Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
Went and saw El-P with Killer Mike, Mr. Mutha Fuckin' eXquire, and Despot. Was such a great loving show. Our little section of the crown was just going loving wild. During "I aint never scared", Killer mike stopped the song and berated the rest of the crowd for not being as awesome as us. He did his last song right in the middle of our group.

At the end El-P did his encore and did about 5 songs back to back. No stopping or talking. That fool can loving rap.

Anyways, probably one of the best shows I have been to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
If this track is any indication, I'm excite for Yelawolf's Heart of Dixie dropping tomorrow:

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/07/premiere-yelawolf-let-me-out

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

Tremendous Taste posted:

It occurred to me that I really liked the upbeat combination of sampling and orchestral instruments on the track. Any suggestions for similar production?

Only other track I can think of that's close is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpSCa5rEAv4

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Huckabee Sting posted:

Went and saw El-P with Killer Mike, Mr. Mutha Fuckin' eXquire, and Despot. Was such a great loving show. Our little section of the crown was just going loving wild. During "I aint never scared", Killer mike stopped the song and berated the rest of the crowd for not being as awesome as us. He did his last song right in the middle of our group.

At the end El-P did his encore and did about 5 songs back to back. No stopping or talking. That fool can loving rap.

Yeah, that encore is basically the set he did at SXSW, where he does Everything Must Go with the Children's Story beat at the second verse, then Vital Nerve, and ending with Deep Space 9mm. He probably did one or two other tracks in there, also.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

an skeleton posted:

If this track is any indication, I'm excite for Yelawolf's Heart of Dixie dropping tomorrow:

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/07/premiere-yelawolf-let-me-out

So yeah it dropped.
http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/17810/yelawolf_m16_heart_of_dixie.html

I didn't like it. I thought the beats were generic (with the only experimentation being the dubstep in the track you linked, which I hated) and the lyrics/flow sounds like Yelawolf is trying to BE Eminem (which he is now, imo, and I think he sounded better without the influence being so clear). It sounds in parts like Eminem wrote lyrics for an Eminem album, decided to throw them away just lets Yelawolf sing them instead. That's another thing, it's too sing-songey, and obviously marketed for a white audience that only enjoys mainstream hip hop. I wasn't into it.

Standout terrible tracks: Big Nutz, White Boy poo poo, the rest of the songs

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 4, 2012

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It's been mentioned in the OF thread but I think this is pretty interesting:

Frank Ocean comes out as bi/straight.

http://frankocean.tumblr.com/post/26473798723

I think we got people in the thread that may gently caress with Frank Ocean but not OF in general. I think it's pretty brave albeit relatively good publicity at this point. It's not gonna change poo poo about how I view his music, but it's disappointing to know some people will.

Perhaps we can speculate on what other famous rap and R&B artists are not straight?

campfire
Feb 19, 2008

Snoo Zertnert

Huckabee Sting posted:

Jelly. He's not coming anywhere near me this year :(

Saw El-P in 2007 at a pretty small local venue and it was one of the most outrageous shows I've ever been to. Hangar 18 came along and they were pretty fun too. I've been listening to Cancer 4 Cure and R.A.P Music to saturation levels recently. TBH I might be starting to like Cancer 4 Cure as much or more as I do Fan Dam and ISWYD.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Boywhiz88 posted:

:crossarms:

(I know what you mean to say, but it is a hilariously weird typo)

And goddamn y'all talking about seeing El-P and Killer Mike are making me sad I had to miss them a few days ago. :(

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Boywhiz88 posted:

It's been mentioned in the OF thread but I think this is pretty interesting:

http://frankocean.tumblr.com/post/26473798723

I think we got people in the thread that may gently caress with Frank Ocean but not OF in general. I think it's pretty brave albeit relatively good publicity at this point. It's not gonna change poo poo about how I view his music, but it's disappointing to know some people will.

Perhaps we can speculate on what other famous rap and R&B artists are not straight?

Yeah definitely let's speculate about which rap boys like to get naked with other boys and kiss them too

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah definitely let's speculate about which rap boys like to get naked with other boys and kiss them too

Lold IRL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWXcUfyN_yo

Frank ocean is gay.

Whoda thought.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 5, 2012

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

so do you not see how huge someone in the 'rap' community coming out is or are you just a loving homophobe?

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That is some candor on Ocean to do that, but it shows he has enough faith in his audience to take that risk. The best part about it isn't the frankness but the ambiguity. He doesn't address the romantic or even sexual love however delegitimizes that "no-homo bullshit" pass whenever love between two men is at issue.

