Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I've received a couple of ads as well from Strikefleet Omega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you sure that's coming from Strikefleet Omega? A tons of people here, myself included, have the game installed and I haven't heard anybody else mention notification ads.

Absolutely positive. Its the Strikefleet Omega icon, and clicking it takes you to the game to buy IAP stuff.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Absolutely positive. Its the Strikefleet Omega icon, and clicking it takes you to the game to buy IAP stuff.

Well that's lovely. Hopefully the dev will show back up here and explain himself.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I am assuming that my early IAP stopped all the ads on Strikefleet Omega, because I have encountered zero ads (and therefore zero ad problems).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have purchased World Cruise Story, spent a day deciding what to name the drat ship, and the SS Arbitrary has set sail.

Some day I'll found an indie studio that'll make an engine where they can script up Kairosoft-style games easily, but with a reasonable and scalable user interface for modern devices and stuff. I will make billions! Someday.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 4, 2012

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

MikeJF posted:

I have purchased World Cruise Story, spent a day deciding what to name the drat ship, and the SS Arbitrary has set sail.

I would have named it the SS Stutter.

Someone mentioned Cut the Rope earlier and it reminded me, does anyone have any good game suggestions for games similar to cut the rope, in that you can play them with one hand, quick little levels, easy to pop in and out of, etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

big mean giraffe posted:

I would have named it the SS Stutter.

Someone mentioned Cut the Rope earlier and it reminded me, does anyone have any good game suggestions for games similar to cut the rope, in that you can play them with one hand, quick little levels, easy to pop in and out of, etc.

That was me, and I too would like more games of that nature. I feel like it really nailed the physics.

I just spent 10 minutes trying to decide between Cafe Story and Epic Astro before saying "gently caress it, take all my stupid money".

If they're translating/getting them out this fast now, I hope that means some of the older ones will make it here, because that Pyramid one looks awesome.

Slow and Serious
Mar 20, 2007

It runs ok.

pnumoman posted:

I am assuming that my early IAP stopped all the ads on Strikefleet Omega, because I have encountered zero ads (and therefore zero ad problems).

I have made several IAPs in that game but I've seen 2 ads in the notification bar as well. lovely indeed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress you all I need to be asleep not watching my ship take people on tours of Germany.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Slow and Serious posted:

I have made several IAPs in that game but I've seen 2 ads in the notification bar as well. lovely indeed.

Same here. I purchased the 5 dollar IAP and am somewhat unimpressed with the notification bar ads as well.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well that's lovely. Hopefully the dev will show back up here and explain himself.

What's to explain? That's a lovely slap in the face. New rule devs: No promoting your app/game on the forums if it has notification bar ads.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Strikefleet was also making ads pop up in my notification bar and I didn't spend anything IAP.

I uninstalled it because they were annoying. Please don't do that devs.

Because its annoying.

Thanks.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

Yeah, this is unfortunately the case. You start off the game with a really good gun (an assault rifle) which is soon taken away and you have to use a really lovely pop gun which forces you to grind away until you get something better. The next good gun costs $2000 in game cash and the pop gun really is useless so I said gently caress that and I bought $3 worth of IAP gold to get that assault rifle again (which you need gold to buy - the game uses two types of in game currency). To be fair I will say that the IAP items don't seem to be as unreasonably highly priced as other games; along with the rifle I was also able to buy a bunch of useful upgrades and permanent skill boosters as well as another decent IAP gun so in the end it was pretty good value. Shame there had to be IAP there in the first place.

I blew through two levels with the lovely pistol to get that 2000 dollar gun, and am finding it a perfectly serviceable weapon. No need for an IAP yet for me.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MikeJF posted:

Don't steal my ship's name!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
So how is the Sushi game? I would buy it right now but figure I should get a full game of the fashion one in first

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dammit, you guys are making me want to play a Kairosoft game again. I bought Pocket League Story on sale months ago but haven't played it yet.....

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dammit, you guys are making me want to play a Kairosoft game again. I bought Pocket League Story on sale months ago but haven't played it yet.....

