Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clean Bitch
Mar 2, 2010

BigHead posted:

Almost zero. Your masters would also count for almost zero. Law schools are about a) LSAT and b) GPA and c) URM. See:

[chart from first page]

Also, by aspiring to spend three years and paying lots of money in order to get a job you know is going to pay 2/3 of what you currently make if you're lucky, you are officially an idiot.

Fair enough. The flowchart on the first page led me to believe that a few years of good work experience might count for something. I also thought that with a law degree and a few years of solid tax experience, I might get a job at one of those fancy law firms or something.

But then I realized that an extra three years at my accounting firm would probably get me a similar pay increase with no debt.

So yeah, horrible idea. Thanks for clarifying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

10-8 posted:

And yet you'll still go because you're special and different.

My mom told me so. :downs:

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

insanityv2 posted:

My mom told me so. :downs:

is she also paying for it?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Marold Koseman posted:

Fair enough. The flowchart on the first page led me to believe that a few years of good work experience might count for something. I also thought that with a law degree and a few years of solid tax experience, I might get a job at one of those fancy law firms or something.

But then I realized that an extra three years at my accounting firm would probably get me a similar pay increase with no debt.

So yeah, horrible idea. Thanks for clarifying!

No problem bro :):respek::)

Also I think this officially puts me in the lead of number of souls dissuaded from going to law school. :what:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

insanityv2 posted:

Just had an interesting conversation with my supervisor after I gave notice at my job in preparation for starting law school in the fall.

She graduated from law school from the same school I'll be attending in the fall. The job she's in now would definitely qualify as being underemployed.

Uh oh.

She also had some hilariously not-so-nice things to say about her classmates, the school's self-reported employment statistics, and the weather in the area.

Shes probably just a bitch bro, ignore her and forge ahead mindlessly

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

insanityv2 posted:

Just had an interesting conversation with my supervisor after I gave notice at my job in preparation for starting law school in the fall.

She graduated from law school from the same school I'll be attending in the fall. The job she's in now would definitely qualify as being underemployed.

Uh oh.

She also had some hilariously not-so-nice things to say about her classmates, the school's self-reported employment statistics, and the weather in the area.

I think we need to have the name of the school here.
Is it too late to keep your job, because I'd do that.

If you go, please check in every one in a while, so we can get in on the hilarity.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Marold Koseman posted:

Fair enough. The flowchart on the first page led me to believe that a few years of good work experience might count for something.

Sounds like the flowchart needs revising, then.

quote:

I also thought that with a law degree and a few years of solid tax experience, I might get a job at one of those fancy law firms or something.

I knew several people in my tax LL.M. program who are/were CPAs with Big4 experience - you could definitely go to law school, get a joint J.D./LL.M. in tax, and then either go back to a Big4 or to a law firm that does tax work. Whether you would make enough extra money to warrant the cost of law school... I have no idea. I do know that the CPA people in my program were pretty good students who all either a) had good day jobs or b) were able to find Big 4 or biglaw work. So it's not an impossible path.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Is an accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA...) or LL.M necessary or important to becoming a tax attorney?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

WaveLength posted:

Is an accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA...) or LL.M necessary or important to becoming a tax attorney?

Not necessary but all of the new (ie since 2005) tax attorneys at my firm have LLMs and a few are CPAs. Hiring discussions always give precedence to applicants with the LLM.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

nm posted:

I think we need to have the name of the school here.
Is it too late to keep your job, because I'd do that.

If you go, please check in every one in a while, so we can get in on the hilarity.

Cornell.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Do you guys think that American law schools would take into consideration that my Canadian school doesn't give A+'s? My point being that the highest grade I can get as far as LSDAS (and by extension US News) is concerned is a 4.0/4.33

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Green Crayons posted:

To dispel any misconceptions, this is a completely baseless compliment.
To further cement how wrong this is, today I: (1) repeatedly and vehemently told an ex-SCOTUS clerk/fully practicing attorney that he was wrong about a citation format (arbitrary BB format is the Law of the Land, sensible alterations be damned), and (2) stayed after all the other summers left and got drunk (the trying-not-to-be-sloppy poo poo) at an awesome host associate's July 3rd party.