Channel Orange needs to drop already, Pyramids is my favorite song so far this year.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

farmtrill posted:

so do you not see how huge someone in the 'rap' community coming out is or are you just a loving homophobe?

Actually, read the last line in the post he's quoting before you start saying stupid poo poo.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

farmtrill posted:

Smarten up boy

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Le1f is a gay rapper and his Dark York tape from earlier this year was really good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xei8ni_Furo

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

farmtrill posted:

Seriously, "Perhaps we can speculate on what other famous rap and R&B artists are not straight?" is probably the worst possible topic suggestion for this thread I can imagine outside "Let's post our favorite acoustic guitar rap covers"

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Thugz Mansion :mmmhmm:

remix not a cover

warzero.
Jan 4, 2007

Ooooh WEE, That's how I sound, so C'MON ERR-BODY LET'S ALL GET DOWN.

alansmithee posted:

This isn't too bad, but sounds more like a rhymesayers track than greenova (specifically, POS). Not that it's a bad thing necessarily, but it was def different hearing it. Although I'd say Shady Blaze is probably the most technically gifted out of them, he also seems to have the least...swag. Not a bad track but not sure it really fits him or his lyrics.

ay, I appreciate the input, bra. I've been fuckin' with GO from the get, and I know what you mean about Shady, because a lot of people feel that way too. The way I view it is seperately, just like MAz got their own sound, but when they're on some solo poo poo they sound completely different. What makes Shady awesome is his ability to adapt, I think. He can feature on MAz songs, go in on Friendzone beats and I feel he almost always nails it. One of the reasons why Back Sellin' Crack wasn't as good as I Smoke Because I Don't Care About Death is because Squadda, I feel, couldn't really adapt to the different styles he was trying to pursue.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
MF Doom "JJ Doom" due out August 20th, 2012

Banished. I like it, nice and dirty stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFgdIBW180k

temple
Jul 29, 2006

snyprmag posted:

Le1f is a gay rapper and his Dark York tape from earlier this year was really good:

Cazwell had some attention a while back due to his Amanda Lepore connection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEcZSGUv_ng

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Smarten up boy

ok i didnt see that other guys thing. ill take my L graciously. im a grumpy old dude

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I heard tupac left the studio to do boys :ssh:

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...
anyone here listen to Ace Hood? kinda stumbled on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_dh16HQkqQ

and i liked it, though it seems like most of his records are kinda lovely. dudes got a slew of mixtapes past few years tho. and he's doing a tape with meek i guess?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

warzero. posted:

ay, I appreciate the input, bra. I've been fuckin' with GO from the get, and I know what you mean about Shady, because a lot of people feel that way too. The way I view it is seperately, just like MAz got their own sound, but when they're on some solo poo poo they sound completely different. What makes Shady awesome is his ability to adapt, I think. He can feature on MAz songs, go in on Friendzone beats and I feel he almost always nails it. One of the reasons why Back Sellin' Crack wasn't as good as I Smoke Because I Don't Care About Death is because Squadda, I feel, couldn't really adapt to the different styles he was trying to pursue.

I'd disagree about Back Sellin' Crack a bit. Like, I'll give you that Squadda maybe wasn't able to fully adapt to all the production and w/e he was trying, but he's able to put in something else (emotion?) that makes up for it. So even where his stuff isn't 100% crisp and neat on a technical basis, dude's drawing you in with his personality. Shady Blaze is way more adaptable (his last solo I was really impressed with) but if he's not up on his game with the rhymes, it just sounds off. Like, it might be good if he were a bit more sloppy, or loose. That being said, his solo this year was really good I thought. I'm kinda splitting hairs cause dude's got skill for sure and he's way less reliant on ridiculous production than most the other younger dudes out now.

And as for Ace Hood, I think for awhile he became kinda a punchline since he got a lot of hype from the first (think it was the first) freshman 10 thing and never did much. I think he also did some stuff with Gunplay, but dude just seems totally ordinary to me.

And for the Frank Ocean stuff, there's rumors about 95% of the RnB dudes being gay anyways so it's not really surprising.

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
Anybody have any chopped and screwed albums they recommend? Other than DJ Screw?

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Perpetual Ascent posted:

anyone here listen to Ace Hood? kinda stumbled on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_dh16HQkqQ

and i liked it, though it seems like most of his records are kinda lovely. dudes got a slew of mixtapes past few years tho. and he's doing a tape with meek i guess?

that is pretty funny because meek raps solely in 'the ace-hood flow' nowadays. listen to it, once you hear it you cant unhear it

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

Anybody have any chopped and screwed albums they recommend? Other than DJ Screw?

