Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The new edition sounds pretty cool. Does it seem like overwatch actually has much of an impact on how the game plays out?

With large units that can put out 30+ shots it will probably have some reliable impact, you'll score 5 hits on average, which is okay, and if it's a longish charge killing 1 guy can make or break the range. For most others though, I'd say it's certainly a nice bonus, but not really greatly game altering. A Guard blob or big unit of Shootaz is going to be dangerous though.

Fun oversight: Dire Avengers can technically Bladestorm then Overwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
60 shots, 10 hits, 5 wounds, maybe 2 dead marines. Even 30 shoota boys aren't going to kill that much on Overwatch and people really put too much stock in it.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I had "that moment" today where I was lucky enough to roll double 1 when saving 2 Terminators against a Wall of Flame overwatch attack. I then rolled 9 for the charge range, 1" short of the unit I wanted to charge since my two guys at the front got killed. I would have been in range if not for that, but that's the way it goes sometimes I guess.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I do get the feeling that people are overreacting to overwatch. A lot of discussion of Tyranids (or any assault army) go on about how they will fail the charge due to casualties from overwatch, but a swarm of Hormagaunts getting shot up by a regular space marine tactical squad will only see the loss of about 2 models on average. That really isn't terribly scary, I doubt we will see many games when assaults fail from overwatch wounds, unless people are charging with squads in odd formations.

Edit: Fiiiine, beat me and say the exact opposite of what I said :v:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I don't know how it took me this long to realise (yes I do, I almost never build a kit with just the contents of the box) but the Lootas/Burnas box comes with a Rokkit Launcha but no support arm. You are supposed to use the arm from the Boyz box apparently.

What sort of horseshit is that? There goes my free tankbusta in every box of Lootas or Boyz plan.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Wildey posted:

I'm curious about what kind of list you were running, and what kind of list they had.

For the 750 list I had 2 winged Hive Tyrants 2 squads of 10 hormagaunts with both upgrades, and a third squad of hormagaunts with no upgrades. He had 2 squads of 10 Warriors, 1 squad of 5 Immortals, 1 squad of Deathmarks he held in reserve, an Annhilation Barge, a Lord with a Warscythe and a cryptek with some upgrades that I don't think every came into play.

I chose to go second, and my hope was once my tyrants flew out of synapse range, I'd be able to get Rage and follow in after them, after they had caused 2 rounds worth of damage. It ended up that since Necrons have a 24" range on everything, and with twin-linked Tesla weapons that add extra hits on a 6, Swooping was pretty worthless against them. One of my Tyrants died on turn 1 from focus firing. The other one I charged into combat with his immortal squad which had the Destroyer Lord, but got stuck in combat for 3 player turns because reanimation protocols and their Leadership 10 made it hard to finish them off. So obviously while all that was going on, my gaunts were getting destroyed and the game was over by the end of turn 3.

For the 1000 point list I just made a max-sized group of Tyranid Shrikes with max upgrades, a venomthrope, and a Swarmlord with Invisibility power and that went about as well as you would expect. He had the same force as above except with a squad of Destroyers and he bumped up his warriors to 20 per squad. I thought I was being clever because Necrons don't have much Strength 8 or above, and my Shrikes would be getting a 2+ cover save and then they could multi-assault and then my Swarmlord would come up from behind, and... But Deathmarks came and took out the venomthrope, Destroyers were able to take out my Swarmlord, and my Shrikes weren't able to assault after Overwatch took out the front-most model. Necron's Overwatch with Rapid Fire guns is pretty ridiculous.

My lists didn't contain Hive Guard, Zoanthropes, or Tervigons, which is the basis for a 'good list', but it was just an opportunity to see a lot of the changes in 6th edition, and at no point did I identify anything that positively affected me.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PeterWeller posted:

Every finecast model I've bought has been flawless and I like that they don't fall apart if I drop them.

