Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
So: after freelancing and sort of bouncing around for the better part of eight months, I'm starting a new job next Monday as a writer at a loving fabulous studio here in Seattle. :siren: aaaaaaah :siren:

Doesn't matter how many credits I get or how many years I spend in this industry--every moment like this one feels like the first time. VIDEO GAMEZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Congrats!

May the cry of a Developer always run true and clear! BIDEOGAMEZ

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Unrelatedly - to anyone in this thread still not networking, yet another example of its importance:

I saw http://www.blazejam.com/ in a tweet from someone, and decided hey, I want to get involved. The press hadn't been very well managed, as the person running it hadn't really done a jam before, so I stepped in to help. I offered to handle that side of things, and another indie with some experience stepped into handle sponsorships and a few other things. All and all, now it's shaping up better, and we've got a quickly growing list of attendees. Hopefully I'll wrangle some proper press this week, we'll get some solid donations, and we'll help out with the wildfires. Yay!

... in the process, it turns out that one of the involved dudes who I'd never met before has a solid studio that's been around for years, and oh hey, they were looking for Unity contractors, and they basically always are. They wanted in-state people, but could never find them. So now I've probably got enough work lined up to keep me in the green for quite some time.

In short: seriously, network. Donate your time. See what happens. You'll have some fun, improve the dev community, and probably stumble over some serious opportunities while you're at it.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 4, 2012

JerleMinara
Jan 22, 2011
Edit: NM

JerleMinara fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 3, 2012

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

In short: seriously, network. Donate your time. See what happens. You'll have some fun, improve the dev community, and probably stumble over some serious opportunities while you're at it.

Absolutely. I have yet to land a gig that wasn't brokered, even in very small part, by a preexisting relationship. One thing I'd emphasize is that networking, particularly in this industry, goes waaaaaaay beyond just hurling business cards at people at the GDC NETWORKIN' PAVILION.

It's about making real, lasting friendships, pretty much. Not friends that you can ask for help to find work, but friends that'll push you at opportunities without being asked to at all.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Networking is without a doubt the most important thing you can do in this industry. It's why I had a job offer 4 hours after being laid off for significantly more money. Go to conferences, spruce up your LinkedIn, and just be friendly without being a pain in the rear end.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Networking is without a doubt the most important thing you can do in this industry. It's why I had a job offer 4 hours after being laid

My monitor broke that here and I thought "drat."

But yeah meet everyone and be a cool person. Network network network.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Shalinor posted:

Unrelatedly - to anyone in this thread still not networking, yet another example of its importance:

I saw http://www.blazejam.com/ in a tweet from someone, and decided hey, I want to get involved. The press hadn't been very well managed, as the person running it hadn't really done a jam before, so I stepped in to help. I offered to handle that side of things, and another indie with some experience stepped into handle sponsorships and a few other things. All and all, now it's shaping up better, and we've got a quickly growing list of attendees. Hopefully I'll wrangle some proper press this week, we'll get some solid donations, and we'll help out with the wildfires. Yay!

... in the process, it turns out that one of the involved dudes who I'd never met before has a solid studio that's been around for years, and oh hey, they were looking for Unity contractors, and they basically always are. They wanted in-state people, but could never find them. So now I've probably got enough work lined up to keep me in the green for quite some time.

Permission to say Nice!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 4, 2012

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
So I'm looking at applying to a studio here in SoCal that's seeking an Associate Software Engineer that'd be working on their back end and server code. Pretty standard listing requiring a 4 year degree or equivalent and strong coding/fundamentals. Plusses are C++ knowledge, interest in their game, that sort of thing.

I've never worked in the industry before, but I've been heavily involved in the genre as a consumer in a number of programming, scripting, and other capacities for about 12 years now. All of that's at a hobbyist sort of level, but I'm pretty sure I meet their needs as far as having a strong programming background and good code fundamentals.

The only thing that's got me a bit gunshy is my lack of a degree; as I said above I'm experienced but I've only got a few years of college under my belt and no Bachelor's. The other potential sticking point is that a lot of my work has been in higher level languages like Flex, C#, Java and well.. I never learned all those gee whiz CompSci algorithmic tricks and optimizations and stuff.

I was wondering if anyone might have advice on good ways to downplay my degreelessness while emphasizing my experience writing good, clean code? I'm just wondering how I'll get past all the recently graduated CompSci majors and such.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Have you written any software? Showing what you can do is the best way to dOwnplay what you haven't done.

Also on the networking thing - its important to stress IMHO that half of networking is being awesome and productive and accomplished - if you want a producer somewhere to send you a steam message telling you to apply to their sweet-rear end game, you should have done a lot of work and design to impress them. Also, having an opinion is fine- don't be the yes-man agreeing to everything. I was arguing something a few months back with mega shark before he got me an in :)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Fishbus posted:

Permission to say Nice!
Permission granted. Nice!.

Also, the website's updated, so please nobody go linking to that old janky piece of jankiness. New hotness: http://www.blazejam.com/

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Have you written any software? Showing what you can do is the best way to dOwnplay what you haven't done.

I've been responsible for architecting and implementing a Flex-based front end for a client, in addition to the usual smattering of minor personal projects, a credit on an open source project, scriptlets for friends, that sort of thing.

I'm mostly just wondering if there's any advice as far as putting together a strong application for an Associate Programmer position. I'm confident about my qualifications, but I'm ultimately more than a touch nervous as it's an industry I'm not familiar with working with a language I'm not an expert in with responsibilities that are effectively my dream job. :P

On a separate note, on the topic of networking, is the Tustin get together a weekly thing and just sort of a "show up and introduce yourself if you're new" or..?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
One month till I start my first games job :toot:

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
A lot of people getting jobs.

I just accepted a job offer myself. Start in two weeks.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
I've learned that summertime = busy time at a lot of studios, thus more jobs (and interns). Congrats and good luck to all :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Summer is primetime for internships because of students, too. Though I'm sure the push for the fall release rush into Christmas probably means a lot of summer crunch.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

If I want to get into the field of Game Design; what degree should I be looking into? The OP just seems to be saying to stay away from tradeschools; but I'm completely and hopelessly lost in the woods when it comes to how to actually start on the path of becoming a game designer. I have my military TA I can be spending while I'm in, and I'd like to abuse it as much as possible before I get out.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

TalonDemonKing posted:

If I want to get into the field of Game Design; what degree should I be looking into? The OP just seems to be saying to stay away from tradeschools; but I'm completely and hopelessly lost in the woods when it comes to how to actually start on the path of becoming a game designer. I have my military TA I can be spending while I'm in, and I'd like to abuse it as much as possible before I get out.

Most designers I know have programming degrees, but I've met tons who have degrees in all sorts of unrelated things like materials engineering or even no degree at all.

There's no real reflect designer degree that I know of.
Math or programming will make your life a lot easier but they don't exactly touch on the creative aspects of the job.

In my opinion, your hobbies and side projects matter a bit more for a designer. Make mods, flash games, or anything you can think of, and make them awesome.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

TalonDemonKing posted:

What is stopping you from making a game now?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah, I don't get it. There's nothing from stopping you literally going out there and making stuff like levels and games. That's what will do it for you. Unless you like sitting at the back and being the idea guy and even then that's not even fun. Get your hands dirty.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Fishbus posted:

Yeah, I don't get it. There's nothing from stopping you literally going out there and making stuff like levels and games. That's what will do it for you. Unless you like sitting at the back and being the idea guy and even then that's not even fun. Get your hands dirty.
... and if you're trying to use your military benefits, just go get a regular degree, and be working on your game portfolio on the side. Want to be a technical designer? Try and get a CS degree. Want to be a more artistic designer? Go get an MFA from a reputable school.

If you absolutely must have your hand held through this, and the benefits cover the cost, you still shouldn't be going to a "design" program. Go to Digipen, and do their 4 year CS program. You'll pop out the other end having been forced to make a kickass portfolio. Realize they don't mess around, though, and that you'll be looking at some very, very long hours.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Lack of knowledge and skill, really. I know that, as of right now, anything I make wouldn't be up to par with how I want it. So I just type stuff up and I'm sitting around 50mb of text files with just stuff laid out, rather than putting things together.

I honestly have no idea what people are looking for when hiring; Are degrees really less important than actual, created stuff? Can I pick up say, something I modded in a different game(Skyrim, Starcraft/Warcraft editors) and then add that to a portfolio? Does that look better or worse than homebrewed stuff? Does it have to be digital, or does tabletop stuff still look good?

I'll look into Digipen, thank you.

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 5, 2012

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

TalonDemonKing posted:

Are degrees really less important than actual, created stuff?
Yes.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Can I pick up say, something I modded in a different game(Skyrim, Starcraft/Warcraft editors) and then add that to a portfolio?
Yes.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Does that look better or worse than homebrewed stuff?
Yes. :haw: Better answer: Something that was created completely from scratch and is polished and high-quality will always be more impressive than a mod or standalone level, because, obviously, it took a lot more work to make than something produced using existing code, content, and tools. An actual "do X or do Y" decision is based on a lot of things though (personal skills, time available, and what's most rewarding to you), and you won't get a definitive answer here.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Does it have to be digital, or does tabletop stuff still look good?
To at least some extent you're talking two different career paths here. There's some crossover, yes, but do you want to work on tabletop stuff, or do you want to work on digital? Aim your portfolio toward your desired goal.

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

TalonDemonKing posted:

anything I make wouldn't be up to par with how I want it.

You think this changes? No. This is true of every creative person on every creative project ever.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Star Warrior X posted:

You think this changes? No. This is true of every creative person on every creative project ever.

If you are ever totally 100% happy with something you made, you are probably doing it wrong.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Are degrees really less important than actual, created stuff?

Out of our MP designers, I'm one of two that went to college. Our lead MP designer dropped out.

