Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Ted Theodore Logan posted:

Just a quick question about teleport homers on flying vehicles. Can I actually use my storm ravens teleport homer to bring in terminators from reserves if it is flying and has moved over 18-36 inches? I ask because I have looked in the BRB and have not found anything to really say I cannot. I tried it out last night and it seems super over powered as I never have to slow down my storm raven and can have a bunch of terminators on the enemy side by turn 3. If it is actually legal in game then I might have to get another storm raven.

If any vehicle has a teleportation homer/beacon attached to it, anything that specifically interacts with it will still work, during the appropriate phase. This has not changed since 5th edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

ChrisAsmadi posted:

2) Can Ymgarl Genestealers still assault straight out of reserve?

Yes, because their special rules says they can. Dormant states that "Yrmgarl Genestealers can move and assault normally in the same turn they are revealed." At present they are one of the only units that can assault coming out of a surprise position. Them and Vanguard Veterans. I can't think of anyone else.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PierreTheMime posted:

I currently field an all-Plague Marine, Obliterator, and Daemon Prince list, just like everyone else on the internet. I cannot wait until the new book comes out to have viable options for the army not just be the same list over and over and over.

I also own five Carnifexes and 15 Tyranid Warriors. You are preaching to the choir about codex rage, but if you go into a constantly changing game system with the mindset that you'll never have to buy anything else I don't know how to help you.

I field my Chaos Marines with three Vindicators, three squads of Marines in Rhinos, and a squad of Berserkers that are in a Rhino now but will go in whatever new Land Raider Chaos inevitably gets. Got my Iron Warriors doors and everything! I also went about three months without winning a game with them but that's neither here nor there.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Torabi posted:

By the way in the recommended stores section for EU people, you can put my name down for recommending Darksphere as well. I got my IG battleforce shipped to Sweden in about a week.

I have yet to see how quick things are with the stuff I ordered from Maelstorm but we'll see.

Been waiting two weeks for Maelstrom to ship my stuff. Everything on the website was available but after shooting them an email it seems like one item was actually "on order" and they still don't have it in stock :downs:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mango Polo posted:

Been waiting two weeks for Maelstrom to ship my stuff. Everything on the website was available but after shooting them an email it seems like one item was actually "on order" and they still don't have it in stock :downs:

Maelstrom and Wayland both do this, they are terrible for it. That's why I recommended Darksphere.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Mango Polo posted:

Oh crap. Everything I ordered is stuff that they order directly from the suppliers and will be dispatched within two days of the receiving it. Guess I'll have to wait a month before I see my stuff then.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Maelstrom and Wayland both do this, they are terrible for it. That's why I recommended Darksphere.

Sadly, Darksphere did not have that Vallejo Black Lava stuff so I had to buy it from Maelstorm.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ChrisAsmadi posted:

To be fair, the LotR games didn't even bother covering the best era of the setting (Silmarillion era stuff).

Also, couple of questions from the game I had yesterday:
1) Can you use Deathwing Assault to reserve the entire army?
2) Can Ymgarl Genestealers still assault straight out of reserve?

Yes and yes. The BRB (BGB? BBB? What the gently caress ever.) is explicit that codex > rulebook and both of them are codex rules. This also applies to drop pod assault.

twistedmentat posted:

Every time i see someone freak out about not being able to assault from Rhinos and such, I'm thinking okay why not change your tactic to have them deliver shooting units? With overwatch they'll get a chance to do something if they get assaulted after they do that shooting.

But something tells me these people are completely inflexible and the idea of not having their entire army in assault by turn 2 is unthinkable.

This isn't just hams being hams. The worst changes from 5th that are identifiable so far are the absolute nerfing of mech- and reserved-based assault armies as well as multiple assaults dying a death. It honestly reads like someone in the studio played Blood Angels and Tyranids back to back, got multi-assaulted by Land Raider Termies and then outflanking Genestealers in rapid succession and ended up throwing their toys out of the pram about that whole mechanic. Multiple assaults are harder to perform, less effective and more risky. You can't assault out of a stationary vehicle, meaning that anything not in an open-topped or assault vehicle has to hang out until about turn 4 before it can reasonably assault, and spends at least a turn getting shot up until it can do so. Two units in the entire game can assault out of reserve, and coincidentally they're the only two able to do so from more or less complete safety (the risk of dying on a DS compared to Stealers having to hang out on a board edge and get shot for a turn is laughable).

All this is apparently supposed to be compensated by the chance to assault 12" in a turn, as if that was a thing anyone sensible would attempt when you get Overwatched before you even roll the dice and the chance is ludicrously minimal.

