Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it
So, I'm about to get a GS3, and I'd like to get rid of the samsung touchwiz bloat. What's the best way to go about getting a stock ICS like experience on the verizon GS3? I've been browsing through xda, but the place is a freaking mess, and it would help if someone could point me in the right direction. Is there any way to root and just remove the touchwiz apps/mods, or do I need to flash a new rom entirely? If so what is the most stable ICS rom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I think I may have killed my Tmobile galaxy tab SGH-T849. I can see it via ./adb devices in terminal but I cannot boot into recovery or download mode. What can I do from here?

^^^^^^ I am using the diet rom with launcherpro with my ATT SG3 and its been smooth sailing so far.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WebDO posted:

So I think this weekend I want to bite the bullet and go for an unlock/root/JB spree on my Galaxy Nexus. I know to use the wugfresh tool for the unlock/root, but have no clue where to go from there, nor which site/forums I should use.
Here's a link to the wugfresh toolkit. It's fairly self-explanatory to use and while I've never used it, I walked a friend through using it just the other day.

WebDO posted:

For example, I don't know what to do to make a nandroid, nor when I am supposed to make one (after rooting and having the tool install CWM Recovery, right?)
A nandroid is a backup in recovery. You can boot to recovery and select "Backup" and that's it, you're done. You should make one whenever you're about to flash anything. It's basically a restore point that you can go back to if it goes tits up.

WebDO posted:

Without root, Titanium can't back up much can it? I don't really care about game data, but it might be handy to save some texts.
Titanium can't back up anything without root. But one, you can use the toolkit to backup the phone using ADB before you unlock the bootloader and possibly wipe the phone and two, you can backup and restore your SMS and call logs using these two apps without root.

WebDO posted:

Any input would be appreciated, I am still horrendously new to this and the only other phone I unlocked/rooted was a Droid X via a one click method, and I moved on to the GNex before playing with ROMs
Nothing really to add except to ask if you have an HSPA+ or Verizon Galaxy Nexus? Jelly Bean on the HSPA+ version works great but it sure doesn't seem to perfect on the Verizon version.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Zero VGS posted:

I need to get some kind of medal for the amount of phones I've installed CM7 or CM9 on:

T-959
T-959S
T-989
LG OV
LG OS
LG G2X
LGE739
Nook Color
Exhibit II
OG Verizon Droid (gave up; gently caress that phone)

I work in IT and everyone at my work knows I can't turn down modding their phones for free because I have a masochism fetish apparently. Somehow I've never permanently bricked any of them, and even unbricked the G2X when it was toast to begin with from someone else loving up. So I guess I've pretty much done all of Tmobile's back-catalog if anyone needs any help with those.

I don't blame you. I think rooting devices is really fun. I'm weak though. I've only rooted an HTC One S, Inspire 4G, and DROID Incredible 2.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

snowman posted:

So, I'm about to get a GS3, and I'd like to get rid of the samsung touchwiz bloat. What's the best way to go about getting a stock ICS like experience on the verizon GS3? I've been browsing through xda, but the place is a freaking mess, and it would help if someone could point me in the right direction. Is there any way to root and just remove the touchwiz apps/mods, or do I need to flash a new rom entirely? If so what is the most stable ICS rom?

There aren't any mods for the verizon GS3 yet. It literally just came out. Give it a few days.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I went to Amon-RA and never looked back but now that I'm on the Galaxy Nexus I've stuck with the non-touch CWR since I got it. I'm going with "if it ain't broke..."
What sort of issues did you have? I have been using it and my problem is that I get errors when flashing anything from the Rom Manager app. Flashing by selecting zips in the recovery itself works fine.

e: VV Eeerp! Sorry I didn't read your post properly :downs:

give me thread fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 5, 2012

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Here's a link to the wugfresh toolkit. It's fairly self-explanatory to use and while I've never used it, I walked a friend through using it just the other day.
A nandroid is a backup in recovery. You can boot to recovery and select "Backup" and that's it, you're done. You should make one whenever you're about to flash anything. It's basically a restore point that you can go back to if it goes tits up.
Titanium can't back up anything without root. But one, you can use the toolkit to backup the phone using ADB before you unlock the bootloader and possibly wipe the phone and two, you can backup and restore your SMS and call logs using these two apps without root.
Nothing really to add except to ask if you have an HSPA+ or Verizon Galaxy Nexus? Jelly Bean on the HSPA+ version works great but it sure doesn't seem to perfect on the Verizon version.

Thank you very much for the info. I am tragically trapped on the VZW, and due to the bugs in ICS on it I can't even really use it for LTE without my battery committing suicide and my phone deciding it would rather spend more time disconnected from all mobile networks than to try and find one. I kind of hoped the new stuff that came in JB might also include better handling of the CDMA/LTE switch behavior so I can actually use the high speed data for which I pay.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Looks like people are already talking about cyanogenmod 10. Should be coming to all devices that get 9.