It's one of my favorites, so get on that

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Goetta posted:

So how is the Sushi game? I would buy it right now but figure I should get a full game of the fashion one in first

It's solid. It reminds me of Pocket Academy in that at first it's kinda confusing of how you're supposed to proceed and then you start upgrading a few dishes and joining contests and getting ranked and you don't have to worry about money quite as much (but you're not rolling in it like the Clothier). And you're back to needing Sushi Coins as a precious resource to really get all the interesting stuff like a normal Kairosoft game.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I had only just started playing Strikefleet Omega and could have easily seen myself buying some IAP but with these notifications it's off my phone now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't steal my ship's name!

It's named after the Arbitrary from The State Of The Art. The slightly nutty Culture ships are the best ones.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I found a nifty little app called AppSales. It basically tracks and lists apps and games on Google Play that have been recently discounted or put on sale, with adjustable filters for things like discount percentage and star rating. While not strictly game related I'm sure a few of you might find it useful.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 5, 2012

yandomort
Dec 30, 2011
Cubed is a really fun, difficult puzzle game, and its only a dollar I think?

I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more traction.

Be forewarned though, the highest difficulty puzzles are impossible.

Cubed on Google Play

yandomort fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 5, 2012

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Omg everyone, how do I remove "phone" and Gmail from my Android? I phone leaves these notifications about a thing called voice mail that I need to call a number and clear out, and even if it's someone I don't want to talk to. Gmail notified me of s an email that was spam the other day, where DELETED.

I think that you are being a little extreme, and one or two notifications isn't terrible or really intrusive, and if there were 10 a day that's a problem, but 2 in a month (one of them being about an update) is really not bad

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

In a free app, I would grudgingly agree with you (but personally would not use the app in question because I think using notification-based apps is shady as gently caress). But for something you've supported with either a purchase price or an IAP? gently caress that noise.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Yeah, it seems like a weird knee-jerk thing for some people. Shucks, I have Woot Watcher installed which runs entirely on notifications. If I don't want my phone to wake me up at night over dumb stuff, I turn off my notification sounds; shocking, I know. What do you guys do when a random email or drunk-text wakes you up? Call up the sender and rage at them? v:v:v

On the other hand, I also haven't gotten any notifications from SF Omega, and I haven't made any IAPs yet; installed the day it was posted here and play at least a little most days. Weird luck of the draw I guess?

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

mrkillboy posted:

I found a nifty little app called AppSales. It basically tracks and lists apps and games on Google Play that have been recently discounted or put on sale, with adjustable filters for things like discount percentage and star rating. While not strictly game related I'm sure a few of you might find it useful.

Thanks for this, I've been after an app that can help spot pricedrops for a while. AppBrain used to kinda do it but it slowly got worse and worse until it was useless, but this seems to be perfect.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, it seems like a weird knee-jerk thing for some people. Shucks, I have Woot Watcher installed which runs entirely on notifications.

Well there's kind of a difference between an app that you knowingly install for its notifications and an app that should not perform any but does against your wishes. Shocking, I know. :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Actually, I didn't expect notifications from Woot Watcher, I thought I'd open it to see what was on tap for the day, but notifications seem to work well for that. Maybe a better example would have been Tiny Tower, which sends notifications that remind you to check in and play, without trying to sell you anything? It's a timed-everything game and those are pretty helpful, but I see goons rage against them too.

What's your justification for "should not"? Anything better than "I don't want it to"?

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 5, 2012

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

tater_salad posted:

Omg everyone, how do I remove "phone" and Gmail from my Android? I phone leaves these notifications about a thing called voice mail that I need to call a number and clear out, and even if it's someone I don't want to talk to. Gmail notified me of s an email that was spam the other day, where DELETED.

I think that you are being a little extreme, and one or two notifications isn't terrible or really intrusive, and if there were 10 a day that's a problem, but 2 in a month (one of them being about an update) is really not bad

2 a month? I get 2 a day. And I bought poo poo from them. They're ads asking me to buy MORE poo poo from them. You don't think that's unreasonable? It's loving annoying. I check my phone expecting to see a text message or an urgent email but it's a game trying to sell me more credits. Quite frankly, they can gently caress off.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

What's your justification for "should not"? Anything better than "I don't want it to"?