I, on the other hand, just opened a Necron Overlord this afternoon and had to take it back to the shop because it was missing chunks of the model and the staff was badly bent in one place and snapped off when I pulled it out of the package. The Cryptek I bought as well was all right, but was missing the tip of pretty much every surface that came to a point and even after spending 45 minutes cleaning it up I'm still going to have to putty in a bunch of bubbles. The only reason I didn't take that one back as well is because I've got an event coming up.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Bought Logan Grimnar a week ago and the only problem I could find was the ring below his belt had a small bubble that can be filled with liquid greenstuff. v:shobon:v

EDIT: Except for Arjac, most Space Wolf models seem to have made the transition to Finecast nicely.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 6, 2012

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

kannonfodder posted:

I do get the feeling that people are overreacting to overwatch. A lot of discussion of Tyranids (or any assault army) go on about how they will fail the charge due to casualties from overwatch, but a swarm of Hormagaunts getting shot up by a regular space marine tactical squad will only see the loss of about 2 models on average. That really isn't terribly scary, I doubt we will see many games when assaults fail from overwatch wounds, unless people are charging with squads in odd formations.

Edit: Fiiiine, beat me and say the exact opposite of what I said :v:

Really I think the concern with Overwatch is that it's got the potential to be a vector for annoying units. Can't wait for the first codex to come out with a unit that Overwatches at full BS. Same for the arrival of FNP 4+ and 3+ guys.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
A whole bunch of tau units dissappeared from the GW website today. I can't find Shadowsun or some of the tau stealth units/chars I was looking at yesterday.

Does this mean they are likely being finecasted?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I can't believe people hate change that much.

"MAN! They're gonna come out with armies that have unique strenghts? loving Matt Ward, amirite?"

Edit:
Thanks phone. I should check my typing next time.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 6, 2012

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

bhsman posted:

Bought Logan Grimnar a week ago and the only problem I could find was the ring below his belt had a small bubble that can be filled with liquid greenstuff. v:shobon:v

Yeah because when I buy any product on earth ever, the first thing I expect to do when opening the package is repair what is inside. It's totally normal, so no biggie.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I can't believe property hate change that much.

"MAN! They're gonna come out with armies that have unique strenghts? loving Matt Ward, amirite?"

Mat Ward doesn't really do "unique strengths" exactly. He takes stuff from existing armies, makes it way better, and puts it in other army codices instead with a new name. Eldar skimmers that immune to melta? How about marine skimmers that are immune to melta and have a higher AV as well! Dark eldar flyby attacks? How about necron flyby attacks that work way better and ignore armor! Tyranid MCs being relatively prevalent and a famous feature of the army? How about way cheaper MCs for both GK and Necrons, and also they're generally just better!

That's why expandable FNP is going to eventually be irritating. Plague marines with FNP 4+? How about Plaguebearers with FNP 3+?

Edit: I think the most galling thing is that the insanely good Necron and GK MCs are in such rich beds of good stuff that people don't even bother taking them. Compare the embarassment of riches that is a recent Mat Ward codex to Cruddace's tyranids, and it's like going on a shopping spree in a treasure vault compared to going on a shopping spree in an active minefield. Whoops, I accidentally took DCAs, they're only incredibly awesome, not unfairly awesome.

Honestly, I like Ward's rules, I just wish he'd knock off the eldar cribbing and also write every book, or at least do a pass on every book so that the numbers are all to his standards.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 6, 2012

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yeah because when I buy any product on earth ever, the first thing I expect to do when opening the package is repair what is inside. It's totally normal, so no biggie.

Mold lines, flash, and gaps aren't exactly new.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

theironjef posted:

That's why expandable FNP is going to eventually be irritating. Plague marines with FNP 4+? How about Plaguebearers with FNP 3+?

Don't forget the eventual vanilla Space Marines with FNP 2+, because you can't have a non-loyalist army with something better!

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

theironjef posted:

Really I think the concern with Overwatch is that it's got the potential to be a vector for annoying units. Can't wait for the first codex to come out with a unit that Overwatches at full BS. Same for the arrival of FNP 4+ and 3+ guys.

FNP 3+ is already here with Epidemius.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Looking for advice on Tau, since I have ADD when it comes to 40k.

