Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

the posted:

I want to sell my vinyl in SA-Mart, but shipping looks loving ridiculous!

A 300g package costs $25.00 to ship across the US?!

Am I missing something here or is there no way around it?

You must be. I just looked up mailing 300 grams (11 ounces) in a 13x13x13 inch box (to have room for packing material around the record sleeves), from New York City to Los Angeles and the USPS will do it for:

$3.31 - for First-Class Mail® Parcel, the slowest service
$5.70 - for parcel post, second slowest service

If you go up to Priority Mail and Express Mail then yeah it goes up to $27 or $33 but those have certain guarantees on arrival times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

buttopticor posted:

Do you mean the Nintendo 3DS, which replaced the Nintendo DS over a year ago? If so, yes, it's about to be replaced by the 3DS XL if you want larger screens and longer battery life.

However, if you've never played a DS game and don't care about being on the cutting edge, just pick up some original DS off of SA-Mart and have fun playing a bunch of games you missed for cheap.

I was mainly concerned over it being replaced completely. However I am finding a lot of great deals on the DS Lite's and I'm wondering how much I'll really miss not being able to internet on my DS. I just contacted a guy over a black DS Lite mint condition with Pokemon Black for 80 bucks total.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

You must be. I just looked up mailing 300 grams (11 ounces) in a 13x13x13 inch box (to have room for packing material around the record sleeves), from New York City to Los Angeles and the USPS will do it for:

$3.31 - for First-Class Mail® Parcel, the slowest service
$5.70 - for parcel post, second slowest service

If you go up to Priority Mail and Express Mail then yeah it goes up to $27 or $33 but those have certain guarantees on arrival times.

Packing and the awkward size will make it a bitch. I've worked in shipping and 9 times out of ten an object's dimensions will be the deciding factor, not the weight.

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib
Records also qualify for media mail, which is similarly cheap (and in theory slow, but I've never had a problem).

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I think a record would qualify for media mail too, which very slow, but cheap.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Black Cat posted:

Packing and the awkward size will make it a bitch. I've worked in shipping and 9 times out of ten an object's dimensions will be the deciding factor, not the weight.

Well yes, I put it to 13 inch on each size which is quite awkward and did raise the price, but it's still cheap. 13x13x13 give you the space to have about 32 records in the box, with about an inch of padding space in each direction.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

the posted:

I want to sell my vinyl in SA-Mart, but shipping looks loving ridiculous!

A 300g package costs $25.00 to ship across the US?!

Am I missing something here or is there no way around it?

I have sent mail using an LP jacket itself as the envelope, and it was like 5 USD.
Wrap some paper around it and write "do not bend" and you should get similar results.

Or if you want to protect it better, maybe a more rigid envelope, but a large envelope (make one yourself out of corrugated cardboard from an old box, and packing tape) should suffice and not cost much more. Probably no need for an actual box box.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I hope this is the right place to ask this!
Anyway, my mother ,for various reasons, needs to transport sets of crystal glasses in hand luggage internationally and has asked me to look into a couple of options on how best to package them without making it a total pain in the arse to unpack and repack them all the time.

I'm thinking along the lines of custom foam like for camera lenses etc. In any case, if someone has any bright alternate ideas or knows a good place to get that sort of thing done in the UK (preferably London) that'd be very helpful. I'll look into it more myself of course but I figure some goon might know something useful.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

NLJP posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this!
Anyway, my mother ,for various reasons, needs to transport sets of crystal glasses in hand luggage internationally and has asked me to look into a couple of options on how best to package them without making it a total pain in the arse to unpack and repack them all the time.

I'm thinking along the lines of custom foam like for camera lenses etc. In any case, if someone has any bright alternate ideas or knows a good place to get that sort of thing done in the UK (preferably London) that'd be very helpful. I'll look into it more myself of course but I figure some goon might know something useful.

Got me on the London part, but if you decide to DIY, you can find suitable foam at most arts and crafts stores.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

alnilam posted:

I've heard rumor that some health insurance providers (USA) do not cover injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident. This sounds insane, but then again, insurance companies \/:shobon:\/
Is this true at all, and if so, I guess I'd find out by calling my provider?