The best I can excuse myself with is that he was being very nice about giving me drinks. But whoops so much for loving that up and just not leaving to get drunk on my own.

See you on the other side of the employment line!

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

WaveLength posted:

Do you guys think that American law schools would take into consideration that my Canadian school doesn't give A+'s? My point being that the highest grade I can get as far as LSDAS (and by extension US News) is concerned is a 4.0/4.33

Each university is given a weighting by law school admissions, because not every 4.0 is created equal. So assuming your univeristy is big enough to merit calculating a rating, the law schools will weight your GPA. But each one will weight it differently with their own internal formulas, so it's hard to know what you'd face.

But screw GPA, try to figure out a way to claim you're an Alaskan native or something like that.

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

"It's not just the swearing either. She's got quick fists too."

WaveLength posted:

Most US UG schools don't give an A+ either.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

woozle wuzzle posted:

Each university is given a weighting by law school admissions, because not every 4.0 is created equal. So assuming your univeristy is big enough to merit calculating a rating, the law schools will weight your GPA. But each one will weight it differently with their own internal formulas, so it's hard to know what you'd face.

But screw GPA, try to figure out a way to claim you're an Alaskan native or something like that.

I'm a white South African, but I don't think I could claim African-Canadian status with a straight face. And Jews aren't exactly under-represented either.

Paramour posted:

Really? Looking at HYS admissions, their 75th percentile GPAs are all above 4.0.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Paramour posted:

I know my Undergraduate school gave A+ grades, but they counted the same as an A- (IE: all A-level grades are 4.0, B-level are 3.0, etc) whereas my Graduate school had A as the highest grade (4.0) with A- being 3.7, etc. I think my Undergraduate alma mater is changing towards the latter policy going forward, however.

Also, I met my brother's trainer at the gym and he was a former law school admissions officer and attorney. His advice: DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL (although he said he enjoying the program itself, he said the law firm work was an unsatisfying pain in the rear end whereas he enjoys being a personal trainer).

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

WaveLength posted:

Really? Looking at HYS admissions, their 75th percentile GPAs are all above 4.0.

I feel like it's usually only liberal arts schools that give A+s, although I'm probably just talking out my rear end right now. If you look at profiles at sites like LSN, there are far more people with 4.0s than 4.33s, although that might be LSDAS rejiggering the GPA.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Paramour posted:

I feel like it's usually only liberal arts schools that give A+s, although I'm probably just talking out my rear end right now. If you look at profiles at sites like LSN, there are far more people with 4.0s than 4.33s, although that might be LSDAS rejiggering the GPA.

The UCs give out A+s for all degrees.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Is there any justification for the stupid 4 grade scale?

10 would make nice clean numbers and 100 wouldn't needed to be converted.

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

Colorblind Pilot posted:

The UCs give out A+s for all degrees.

There you go.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Was this posted before? I don't remember it. Goons are saved!

quote:

A former law student has won a bid in bankruptcy court to discharge nearly $340,000 in education debt because her diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome rendered her unable to repay the loans.

The U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland on May 17 found that Carol Todd, who attended the University of Baltimore School of Law, met the difficult burden of showing that she would suffer undue hardship if forced to repay her debt.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Yea, but she's crazy. Most people here don't apply.

eta: Also, most people aren't pressured into doing poo poo by the DoE. Her situation is unfortunate, but also atypical.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 5, 2012

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

It was posted before, and I noted that a rather mundane bear mauling could discharge you from your student debt.

Also, I'm selling bear sighting tourism packages for $2.00.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

entris posted:

You know how sometimes you read about a successful lawyer, and you go "drat, that person is ridiculous and better than me in every way"? (For law students, you do this, you know you do, every time you read about the newest SCOTUS law clerks, or in my case, whenever I talk to Green Crayons)

Anyway so clearly this guy Adam Chodorow is the best tax lawyer on the planet:

Yeah, that's right, this motherfucker has the top tax paper on SSRN right now with a paper that has the keywords "income tax, tax policy, estate tax, trusts and estates, zombies, undead, vampires, ghosts".