Guess they're going to wait until they have a stable build for 9 before they start work on 10. Shouldn't take long though since 4.1 isn't a major update.

http://phandroid.com/2012/07/05/cyanogenmod-10-will-probably-come-to-all-cyanogenmod-9-devices/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

give me thread posted:

What sort of issues did you have? I have been using it and my problem is that I get errors when flashing anything from the Rom Manager app. Flashing by selecting zips in the recovery itself works fine.
I don't use ROM Manager. On my Nexus One I had the problems I described. It would fail to backup and destroy EXT partitions on the SD card (needed for A2SD) and sometimes backups were simply unrestorable. 5.5.0.2 has been fine for me on the Galaxy Nexus and it does everything I want it to do except mount storage.

WebDO posted:

Thank you very much for the info. I am tragically trapped on the VZW, and due to the bugs in ICS on it I can't even really use it for LTE without my battery committing suicide and my phone deciding it would rather spend more time disconnected from all mobile networks than to try and find one. I kind of hoped the new stuff that came in JB might also include better handling of the CDMA/LTE switch behavior so I can actually use the high speed data for which I pay.
Even on 4.0.4 you're having these issues? There's not going to be an improvement on the hacked-together Verizon builds because they use the same radio that's in the 4.0.4 build.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

TheRevolution1 posted:

There aren't any mods for the verizon GS3 yet. It literally just came out. Give it a few days.

Sorry, I'm new to smartphones and rooting, that makes sense, I should've realized. I just assumed since the international version has been out a while there might be some stuff that someone ported over already, like how jellybean roms came out for the nexus during google I/O.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I don't use ROM Manager. On my Nexus One I had the problems I described. It would fail to backup and destroy EXT partitions on the SD card (needed for A2SD) and sometimes backups were simply unrestorable. 5.5.0.2 has been fine for me on the Galaxy Nexus and it does everything I want it to do except mount storage.
Even on 4.0.4 you're having these issues? There's not going to be an improvement on the hacked-together Verizon builds because they use the same radio that's in the 4.0.4 build.

I went through 3 sims and 3 phones. VZW had to open an NRB ticket, and their 'resolution' was "device software issue". The techs claim that the fix has to come from Samsung, but all the forums that talked about that issue on 4.0.2 said it was an error in the ICS build, and apparently VZW is feeding me the line that it's still an error in the current ICS build.

Edit: Wugfresh's tool is incredible and I am now at least unlocked and rooted. I'm now half way to being an actual Nexus owner!

WebDO fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 6, 2012

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

My girlfriend has a Nexus S that the power button has died on. (6 weeks out of warranty) In order to try to bypass it we want to root it so we can remap the buttons more effectively than you can without root. I can get into fastboot mode with either adb reboot fastboot or pulling the battery and hitting the volume up button when I put it back in. The problem is the phone doesn't seem to respond to the buttons, it just stays frozen with the fastboot screen up. The computer doesn't recognize any USB device at this point and obviously fastboot.exe can't see it. It is on 4.0.4 so I can't use one of the root exploits to do this without flashing from a bootloader. Is there some method I am missing to either make fastboot work or root the phone with adb?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

My girlfriend has a Nexus S that the power button has died on. (6 weeks out of warranty) In order to try to bypass it we want to root it so we can remap the buttons more effectively than you can without root. I can get into fastboot mode with either adb reboot fastboot or pulling the battery and hitting the volume up button when I put it back in. The problem is the phone doesn't seem to respond to the buttons, it just stays frozen with the fastboot screen up. The computer doesn't recognize any USB device at this point and obviously fastboot.exe can't see it. It is on 4.0.4 so I can't use one of the root exploits to do this without flashing from a bootloader. Is there some method I am missing to either make fastboot work or root the phone with adb?
I've never heard of it working in adb and not fastboot. To be clear, when you're in the bootloader and type fastboot devices from the command line it says nothing's connected?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

snowman posted:

I just assumed since the international version has been out a while there might be some stuff that someone ported over already, like how jellybean roms came out for the nexus during google I/O.
Despite the name and looks, the international SGS3 and US SGS3 (which itself is actually five different models) are completely different phones. In fact, about the only thing they have in common in the screen, looks, and TouchWiz. Otherwise the US SGS3 actually has more in common with the US HTC One X and One S.

That said, the US SGS3 is a really solid device and better than the international model in some ways. CM9 support for the AT&T and Sprint models is coming along nicely for being a brand new device. There's been no public releases yet, but I'd expect something in the next two weeks or so.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge none of the CM developers has a Verizon SGS3 yet. It shouldn't be terribly hard to support, but until one comes along, there probably won't be any releases for it.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I've never heard of it working in adb and not fastboot. To be clear, when you're in the bootloader and type fastboot devices from the command line it says nothing's connected?

Yep, doesn't show anything as connected unlike adb devices when I am booted up. I can see the Android Composite ADB Interface in Device Manager when booted into Android but nothing while on the fastboot screen.

edit: I am using the drivers from the PdaNet installer like recommended in a number of websites. Somehow I doubt that is the problem since the phone is unresponsive, but is there an alternative for the bootloader driver than I can download somewhere?

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 6, 2012

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I rooted my EVO LTE but I noticed that the contact pics in my text messages won't show up and I don't know if it's a result from my rooting. The contact pictures are still there in my contacts (linked to Facebook) but not my texts. Anyone else know about this and if there is a fix?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Right, so the CWM took and I'm permanent, but when I tried to restore my app data I believe it made a few booboos. For one, none of my images were actually restored to the galaxy. Evernote now has a folder to which it cannot write (generating database errors) which I can't delete in EStrongs with root permissions/etc. What went wrong in the restore and how can I fix this?

I can rename the evernote folder, it is listed as read/writable, but I cannot delete it. No clue what the hell is up.

WebDO fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 6, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yep, doesn't show anything as connected unlike adb devices when I am booted up. I can see the Android Composite ADB Interface in Device Manager when booted into Android but nothing while on the fastboot screen.

edit: I am using the drivers from the PdaNet installer like recommended in a number of websites. Somehow I doubt that is the problem since the phone is unresponsive, but is there an alternative for the bootloader driver than I can download somewhere?
Sorry, I wouldn't know. I haven't hosed with a driver since dumping Windows. The good news is that it's definitely a driver issue and once that's sorted out you should be good to go.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Sorry, I wouldn't know. I haven't hosed with a driver since dumping Windows. The good news is that it's definitely a driver issue and once that's sorted out you should be good to go.

Just checked and it doesn't work on a my macbook pro, same thing happens, not recognized by fastboot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Just checked and it doesn't work on a my macbook pro, same thing happens, not recognized by fastboot.
You do have the Mac version of fastboot? It's not included with the ADB download by default.

I'll tell you this, plugging in the wife's Nexus S just worked on my Air with no other fiddling beyond dropping fastboot into the platform-tools folder of ADB.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

LastInLine posted:

You do have the Mac version of fastboot? It's not included with the ADB download by default.

I'll tell you this, plugging in the wife's Nexus S just worked on my Air with no other fiddling beyond dropping fastboot into the platform-tools folder of ADB.

The version I have works fine to fastboot images onto my Kindle Fire.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The version I have works fine to fastboot images onto my Kindle Fire.
I'll admit that you're at the limit of my knowledge but it sounds to me like the phone is broken. Hopefully someone will have something else you can try. :(

vvv He's tried that, and tried on a Mac where the drivers shouldn't matter.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 6, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Install PDAnet. It's sorcery with Windows ADB drivers. If that doesn't work then give up. :v:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are there currently any solid recommended ROMs for the OneXL out at the moment? I'm thinking about buying one, and am keen to do this to get Google Now on to it. This will be my first Android device (and obviously first time rooting a phone) so not keen on dicking around with ROMs that break functions etc etc, but my searches haven't been able to find much for the non-quad core version of the X.

e: unless someone's come up with a way to get Now without running a new ROM, I don't really mind Sense.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Google Now on ICS is pretty broken. It makes a bunch of API calls that don't exist in ICS so basic things like voice are broken on top of other instabilities.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
drat :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
On Verizon, which phone has better custom Roms? The Incredible or Fascinate?

I know they're both fairly popular to rom makers, but I'm looking for the one that has the best CM9/ICS rom.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Hey guys, tried to root and install 4.1 today and everything is great except I have one small problem... I tried flashing the radio and then the new OS but I didn't realize that the zip file for the radio had another zip inside it so it didn't install correctly.

After the phone booted back up I fixed the zip file and re flashed the radio update again but I'm still not getting any signal or my phone is not recognizing my Verizon account. I used ROM Manager and made a back up of my old ROM in case I need to re do all of this? I'm hoping I just did something dumb but I can't figure it out does anyone have any suggestions or do I need to give more information?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

smarion2 posted:

Hey guys, tried to root and install 4.1 today and everything is great except I have one small problem... I tried flashing the radio and then the new OS but I didn't realize that the zip file for the radio had another zip inside it so it didn't install correctly.

After the phone booted back up I fixed the zip file and re flashed the radio update again but I'm still not getting any signal or my phone is not recognizing my Verizon account. I used ROM Manager and made a back up of my old ROM in case I need to re do all of this? I'm hoping I just did something dumb but I can't figure it out does anyone have any suggestions or do I need to give more information?
You didn't try to install a GSM radio file, did you?

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

ilkhan posted:

You didn't try to install a GSM radio file, did you?

No I picked the Verizon one. I just picked up another 4.1 ROM that didn't have to be flashed with two different zips and I'm still getting the same problem...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

On Verizon, which phone has better custom Roms? The Incredible or Fascinate?

I know they're both fairly popular to rom makers, but I'm looking for the one that has the best CM9/ICS rom.
The Fascinate, broken as it is, has the hardware to run Ice Cream Sandwich whereas the Incredible simply doesn't.

That said, neither is a phone I'd want to use in 2012.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Ok this is what I'm doing. I download Rom Manager and put this file in one of my root folders on my device. I then do a full wipe and back up my old rom and delete the dalvik cache from ROM Manager.

I install the .zip from recovery mode and when I reboot only my WiFi works I don't get any radio or LTE signal.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

smarion2 posted:

Ok this is what I'm doing. I download Rom Manager and put this file in one of my root folders on my device. I then do a full wipe and back up my old rom and delete the dalvik cache from ROM Manager.

I install the .zip from recovery mode and when I reboot only my WiFi works I don't get any radio or LTE signal.
ROMs generally don't include the radio. If you hosed up the radio, you need to flash the radio.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

LastInLine posted:

ROMs generally don't include the radio. If you hosed up the radio, you need to flash the radio.

I just tried flashing the radio again but not getting anything. Just found this on another web site

code:
Verizon version- [b]LTE may stop working with this[/b]

Download the ROM
    Do a full wipe
    Flash the ROM
    Flash SuperSU.
    You're done!
I'm not sure how to go about Flashing SuperSU after Flashing the ROM. Did anyone else read that LTE may stop working maybe its just my phone and I need to wait a bit for another update?

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

LastInLine posted:

The Fascinate, broken as it is, has the hardware to run Ice Cream Sandwich whereas the Incredible simply doesn't
My 3 year old incredible is sporting a custom ICS build (AOKP), and I don't really see anything terrible performance-wise. Though it's my first and only experience with an Android phone so that could be pure ignorance.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Butterflysmasher posted:

My 3 year old incredible is sporting a custom ICS build (AOKP), and I don't really see anything terrible performance-wise. Though it's my first and only experience with an Android phone so that could be pure ignorance.
4.0.1 needs at least 512MB of RAM and a healthy amount of space in the /system partition and the Inc is right up against both (512/512). Even if they trimmed Ice Cream Sandwich down enough that it fits those two requirements, I doubt the Qualcomm 8650 really has enough oomph to make running it a pleasurable experience.

The SGS series we know can run it and run it well since the Nexus S does so.

blackmage
Sep 9, 2006
I have an original Galaxy S Captivate, running CM 7.2.0. Ever since I first installed Cyanogen, back in March or so (I think it was 7.1.something at the time), I haven't been able to send or receive picture messages (MMS?). Texting is otherwise fine, mostly, but I can't do pics.

I've called Rogers and had the basic CS check my account to make sure everything was set up properly, but didn't go on to the next tier TS because I'm not sure what they'll say/do if it comes to light that I've modded my phone, if they'll refuse CS or worse.

I've looked through all the SMS/MMS settings I can find, to no avail. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong, or anything I can try, or know if it would be safe to talk to Rogers TS about it? I've had the phone about 15 months now. Thanks!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
You have a rooted 2 year old phone that's well past the warranty period and 15 months into a contract. The worst Rogers will do is not help you but it shouldn't even be a topic of conversation with them because they'll try a few things you've already tried then ask you to factory reset it (which you should have already tried). If that doesn't work they'll say your phone is broken.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
drat couldn't get this Radio issue fixed before I had to go to sleep last night.

I've tried like 5 different 4.1 Roms and all of them are just giving me no signal from verizon. Should I just go back to ICS and wait till next week? Is it possible that I erased what ever activation verizon did with my phone when I did a complete wipe and all I need to do is call them and get my phone set up?

My device doesn't recognize any carrier or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

blackmage posted:

I have an original Galaxy S Captivate, running CM 7.2.0. Ever since I first installed Cyanogen, back in March or so (I think it was 7.1.something at the time), I haven't been able to send or receive picture messages (MMS?). Texting is otherwise fine, mostly, but I can't do pics.

I've called Rogers and had the basic CS check my account to make sure everything was set up properly, but didn't go on to the next tier TS because I'm not sure what they'll say/do if it comes to light that I've modded my phone, if they'll refuse CS or worse.

I've looked through all the SMS/MMS settings I can find, to no avail. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong, or anything I can try, or know if it would be safe to talk to Rogers TS about it? I've had the phone about 15 months now. Thanks!

You need to put in the correct APN information for your carrier.

http://laslow.net/2011/05/16/rogers-mms-apn-settings-for-cyanogenmod-7/