Considering it's my device, why should I NEED anything better than "I don't want it to"?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Naky posted:

2 a month? I get 2 a day. And I bought poo poo from them. They're ads asking me to buy MORE poo poo from them. You don't think that's unreasonable? It's loving annoying. I check my phone expecting to see a text message or an urgent email but it's a game trying to sell me more credits. Quite frankly, they can gently caress off.

OK, at 2 a day I'd be pissed too, I've only gotten 2sfo messages since I installed iyy, I wonder why it varies from person to person?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Check out AdAway in the Play Store. I use that and it can detect games/apps that have in-app advertisement bullshit as well as block ads and stuff.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Jelly Bean includes the option to turn off notifications from individual apps, as well as long press a notification to see what app generated it. If you have a Galaxy Nexus or Nexus S, ads in the notifications won't be a problem for too much longer. If you don't, just wait til your phone gets Jelly Bean in 18 months and then you can play Strikefleet Omega again too!

Slashkun
Sep 19, 2011
http://androidandme.com/2012/07/games/final-fantasy-iii-gets-an-english-translation-hits-google-play-for-15-99/

Anyone picked up the Final Fantasy 3 for android port yet?

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, it seems like a weird knee-jerk thing for some people. Shucks, I have Woot Watcher installed which runs entirely on notifications. If I don't want my phone to wake me up at night over dumb stuff, I turn off my notification sounds; shocking, I know. What do you guys do when a random email or drunk-text wakes you up? Call up the sender and rage at them? v:v:v

On the other hand, I also haven't gotten any notifications from SF Omega, and I haven't made any IAPs yet; installed the day it was posted here and play at least a little most days. Weird luck of the draw I guess?

As already mentioned, there's a huge difference between a game you install, and an app you install specifically to sell you poo poo.

Its not about the sounds, its about notifications in general. If I look over and see that little light, I'm going to stop what I'm doing and see if its something that needs my attention. You desire for a buck is not something that needs my attention.
Its also the principle of the thing, I see enough ads throughout the day without seeking them out, I don't need your unimportant game bothering me to try and sell me something I was enjoying and considering supporting anyway.

Certainly, ads don't bother everyone, and an app maker has every moral and legal right to make their app advertise as much as they want. But if I don't want it to, I also have every right to be annoyed about it and uninstall that obnoxious garbage from my phone.

I have a feeling that Strikefleet's ads are somehow based on game useage, but that's just a guess.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Its not about the sounds, its about notifications in general. If I look over and see that little light, I'm going to stop what I'm doing and see if its something that needs my attention.

This is the big thing. Notifications take my attention away from something else. Considering the relatively large mental costs involved in context switching, notifications should be for things that I consider important and I should have the ability to control them.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 5, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Quetzal-Coital posted:

As already mentioned, there's a huge difference between a game you install, and an app you install specifically to sell you poo poo.

Yes, I saw why that was a bad example and responded to it already.

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Certainly, ads don't bother everyone, and an app maker has every moral and legal right to make their app advertise as much as they want.

Right, I agree with you and I was trying to say that I thought it was weird that people were saying it was morally wrong and thus shouldn't be done. I mean, I get that some people don't like it and that's fine, but "It's bad because they shouldn't do that" seems iffy.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Certainly, ads don't bother everyone, and an app maker has every moral and legal right to make their app advertise as much as they want. But if I don't want it to, I also have every right to be annoyed about it and uninstall that obnoxious garbage from my phone.

If I'm not using said app and it starts showing advertisements, that app author can go gently caress off. That poo poo is so intrusive and annoying.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Yes, I saw why that was a bad example and responded to it already.

Right, I agree with you and I was trying to say that I thought it was weird that people were saying it was morally wrong and thus shouldn't be done. I mean, I get that some people don't like it and that's fine, but "It's bad because they shouldn't do that" seems iffy.

I don't see anyone saying its morally wrong, its just annoying as gently caress. It shouldn't be done because its a lovely thing to do because its annoying as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I remember when we didn't have ads in our mobile games. Only on TV and radio, and in magazines, and movies, and at ball games, and on buses and milk cartons and t-shirts, and bananas and written on the sky. But not in our mobile games, no siree.

• Locked thread