I will never be this cool. :(
When I started my tax class last year, it was about the same time I started watching Walking Dead, and a few of these questions crossed my mind. Then, my tax prof wrote a short article about vampires, werewolves, and zombies and how they would have to navigate the tax code/what revisions would need to be made. Caught this law review article a while back and felt like I should have gone to law school one year earlier so I could have had the idea before him and a prof who wouldn't have laughed the concept out of town.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
About to meet with another lawyer and accuse him of stealing ~200k from my client.

If I don't make it out of the meeting, my only regret was that whataburger milkshake.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Roger_Mudd posted:

About to meet with another lawyer and accuse him of stealing ~200k from my client.

If I don't make it out of the meeting, my only regret was that whataburger milkshake.

Drinking it, or not drinking it?

Also since you are a fellow Texan I am going to assume you are bringing along your good dueling six shooter if it comes to that

edit: this reminds me of a book I read while in law school wherein the legal system had evolved to have many disputes settled out of court by lawyers who were also gunfighters in Texas

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roger_Mudd posted:

Don't think of him as another lawyer. In this situation, he is the same as any other scofflaw or ne'er-do-well who has made off with your client's money.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I made it out alive, claims my client will have her money back next week. We'll see.

Acted like a kid with his hand in the cookie jar and couldn't seem to remember any details regarding his representation.

Yes, I did have a witness who may or may-not have a concealed hand gun permit.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Roger_Mudd posted:

I made it out alive, claims my client will have her money back next week. We'll see.

Acted like a kid with his hand in the cookie jar and couldn't seem to remember any details regarding his representation.

I'd hire you.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

HiddenReplaced posted:

I'd hire you.

Would you hire me? I'd hire me.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Roger_Mudd posted:

Get the money... then report his rear end :) If he does cough up any money, it's probably something he stole from another case. And you might have some kinda duty.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I'm sure you've got a duty to report it.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Yeah gonna get the money first.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What Roger_Mudd/woozle said. Money, then report.

You should also see if he tries to get you to settle, and asks you to promise not to report him to the bar as part of the settlement. I think it's an independent ethical violation. Either that or it's unenforceable...I forget and am not bothering to study for the MPRE for another month or so.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Arcturas posted:

What Roger_Mudd/woozle said. Money, then report.

You should also see if he tries to get you to settle, and asks you to promise not to report him to the bar as part of the settlement. I think it's an independent ethical violation. Either that or it's unenforceable...I forget and am not bothering to study for the MPRE for another month or so.

I think it's unenforceable because you can't contract out of your ethical duty to report. Also I could just have my client report him.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Incredulous Red posted:

So I'll be working free for the LA City Attorney's office this summer.

Go me.

Congrats. I did free government work myself and it worked out well.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
How specialized are patent attorneys, usually? (Read: my undergrad required 2 years of physics and a year of chemistry for my CS degree, if I go into law will this help me get a job in any way)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amarkov posted:

How specialized are patent attorneys, usually? (Read: my undergrad required 2 years of physics and a year of chemistry for my CS degree, if I go into law will this help me get a job in any way)

Your CS degree is (e: probably; depends on the institution) enough on its own.

e: see this

e2:

quote:

Acceptable Computer Science degrees must be accredited by the Computer Science Accreditation Commission (CSAC) of the Computing Sciences Accreditation Board (CSAB), or by the Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), on or before the date the degree was awarded. Computer science degrees that are accredited may be found on the Internet (http://www.abet.org).

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 6, 2012

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
Related followup question. If I end up in a T14 (Berkeley or Stanford specifically), is it reasonable to plan for a career in patent law? I don't think I'd really be happy in other specializations, so if I run the risk of ending up in finance or something I'd rather listen to the OP and not go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Amarkov posted:

Related followup question. If I end up in a T14, Berkeley or Stanford specifically, is it reasonable to plan for a career in patent law? I don't think I'd really be happy in other specializations, so if I run the risk of ending up in finance or something I'd rather listen to the OP and not go.

For the Columbia OCI, there were a ton of chance to apply for a patent position. Since not a lot of people had engineering degrees it was probably pretty easy to load up on those.