing down legions of baddies and occasionally feeling like you contributed to the storyline with your choices.

Fallout New Vegas is good for that. And Alpha Protocol.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Chinook posted:

If you're okay with roguelikes, that's pretty much all of them. If you're looking for survival-based games, the common recommendations around here are UnReal World, Stranded 2, and Robinson's Requiem.

Avernum 6 has a food requirement in it, as well, but food is easy enough to get, and I am fairly sure you won't completely die without it, just become weak.

Most of your posts in here should consist of "<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sinking Ship posted:

Alpha Protocol is the best game for talky bullshit.

The combat isn't fantastic, but if you want reactive, varied dialog then you won't find anything better.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Sinking Ship posted:

The Last Story.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Does anyone know a fun PC game where you build and manage some kind of base (preferably in a somewhat free sandboxy world) where you get to mess with the NPCs that live there?

Because I always enjoy messing around with the autistic villagers in Minecraft and building a nice place for them to live in, but it's getting kinda boring since they're pretty dumb and not very interactive.

It doesn't matter if it's a really old PC game since I can always DOSBox it. It would be nice if the game is a bit complex, although it needs to be easier to get into than Dwarf Fortress.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

a 16 year old girl posted:

Does anyone know a fun PC game where you build and manage some kind of base (preferably in a somewhat free sandboxy world) where you get to mess with the NPCs that live there?

Because I always enjoy messing around with the autistic villagers in Minecraft and building a nice place for them to live in, but it's getting kinda boring since they're pretty dumb and not very interactive.

It doesn't matter if it's a really old PC game since I can always DOSBox it. It would be nice if the game is a bit complex, although it needs to be easier to get into than Dwarf Fortress.

There's a lot of Minecraft mods that do pretty cool stuff. Millenaire makes villages a lot more interactive for instance. My advice is to find a bigass modpack with Millenaire in it and go nuts.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'd recommend Black and White except its not very good.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

The Sims.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Tropico 3 or 4 perhaps? You build a society wherein every citizen has a name and a bio. You rule your island the way you want. A good example of messing with your inhabitants is when your workers start getting smarter, demanding higher wages, you simply start assassinating the teachers.

You can play as real life dictators as well. You can make your citizens love you or fear you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

GloomMouse posted:

I've played the Exile trilogy. Playing through them again, just with a new engine and renamed Avernum, doesn't really interest me. I'm not sure what the second Avernum Trilogy is all about though, more Exile Avernite tomfoolery? I tried the demo of Avadon: The Black Fortress and was a little interested, but then I heard that the game railroads you a lot, and doesn't have that huge Exile adventure world/feel (and only one party member? pffft whatever). Is Geneforge any good? I wish they kept the top-down style rather than this isometric nonsense.

To be honest, I haven't tried the second Avernum trilogy myself. I tried out Avernum 3 at one point and decided that I didn't like the engine as much, so I haven't played any of Avernum past that. Both Geneforge and Avadon set the player's role as one character, rather than the entire party. In Avadon, you get to take along 2 of the 4 character classes as allies; in Geneforge, you can summon monsters with your essence pool, so there are more options in party composition than in Avadon, but less interesting customization than in Exile. You might want to try out one of the demos to see for yourself. I found both Avadon and the first Geneforge to be entertaining for a while, but not for long enough to finish either one.