Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Flippycunt posted:

At the end of the episode you see him moving into the mansion :confused:

No, he's repainting his current apartment. He decided to stay where he is, but since it's where he lived with his ex-wife, he wants to change it to not be a constant reminder. It's most definitely not that mansion at all. It doesn't look similiar or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My favorite subtle thing in Louie is when the same actress plays his mom in one episode and then his girlfriend in another one.

priznat posted:

Oh my god the Louie with Tom Noonan explaining Christ's suffering in excruciating detail was one of the most spellbinding bits of tv I've experienced in the past decade. I watched that whole thing with my jaw just hanging agape. Noonan rules.

That was one of the best episodes about religion that I've ever seen on a TV show. It wasn't proselytizing or smugging it up about how dumb religious sheeple and their invisible wizard are or taking cheap shots at safe targets like Mormons, it was just honest and human.

Farbtoner has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Jun 27, 2012

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Just checked, you're right. The last thing he says to the realtor is "I'm buying this house." so I got confused.

Anyway, my point still stands about the continuity.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Farbtoner posted:

That was one of the best episodes about religion that I've ever seen on a TV show. It wasn't proselytizing or smugging it up about how dumb religious sheeple and their invisible wizard are or taking cheap shots at safe targets like Mormons, it was just honest and human.

It was really great. I liked how the kids were acting almost exactly like real kids would too, just fidgeting and only having about 10% of what he's saying sink in, in short bursts.

I've been a huge Noonan fan since Manhunter which sadly I don't think is on Netflix :(

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Colin Smith: Class act.

Piratescurvy will probably forget to post this but:

He used to live with him, one time he was drunk and tried to (playfully) punch him and punched through a glass window.....had to go to the ER after that, ha ha. I think everyone likes his cat Jack better than him haha.....He's so mean and adorable (the cat).

nunsexmonkrock has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Jun 27, 2012

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
After seeing so many positive posts about Boy Wonder, I finally got around to watching it. It's actually really good. Don't let this lovely name or cover fool you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Frank Rossitano posted:

Except that he didn't buy the mansion. They made it pretty clear that there was no way in hell he could afford it.

I started watching Bob's Burgers after someone recommended Jon Benjamin Has a Van (which is hilarious). It's an animated thing, and seems reasonably funny. I just can't get past Sterling Archer's voice coming out of another character. It's really strange.

You might want to give Home Movies a try as well: it's from the same producer and some of the same writers as Bob's Burgers, and it also features H. Jon Benjamin:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Home_Movies/70155577?trkid=2361637

Home Movies is actually where a lot of people first heard Jon Benjamin, and for me it was something of a shock to hear him be Sterling Archer since that character looks so different from all the other fat lazy characters he usually plays.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Yeah, Home Movies is really great, you should watch it if you haven't seen it yet.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

You might want to give Home Movies a try as well: it's from the same producer and some of the same writers as Bob's Burgers, and it also features H. Jon Benjamin:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Home_Movies/70155577?trkid=2361637

Home Movies is actually where a lot of people first heard Jon Benjamin, and for me it was something of a shock to hear him be Sterling Archer since that character looks so different from all the other fat lazy characters he usually plays.

The characters definitely look familiar, but I don't think I've seen this before. I watched a couple episodes tonight and I'm liking it a lot so far. Thanks.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Just noticed that Slings & Arrows is back on instant.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just watched Pearl Jam 20, really enjoyed it.

I was a Pearl Jam fan back in the day but sort of drifted away so this was a really nice trip down nostalgia lane. Well done film, lots of interviews and classic performance snippets.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.
Here's a recommendation for Funny Games, though it's really disturbing. The 1998 version is available on instant...but something weird happened while I was watching. The mouseover thumbnails are from the remake, which is NOT available on instant:

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Finished up the following based on recommendations: ( "*" number of stars I give it based on my perceived quality of entertainment value)

** Resurrect Dead - Entertaining but I really wanted the events/objects to mean more or be tied to some significant event. Ends up just being some crazy guy's psycho-babble tagged all over the pavement across the east coast and South America. He would have been able to remain anonymous, safe and continued his crazy rantings if he just logged on to the internet. If you're a conspiracy theory nutter than you'll like this one, but there are other things to watch first.

**** Boy Wonder - Awesome movie, definitely second it. Female detective's acting is a fart circus

**** Jericho - Awesome so far. Definitely recommend if you're looking for a television show to get immersed in for awhile. Can't wait to find out who the black guy is and who he's working with/for.

***** Luther - Another awesome show, sad it's so short but it is definitely a fresh swing on the whole detective show angle. Pretty awesome how he figures out who did what almost immediately and then spends the entire episode being all loving Die Hard. The episode with the twins where he douses himself in gasoline was awesome. Wanted to see more Alice too, fish-lips was a pretty intriguing character.

