Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Dan Didio posted:

How have you been holding up with your hand, I kind of cringed when I saw people recommending this to you a while ago, but at the time I hadn't played in a while so I think I was misremembering the importance of the left triggers. Admittedly, I've exclusively played Fighter so I need the left trigger for most of my defensive movelist, which are pretty integral.

I think the real stickler for changing vocations is that I'm not really sure how my thirty levels in Fighter will transfer over to different vocations skillwise and statwise.

Beat the main baddie as a Sorcerer. Ran around as the Mystic Knight for sometime. If i can get the Achievement for playing twice on a new game, I will play some Assassin or Srt=ider 'cause Daggers are cool. I want to work my way to Warrior though, so I guess Assassin=Fighter-Warrior!

I wish I could be a Hunter though. :( Magic Archer was so fun but sorta hard as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pierson posted:

Man I really hosed up. I saved before handing in the Wakestones for the final ending and then went ahead to do it just to see the ending again. Now both that save and the autosave take me to after I handed them in but before I jumped. Now I can't fight Ur-Dragon or finish up the Everfall. Guess this is the excuse I need to go through again with a new class.

So so know about New Game +? You can start killing the Ur Dragon from day 1, and pretty sure you can explore the Everfall as soon as you get to Gran Soren.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

The Lone Badger posted:

So so know about New Game +? You can start killing the Ur Dragon from day 1, and pretty sure you can explore the Everfall as soon as you get to Gran Soren.

I definitely couldn't figure my way into the Everfall in NG+ before the usual time it opens up?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Seashell Salesman posted:

I definitely couldn't figure my way into the Everfall in NG+ before the usual time it opens up?

I could be wrong then :(

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You also have to spend the time to get back to Gran Soren so you can switch your vocation back to what you want it to be, since the beginning bit forces you to pick one of the starting classes, again.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there any reason to take the basic Mage class to max? I've seen some amazing spells fired off by renting pawns but most of them seem to belong to Sorcerer.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
gently caress the Hydra in Everfall. Eat a big dick.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think I'm going to go Ranger. Are bow skills really worthwhile in this game? Also, I've yet to see a longbow - is there a particular merchant that has them?

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Kaddish posted:

I think I'm going to go Ranger. Are bow skills really worthwhile in this game? Also, I've yet to see a longbow - is there a particular merchant that has them?

I found a pretty good long bow but I gave it to a pubbie. I also found some pretty pimp assassin gear, but I don't know any assassins so I sold it for 415k

Edit: Honey Dew is at 44 and climbing. I'm tempted to put her into an Assassin roll or something. Maybe..

der juicen fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 4, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Pierson posted:

Is there any reason to take the basic Mage class to max? I've seen some amazing spells fired off by renting pawns but most of them seem to belong to Sorcerer.

The mage is significantly more suited for a support role, they get access to the better weapon enchantment spells, healing, and status recovery, and better access to debilitation (as opposed to outright damage). The top-tier spell turns a caster into a walking defence buff, which is pretty tasty.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Kaddish posted:

There are no good longbows anywhere, just gotta get lucky and find one. Rangers do insane damage though but are extremely slow.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Someone take Honey Dew out in about 30 minutes if you need a good 40isj Fighter.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Stelas posted:

better weapon enchantment spells
Are those the affinity spells? Because I'm pretty sure Sorcerors still get them.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Whoops, you're right, my bad. Still, I found it very useful to keep a mage around as a pure healer and buffer/debuffer for most of the game.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Hellhounds can gently caress right off, Jesus loving Christ. Get stuck in a hallway of that poo poo and you use all if your pots.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Alright well i've finally come round to the 'gently caress hellhounds' way of thinking after battling a chimera, a black chimera, a lich and a dozen of them in the Everfall. If you replaced every hellhound with a black chimera i'd probably have breezed through it. I've died like two or three times throughout the course of the entire game then used five or six wakestones in that one chamber alone. I couldn't really tell if there were a lot of hellhounds to start with or if they were being summoned. It was the bandit pawn revive waltz all over again. :(

Anyway i'm pretty much guessing that collecting these wakestones will end the game, i managed to stick purely to fighter/warrior/mystic knight for this playthrough. All in all this was really fun. I'm aware that there must be areas/quests i've missed out on so i'm pretty much going to spoil myself and just read up a wiki or something to see what there is for NG+. I'll roll with the strider vocations this time round. Does any of my equipment carry over to +?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm finding this game to be pretty difficult. I'm a Strider, with a main pawn of a Mage and currently using Warrior and Sorcerer secondary pawns. I'm simply dying a little too easily for my tastes. I'm at the point of the game where I was just invited to the Wurm Hunt, just escaped the Everfall (with all my pawns dead behind me), and I haven't done much in the way of side quests. Any hints?

Two questions I have. What is the difference between putting skills on my Mage pawn in primary or secondary? And how am I supposed to use my secondary pawns? Do you play with the through the entire game and level them up? Because they don't really seem to increase in level. Should I keep ditching them and getting new ones closer to level? And what about the RC points that I get? Should I be focusing on buying higher level pawns?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
As far as i'm aware there's no difference between primary and secondary Mage skills, it's just different trigger bindings for when the human player equips them. I've never been a mage so i might be talking out my rear end. Secondary pawns don't level or change, you swap them out as you continue through the game. I played through just hiring new pawns at my level every now and then for free and never encountered much difficulty, it could be an idea to save RC for when you have particular problems with an area and can hire a big beefy pawn to help you out. :)

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Alright well i've finally come round to the 'gently caress hellhounds' way of thinking after battling a chimera, a black chimera, a lich and a dozen of them in the Everfall. If you replaced every hellhound with a black chimera i'd probably have breezed through it. I've died like two or three times throughout the course of the entire game then used five or six wakestones in that one chamber alone. I couldn't really tell if there were a lot of hellhounds to start with or if they were being summoned. It was the bandit pawn revive waltz all over again. :(

Anyway i'm pretty much guessing that collecting these wakestones will end the game, i managed to stick purely to fighter/warrior/mystic knight for this playthrough. All in all this was really fun. I'm aware that there must be areas/quests i've missed out on so i'm pretty much going to spoil myself and just read up a wiki or something to see what there is for NG+. I'll roll with the strider vocations this time round. Does any of my equipment carry over to +?
They were being summoned :v:

Yes, wakestones will basically lock you into the end.
Everything carries over to NG+. Sidequests and Quests reset, though. But if you're going for the achievement, you don't need to do them all in one playthrough.

Revol posted:

I'm finding this game to be pretty difficult. I'm a Strider, with a main pawn of a Mage and currently using Warrior and Sorcerer secondary pawns. I'm simply dying a little too easily for my tastes. I'm at the point of the game where I was just invited to the Wurm Hunt, just escaped the Everfall (with all my pawns dead behind me), and I haven't done much in the way of side quests. Any hints?

Two questions I have. What is the difference between putting skills on my Mage pawn in primary or secondary? And how am I supposed to use my secondary pawns? Do you play with the through the entire game and level them up? Because they don't really seem to increase in level. Should I keep ditching them and getting new ones closer to level? And what about the RC points that I get? Should I be focusing on buying higher level pawns?
The beginning is probably the most difficult part, aside from some late game stuff. Just keep at it and do stuff. For sidequests, you're going to need to poke around and talk to some people. You have to backtrack to previous villages, too.

For those skills, no, it doesn't matter.
For secondary pawns, the idea is that you switch them out when you need/want to. They don't level up with you. Rift Crystals are either spent on hiring pawns or at a merchant that shows up in the Encampment at some point. The merchant sells some Pawn related potions and some character editing things (a permanent one very later on). Also two useless pieces of equipment for 1.5 million and 3 million each (I think it's those values). Do whatever you want with those crystals.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Is there any way to trigger a pawn to use a particular spell on command? My mage doesn't cast a boon as often as I'd like.

What does everyone do about pots, especially in early game? I was thinking of just buying up a shitload of bottles and hitting up the spring north of Gran Soren. It's just a shame that I lose the bottles upon use.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Revol posted:

You should be 25+ or so where you are at. What you could do is get a higher level sorc pawn and you will start to breeze through the game. Just make sure they have fire affinity since 90% of everything is weak vs fire. Two other good spells to look for in a sorcerer are high bolide and high gicel. With those two spells alone you can destroy almost anything. Some other favorites of mine are high comestion/high levin since they are short cast times and levin stuns while comestion creates these nice walls of fire.

Anyway, get you a nice higher level sorceror and maybe change your vocation to assassin or ranger since they are both much higher damage. If you are still having trouble buy some empty flasks and hit the healing spring before you head out on a long quest. Spring water is really good and heals everyone in your party. I usually pass 20 or so on to a dps, that way they can throw a heal if my mage is tied up or dead.

Revol posted:

Is there any way to trigger a pawn to use a particular spell on command? My mage doesn't cast a boon as often as I'd like.

If you want a weapon enchantment outside of a fight hit left or right on the dpad. That is what I do for buffs before going into a fight. On a side note if your mage/sorcerer knows multiple boon/affinity spells they can possibly put the wrong one on you.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Is NG+ the only way to get those achievements?

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Giving your pawns the order of "Help!" will encourage them to heal you or enchant your weapon, whichever comes first. Otherwise, they'll simply act as best they are able.