I had krit wuz here and return of 4eva c&s by Michael watts on repeat for a while if you haven't heard that. Who in this thread said chopped and screwed was like dub step for people below the poverty line? I always thought that quote was really funny.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

City of Syrup!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-hblZlaIUg

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I liked, um, Paul Wall's Peoples Champ chopped n screwed. I also haven't really liked any other c&s'd albums I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSmTMKxmmTU

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

UP AND ADAM posted:

I liked, um, Paul Wall's Peoples Champ chopped n screwed. I also haven't really liked any other c&s'd albums I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSmTMKxmmTU

one of my favs

slim thug - already platinum is great too, also guerilla mabb (sp?) - resurrected

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
old but classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCwcqBho1Gk

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn
yeah the swishahouse remix of Get Ya Mind Correct is the best thing Mike Watts has ever done

the original Homer Pimpson tape is also a good Color Changing Click release

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
When the gently caress is the new Nas album gonna loving leak?

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up
Been bumping the new Aesop Rock album all day. Goddamn if it isn't the darkest thing I've ever heard from him. The album essentially ends on what sounds like a spoken word admission of guilt and failure with some minimalistic beats in the background. "I have been completely unable to maintain any semblance of relationship on any level." Jesus gently caress.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

Been bumping the new Aesop Rock album all day. Goddamn if it isn't the darkest thing I've ever heard from him. The album essentially ends on what sounds like a spoken word admission of guilt and failure with some minimalistic beats in the background. "I have been completely unable to maintain any semblance of relationship on any level." Jesus gently caress.

If I remember right, while working on Skelethon he lost a close friend and went through a divorce.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

It's like a window into his worst moments. Jesus. Really good album, but it's bringing me down listening to it. No wonder he looks like a homeless dude who just doesn't give a gently caress, wherever he's living must not feel like home for the time being.

warzero.
Jan 4, 2007

Ooooh WEE, That's how I sound, so C'MON ERR-BODY LET'S ALL GET DOWN.

alansmithee posted:

I'd disagree about Back Sellin' Crack a bit. Like, I'll give you that Squadda maybe wasn't able to fully adapt to all the production and w/e he was trying, but he's able to put in something else (emotion?) that makes up for it. So even where his stuff isn't 100% crisp and neat on a technical basis, dude's drawing you in with his personality. Shady Blaze is way more adaptable (his last solo I was really impressed with) but if he's not up on his game with the rhymes, it just sounds off. Like, it might be good if he were a bit more sloppy, or loose. That being said, his solo this year was really good I thought. I'm kinda splitting hairs cause dude's got skill for sure and he's way less reliant on ridiculous production than most the other younger dudes out now.

Nah, I definitely see what you're getting at. Although I feel like Squadda's (and Mondre's, for that matter) ace in the hole so to speak has always been injecting a weird sort of raw, ethereal emotion into tracks, I feel like it's really hard to stay consistent to that if you can't figure out what really works with certain sounds you're going for, that's why I didn't feel the need to bring up the emotional aspect-- I feel like that will always be a part of their sound, because it has been since the get. Either way, I'm glad you gave me some input and I'm always down to discuss the GO fam, 'cos they're definitely makin' my favorite music these days.

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

Skeezy posted:

If I remember right, while working on Skelethon he lost a close friend and went through a divorce.

Yeah, Camu Tao passed away, and Aesop got divorced from Allyson Baker. If I remember right, he also moved to San Francisco either a bit before None Shall Pass was released, or right after, losing a lot of his social circle/roots in NYC. It's also (somewhat) part of the reason why Aesop produced the entire album himself. Was tough to work with Blockhead long-distance.

Still, I didn't expect this kind of darkness. I mean, El-P dealt with Camu's death too, yet Cancer 4 Cure bumps really loving hard and the album is extremely fun at times.

So far, after listening to Skelethon four times, I feel emotionally drained. Not necessarily a bad thing. It's an amazing album, but holy poo poo, as Agreed put it:

Agreed posted:

It's like a window into his worst moments.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I want to dedicate this song to Game videotaping 40glocc getting punched out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZwQSbpOU_k

And he fled after one slap *PAP*

temple fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

temple posted:

I want to dedicate this song to Game videotaping 40glocc getting punched out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZwQSbpOU_k

And he fled after one slap *PAP*

That was so ignorant. These people supposed to be grown man they're acting like rich little kids! Entertaining though.

• Locked thread