Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I wonder what Eglamore is about to go on about? He was the first adult character in the comic, and he left a good impression with Kat and the readers, but his relationship with Annie has always been kind of tense and strained. I don't think giving her advice she doesn't want to hear will help that any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Maybe this is going to be an Eglamore chapter rather than a Coyote chapter, and the title image was actually of dragon fangs or something.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Maybe this is going to be an Eglamore chapter rather than a Coyote chapter, and the title image was actually of dragon fangs or something.

I hope so. As much as I love Coyote chapters, I miss Eglamore and would like to see him get fleshed out a bit more.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I like when Annie interacts with Eglamore. She really shows her rebellious side, since he's the one authority figure she never really cared about pissing off.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Nooo Siddel don't encourage that annoying joke :cripes:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
He does that on every page that has Eglamore on it. The joke originated from him.

EDIT: As did the "Jones is a robot". I think most of GC's memes started from Tom's comments.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

1stGear posted:

He does that on every page that has Eglamore on it. The joke originated from him.

EDIT: As did the "Jones is a robot". I think most of GC's memes started from Tom's comments.

I know but come on GC fans have run those jokes into the ground so hard they're basically little bloodied nubs.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Is the site down for anybody else? I want to read today's comic :(

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

fritz posted:

Is the site down for anybody else? I want to read today's comic :(

It seems to be down for me as well.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It was for me earlier but it seems to be up again. The secrets of the Court are no longer closed off from me!

Whatever they are.

And hey! It's that guy again.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pester posted:

I wonder what Eglamore is about to go on about? He was the first adult character in the comic, and he left a good impression with Kat and the readers, but his relationship with Annie has always been kind of tense and strained. I don't think giving her advice she doesn't want to hear will help that any.
I'm expecting a "Look, just remember that you can't always trust the forest creatures..." speech.

Pre-empted about three words in by Annie saying, "Psssh, don't worry old man, I got this!" and skipping off, of course.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I'm thinking maybe something about the last time they crossed the bridge together. You could say things got a little... heated between them.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Oh man. This is one of my favorite pages.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Truly does not give a poo poo. That isn't going to bite her on the rear end eventually, no sir.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
Gillitie Wood, where every day is Casual Day.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Does the big guy have some kind of faint scar/scratch under his left eye in this chapter or is it something about the art I'm not getting?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Esme posted:

Does the big guy have some kind of faint scar/scratch under his left eye in this chapter or is it something about the art I'm not getting?

It was there before when he had the full getup on too, I think it's facepaint.

EDIT: no, wait, it's there when he doesn't have it on either. I think it's just a scar.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It was there before when he had the full getup on too, I think it's facepaint.

EDIT: no, wait, it's there when he doesn't have it on either. I think it's just a scar.

Oh yeah, I never noticed it before but looking back I guess it was there all along. Never mind!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Esme posted:

Oh yeah, I never noticed it before but looking back I guess it was there all along. Never mind!

Just at a glance, it looks like it's been on his character art since Coyote Stories.

To be definite, I'd better go re-read the whole archives. Just in case.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I have a sudden feeling this is going to backfire horribly. :ohdear:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Nettle Soup posted:

I have a sudden feeling this is going to backfire horribly. :ohdear:

Annie's way too at ease with the forest. There's no way this is going to end well.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Just at a glance, it looks like it's been on his character art since Coyote Stories.

To be definite, I'd better go re-read the whole archives. Just in case.

Hahahaha, of course I was already on it. Oh well, I didn't need to sleep tonight anyway. The first instance I found was in Medium Beginning: here. So I guess he got it over summer vacation?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Opposing Farce posted:

Annie's way too at ease with the forest. There's no way this is going to end well.

It feels like she's going to have more problems with the Court than with the Forest.

One can view all of Coyote's actions as steps to get Annie to be more sympathetic towards, if not outright allied to, the Forest in anticipation of her probable role as the next Court Medium.

Annie's actions so far have been more flippant towards the Court, even the kicking off of shoes seems more of a snub towards Elgamore and his ideas of etiquette. She's frequently flaunting the rules and norms of the Court (Skipping detentions, wandering into clearly off limit areas with possessed Jack, constantly copying Kat's homework, stealing a photo of her parent's as children from Kat's parents)

On the other hand, with the exception of Coyote flipping her skirt, her interaction with the Forest has always been shown to be respectful. She looks up Ysengrim and Renardine in wolf form and gives Coyote his due. One could even view her interactions with the Etheric, such as the psychopomps, as further proof of this bent. Even while angry at them, she's never displayed disrespectful behavior.

Finally her only strong ties to the Court and the human world in general are Kat and her father vs the Etheric world, where her very nature ties her closely.

Of course I could be completely off the mark. And in the course of even just this story arc, my entire theory becomes as essenceless as Surma was at the time of her death.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 4, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Annie posted:

I'm not the medium yet.

And don't forget there are still two other people who could ultimately be chosen for that role.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Penguissimo posted:

And don't forget there are still two other people who could ultimately be chosen for that role.

However, they are two people who have no rapport with the forest whatsoever. Even if the court finds her behaviour rude and disrespectful, Annie's still the most qualified.

It would be fun to see Smitty or Parley chosen over her, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My prediction: Coyote noticed whatever etheric skullduggery Anthony was performing from the Microsat and will be a little Cranky about it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
In my view, Antimony has already failed as a medium.

Because she allowed herself to be put into a position where one side has absolute power over her, with the hand-cutting geas. If Coyote could exert such power over her for that reason, then he can do it for any other reason, and so she loses her position as a neutral party acting independently, to become instead a servant of one side.