Here's a little secret - you can keep apples and grapes in your party inventory (not the bank) until they are moldy, combine them with flasks of water and make wine! Wine is great for regaining health, and there are plenty of apple trees to the north and northwest of Gran Soren. That idea of filling flasks from the Healing Spring is also a possibility. Just make sure you're not the one carrying them all, since a full flask of spring water is 0.45 pounds.

If you're really hurting, forage for nuts, fruits and vegetables, and chow down. Sunbright flowers and Moonglow flowers combine to make Sweet Pollen, which can then be combined with greenwarishes to improve their potency to that of a harspud juice. Bird eggs can be kept until they're golden, which enables them to heal up to 2000 hp and as much stamina in one go. Take out every bird's nest you find and collect the eggs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Seashell Salesman posted:

Do you think there is an actual reason for the trend, or that it's just a convention born of videogames copying each other?
I think it's definitely sustained just because of extreme, catatonic laziness in JRPG writing, but in traditional religion in Japan great people definitely do get enshrined as gods when they die. That's totally not unique to them or to the far east or anything though, but in some sense Abrahamic religion was a reaction against that, what with rules against worshipping false idols and stuff.

edit: JRPGs are usually monotheistic, there is just one god who is treated as god of the whole world...until the villain takes his power or knocks him off or something.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 4, 2012

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Where the hell is my concoctions I make. Argh!

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Can someone give me some advice about successfully playing a Warrior? I'm having some trouble, transitioning over at about Level 26 having played a Fighter for the entire game up to this point. I'm at the point where I just escaped the Everfall and have several Wyrm Hunt Quests involving translating a tablet etc. up to do next.

I found being a fighter pretty fun and straightforward, since I was tough and resilient and being able to turtle up behind the shield while my mage main pawn blasted people was a pretty effective tactic--the shield offensive skills (Cymbal Onslaught in particular) also were surprisingly effective in my opinion.

I'm having a lot of problems being anywhere near as effective with Warrior though. Admittedly I'm only at vocation rank 3 in that class thus far, but it's the lack of defensive options that seem the worst to me. I've lost my precious shield and haven't really gained any defensive options to make up for that, although I thankfully still have my heavy armor--is there some sort of dodge roll that warriors get that I'm missing, or is the early augment that reduces physical damage for Warriors supposed to be an indication that you're just supposed to take hits on the chin and keep swinging away?

What are the best ways to do lots of damage as a warrior and reduce the vulnerability caused by the lack of a shield and the slow opening swings? I find myself opening with either a jumping normal or jumping heavy depending on the size of the enemy, because otherwise opening with a standing normal comes out way too slowly and I either get hit in the face while winding up or, if it's a fast enemy, the target simply moves out of the way.

Should I just switch to assassin instead? Are they capable of using most of the sword-and-shield skills of the fighter? Do you keep Blink/Burst strike? I love my cumbersome heavy armor so much...

prussian advisor fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 4, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

prussian advisor posted:

or is the early augment that reduces physical damage for Warriors supposed to be an indication that you're just supposed to take hits on the chin and keep swinging away?
Yes, this.

What bugs me about the warrior class is that there is no attempt at consistently between how fast the character can swing the sword. If it's a jumping attack, or that backward step swing, they can swing it instantly and effortlessly, but other times the sword is suddenly heavy and takes forever to move around? I wish it was consistently either one or the other. Also by the way, does anyone know the functional difference between the two warrior charge attacks? They sure both look the same to me, except one has an unnecessary flourish before bringing the blade down.

prussian advisor posted:

Should I just switch to assassin instead? Are they capable of using most of the sword-and-shield skills of the fighter? Do you keep Blink/Burst strike? I love my cumbersome heavy armor so much...
Yes to all of this. Assassin really is the best, most versatile class in the game by a considerable margin I think.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 4, 2012

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes, this.

What bugs me about the warrior class is that there is no attempt at consistently between how fast the character can swing the sword. If it's a jumping attack, or that backward step swing, they can swing it instantly and effortlessly, but other times the sword is suddenly heavy and takes forever to move around? I wish it was consistently either one or the other. Also by the way, does anyone know the functional difference between the two warrior charge attacks? They sure both look the same to me, except one has an unnecessary flourish before bringing the blade down.

Yes to all of this. Assassin really is the best, most versatile class in the game by a considerable margin I think.

The functional difference is that the second one (upgraded) basically one shots most of the large monsters in the game.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes, this.

So are there any must-have augments or core skills that would be worth picking up that are relatively low on the vocation rank tree for Warriors before I switch over to Assassin? I picked up the one that "increases damage from your core skills," but does that work for other classes as well? I noticed that, as a fighter, my core skills often dealt with adding extra hits onto combos or giving alternative combos--does this augment just increase damage from your regular attacks? I'm just not really sure how it works.

