Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Lucette Babette posted:

His ears made me think maybe some Yorkshire Terrier. They had to cut all his hair off when they found him because he was so matted and it's just starting to grow back in. It's very thin with just a little kink to it and it looks like it'll be long when it's grown back in.

I would go with yorkie/toy poodle ('yorkie poo' blargh) and I think you're dead on about the ears!

VVVV
Panda looks like a lab/shepherd/pit mix, and was a cute, sweet looking dog. Next time pay for your friends dog to be spayed, and adopt a puppy instead; dogs like that are a dime a dozen in shelters, and you can find a Panda lookalike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

Captain Foxy posted:

I would go with yorkie/toy poodle ('yorkie poo' blargh) and I think you're dead on about the ears!

VVVV
Panda looks like a lab/shepherd/pit mix, and was a cute, sweet looking dog. Next time pay for your friends dog to be spayed, and adopt a puppy instead; dogs like that are a dime a dozen in shelters, and you can find a Panda lookalike.

I was 14 when I got Panda. They never got her mom spayed and she unfortunately was hit by a car.

Just about 7 months ago Pan opened the front gate at the house and got hit by a truck. She died in my arms. I really miss her and I'd love to get another just like her.
She was 7 or 8 years old in those photos.

Lenaway fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 30, 2012

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Abby definitely isn't a bluetick mix because she's not ticked at all and ticking is a dominant trait. The German Shepherd is pretty clear but maybe a treeing walker hound? She's got hound-y markings. Does she do the "baroooo" hound bellow?

Dottie looks less hound-y to me, especially since she doesn't have any white. Maybe shepherd/beagle/something? She has sort of a beagle-y face and shepherd colors but with something else in the mix.

Even Walkers tend to have some ticking. Here's my pure bred (Adopted him from a shelter and his former owners left papers). You can see he has some ticking on his chest and legs.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
A fellow goon recently acquired a new dog (the previous owner was a douchebag who forced his wife to get rid of him because he would destroy the blinds when they were gone). I was curious about his makeup. Speculations include a mix of chocolate lab, pointer, dane, pit, weim? Who knows. He's 70 lbs.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I'd probably just say oversized field-type lab.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Kerfuffle posted:

Chest isn't quite right for that unless it's just an odd bit of conformation- I'd be inclined to say predominantly a lab phenotype with something pointer-ish.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Kerfuffle posted:

Nah that coat isn't right for a field lab. Sure looks like a dane mix to me, especially in the face. And look at that tail!

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.
I'm the new owner of Buster and wanted to give you guys some information the vet commented on while examining him. He's 70.8 lbs, approximately 3 years old. Vet said he looked like a lab, but head is wrong, and he's got white spots on his chest and feet that aren't usual. He also commented that his hind quarters are more muscular than usual for the breed.

In the end, it doesn't matter cause he's an adorable mush mutt, but I'm curious. He also thinks he's a 70 lb lapdog.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

I see Dane in that face, and 70lbs of muscle butt. Lab/Dane is my choice.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
So this is Terabyte, and we just picked her up today on the 4th. She's a poodlesomething? She's 3 months old and about 6-8 pounds right now. One person at the shelter said Bichon mix but I seriously doubt it. I did notice though she has webbed feet.

She is in desperate need of cleaning, but we could only do so much due to her just having been spayed.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008
Trying to determine what the breed of our newest foster dog.

The Vet has said Boxer/Lab, but other people think Pit/Boxer and Lab/Pit.

She has spent the last month+ in a shelter with minimal outside exposure, so the first thing she did when she got home... She laid in the grass!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
There seems to definitely be some boxer in there. She looks a bit brindle, which is not a lab color, so I vote for boxer/pit. If you ever rent an apartment or get homeowner's insurance, though, keep telling them boxer/lab like the vet said (and make sure that's what the vet put on her papers).