*** War, Inc. - Very entertaining movie, lots of action, lots of comedy and Ben Kingsly with a southern draw accent. John Cusack plays the same person in almost every movie his in, it's a lot like Grosse Point Blank but middle eastern-y

**** Momento - Guy Pearce, half the cast from the Matrix, psychological thriller, let's do this. I like the twist at the end right when you start to figure out where the story is going.

Gonna spend today picking random stuff to watch and I'll come back with recommendations of my own. Thanks to all the goons who found these quality things to watch!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God drat it. Every one keeps saying Boy Wonder is great. I turned it off when he first fought the drug dealer cause I couldn't stop laughing at how corny everything was. I'll give it another shot, you assholes.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

hollaback grandma posted:

Here's a recommendation for Funny Games, though it's really disturbing. The 1998 version is available on instant...but something weird happened while I was watching. The mouseover thumbnails are from the remake, which is NOT available on instant:

I've seen this happen before with shows or movies that have different national releases.

protobyss posted:

*** War, Inc. - Very entertaining movie, lots of action, lots of comedy and Ben Kingsly with a southern draw accent. John Cusack plays the same person in almost every movie his in, it's a lot like Grosse Point Blank but middle eastern-y

I wasn't aware War, Inc. was up. It's one of those movies that is good but I probably like way more than I should. I generally just have a thing for movies that take place in weird distorted versions of the present.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jibo posted:

I've seen this happen before with shows or movies that have different national releases.

Yea, I have no idea how but the wires get crossed a few times when the stuff has the same title.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Volume posted:

God drat it. Every one keeps saying Boy Wonder is great. I turned it off when he first fought the drug dealer cause I couldn't stop laughing at how corny everything was. I'll give it another shot, you assholes.

3.5 from Ebert

http://rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111026/REVIEWS/111029991/0/club

The lady cop's acting is terrible though.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Volume posted:

yo this is pretty much how I felt too. I found it boring as heck, turned it off like halfway through, then saw it pop up in here like a dozen more times so now it's back on instant queue.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Jibo posted:

I wasn't aware War, Inc. was up. It's one of those movies that is good but I probably like way more than I should. I generally just have a thing for movies that take place in weird distorted versions of the present.

In The Loop is pretty decent. It is sort of like Office Space meets Wag the Dog.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Volume posted:

Same here. I got further into it and it was pretty good, though I agree about the woman who plays the detective (but her part is also not written very well to be fair).

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Volume posted:

It's pretty terrible, it's just probably the most decent low budget poo poo movie on Netflix, and there are a lot of them. The people calling it "amazing" are exaggerating. It's a good way to kill two hours if you literally have nothing else to do with your life. The story is also bullshit and does a bunch of fence sitting about vigilantism without ever making a coherent or decisive point. It's like Boondock Saints except instead of going "gently caress YEAH KILLING BAD GUYS" it just goes "killing bad guys is maybe wrong but we're not going to show any real negative consequences for it but still maybe it is bad you decide okay guys we're out."

cornface posted:

In The Loop is pretty decent. It is sort of like Office Space meets Wag the Dog.

In The Loop is fantastic.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

protobyss posted:

**** Jericho - Awesome so far. Definitely recommend if you're looking for a television show to get immersed in for awhile.

Jericho started great but they quickly lost the concept of nuclear apocalypse and it just became another small town drama; eventually they got back on track but by then it was a lame duck series that I watched with half-hearted interest. All together probably worth watching but I wouldn't put it at the top of any lists.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Being both the day of Andy Griffith's death and the eve of the 4th of July, it's a good time to mention that The Andy Griffith Show is on instant.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Goon is awesome. I've never seen a full game of hockey in my life but I enjoyed the gently caress out of that movie.

Funny too. And awesome acting job from Stiffler.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Goon is awesome. I've never seen a full game of hockey in my life but I enjoyed the gently caress out of that movie.

Funny too. And awesome acting job from Stiffler.

Agreed, the teammates are especially funny. The goalie's accent just kills me (I have relatives in Saskatchewan).

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
That Mitchell & Webb Look! It's zany! It's British! It's so British that there are jokes making fun of snooker, and the Welsh!

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

neonnoodle posted:

That Mitchell & Webb Look! It's zany! It's British! It's so British that there are jokes making fun of snooker, and the Welsh!

Also the Astounding Adventure of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar! :allears:

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

gopperhopper posted:

Nothing specific to recommend except for this site: http://instantwatcher.com/

This is exactly what I have been looking for. I don't know how long I've been trying to find a way to more easily search Netflix's catalog. Thank you!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Well, that website tells me that Norwegian Wood is available for streaming. This is a Japanese-language movie based off of a book of the same name by popular author Haruki Murakami. It was only released in a few theaters nationwide, but it did well at all the film festivals.

The story takes place in Japan in the 1960s. It's hauntingly beautiful, and the impact from the cinematography will stay with you for days. If you are ever in the mood for a quiet, delicate film about loss and depression, I highly suggest this one.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Tarsem Singh's Immortals is on netflix instant, and it's easily the gayest movie Netflix has.

I mean it, I watched the excellent Weekend, which is all about a 2 day gay hookup, and it was nowhere near as gay as Immortals.

Don't get me wrong, the fight scenes are great, and the sets are awe-inspiringly beautiful, but I have never seen a movie with so much homo-erotic tension. Every other scene contains sweaty, muscular, leather clad men brooding about each other. Even the prisoners and slaves who were being crucified/tortured in the background were all gorgeous, muscular and contorted in alluring "Come find out the real meaning of Greek love" poses.

Also, Mt. Olympus apparently shares dimensional space with Studio 54. I seriously half expected 70's David Bowie to join the Olympian's council at one point.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jibo posted:

I'm in the same boat, here.

Also, Joan Cusack is a dynamite yeller. She spends the last quarter of the film just yelling.

Weird and distorted, but totally true, Rogue Trader stars Ewan McGregor as futures fraudster Nick Leeson, who in the 1990's, single-handedly brought down Barings Bank--England's oldest financial institution--though high-risk speculative trading in Singapore.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Apparently Raising Arizona was added this week. I'm sure I'm in a very small minority but it is my favorite Cohen Brothers film.

Also Zeitgeist is out for all you :tinfoil: people.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Saw last night that The Inbetweeners is up, series one and two. It's a great English teenage cringe comedy series. Give it a try.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Tarsem Singh's Immortals is on netflix instant, and it's easily the gayest movie Netflix has.

I mean it, I watched the excellent Weekend, which is all about a 2 day gay hookup, and it was nowhere near as gay as Immortals.

Don't get me wrong, the fight scenes are great, and the sets are awe-inspiringly beautiful, but I have never seen a movie with so much homo-erotic tension. Every other scene contains sweaty, muscular, leather clad men brooding about each other. Even the prisoners and slaves who were being crucified/tortured in the background were all gorgeous, muscular and contorted in alluring "Come find out the real meaning of Greek love" poses.

Also, Mt. Olympus apparently shares dimensional space with Studio 54. I seriously half expected 70's David Bowie to join the Olympian's council at one point.

I second the recommendation, if only because there's nothing else quite like it out there. Immortals is a pretty cool movie but if you go in expecting a 300-come-lately you're probably going to be disappointed, it's this weird, openly anachronistic (rebar cages and spray-painted plastic armor) meditation on myths that just happens to also have some badass fight scenes. I enjoyed it but even though it was an expensive movie it still looks cheap in a lot of places, and the whole thing feels really cramped in a way that other green-screen movies like 300 and Sin City don't seem as guilty of.

Inversely, the guy who directed it also directed the cult movie The Fall and people like me who were fans of its visuals are probably going to be disappointed at how sparse the fantastic imagery is in comparison. If the whole movie could have been as amazing as those fleeting moments of visual brilliance I think my head would have exploded.

Jibo posted:

Apparently Raising Arizona was added this week. I'm sure I'm in a very small minority but it is my favorite Cohen Brothers film.

Also Zeitgeist is out for all you :tinfoil: people.

poo poo yes. Everyone should see Raising Arizona, it's the funniest movie about child abduction I've ever seen.

Farbtoner has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Jul 6, 2012

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Netflix on demand says Breaking Bad seasons 1-4, but when I click it all I see are the four seasons I've already watched! Why netflix?!

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Tom Tucker posted:

Netflix on demand says Breaking Bad seasons 1-4, but when I click it all I see are the four seasons I've already watched! Why netflix?!

That was a dirty trick. :argh:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Tom Tucker posted:

It's strange that Netflix can't cut the same deals as Amazon on some of this stuff. Breaking Bad season 4 and Sons of Anarchy season 4 have been on Prime for weeks, while Netflix seems to start streaming around the same time the DVD is released.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's pretty terrible, it's just probably the most decent low budget poo poo movie on Netflix, and there are a lot of them. The people calling it "amazing" are exaggerating. It's a good way to kill two hours if you literally have nothing else to do with your life. The story is also bullshit and does a bunch of fence sitting about vigilantism without ever making a coherent or decisive point. It's like Boondock Saints except instead of going "gently caress YEAH KILLING BAD GUYS" it just goes "killing bad guys is maybe wrong but we're not going to show any real negative consequences for it but still maybe it is bad you decide okay guys we're out."

Way to miss the point.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The Southern Dandy posted:

Way to miss the point.

Please don't explain it any further, your snide rear end in a top hat comment says plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.
Okay, I'll explain if it's complicated. The point is that vigilante justice is completely necessary in a system that can't/won't supply justice.

It's like Death Wish, with less Charles Bronson, but a bit smarter. No need to get petty.

• Locked thread