With flyer possibly making a large impact on the game do any of you expect to see TL-Missle pods more than Plasma/Pod/Multitracker combo?

Two TL-BS3 shots get more hits on average than three BS3 shots. With charge ranges increasing, slower transports moving flatout and rapid fire threatening longer distances do you think it's worth the extra ~19pts per suit to try and jump close to shoot four shots?

It seems Stelek is under the impression that TL-Missile Pods are a better loadout not only for keeping a larger gap but also for getting re-rolls VS fliers.

I'm a total noob at tau (and 6th) so I am asking for some opinions.

Also, here are two lists I whipped up.

Plasma Rifle/Missile Pod/Multi Tracker list:

TL-Missile Pod list:

I allied Orks because they are almost best buddies and I couldn't stomach spending points on Kroot. Also Nob Bikers are a lot better now. 5++/5+FNP all your lascannons and powerfists :frogc00l:

The plasma rifle list has a better chance against terminators and power armor, of which there is no shortage. It's probably worth a bsf on the commander, too. The gun drone will achieve nothing, other than maybe getting shot to save the commander a wound, which might help out in against lascannons.

Against air, it looks like markers won't help much, but at least the railguns a broadsides are twinlinked, and you have a bunch.

I'd swap the orky bits of the list out for less bikes and cannons, and more boys. I could ask my ork-playing friend how many boys 400 points could buy, but I think it's a depressingly large number.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kaysette posted:

shitload of pewter space nuns!

I sent an email a while ago - did that reach you?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Are there any rumors on Flak Missiles being FAQ'd into any existing army lists? Kind of dumb putting them into the main rule book and then not adding them into any army lists. Or did I miss out about these (don't have the book yet)?

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
With regards to the allies rules, there's one thing I have to wonder: Why are Space Marines better allies with the Tau than the Sisters of Battle? I can understand the IG being friends with pretty much every race save the Tau, but the Sisters of Battle only really have IG/Sisters as a Battle Siblings combination.

I doubt it will stop me from getting my hands on the latest rulebook and building a Space Marines(Deathwatch)/Sisters army, but still.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I really hope Flakk isn't just a thing that gets added to regular guns without any real drawback, especially one that is already as versatile as the missile launcher. It needs to be a tactical choice, I'm so glad they didn't just throw it in as a third firing option for all missile launchers.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Miles O'Brian posted:

I really hope Flakk isn't just a thing that gets added to regular guns without any real drawback, especially one that is already as versatile as the missile launcher. It needs to be a tactical choice, I'm so glad they didn't just throw it in as a third firing option for all missile launchers.

I agree, and I play Space Wolves. Giving Long Fangs easy anti-air for free would honestly be ridiculous.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trollhawke posted:

With regards to the allies rules, there's one thing I have to wonder: Why are Space Marines better allies with the Tau than the Sisters of Battle? I can understand the IG being friends with pretty much every race save the Tau, but the Sisters of Battle only really have IG/Sisters as a Battle Siblings combination.

I doubt it will stop me from getting my hands on the latest rulebook and building a Space Marines(Deathwatch)/Sisters army, but still.

Because people get nervous when the inquisition turns up. The GK and the SoB are duplicitous and usually have ulterior motives when they participate in Astartes battles/affairs. Nobody trusts the space inquisition.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Discospawn posted:

My lists didn't contain Hive Guard, Zoanthropes, or Tervigons, which is the basis for a 'good list', but it was just an opportunity to see a lot of the changes in 6th edition, and at no point did I identify anything that positively affected me.

First off, your lists both sucked. They really, really sucked. You probably just made Neph and Corrode kill themselves. That's how sucky those lists were. You know 6E buffed shooting relative to 5E, but you decided to run unsupported assault units at a gunline anyway. That was a poor decision in any edition.

Second, your opponent may have been cheating. Twenty warriors are 260 points all on their own.