I've heard of this in the vaguest sense. It came up during the battle to pass HIPAA back in the 90's. Motorcycle forums and sites all seem to have the story of a "friend of a friend" who wasn't covered, etc. The general gist seems to be that while there are certainly policies that don't, they're rather unusual.

If you're personally concerned about it, you should first contact your provider or your company's HR rep if the company is big enough. Assuming you aren't covered, your motorcycle insurance is going to need to have a big-rear end medical rider added to it.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Yeah the only reason I can logically think of someone saying their health insurance didn't cover a motorcycle accident was because their auto insurance was supposed to.

I mean, if you get into a car accident and need medical attention, that generally goes through your auto insurance. At least the first 60k or whatever your limit is.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How much does writing in a book actually affect its value? Enough for some pencil in the margins to knock $200 off of a first edition?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

change my name posted:

How much does writing in a book actually affect its value? Enough for some pencil in the margins to knock $200 off of a first edition?

Depends on whether it had any value to begin with. The drop in value between a first edition Lord of the Rings and a first edition "How to pick your nose" will be noticeably different.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It was more of a general question about whether or not it was a really important factor, but it's mainly since I managed to buy a first edition copy of The Master and Margarita for $15 instead of 250 because of it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

It would also depend on who wrote in it in the first place. I imagine it would increase the value if it was someone famous scribbling in the margins.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SIHappiness posted:

I've heard of this in the vaguest sense. It came up during the battle to pass HIPAA back in the 90's. Motorcycle forums and sites all seem to have the story of a "friend of a friend" who wasn't covered, etc. The general gist seems to be that while there are certainly policies that don't, they're rather unusual.

If you're personally concerned about it, you should first contact your provider or your company's HR rep if the company is big enough. Assuming you aren't covered, your motorcycle insurance is going to need to have a big-rear end medical rider added to it.

My insurance had a big checkbox for having a motorcycle and/or being a diver, both of which would make the price a lot higher. I guess statistically motorcycle drivers fall and die a lot more than the rest of us.
I am in Denmark though, things could be different.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Yeah the only reason I can logically think of someone saying their health insurance didn't cover a motorcycle accident was because their auto insurance was supposed to.

I mean, if you get into a car accident and need medical attention, that generally goes through your auto insurance. At least the first 60k or whatever your limit is.

Oh my. I've never had a car so I've never had auto insurance and don't know much about it. I always assumed that any nasty medical event, car crash or not, was covered through health insurance, and auto insurance only covered damage to vehicles and property. So do auto insurances have additional medical coverages that are intended for people without health insurance? Or is it typical that the auto policy's health coverage comes into play instead of tapping into your health insurance, even if you do have the latter?

And then, I guess that would mean that if I do have health insurance (and it covers motorcycle stuff), I shouldn't worry about any medical coverage through my motorcycle insurance. Sound right?

I feel like I'm in an atypical situation, since most people own a car and are tacking their motorcycle insurance onto their auto. :(

Thanks for the answers!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
What are the pairs of values on this site for?

http://xdecrypt.com/google-sha1-2ad6-2

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

alnilam posted:

Oh my. I've never had a car so I've never had auto insurance and don't know much about it. I always assumed that any nasty medical event, car crash or not, was covered through health insurance, and auto insurance only covered damage to vehicles and property. So do auto insurances have additional medical coverages that are intended for people without health insurance? Or is it typical that the auto policy's health coverage comes into play instead of tapping into your health insurance, even if you do have the latter?

And then, I guess that would mean that if I do have health insurance (and it covers motorcycle stuff), I shouldn't worry about any medical coverage through my motorcycle insurance. Sound right?

I feel like I'm in an atypical situation, since most people own a car and are tacking their motorcycle insurance onto their auto. :(

Thanks for the answers!

Your auto or motorccle insurance will have a medical rider for self and passenger, usually. This is generally intended to cover the deductibles and out-of-pocket costs on any medical insurance you or your passengers may have. The "passengers" part is particularly important because if it was a non-family member riding shotgun and the driver was at fault, the health insurance company would start investigating ways to recover from the driver.