This game was already too heavily biased towards shooting. Now it's even more so. The only thing I can think of is that they've tried to move away from foot- and mech-based assault units and more towards jump and cavalry/beast/bike ones, which is fine at first glance but does require a more significant rebalancing of things within codices (like bikes not totally loving sucking at assault, Hammer of Wrath notwithstanding, or being hyper expensive) which will inevitably start to take shape in about 3 years time right as the edition changes anyway. This on top of the requirement to take air and anti-air as standard now, which eats up more points, particularly since for a lot of armies the option is 'get Imperial Guard allies.'

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

PierreTheMime posted:

I cannot wait for the rage when the new Chaos book drops and people start crying

You're still looking forward to 2007?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I only discovered Dark Sphere recently :(

Torabi posted:

Oh crap. Everything I ordered is stuff that they order directly from the suppliers and will be dispatched within two days of the receiving it. Guess I'll have to wait a month before I see my stuff then.

Maybe you'll get lucky!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
I will still be playing my Emperor's Children when the new C:CSM drops, whether they're good or not.

Please let then be good. :ohdear:

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important

Phyresis posted:

Yeah I left a Forgeworld drop pod in simple green for like 6 months and it was fine. In fact, it works much better on resin than it ever has on plastic for me. I need to get something better for plastic, does LA's Totally Awesome work or does it melt it?

Late to the party on this, but by far the best thing I've found is Castrol Super Clean. You can get a gallon of it for $7-10 from auto parts stores and it's awesome stuff. Gotta wear gloves, though.

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
Anyone else notice that all toughness bonuses count for Instant Death now? I wonder how hard Nurgle aligned bikers will be to deal with? It also means that plague marines are going to be holy terrors, along with plague bearers and Epidemicus. In fact I am strongly tempted to switch to making a death guard army. Must spread Grand Father's gifts! :zombie:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Tadhg posted:

I will still be playing my Emperor's Children when the new C:CSM drops, whether they're good or not.

I feel like as one of the least-used options from the last codex, they are guaranteed to be really good. That's the best way to sell more stuff anyways.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Nurgle Bikers only have one wound, so increased resistance to Instant Death doesn't mean much.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nurgle Bikers only have one wound, so increased resistance to Instant Death doesn't mean much.

It will when they have feel no pain in the next codex.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Miles O'Brian posted:

It will when they have feel no pain in the next codex.

This is a funny joke.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
So what do you guys think of Kroot now?

7(8*)pts | WS 4 | BS 3 | S 4 | T 3 | W 1 | I 3 | A 1(2**) | Sv -(6*) | LD 7
+21* pts | WS 4 | BS 3 | S 4 | T 3 | W 3 | I 3 | A 3(4**) | Sv -(6*) | LD 7
Krootrifle | Range 24" | S 4 | AP 6 | Rapidfire

Fieldcraft, Infiltrate.
*Upgrade to Sv 6 for one point
** Rifle counts as two CCW.

Or just ally Orks (allies of convenience). Cheaper boys, better toughness and free 6+ Sv. Actually have powerfist options and great leadership 11+ models. Also can have choice for slugga choppa or shootas, depending on what you want from them.

Ork HQ can be super cheap 35pt Mek or a more utilitarian ~100pt KFF-or-Warboss. Also opens up Warboss on bike to run around like an rear end (hitting vehicles on 3+) and getting cheap buggies for area denial. Opens up micro nob bikers now that I think about it.

Only reason I can see taking kroot is because you want to ally IG or Eldar instead.

Since I am a Tau newbie I am looking for a decent 2000pt list. I see Neph is keeping things Missle/plasma, is that what the rest of you think?

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 4, 2012

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The Trials of Draigo, a short animation made by the same guys who did that Space Hulk flash from awhile back.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Played my first 6th edition game tonight, 500 pts, DA vs DE. Apart from terrible rolls a couple of times and not choosing the right weapons for my DE it went alright. Lots of page-flipping but we'll get there.

I know I'm a new player, but am I crazy, or is Overwatch not as horrible as some people are saying? From what we understood, the defender has to roll 6's to hit, so is it just 'change is bad' thinking or what?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Since I am a Tau newbie I am looking for a decent 2000pt list. I see Neph is keeping things Missle/plasma, is that what the rest of you think?

Kroot are good to clog your opponent's treads with, or tie up units that are not great at assault. They are also the cheaper troop option, which has value.

MP/PR continues to be the way and the light, especially now that there will probably be more terminators.

Eldar seem like they will make good allies, Space marines will probably also do well. IG troopers are also very cheap, and would probably work well.