The proper response was to immediately make Jones aware of what has happened, and seek advice on making Coyote rescind the spell. Instead she allowed Coyote to probe the limits of what he was allowed to do, allowed herself to be cowed by personal fear of a physical threat, and kept Coyote's breach of protocol a secret.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 4, 2012

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Having the forest actually seem a bit hostile again and not just Annie's psychic playground would be interesting. Despite Jones' talk early on about the court and forest being equally bad, we've only ever really been shown bad things about the court, aside from Ysengrim's hatred of humans and openly attacking Annie, but she even shows Ysengrim more respect than any adults in the court.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
She doesn't have that hand cutting curse on her still though, as far as we know.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

DekeThornton posted:

She doesn't have that hand cutting curse on her still though, as far as we know.

Apparently not now, but it seems likely that Coyote will go further now that he got away with it once.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Fangz posted:

Apparently not now, but it seems likely that Coyote will go further now that he got away with it once.

Well, he's a god. It's kind of hard for Annie to really do anything about it. I'd say it's safe to assume he could have used force against Surma as well to intimidate her, if he had wanted to. That power disparity shouldn't really have any effect on Anne's suitability as a medium, since it's there for whomever else gets choosen as a medium as well. Also, I'm not sure why it would be seen as some form of bereach of protocol. Annie was not in the forest as some official envoy and if she had objected to the binding she was free to return to the court. It was a precaution Cyote, for whatever reason, took in exhange for allowing her to stay in the forest.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Coyote seems powerful enough to mostly just do whatever he wants anyway, especially while in the forest, which is probably part of the reason Eglamore always wears his formal dragon slayer suit when he goes over the bridge, since it also includes some manner of defending himself.

I do see your point though in that Coyote put the bind on her but Annie's doesn't have any hesitation about casually strolling back to the forest.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I knew Annie was going to be kicking off those shoes them moment I saw them on Monday :allears:.

Zerilan posted:

Having the forest actually seem a bit hostile again and not just Annie's psychic playground would be interesting. Despite Jones' talk early on about the court and forest being equally bad, we've only ever really been shown bad things about the court, aside from Ysengrim's hatred of humans and openly attacking Annie, but she even shows Ysengrim more respect than any adults in the court.

Keep in mind that we've seen relatively little of the forest compared to the court, and always with Annie under Coyote's protection. Also, with the (massive) exception of Jeanne, we haven't really seen anything "bad" at the court either. They are mostly just secretive and a bit shady.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Why is Eglamore talking about the court in the third person? I would have though as their Dragon Slayer and PE teacher he would have had some say in these things.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Esme posted:

It is a scar, but he picked it up offscreen sometime between his first few appearances. He doesn't have it the first few chapters he is in, then he does. Which is neat, because it implies there is a lot going on outside the immediate story that we don't know about

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

Thinking of snagging this in the morning unless anyone else has taken it. I'm surprised no-one seems to have jumped on those avatars of Tea, though we might have hit some kind of saturation on GKC avatars :v:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Khadhul posted:

Thinking of snagging this in the morning unless anyone else has taken it. I'm surprised no-one seems to have jumped on those avatars of Tea, though we might have hit some kind of saturation on GKC avatars :v:

By then end of the comic all of SA shall have a Gunnerkrigg avatar.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

It is a scar, but he picked it up offscreen sometime between his first few appearances. He doesn't have it the first few chapters he is in, then he does. Which is neat, because it implies there is a lot going on outside the immediate story that we don't know about

Maybe. I assumed it was just a side-effect of the art getting more detailed. It's noticeably more so between the last time we see him before it shows up and when it does.

Of course, knowing Tom there's always the possibility that later on he'll relate a story about how he got it that summer which will be key to the whole comic's plotline.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Brainamp posted:

By then end of the comic all of SA shall have a Gunnerkrigg avatar.

Speaking of the end of the comic, how far into it do you guys think we're in? Tea-san said he has an ending in mind so it won't go on forever, but he just started on it full-time a few months ago, and presumably he wouldn't have done so unless there was still a ways to go.

I've been following Gunnerkrigg for over seven years now; I wonder if I'll still be reading it in another seven years? A little nuts to think about that notion.

I could quite easily see it going up to chapter 80+ or so, we're two and half years into Annie's studies (assuming she finishes the whole five years) so that could put us at about the halfway point in the comic, too, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Glare Seethe posted:

Speaking of the end of the comic, how far into it do you guys think we're in? Tea-san said he has an ending in mind so it won't go on forever, but he just started on it full-time a few months ago, and presumably he wouldn't have done so unless there was still a ways to go.

I've been following Gunnerkrigg for over seven years now; I wonder if I'll still be reading it in another seven years? A little nuts to think about that notion.

I could quite easily see it going up to chapter 80+ or so, we're two and half years into Annie's studies (assuming she finishes the whole five years) so that could put us at about the halfway point in the comic, too, I suppose.

Just based off plot and pacing, I'd guess we are still fairly early. We know about Jeanne and have a rough understanding of what happened, but we don't have a full one. We also don't know the impact of solving that mystery, and what it will do to the modern court.

In terms of Annie and her growth, we see that she is developing her powers more and more. But she is not demonstrating the sense of responsibility that should go hand in hand with it. Quite the opposite, she is becoming more reckless (see today's page).

Taking these two trends together, I'd expect she will do something to resolve the Jeanne situation without fully understanding the implications. Large modern problems will result, and she will have to take responsibility and resolve it. If I am right, that is still quite a lot of story to happen. I'd say we are still in the first act or so overall.