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Her tongue is amazing. It's like the size of her ears.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

Aravenna posted:

Her tongue is amazing. It's like the size of her ears.

It is amazing, and so slobbery!!

Skizzles posted:

There seems to definitely be some boxer in there. She looks a bit brindle, which is not a lab color, so I vote for boxer/pit. If you ever rent an apartment or get homeowner's insurance, though, keep telling them boxer/lab like the vet said (and make sure that's what the vet put on her papers).

We are currently fostering her along with our own 1 year old Retriever/Lab mix, we love her to death, and those two love each other. Its going to be hard to say goodbye, but she is going to make some family super happy. She is the gentle giant, and totally just wants to lay and play.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Hey guys!

So my girlfriend and I adopted a dog from the local shelter here and I was looking to get some input as to what everyone thought he might be.

Shelter told us Alaskan Husky mix and going on that I'm thinking GSD. We take him hiking all of the time and people passing by on the trails ask constantly what he is (and then offer their own suggestions). My dad is convinced that some Coyote jumped his mom one Saturday evening.

This is exactly how he moves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs9W3cUfY3E

and more importantly here are a bunch of images of him hanging about.

Let me know what you all think!
http://imgur.com/a/CiRWF
http://imgur.com/a/CiRWF#1
http://imgur.com/a/CiRWF#2
http://imgur.com/a/CiRWF#3

e: he's about 50 pounds now and around 2 years old.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 6, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I think a GSD mix is more likely than husky too. Some kind of shepherd mutt anyway. :)

also, dur, I didn't look at the coat type at all on the dane/lab doggy for some reason.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Veskit posted:

So this is Terabyte, and we just picked her up today on the 4th. She's a poodlesomething? She's 3 months old and about 6-8 pounds right now. One person at the shelter said Bichon mix but I seriously doubt it. I did notice though she has webbed feet.

She is in desperate need of cleaning, but we could only do so much due to her just having been spayed.

I really don't know how big they get or how fast, so this might be a reach, but with the popularity of "golden doodles" that is what I'm thinking, but she may be too small to fit with that. She sure is cute though! Another thought is maybe shih tzu/poodle.

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:
Cross-posting from the corgi thread..

A shelter find, my corgi/sheltie mix, Mugsy.. I'd never adopted a dog of my own before, let alone an adult (he was around 2 years when I got him), but he was very well-behaved, house-trained, and hella smart. I'm fairly certain that he posed for these pictures, too:

He even liked dressup!

I do so miss the lil nugget. :smith:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Mr Newsman posted:

Hey guys!

So my girlfriend and I adopted a dog from the local shelter here and I was looking to get some input as to what everyone thought he might be.

Shelter told us Alaskan Husky mix and going on that I'm thinking GSD. We take him hiking all of the time and people passing by on the trails ask constantly what he is (and then offer their own suggestions). My dad is convinced that some Coyote jumped his mom one Saturday evening.

This is exactly how he moves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs9W3cUfY3E

and more importantly here are a bunch of images of him hanging about.

Let me know what you all think!
http://imgur.com/a/CiRWF
http://imgur.com/a/CiRWF#1
http://imgur.com/a/CiRWF#2
http://imgur.com/a/CiRWF#3

e: he's about 50 pounds now and around 2 years old.

I'd agree that he looks sort of like a racing bred Alaskan Husky mix, like a couple I've seen from here. Maybe mixed with something finer boned and with a pointier snoot. Alaskans look a lot different from Siberian Huskies and once they're mixed who knows what they'll look like.

This dog is half racing line husky but I don't think anyone would guess that if asked.

That video really confused me at first because I thought it was actually your dog and went "wow, that actually does look like a coyote" :downs:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

mombot posted:

I really don't know how big they get or how fast, so this might be a reach, but with the popularity of "golden doodles" that is what I'm thinking, but she may be too small to fit with that. She sure is cute though! Another thought is maybe shih tzu/poodle.