In my case, for instance, I have $10K of medical coverage per passenger primarily because my (and my wife's) medical insurance is just fine and it's way less common for someone else to be riding with us. Someone with a high-deductible medical policy might want to spend a little more here. $10K was literally the base level for my insurance - it's impossible not to have it; all of my various medical deductibles (imaging, testing, out-of-pockets, etc.) wouldn't amount to $2,000 if I ended up in something that resulted in an ambulance ride, X-ray/MRI, ER visit, and same-day discharge. At $10K, I guess it goes a little further into the scenario where an accident might result in an extended hospital stay.

In the case of a crash where the other party was at fault, their general liability is going to be expected to pay for the medical bills - your medical insurance will go after them for that. In the case of a collision where you were at fault, though, the medical rider kicks in.

TL;DR: The medical rider on your auto/motorcycle is intended to supplement your health insurance coverage in most cases, not replace it. If your health insurance is fine, then you'll be okay to stick with a relatively minor medical rider on your motorcycle insurance. For someone who had insurance through their employer that didn't cover motorcycle accidents, though, I'd say you'd be looking for as big a medical rider as is economically feasible.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

SIHappiness posted:

TL;DR: The medical rider on your auto/motorcycle is intended to supplement your health insurance coverage in most cases, not replace it. If your health insurance is fine, then you'll be okay to stick with a relatively minor medical rider on your motorcycle insurance. For someone who had insurance through their employer that didn't cover motorcycle accidents, though, I'd say you'd be looking for as big a medical rider as is economically feasible.
Awesome answer, thank you! And for the record, I don't know yet if my health covers motorcycles or not. I'll call them and ask.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Help i'm trapped on my phone and i'm looking for the rules to an improv game called penny for your thougts. All i've been able to find is rules for icebreaker style games for wedding showers, i remeber it being more along the lines of a collaborative story type of thing.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

quote:

All players gather around and reach into their purse or pocket and pull out any coins that they have. Each player will select one coin. Players who do not have any coins should borrow from other players or the host or hostess can provide extra. Players will then read the date off of their selected coins. The host or hostess will then ask “What is an event from the date on your coin? It can be something happened to you, your family or in the news.” The players then take turns sharing events and commenting one each other’s events.

Occasionally your group will find an old coin from before any one in the group was born. Encourage the players to work together as a team to determine what happened in history on the date. Remember the point of this activity is to start conversation and get to know each other. Each new coin should be viewed as a group discussion

That's what I could find.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Orzo posted:

A common method of *attempting* to secure passwords should the security be compromised is to "hash" them, the problem with that is that even though they are extremely hard to reverse engineer once the hash for a given string is found it may as well be plain text.

Example I know the MD5 hash of 'password' (5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99) when I see it. So if I found a list of compromised accounts with MD5 hashed passwords I would easily identify and be able to access any account with the password of 'password'.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Orzo posted:

TL;DR: They help you crack passwords.

A bit of background: there are some mathematical functions called "one-way hashes". You give them a number as input, do a bunch of math to it, and end up with a different number as output. What's special about these functions is that, for any given input a, you will always get the same output b, and, given only b, it's impossible to figure out what a was to start with.

These functions are very useful in saving passwords on websites. When you set up your account, you type in a password. The website takes your password, converts it to a number, and runs a 1-way hash on it, then stores that instead of your plaintext password. Whenever you log in, it takes the password you enter, runs it through the hash, and compares that number to the number that it's saved in it's database. If they're the same, the password you just typed in has to be the same as the password that you gave when you signed up. That way, if someone does manage to get their username/password store, they don't actually have your password, just the hash of it. They don't even have a way to log in as you, because they don't know what password, when typed into a login box, is going to give them the hash they know is associated with your account.

Enter this website. This website just seems to have a list of SHA-1 hashes, and passwords that will generate the hash. That way, if someone knows that your hash is 2ad64ce3f8a0c3b6f79314ad2f3974e1c753b8bb, your password must be soviet-derived. This list of hashes and passwords is called a "rainbow table." This table is necessarily limited in size; hashes create a 256-bit number, which means there are 10^77 possible hashes, which is way more data than can be stored using all of the hard drives on earth. These tables generally contain "easy" passwords, like dictionary words, or passwords that they've found in databases that they've already cracked.

Any good website is going to take steps to combat this even further. They will "salt" your password before they turn it into a hash. For example, when you type in your password (soviet-derived), they'll add some extra characters onto the end of it (!#SA-LT#!_*), and hash the combination (soviet-derived!#SA-LT#!_* -> 1936b9a7e8c42cb393bdc4a7aaf02742e2c0a797). This basically adds two constraints onto trying to hack an account - you need to know what the salt is, and subtract it from the initial password, and you need to have the longer, more complicated password in your rainbow table. (You often won't.)

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
I suppose this doesn't warrant its own thread, but can people tell me odd hobbies to work on?

Currently I'm spending my spare time juggling, juggling a soccer ball, and goofing off on a guitar.

I love learning new things and acquiring knew skills. I was going to the gym steadily but now I've had a bizarre back pain that's lasted a month so I'm trying to get that to go away. I'm going to start distance running again soon and I'm stretching daily again.

I'm considering practicing karaoke in my room, if I can stomach the embarrassment (I live with 7 people).

Anyone know of any decent how-to-draw websites?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

I didn't ask the original question, but this was really cool. Thanks for posting in such detail!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Is there a proper musical term for the type of piano playing in this video? Fast and very jumpy?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Black Cat posted:

Anyone know of any decent how-to-draw websites?

Towards the bottom of this OP.

Duhhhhhh forgot to include the link :downs:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3481312

An observer fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 5, 2012

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Experto Crede posted:

Is there a proper musical term for the type of piano playing in this video? Fast and very jumpy?
I think the answer you're probably looking for is "vamping". But strictly, what he's doing there would just be basic "accompaniment".

Meltman
Jul 5, 2007
What, me worry?
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm looking for a website or a software to help me build 'webs' of names. I'm interested in obtaining something like this:
Thanks!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Meltman posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm looking for a website or a software to help me build 'webs' of names. I'm interested in obtaining something like this:
Thanks!

R can do this

but you probably need some kind of background in network analysis to do it. I would try asking in the Scientific/Math(s) Computing: numerical/statistical analysis tools and CASs thread.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
This looks like it might do it: http://gephi.org/

Meltman
Jul 5, 2007
What, me worry?

Thanks, I'll look into that.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What's the shipping route a package takes from Australia?

I just ordered something off eBay and the guy says it will arrive "July 24th through August 6th."

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

the posted:

What's the shipping route a package takes from Australia?

I just ordered something off eBay and the guy says it will arrive "July 24th through August 6th."
From Australia to where? Regardless, that's almost certainly impossible to answer since it depends on so many things.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Experto Crede posted:

I know you already got an answer but I just wanted to toss in that it sounds ragtime-y to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_dI6BZt06U

Is there a thread on SA where people post examples of stupid facebook users? I don't know where to look for something like that - PYF, E/N?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Idiots on facebook: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3313077

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
Is there a quick way to mark all Gmail messages as "read"? I have almost 6000 emails that are unread at the moment, mainly newsletters and "word of the day" subscriptions and job application confirmations that have accumulated over the years. I can mark 50 emails at a time as read, but it may take a while to get through them all. I can't seem to find a big flashing "reset this and have an easily read summary of your recent emails instead of a counter that could double as a Hebrew calendar" button.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Tick the box in the upperleft to select the current 50, and a message will appear questioning you if you want to select all mails in the current folder.

e: also a tip, I put a filter on incoming mails filtering "newsletters" to go to the newsletter label. This owns and really streamlines my inbox reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

Samopsa posted:

Tick the box in the upperleft to select the current 50, and a message will appear questioning you if you want to select all mails in the current folder.

e: also a tip, I put a filter on incoming mails filtering "newsletters" to go to the newsletter label. This owns and really streamlines my inbox reading.

That did the trick! drat my domestic blindness.