Trollhawke posted:

All the disparate Imperial factions hate each other to some extent or another. They may be all loyal to the Emperor and charged with protecting mankind, but they answer to different masters and have different opinions about what constitutes a threat to mankind. More specifically, the Space Marines have a very strained relationship with the Imperial Cult. The Cult considers the Marines' religious practices to be barely tolerated heresies.

The reasons why Marines and Tau are bros are less clear, but if we take Marines to mean Ultramarines, then two things come to mind. One, they've worked together against the Tyranids on a number of occasions. And two, Ultramar is almost its own private empire-within-the-empire, and it seems less oppressive and more progressive than the rest of the Imperium, so maybe Calgar is engaged in his own foreign policy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Unless you're the Dark Angels.

The chapter with a 50% Chaos defection rate is chummier with Inquisition than the Black Templars. Who only get the weakest-of-friends with the Sisters, who are the WNBA Black Templars anyway.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Someone convince me to finish my Grey Knights and not re-boot my motherfucking Space Sharks :rock:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Red Robin Hood posted:

Someone convince me to finish my Grey Knights and not re-boot my motherfucking Space Sharks :rock:

Don't touch your Grey Knights and continue working on your motherfucking Space Sharks.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

moths posted:

The chapter with a 50% Chaos defection rate is chummier with Inquisition than the Black Templars. Who only get the weakest-of-friends with the Sisters, who are the WNBA Black Templars anyway.
Exactly... which NBA team would be happy having women on their team?

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

Red Robin Hood posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone do that? Motherfucking Space Sharks are the way to go.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
gently caress you guys :argh:

Tell me about the price increase and about how my girlfriend will accuse me of cheating because I'll be at my local shop all day after work!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Red Robin Hood posted:

Tell me about the price increase and about how my girlfriend will accuse me of cheating because I'll be at my local shop all day after work!

But on the bright side, you'll be fielding motherfucking SPACE SHARKS.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Red Robin Hood posted:

I'm still disappointed in you for giving up on your Reaver Dark Eldar.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm guessing space sharks are just like waterlogged space wolves or something?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of running my minotaurs as space wolves just so I can have a squad of longhorns.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hey, thanks so much for the heads up about the Furioso Dread. The skull theme is what I am going for, so that saves me a bunch of money and time dealing with resin.

Apparently, starting a Space Marine army seems to be my good luck charm, because I just won a sprue of 5 Space Wolves from the oath thread. Combine this with my Space Wolves accessory sprue that I bought off of GW last year and I have a bunch of SW bits lying around. (just a quick explaination for the SW accessory sprue. I was modeling Dark Eldar just because I wanted to paint a few things, and DE looked cool. Anyway, I was reading the codex, and it mentioned that they hosed with some Space Wolves and I decided that a captured, tortured, and controlled "pet" space wolf would be great for a beastmaster. So, I got the accessory sprue, built the torso and legs, and ordered a plastic wolfman head, and a werewolf arm pack, and tried to build a Werewolf marine. It worked well, but, I never got around to painting it, and the head ended up going missing. I still have all the rest though.)

Anyway, this is good news because next months oath seems to be filled, model wise, which means that I can probably pick up the BA codex. The only tricky part will be dicking around with the SW marines until they look like they enjoy trophies, rather than look like I am making an army out of SW, DA, and BA marines. (It will be tricky, but I think I can do it.)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

bhsman posted:

Mold lines, flash, and gaps aren't exactly new.

But missing chunks are; but you are right, I should just pay more while getting inferior product and be happy about it, just because!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

poo poo were your SPACE SHARKS the awesome Samoan themed ones?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

moths posted:

The Sisters of Battle aren't part of the Inquisition. And the secret of the Fallen Angels is just that: a secret.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They got shoveled in with the Ordo Hereticus under Codex: Witch Hunters. Even though they were still technically part of the Ecclesiarchy, sharing a codex and force org made them synonymous.

e: And I LOVED back when Cypher was able to ally with loyalist guard who weren't allowed to know that he could possibly be anything other than one of those legendary Space Marines their grandpappys told them about.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
It'd be a lot easier to just execute the guardsmen instead of hoping the explanation holds up.

• Locked thread