Its all about your portfolio, the degree is just to show that you don't gently caress around and can commit to something long term.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Its all about your portfolio, the degree is just to show that you don't gently caress around and can commit to something long term.
It also matters in larger studios, where you have to get through an HR department screening battery. BS / MFA Degrees as minimum are a really, really easy thing to filter by, and you lose way more chaff than grain that way.

Granted, once you've got experience or friends and can cut around HR with connections, you'll be fine. Just realize there is a wall (relatively) slowly going up that can make it harder for entry-levels without degrees - or, so I am hearing.

EDIT: That said, this may reverse. The wall was going up mostly because it could - tons of huge head-count projects driving increasingly more graduates of schools gave them a surplus of degree-owning folks. As the AAA market recedes and we're left with more smaller projects, each looking more for cheap and promising Jr labor than they are experienced Sr labor... things might really back off degrees and go back to portfolios again. Huh. Anyone want to weigh in on that? I'm certainly not looking for anything but portfolios in who I hire for contracting work, in any case.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 5, 2012

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

For me I'd say:

Level Designer - Make a lot of levels in a lot of different level design editors and do lots of paper level design to fuel the imagination.

Game Designer - I personally wrote a lot of game design and concept documents and those saw me into my job. I worked on a HL2 mod for uni but only did a tiny bit of the coding. Creating a game in Unity or another fairly simple editor is always a good way to have something to show off.

I do think these are fairly different positions though, as a Game Designer, my day to day activities are very different to my friends who are Level/Content Designers.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TalonDemonKing posted:

Are degrees really less important than actual, created stuff? [...] I'll look into Digipen, thank you.
If you can't get a degree without loans, don't get a degree. Using loans to obtain a degree was the worst financial decision that I've ever made. The student loan situation is only worsening in the United States.

No more grace period on student-loan interest; grad students to pay interest while in school, undergrads lose 6-month grace period

"Student loans are the next debt bomb. Most college graduates will not earn enough to pay off their loans. Indentured servitude is back." —Nolan Bushnell, cofounder of Atari and CTO at Speed To Learn

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Yea. Also I wouldn't be surprised to see schools default if it gets really bad.
Too expensive, making it too difficult on students to take or keeps loans, less students able to afford college, universities spending money like crazy on construction projects, etc. It's just a big loving disaster and its just a matter of when - not if.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 5, 2012

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Adraeus posted:

If you can't get a degree without loans, don't get a degree.

loving hear hear.

University in the past few years here in the UK has gone from completely and totally free not a long time ago to £1k a year when I first started, then £3k a year, now it's £9k a year. We British are hurtling headlong towards the American student debt situation and it's entirely on purpose.

Worse that there's isn't much of an industry left over here post-2007 and I'm finding ever harder to recommend the route I took.

Fishbus posted:

May the cry of a Developer always run true and clear! BIDEOGAMEZ

BIDEOGAEMZ!!! needs seeding and spreading around more.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 5, 2012

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Adraeus posted:

If you can't get a degree without loans, don't get a degree. Using loans to obtain a degree was the worst financial decision that I've ever made. The student loan situation is only worsening in the United States.

No more grace period on student-loan interest; grad students to pay interest while in school, undergrads lose 6-month grace period

"Student loans are the next debt bomb. Most college graduates will not earn enough to pay off their loans. Indentured servitude is back." —Nolan Bushnell, cofounder of Atari and CTO at Speed To Learn

Unemployment is also significantly higher for those with less education so...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/12/01/143016866/unemployment-falls-to-8-6-percent

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
Another thing to keep in mind is if you want to move countries and need to get a visa, a degree can matter even after many years of experience.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Having a degree also warrants a certain amount of lateral movement. None of us can say with confidence that we wont get fired in the next 5 years, and getting another job in the industry is even foggier. Degrees may not matter as much to our industry, but to others, it's kind of a minimum requirement nowadays, like how high school diplomas used to be.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
Gone to the gym every day this week: CHECK
Diet in effect all week: CHECK
Above progress utterly destroyed by July Birthdays cakes and ice cream: CHECK

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

waffledoodle posted:

Check plus for those first two. I've lost like 50 pounds since August. About to be sub-200 for the first time since I was 19 or so. Hooray motivation!

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 7, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

waffledoodle posted:

This is me. I'm at a game jam, eating some terrible-for-me breadsticks and eying one of those packaged Grandma's Cookies thing.

But see, I jogged 0.6 miles this morning and walked another 0.7, so it's ok :allears:

(http://www.blazejam.com is about to begin - WOO)

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
There should be a "game developers get healthy and not fat" motivation help thing, Each crunch I think my baseline fatness increases.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Our studio has a bunch of push-up-clubs and just setup a Fitocracy thing.

Also, I spent so much time this week writing a Powerpoint, it's the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

EgonSpengler posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is if you want to move countries and need to get a visa, a degree can matter even after many years of experience.

If I didn't have a degree I wouldn't have a job right now.