Any must-haves for assassins as well? I've only ever played melee in this game before, is my damage with a shortbow necessarily going to be poo poo?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

The functional difference is that the second one (upgraded) basically one shots most of the large monsters in the game.
So one is just a more powerful version of the other? That's boring. None of the other skills are like that.

Also I fail to see, in a purely physical sense, why any particular action of bringing your sword straight down in front of you would be stronger than any other. I wish they had more interesting animations. Warrior was the only class in the game that really disappointed me.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

prussian advisor posted:

So are there any must-have augments or core skills that would be worth picking up that are relatively low on the vocation rank tree for Warriors before I switch over to Assassin? I picked up the one that "increases damage from your core skills," but does that work for other classes as well? I noticed that, as a fighter, my core skills often dealt with adding extra hits onto combos or giving alternative combos--does this augment just increase damage from your regular attacks? I'm just not really sure how it works.

Any must-haves for assassins as well? I've only ever played melee in this game before, is my damage with a shortbow necessarily going to be poo poo?

Shortbows just scale off strength, and really the only worthwhile warrior augments for assassin are the reduced melee damage and 20% bonus strength one, but the 20% strength one is vocation level 9.

My main dude is an assassin but I marginally prefer warrior because it's closest to greatsword from monster hunter and there's more timing involved. I stick with assassin though cause otherwise I can't bust the wings on the friggin ur-dragon.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So one is just a more powerful version of the other? That's boring. None of the other skills are like that.

Also I fail to see, in a purely physical sense, why any particular action of bringing your sword straight down in front of you would be stronger than any other. I wish they had more interesting animations. Warrior was the only class in the game that really disappointed me.

The two attacks have different uses, it's a lot easier to bust out an indomitable lash often than an arc of deliverance.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 4, 2012

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Shortbows just scale off strength, and really the only worthwhile warrior augments for assassin are the reduced melee damage and 20% bonus strength one, but the 20% strength one is vocation level 9.

My main dude is an assassin but I marginally prefer warrior because it's closest to greatsword from monster hunter and there's more timing involved. I stick with assassin though cause otherwise I can't bust the wings on the friggin ur-dragon.

The two attacks have different uses, it's a lot easier to bust out an indomitable lash often than an arc of deliverance.

So wait, I won't actually be punished damage-wise at all by the fact that I've been melee for 26+ levels if I go ranged-heavy as an assassin? Besides the presumable lack of ranged-friendly augments that I imagine you'd unlock levelling the strider vocation I mean.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

prussian advisor posted:

So wait, I won't actually be punished damage-wise at all by the fact that I've been melee for 26+ levels if I go ranged-heavy as an assassin? Besides the presumable lack of ranged-friendly augments that I imagine you'd unlock levelling the strider vocation I mean.
Yeah, bows and melee weapons all use strength so you'll be able to whip out a bow and start murdering things same as before.

This game has the best mechanics for bows I have probably ever seen in a game. They just feel so good.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Quick follow-up question about Warriors--are there different skills for warhammer vs. greatswords? I noticed when buying skills during my brief stint as a Warrior, that they were listed as "longsword" skills rather than "heavy weapons" skills.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I just started Warrior myself, and not as far as I can tell. They share the same moveset.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

My main dude is an assassin but I marginally prefer warrior because it's closest to greatsword from monster hunter and there's more timing involved.

I loved the Hammer in Monster Hunter. I love the Warrior class in DD. So much fun to be had slapping around bandits like bowling pins.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Can you feasibly play Assassin without ever using the bow? My secong fresh playthrough may be Fighter -> Assassin -> Warrior.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

der juicen posted:

Can you feasibly play Assassin without ever using the bow? My secong fresh playthrough may be Fighter -> Assassin -> Warrior.
Yeah, but to me the assassin class's biggest advantage over fighter is being able to use the bow when you want. I carry both and equip the bow when outdoors and the shield when indoors.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Huszsersvn posted:

Bird eggs can be kept until they're golden, which enables them to heal up to 2000 hp and as much stamina in one go. Take out every bird's nest you find and collect the eggs.

Wait what? How does that work? I have a ton of eggs because I obsessive collect everything but I thought they just went rotten. I found a golden egg somewhere, but was not aware that you could make them out of regular eggs.

Btw if you shoot crows and seagulls sometimes they drop an egg.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Ed Mungo posted:

Wait what? How does that work? I have a ton of eggs because I obsessive collect everything but I thought they just went rotten. I found a golden egg somewhere, but was not aware that you could make them out of regular eggs.

Btw if you shoot crows and seagulls sometimes they drop an egg.

Eggs mature by going "golden" in three in-game days, same as how meat sours and vegetables moulder. Then, from being golden, eggs will become rotten in less time than that. Golden eggs and airtight flasks make great buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Many thanks to cugel for hooking Pierce up!

• Locked thread