I've seen a number of "Mini Goldendoodles" which weigh in at no more than 15lbs. Of course, their structure is atrocious (and their temperaments leave something to be desired) -- but they definitely can come pretty tiny. It's often a result of breeding a Golden to a small standard Poodle, then breeding THAT to a mini, and breeding THAT to a toy.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

macky2dope posted:

Cross-posting from the corgi thread..

A shelter find, my corgi/sheltie mix, Mugsy.. I'd never adopted a dog of my own before, let alone an adult (he was around 2 years when I got him), but he was very well-behaved, house-trained, and hella smart. I'm fairly certain that he posed for these pictures, too:

He even liked dressup!

I do so miss the lil nugget. :smith:

Are you sure he wasn't a purebred corgi with a long coat? That happens a lot, actually, they're called 'fluffies'.

Either way, he's soo cute. :3: Do you not have him anymore?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

a life less posted:

I've seen a number of "Mini Goldendoodles" which weigh in at no more than 15lbs. Of course, their structure is atrocious (and their temperaments leave something to be desired) -- but they definitely can come pretty tiny. It's often a result of breeding a Golden to a small standard Poodle, then breeding THAT to a mini, and breeding THAT to a toy.

What do you mean by structure and temperament?

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!

Captain Foxy posted:

Are you sure he wasn't a purebred corgi with a long coat? That happens a lot, actually, they're called 'fluffies'.

Either way, he's soo cute. :3: Do you not have him anymore?

I can't say for sure since I found him at a shelter (and he was apparently found as a stray), but his coloration, pointy face, and fluffy tail led me to believe that they were right about the sheltie part.

Unfortunately, I don't.. at my old place, there was a door that didn't latch particularly well--a former roommate apparently didn't check to make sure that it was closed all the way, and Mugsy got out after I had gone to bed. He was chipped, but had chewed off his plastic tag a few days before, and he was so effing cute that I honestly think that someone probably found and kept him. :/ And in my new place, my roommate has a pit mix who is kinda dog-aggressive, so.. I'll have to wait on getting another dog.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Veskit posted:

What do you mean by structure and temperament?

Since people so often are so crazy about tiny, cute dogs, irresponsible breeders focus on creating more tiny dogs. However, "is it small?" is just about the only question these crappy breeders ever ask themselves - not "does it move well?" "does it have a stable temperament?" or "can it survive 2 minutes outside in the winter?". Breeding larger dogs down to smaller sizes also does a number on their structure - I have a ~mini goldendoodle~ in one of my classes right now who has stubby, curved legs, no neck, and a huge head.

That's not to say that your pup will be a problem (heck, it's tough to say if that's what it is to begin with) but that just the deck tends to be stacked against dogs like this due to the greed and conceit of crappy breeders.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

a life less posted:

- I have a ~mini goldendoodle~ in one of my classes right now who has stubby, curved legs, no neck, and a huge head.

What kind of breeder actually sets off to create that?

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

SoleilEquil posted:

What kind of breeder actually sets off to create that?

ones who want money from ignorant people

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

ones who want money from ignorant people

Yup.. if it's a cute puppy, someone will buy it.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
Got some more love for Lab/Shepherds? Because everyone loves Lucy :3: Vet says she's going to max out at 40 lbs. Not sure if there's a third dog in there because she's a bit on the small size and has a white patch on her chest and some white toes. My best guess is Jack Russell. Any guessers?

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Her ears are amazing :3:.

I see Pit in the face/head. Also my first dog was Lab/Shepherd and was named Lucy.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Expression and size says JRT/Lab to me. Shepherd could be in there too, by way of lab/shepherd + JRT = Lucy, maybe?

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

Her ears are amazing :3:.

I see Pit in the face/head. Also my first dog was Lab/Shepherd and was named Lucy.

Her ears are awesome. They have "lab" mode, and "shepherd" mode. They're incredibly expressive.

