Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

Some sort of image persistence is going to be unavoidable on IPS displays. We'll just have to see how bad it really is on the shipping units.

Is this specific to very high dpi displays? I definitely haven't seen any image retention on my ips desktop monitors or television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

dissss posted:

Is this specific to very high dpi displays? I definitely haven't seen any image retention on my ips desktop monitors or television.

From what I understand, it can get exasperated by heat. So, it's likely not so much the DPI, but the compact packaging we have going on with these gadgets.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://plus.google.com/105051985738280261832/posts/6eWwQvFGLV8

Dianne Hackborn just posted a bit about the Nexus 7's screen and how Android 4.1 works on it. She states it's not exactly a smaller 10" version of the OS nor is it like the phone version of JB.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

XIII posted:

I was the same way. Always thought tablets were kinda cool, but had no interesting in owning one. Then, I heard "Nexus" and "tablet" in the same sentence and it grabbed my attention. Then, they said, "$200" and, suddenly, I couldn't loving wait to get one. (even though I'll spring for the 16G).

I feel exactly the same way. There just wasn't anything out there to make me bite until now. iPads were too high, Kindles don't work outside the US and are too closed... Android I didn't feel was ready until 4.0 (and 4.1 just improves on that). Now that I see Google properly backing tablets in a way that satisfies my illogical, reptile, brain, I feel I can go for it.

16gb Nexus 7 pre-ordered to Vancouver, BC. Total cost, inc. shipping was $310 if you're wondering.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Dianne Hackborn just posted a bit about the Nexus 7's screen and how Android 4.1 works on it. She states it's not exactly a smaller 10" version of the OS nor is it like the phone version of JB.

What 10" :jeb: devices are there out to compare it to? :confused:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cakefool posted:

I think it may be a follow up to the question she answered at I/O about Jelly Bean looking like it does on the Nexus 7 on 10" devices as well. She said no, but I guess she's elaborating more.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

That stories been updated since you posted it:

quote:

We've received a response from ASUS that they're unable to replicate the problem on production units (I/O units are, technically, pre-production), so this may have been sorted out in time for the initial consumer run. It appears, then, that this problem is at least affecting only some units.

Cakefool posted:

The Motorola Xoom was Google's previous reference tablet, so it's probably what shes referring to since its due to get 4.1 alongside the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus in mid-July. They actually revealed offhand in a design session on I/O Day three that a lot of the initial development work for the Nexus 7 was done on Xooms modified to run at a cropped resolution (presumably until the initial Nexus 7 prototypes were complete).

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 4, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vagrancy posted:

That stories been updated since you posted it:
There are also a couple of people in the comments saying that they saw this on their "free" units at IO and got it replaced during the event with one that works fine. So it seems like a QA issue, hopefully one that is solved for the retail version.

Like others have said I am ridiculously hyped over the N7 even though a day before GIO I didn't even consider that I wanted a tablet. Everything about it is perfect for me: pure Android, decent specs, great price, and the right size to hold in one hand. In a country where the Kindle Fire doesn't exist (UK) I don't see anything else to compete with it. Release date cannot come soon enough!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
If the problem is heat related it could be down to the white backplate being more heat reflective than the black one on retail models. If it acts as an insulator then it could reflect some heat back inside, instead of spreading it across the outer shell of the device.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
The article mentions that the ghosting / image retention is reduced after the device warms up.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

If I'm reading her post correctly, this simply implies that there's no binary 'small (phoneUI)' -> 'big (tabletUI)' interface option, and that Jellybean will instead use the display resolution to pick and choose which display elements are used. This is why the Nexus 7 uses the centred system bar, and not the slightly different layout as seen on HC/ICS tablets.

That said, there's probably some nutcase over at XDA rocking the tablet UI on his Galaxy Nexus just because he can.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

spincube posted:

If I'm reading her post correctly, this simply implies that there's no binary 'small (phoneUI)' -> 'big (tabletUI)' interface option, and that Jellybean will instead use the display resolution to pick and choose which display elements are used.

While the Nexus is 7 inches, doesn't it run at the same resolution as most HC tablets? Xoom and Galaxy tab run at 1280x800 no? Or does it mean that 10 inch tablets will be running 1080p resolutions by default and that's where the tablet UI comes into play.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The OS is aware of both the resolution and screen size, so it's able to calculate DPI.

So, 1280x800 at 10.1 in gets a different layout than 1280x800 at 7 in which is a different layout still from 1280x720 at 4.65 in.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android has a concept of "dp units" which are used to arrange the layout (by apps which bother to account for different screen sizes, anyway) and are independent of the screen's actual resolution.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is the Android app ecosystem still pretty limited in terms of well-designed, tablet specific apps? That's what's stopping me from springing for a Nexus 7.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is the Android app ecosystem still pretty limited in terms of well-designed, tablet specific apps? That's what's stopping me from springing for a Nexus 7.

Yes.

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006
Any good app to get wallpaper formatted to 1200x800?

Zedge is nice, but the wallpapers seem lower res and with a bit of pixalisation

Will check out Wallpaper HD when I get home.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

vonManstein posted:

Any good app to get wallpaper formatted to 1200x800?

Zedge is nice, but the wallpapers seem lower res and with a bit of pixalisation

Will check out Wallpaper HD when I get home.

Interfacelift.com has been amazing for really high quality wallpapers that I've used for my phone and my brothers tablet. Don't think they have an app though.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

In comparison to iPad, there aren't as many tablet-formatted apps. There definitely are some great tablet apps available though.

Have a look at http://www.tablified.com/ to get some idea of what's available.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yes unless a significant number of apps have been updated since this.

Rastor posted:

Android has a concept of "dp units" which are used to arrange the layout (by apps which bother to account for different screen sizes, anyway) and are independent of the screen's actual resolution.
Which apps are those?

Rastor posted:

In comparison to iPad, there aren't as many tablet-formatted apps. There definitely are some great tablet apps available though. Have a look at http://www.tablified.com/ to get some idea of what's available.
Yes have a look there and you'll readily see the situation. Front-page featured app:

"Yapı Kredi Mobil Bankacılık HDMake your life easier with Yapı Kredi Mobile Banking application!Yapı Kredi Mobil Bankacılık uygulaması ile hayatınızı kolaylaştırın! Bu uygulama ile Android Tablet kullanıcıları; Yapı ..."

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

With a 7in I'd think that more apps would work even with the phoneUI, not all but they'd look better than on a 10in at least.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Matias Duarte talks a bit on tablet specific applications with his interview on The Verge. The tablet app part starts around 5:10 in.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3126644/matias-duarte-on-android-4-1-jelly-bean-and-the-nexus-7

The long and the short of it is, he doesn't want tablet specific apps. He wants apps to use dynamic layout elements such that they respond appropriately to the DPI of the device.

The current Google+ is a good example of this. A 10.1" tablet, 7" tablet, and 4.65" phone are all going to have different layouts even though they have the same screen resolution.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

Matias Duarte talks a bit on tablet specific applications with his interview on The Verge. The tablet app part starts around 5:10 in.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3126644/matias-duarte-on-android-4-1-jelly-bean-and-the-nexus-7

The long and the short of it is, he doesn't want tablet specific apps. He wants apps to use dynamic layout elements such that they respond appropriately to the DPI of the device.

The current Google+ is a good example of this. A 10.1" tablet, 7" tablet, and 4.65" phone are all going to have different layouts even though they have the same screen resolution.
Are there any non-google app examples of this working well?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

randyest posted:

Are there any non-google app examples of this working well?

Awful app, Netflix, HBO Go, Kindle, Nook, Flixter, and IMDB are a few that come to mind off the bat.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Any info on when exactly the Nexus 7 will start shipping?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Most apps made for phones stretch gracefully to fill a tablet screen. I can't think of any that are lessened by being used on a tablet.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kynetx posted:

Most apps made for phones stretch gracefully to fill a tablet screen. I can't think of any that are lessened by being used on a tablet.

What? Did this suddenly stop being a problem in the last 6 months I haven't owned an Android tablet?

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?
Twitter still looks exactly like that.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What? Did this suddenly stop being a problem in the last 6 months I haven't owned an Android tablet?

It's...beautiful :stonk:

How can an app as mainstream as Twitter look so lovely? I mean c'mon man!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Twitter has always cared as much for Android as Facebook does. I've been using Plume since Eclair, and it works in a tablet fine.

I guess you could argue that Android is poo poo because a company as popular as Twitter can't be assed to make quality software for the thing, but the only reason they had a quality iOS app is because they bought a third party developer outright, and now everyone there has switched to TweetBot since one of the various "New Twitter" relaunches.

As the fate of TweetDeck and Tweetie bore out, it turns out the life of an official app is a depressing one no matter who is in charge. Users are better served by independent software relying on an open API since features (including also posting to Facebook) aren't removed and updates seem more common. One would think being absorbed into the official Twitter menagerie would make a good app even better, but it doesn't.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 5, 2012

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Any info on when exactly the Nexus 7 will start shipping?

Somewhere around the 19th..

http://omgdroid.com/nexus-7-shipping-and-release-dates-revealed/

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Madness! How else can developers sell ExampleApp at 0.99 and ExampleApp HD at 2.50?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I... what's the problem? Does something not work?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Kynetx posted:

It looks terrible.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Kynetx posted:

It's not taking advantage of the screen real estate. There's enough space to show the full navigation, message list and the details view on the same screen, whereas the layout which hasn't been optimized will keep them compressed/separate screens. Best way to illustrate is a random screenshot of the iPad version from Image Search:

Whilst a 7 inch tablet like the Nexus 7 since can just about get away with using a smaller screen layout, larger screened Android tablets don't have that luxury since it's that much more noticeable. This is probably a key reason (aside from cost) why Google chose the form factor they did, since the Nexus 7 can easily subsist on the existing app ecosystem without too much discomfort whilst at the same time driving the adoption of tablet optimized layouts. Only time will tell if their gambit works or not.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 5, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

That version looks way cramped to me.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hmm, interesting. I'm going to be out of two for two weeks starting that Saturday. I wonder if I should just cancel my pre-order and pick it up in stores when it drops on the 27th. I won't be home until the 30th, and I don't want it to sit outside my house for a week.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Install Gentoo posted:

That version looks way cramped to me.

You can pull the slides to show more or less information.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hmm, interesting. I'm going to be out of two for two weeks starting that Saturday. I wonder if I should just cancel my pre-order and pick it up in stores when it drops on the 27th. I won't be home until the 30th, and I don't want it to sit outside my house for a week.

Is it going to be in stores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Have it delivered to your work.