With the change to rapid fire, I'm wondering if fire warriors would do well staying in motion, and using their newfound mobility to be harder to charge at. An army that never stops moving around could be used to drag assault units away from objectives, or other units.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Really liking how SW are looking this time around. Thunderwolves ahoy!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Can anyone explain to me how these places are still in business? I think I've cancelled more orders with them than I've recieved. Do people still buy the 'moving warehouses' story Wayland have been using for over a year now?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

xtothez posted:

Can anyone explain to me how these places are still in business? I think I've cancelled more orders with them than I've recieved. Do people still buy the 'moving warehouses' story Wayland have been using for over a year now?

Maelstrom are loving enormous. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people weren't even aware of other web stores. That and their huge, well-attended gaming hall which regularly hosts 100+ player events.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
More pics!

I made this just before 6th dropped and vehicles became worse. But I don't care. 6th looks loving incredible. Everything I wanted. My only dislike is random charge distance. I kid you not, I have not played a game but I like EVERY SINGLE CHANGE bar random assault.

Closed top:

Open top:

Here is a better pic of the Deffrolla:

There is a boy flyin:

A boy Fixin:

And a boy droppin bombz:

This is a breakdown of the bitz:

Also, I joined a club, turned up and saw 4 Tau players, 3 Chaos players, 2 Orks, 1 Grey Knight, 3 SM. I love this club already.

I am very happy at the moment.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Corrode posted:

Two units in the entire game can assault out of reserve, and coincidentally they're the only two able to do so from more or less complete safety (the risk of dying on a DS compared to Stealers having to hang out on a board edge and get shot for a turn is laughable).

Zagstrukk! :orks:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

My mistake. Three.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

bhsman posted:

The Trials of Draigo, a short animation made by the same guys who did that Space Hulk flash from awhile back.

That was horribly, horribly unfunny.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

DJ Dizzy posted:

Really liking how SW are looking this time around. Thunderwolves ahoy!

Yeah, I think they are really good this edition. However, I just exchanged a box of Thunderwolves and 3 boxes of Fenrisian Wolves (still have 3 TWC and a TWC lord) for a Valkyrie, Manticore, and a Stormtalon. I'm a bad person. I need to pick up 2 more Valks and then some more Troops or something so I can main IG and wait patiently for the plastic Hydra kit to come out.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

CrotchPheasant posted:

Late to the party on this, but by far the best thing I've found is Castrol Super Clean. You can get a gallon of it for $7-10 from auto parts stores and it's awesome stuff. Gotta wear gloves, though.

LA's Totally Awesome is flat-out amazing. It's plastic safe, yeah, I left some stuff in there for a few days to no ill effects. The best part is, though, that if you leave your stuff in there for, say, an hour, you can shake the jug you have them in and watch the outer layer(s) of paint fall off. If you want to use a brush you can do that after about 30 minutes or so for most paint. So, basically, you can strip your models in an afternoon, and not a weekend, it's pretty slick. Spraypaint takes a bit of brushing to remove, and Gesso is really stubborn for whatever reason, but everything else I've tried it on comes off almost immediately. Even the Gesso can be brushed off after a few hours soak, but it requires you to not be a feeble manchild, a problem I'm sure many of us share. :v:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

This is the current state of my Sisters for 6E. Note that the 100pt Celestian is a placeholder for an ADL+Quad Gun:

1750 Pts - Sisters of Battle Roster

Total Roster Cost: 1749

HQ: Saint Celestine (1#, 115 pts)
. . 1 Saint Celestine, 115 pts

HQ: Uriah Jacobus, Protector of the Faith (1#, 90 pts)
. . 1 Uriah Jacobus, Protector of the Faith, 90 pts

Troops: Battle Sister Squad (20#, 273 pts)
. . 19 Battle Sister Squad, 260 pts = 19 * 12 (base cost 12) + Meltagun x2 20 + Sister Superior 20
. . . . 1 Sister Superior, 8 pts = (base cost 0 + Melta Bombs 5 + Storm Bolter x1 3)

Troops: Battle Sister Squad (20#, 273 pts)
. . 19 Battle Sister Squad, 260 pts = 19 * 12 (base cost 12) + Meltagun x2 20 + Sister Superior 20
. . . . 1 Sister Superior, 8 pts = (base cost 0 + Melta Bombs 5 + Storm Bolter x1 3)

Fast Attack: Seraphim Squad (10#, 245 pts)
. . 9 Seraphim Squad, 215 pts = 9 * 15 (base cost 15) + Two Inferno Pistols x2 60 + Seraphim Superior 50
. . . . 1 Seraphim Superior, 30 pts = (base cost 0 + Melta Bombs 5 + Eviscerator 25)

Fast Attack: Seraphim Squad (10#, 245 pts)
. . 9 Seraphim Squad, 215 pts = 9 * 15 (base cost 15) + Two Inferno Pistols x2 60 + Seraphim Superior 50
. . . . 1 Seraphim Superior, 30 pts = (base cost 0 + Melta Bombs 5 + Eviscerator 25)

Heavy Support: Exorcist (1#, 136 pts)
. . 1 Exorcist, 136 pts = (base cost 135 + Searchlight 1)

Elite: Celestian Squad (5#, 100 pts)
. . 4 Celestian Squad, 95 pts = 4 * 15 (base cost 15) + Meltagun x2 20 + Celestian Superior 15

Thoughts?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Mango Polo posted:

Quick question about simple green: is it safe to use on resin models?

Yes I just recently stripped a Cestus Assault Ram in Simple Green. It works fine.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh yeah, one other thing. Premeasuring for everything just feels so wrong. It slows the game down, gives a huge advantage to shooting armies, and so far it's probably the thing I like the least about 6th edition.

Going to disagree with you here. I keep forgetting I can premeasure - but it doesn't seem to slow anything down for us. In fact, I was really against it initially, but now I'm all for it.

Fix posted:

Not me. My chaos is all berzerkers in rhinos and one squad in a land raider and a lord on a juggernaut because gently caress winning.

My other chaos army is all Thousand Sons with shooty dreads because gently caress winning.

This is why I love you my brother from another mother!

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 5, 2012

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Played a game last night actually, and even with the wound craziness, it was faster. Now, I play Deathwing, and previously abused wound mechanics with all individual-style models in units (as much as it could be abused with 1 wound models, anyway), and the new system is faster. Also, I feel like I should make a flowchart for resolving shooting now.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Tadhg posted:

As someone with 50 noise marines and not much else, right there with you. :ohdear:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

Christ, that fake accent during the scrolling text is painfully bad.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
The worst part (of any youtube video) is scrolling down the comments for all the people supporting a piece of garbage.

I can only hope the majority are ironic...

I got up to the daemonetts sex part when google chrome broke youtube and all the audio stopped for no reason. It was a sign.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

WhiteOutMouse posted:

The worst part (of any youtube video) is scrolling down the comments for all the people supporting a piece of garbage.

I can only hope the majority are ironic...

I got up to the daemonetts sex part when google chrome broke youtube and all the audio stopped for no reason. It was a sign.

The Emperor protects.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safety Factor posted:

Christ, that fake accent during the scrolling text is painfully bad.

I think that's the point =P

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
What's the best way to run Infantry Platoons as static gunlines with autocannon heavy weapon teams in each squad? The rest of the army is a CCS with Astropath and Officer of the Fleet, 3 Vendettas, a Manticore, maybe some Hydras and then C:SM ally for a Librarian, melta tactical squad in rhino, Stormtalon, and who knows.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Thanks for the advice about the Zerker heads. I just so happened to have a few Zerkers lying around unpainted from when I modeled Chaos, so I set about dismembering them.

I do have two more questions about making my Space Marine army though.
1) This one may come off as odd, but my chapter is a decedent of the Blood Angels. They do have an enjoyment of close combat, but on the other hand I really am not the most interested in fielding an entire army of jump pack equipped assault marines. (As in, I want a mix of tacticals, termys, and assault marines.) I haven't played since fourth edition, and I haven't looked at either the new Marine codex, or the BA codex. In your guys opinion, which codex would be better to use for a base for my army? I am heavily leaning towards Blood Angels, since they get specialty stuff like Sanguinary Guard, but I worry that if I choose them, I will have to field a certain army, like an entirely jump troop army, if I am going to have something decent. I guess what I am asking is, how to the BA play compared to Vanilla marines?(tactics, model choices, ect)

2) What are your guys opinions on the Forgeworld Dreadnaughts? The Chaplain Dread really appeals to me since it would work really well in my army's theme, but at the same time, resin can be a pain, FW has some quality issues from what I have heard, and they can be a little pricy. I have a FW Destroyer Tank Hunter, and other than the fact that it took a month and a half to arrive(with no tracking) I didn't have any issues with it, but really, I am not sure if a custom dread would be worth it, compared to just embellishing my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is how I think LOS should work. Is my reasoning correct? Are poeple doing it differently?

Let's say a unit takes a large number of wounds

If all the character's armour save and unit's armour saves are the same then.
*Roll all the saves
*Remove models from the front until you get to the IC
*when you get to the IC, roll the LOS rolls (one by one) and remove models within 6" or wound the character appropriately

If a character has a different save to the unit
*Roll the saves for the number of models in front of the character
*Remove the models from the front until you get to the IC
*when you get to the IC, roll LOS before the armour save and then roll the subsequent armour save appropriate for the model the wound was allocated to.

In the second instance you roll the LOS before the armour save. The plebs in the unit should not get to use the characters save or have two chances to save a wound.

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 5, 2012

• Locked thread