Interesting you said pit because during one of our walks someone asked if she was part pit because of the white patches. I'd think pit bull terrier would make sense.... that would explain her smallish frame...although my parents had a purebred chocolate lab that was a bit on the "runty" size.

A bit of pit would also make sense with her coat...she doesn't shed much or have a double coat like a lab or a shep.

Captain Foxy posted:

Expression and size says JRT/Lab to me. Shepherd could be in there too, by way of lab/shepherd + JRT = Lucy, maybe?

We initially thought JRT because of her personality and coat. There's no doubt about the lab or shepherd parts. Incredibly smart and sociable. It's like having the best parts of those dogs. She's got a very intense attention span and is very cautious like a GSD. On the lab front, she's a big playful goof and loves everyone. She doesn't have the super webbed toes like a lab, but I hope that doesn't hold her back from loving to swim.

She's an amazing, super healthy dog... no matter what she is. :)

Tiny Faye fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 7, 2012

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
So I picked up a 2 year old Border Collie mix a little while ago and I've been debating on what he's mixed with. Perhaps you guys can help me ID the other contributions to his looks.

He's currently 55 lbs which is a bit more than an adult pure bread Border Collie I think. His head is definitely a bit more wide than my old Border Collie. The hair a little shorter, but not by much.

He has toasted bun fur that's coming out in his summer coat as well as some brown that's showing through his hind quarters. Also his tail has less long flowing hair than the old Border Collie I had plus it has a mixture of color to it as well and is kinda curled up. Oh and the tail has a kink going down right above is rear end in a top hat, then curls back up. Looks to be natural rather than an injury.

Oh and he has demon eyes. God drat demon eye genes :/

Any help would be awesome in helping me IDing Dr. Barkles other side. If more pics are requested I can provide.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 8, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

He just looks like a BYB collie to me. Do you have any photos of him standing? It's hard to ID from a front and side lying shot :shobon:

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Fraction posted:

He just looks like a BYB collie to me. Do you have any photos of him standing? It's hard to ID from a front and side lying shot :shobon:

Its hard to get him to stay still for a good photo. This, sadly, is the same angle without him laying down.

Bah that lighting is lovely. Ill possibly try to upload a small youtube clip of him later, but for now these are about all I have.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

onemanlan posted:

Its hard to get him to stay still for a good photo. This, sadly, is the same angle without him laying down.

Bah that lighting is lovely. Ill possibly try to upload a small youtube clip of him later, but for now these are about all I have.

Definitely looks like he has a good amount of Border Collie in him. Possibly some smaller breed mixed into his heritage because he looks a little small (short little legs..oh he cute).

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

That just looks like a farm-bred BC to me. Border collies are a disparate variety of types of working dogs, not just the pretty long-coated AKC champions. Some are short-haired and small, some are long-coated, shaggy and large, some are mixture of the two. Your dog could be a McNab type breeding or he could just be a random farm-bred dog, but he's probably full BC. 55lbs is well within the range.

Examples of border collies in the past:

Current farm-bred collies:

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Ah, I was not aware of how many different types of BC there were out there even having previously owned one. Good to know. Anyhow the vet seemed to think he was mixed, so that's why I've been trying to figure this out. I suppose a DNA test would be the only way to know for sure. I'm just going to pretend hes pure BC, not that it matters much. Thanks your your help guys!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

The DNA tests are by and large a scam and not at all based in reality, so you might be better off just going with that, yeah. :)

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
Meet Sweetpea, my roommates' dog. They found her when she was younger after she had somehow wandered into a Walgreen's, all skinny and sad. She's mostly pitbull, I think that much is obvious, but i have my suspicions that there's something else in there too.. any guesses? She's around 3 or 4 years old, and I'd guess 60~ lbs of pure ridiculousness. She ALWAYS wants to play. Always.

Bonus Christmas pic (I bought her this sweet outfit :3:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I see shar pei face wrinkles, but I could be wrong. He's adorable, though. :3: