Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

kannonfodder posted:

Yeah I figured that would be about that much.

To the dude looking to build a Tau army with Space Marine models (I can't remember who you were) I found this which you could use as a reference for building sweet battlesuits.

Why in the world would you put the exhaust stacks on upside down? That just seems like a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Fix posted:

Why in the world would you put the exhaust stacks on upside down? That just seems like a bad idea.

Jump jets I suspect.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Fix posted:

It's a jet pack :ssh:

edit: goddamit beaten!

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Looking at the Dakkajet FAQ I think they left out the "Fighta Ace" special rule.

When the white dwarf came out all flyers (including dakkajet) were fast-skimmers. and the rules made sense accordingly.

After 6th they updated the 'Strafing Run' rule but it only adds weapon types and shoehorns 'Flyers' right next to Skimmers as exceptions to the +1 BS. This makes sense since the Dakajet did not get +1 BS vs the classic skimmers or today's flyers when the White Dwarf hit.

But the "Fighta Ace" upgrade let the Dakkajet get +1 BS VS skimmers or jetbikes. I went looking for the FAQ line wedging the 'Flyers' word into the rule but it doesn't exist.

Did they forget? Why am I a 'fighta ace' if I'm a bit better VS a ghost ark? I wanna shoot down other planes! :orks:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is there any bitz site with free/Cheap shipping to europe? I need TH and Stormshields for Terminators since I'm going to buy a box of regular Termies next week and only want to use the cyclone in there for "regular" Terminators.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Did they forget? Why am I a 'fighta ace' if I'm a bit better VS a ghost ark? I wanna shoot down other planes! :orks:

Well, the problem is even if you did get a +1 to BS against flyers, it wouldn't actually do anything because set scores take precedence over modifiers, so you're still set to BS1. Giving it skyfire doesn't fix this because then it's hosed when shooting at ground targets, and compensating for that by giving it interceptor as well makes it more powerful than originally intended.

It's possible that these complications are why they haven't addressed it yet.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
All flyers get to choose whether they want to use Skyfire or not each turn.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ghetto wormhole posted:

All flyers get to choose whether they want to use Skyfire or not each turn.

Oh, wow! I totally missed that on my read through. In that case, it's probably just something they forgot to address.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Imperial Guard + Sisters of Battle is a very good cc blob army. A big guardsman blob with 5 priests and Celestine attached will rofflestomp most things - it can get off a huge, practically unavoidable multi-charge on turn 2 that wipes out half of their line. Eviscerators are pretty drat good now. Celestine makes them all fearless and either wins the challenge or dies and gets back up later.

The problem? It costs a million points, can only hold one objective, and dies rapidly to a few large blast templates.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Phyresis posted:

Imperial Guard + Sisters of Battle is a very good cc blob army. A big guardsman blob with 5 priests and Celestine attached will rofflestomp most things - it can get off a huge, practically unavoidable multi-charge on turn 2 that wipes out half of their line. Eviscerators are pretty drat good now. Celestine makes them all fearless and either wins the challenge or dies and gets back up later.

The problem? It costs a million points, can only hold one objective, and dies rapidly to a few large blast templates.

You could just bring a couple cheapo special weapon squads with 3x flamers or grenade launchers (or demolition charges, S8 AP2 Large Blast :unsmigghh:)to follow along and hold objectives and support the blob.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

The best and most consistent anti-air option seems to be high volume of fire S7 and higher, like autocannons. Surprise. Obviously IG get everything and a bag of chips: a good flyer (that you can field in squadrons, no less), autocannon spam, and the best and cheapest anti-air in the game, the only pure counter - Hydra.

Lootas are so good now. I'd think about getting 3 units of these and 2 warbosses + 2 nobz-as-troops along with the green tide blobbers. I wonder if a decent battlewagon list is possible, they are still good and you could get some Meganobz instead of Lootas, maybe 6 battlewagons are good.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Phyresis posted:

The best and most consistent anti-air option seems to be high volume of fire S7 and higher, like autocannons. Surprise. Obviously IG get everything and a bag of chips: a good flyer (that you can field in squadrons, no less), autocannon spam, and the best and cheapest anti-air in the game, the only pure counter - Hydra.

Doom Scythes with Death Rays, S10 autohitting.

Vibrocannons are funny against flyers as well.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Aramoro posted:

Doom Scythes with Death Rays, S10 autohitting.

Vibrocannons are funny against flyers as well.

You know what's a fun ally for Grey Knights? Necrons. Catacomb Command Barge flying over flyers, slicing them in half. 2 Night Scythes zooming around zapping stuff. 1 Doom Scythe dooming things to doom. That's my next purchase, actually. I cracked and bought Inquisitor Coteaz this week. My Warrior Acolytes are almost done, but I'm still looking for a decent replacement head for these Cadians. Something fully masked, but not DKoK greatcoat style, nor chaos/rebel-y. Something futuristic, but not too futuristic such that it doesn't fit in the 40k setting. So far the best thing I've found is the pig iron head that looks like Halo (eh kills xenos and doesnt afraid of anything) but drat, those things are ugly.

The Blood Lance auto-hits flyers too, it's not a template. I think there's some other similar stuff.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

So after my hilarious defeat in a 1750 point game yesterday, I figure I should probably write an actual army list for that size rather than just throwing whatever random stuff I have together and hoping for the best. With that in mind, I still want to keep it Raptors themed (Lias, use of Scouts and Land Speeders) but any advice would be awesome. Here's a list I put together while sleep-deprived last night, so please feel free to tear it apart!

code:
Lias Issodon - 140

Tactical Squad - 170
Meltagun - 5
Missile Launcher
Combi-Flamer - 10
Rhino - 35

Tactical Squad - 170
Flamer
Missile Launcher

Tactical Squad - 170
Meltagun - 5
Heavy Bolter
Rhino - 35

5 Scout Snipers - 75
Missile Launcher - 10

5 Terminators - 200
Thunder Hammers & Storm Shields

2 Land Speeders - 100
Multi-Meltas - 20
Heavy Flamers - 20

Land Raider - 250

Land Raider Redeemer - 240
Multi-Melta - 10

Whirlwind - 85

Total: 1750
TH/SS Terminators go in the LR Redeemer, Tac Squad without Rhino is in the standard LR for objective holding emergencies and the two Land Speeders would be separate. Whirlwind for fluff and versatility. No Camo Cloaks on the Scouts since Lias gives them Stealth anyway.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Eldar + Dark Eldar is so funny it's unbelievable. I'm going to Doom that thing I'm now firing Poisoned weapons at. You just need Rangers to fill out your Mandatory slots.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Shockeh posted:

Eldar + Dark Eldar is so funny it's unbelievable. I'm going to Doom that thing I'm now firing Poisoned weapons at. You just need Rangers to fill out your Mandatory slots.

Yeah, I played against a mate using a Doomseer with Runes of Warding sitting in a squad of 20 Warriors with two splinter cannons, who jumped out to fortune an Archon with Shadowfield/2x Blast Pistols/Djin Blade/Drugs, who promptly solo tore a Trygon to bits. It was gloriously cinematic, GW.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Is Bits & Kits still down for maintenance for anyone else? Been down for nearly a week, not sure if it's something cached on my end or whether it really takes that long to clean up a site built entirely in Notepad.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

moths posted:

Unless you're the Dark Angels.

The chapter with a 50% Chaos defection rate is chummier with Inquisition than the Black Templars. Who only get the weakest-of-friends with the Sisters, who are the WNBA Black Templars anyway.

There's no way the Fallen make up 50% of the Dark Angels, so the chaos defection rate must be higher than that (because the Fallen are the good ones).

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

There's no way the Fallen make up 50% of the Dark Angels, so the chaos defection rate must be higher than that (because the Fallen are the good ones).
Some confusion I think; The DA + Successors are called 'The Unforgiven', the defectors are 'The Fallen'. Is this what you mean? Some proportion of the Legion (and let's be super generous, and say the full half) fell, and are now Fallen of some variety. But there's been 10,000 years of warfare for attrition on their numbers, and the other 50% were broken into the Chapter + Successors, who have since been able to recruit.

Top this off with the fluff pointing out that The Fallen were not only scattered across space, but also time, and there actually isn't very many of them at all, but the time angle gives a nice excuse to inject more of them whenever it's 'thematically appropriate' (What with open ended 'needs more sequel' writing being a total Sci-Fi, and 40k in particular trope).

But who cares, Dark Angels, 'dark secret', gay joke, 'inner circle', lol, etc. I miss the Native American theme. :(

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Creepy Goat posted:

Is Bits & Kits still down for maintenance for anyone else? Been down for nearly a week, not sure if it's something cached on my end or whether it really takes that long to clean up a site built entirely in Notepad.

Yup, down here.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Shockeh posted:

Some confusion I think; The DA + Successors are called 'The Unforgiven', the defectors are 'The Fallen'. Is this what you mean? Some proportion of the Legion (and let's be super generous, and say the full half) fell, and are now Fallen of some variety. But there's been 10,000 years of warfare for attrition on their numbers, and the other 50% were broken into the Chapter + Successors, who have since been able to recruit.

Top this off with the fluff pointing out that The Fallen were not only scattered across space, but also time, and there actually isn't very many of them at all, but the time angle gives a nice excuse to inject more of them whenever it's 'thematically appropriate' (What with open ended 'needs more sequel' writing being a total Sci-Fi, and 40k in particular trope).

But who cares, Dark Angels, 'dark secret', gay joke, 'inner circle', lol, etc. I miss the Native American theme. :(

No, I meant the Fallen - they believe that it was the Lion that had turned to Chaos and Luther was the loyalist one.

And then you've got Cypher heading towards the Emperor with the Lion's sword to present it to/kill him with it so he goes Star Child/who knows.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

No, I meant the Fallen - they believe that it was Lionel that had turned to Chaos and Luther was the loyalist one.
I always liked the conspiracy theory Angels of Darkness presented - Lionel was the greatest strategist out of all the Primarchs, and also the most pragmatic in a totally ruthless sense. He just didn't have the popular support of the other two contenders for Warmaster, being Horus and Guilleman.

And yet, somehow this master strategist was late to the Battle for Terra?

He hadn't turned to Chaos, he was waiting to see which side won.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Creepy Goat posted:

I got a ton of Chaos and Dark Eldar bits from this guy's shop on eBay: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/bmfbits Got everything within a couple of days, each group of things was in a small zip-loc bag.

There was someone in the last thread asking for feathered wings, I believe, here are the DE Scourge wings, which are very nice: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40K-Dark-Eldar-Scourge-Wings-Torso-Back-/300727459119?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item4604c0dd2f#ht_600wt_1090

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Shockeh posted:

And yet, somehow this master strategist was late to the Battle for Terra?

He was off fighting Curze according to Age of Darkness.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Yup, down here.

Argh, they're probably out of stock of all the bits I need anyway. Thanks.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Lungboy posted:

He was off fighting Curze according to Age of Darkness.

The idea was that he chose not to rush to Terra and instead did a lot of stuff that certainly helped the loyalists, but was going to prevent him from making it to Terra in time. Still has a great alibi if the good guys win, but isn't trapped and destroyed if they lost. Or maybe he was hoping they'd lose. Or maybe they'd both be dead and he'd be left, who knows.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Or maybe he didn't want to get drawn into the fighting too heavily because he thought the war could be stopped and healed. The Emperor thought Horus could be salvaged until the end.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
or maybe he was on a secret mission and killed the fifth aspect of chaos, Mattward

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Creepy Goat posted:

Argh, they're probably out of stock of all the bits I need anyway. Thanks.

This pretty much sums up my Bits & Kits shopping experience. That and waiting 2 weeks for an order to go from ordered to shipped. :argh:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

FNP 3+ is already here with Epidemius.

And 2+ with that one BA guy.

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

It really makes a difference if your unit is toting template weapons, like flamers or grenade launchers, or some such. Those d3 auto-hits with powerful weapons like that really add up.

grenade launchers don't give you d3 auto hits. They are blast, not template.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

kannonfodder posted:

Yeah I figured that would be about that much.

To the dude looking to build a Tau army with Space Marine models (I can't remember who you were) I found this which you could use as a reference for building sweet battlesuits.

looks kinda orky.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
Not so sure on 'auto-cannons' and similar guns really working well against flyers.

A team of 3 IG auto-cannons get 6 shots = 1 hit that may or may not do anything against a flying vehicle. Against a flying monstrous creature it has even less of a chance of doing anything significant. Granted, that's not necessarily bad, especially if you have multiple auto-cannon teams, but it's not really a 'counter' for flying creatures, in the same way that meltas and lances are a counter for AR14.

Even the fortifications with skyfire guns aren't that great for their cost, considering that they can be destroyed before the flyers show up.

As far as I can see, the only really good counter to flyers are other flyers. This will change if they give missile launchers the 'flakk' option, but so far I haven't heard of any units that get them.

After crunching some numbers, I now see that Killa Kans are indeed hosed. That really screws over my Orks. Killa Kan wall was my favorite list. It wasn't the most successful, but it was by far the most fun. My battlewagons w/deffrollas got hurt too, since I can't ram and then disembark the passengers in the same turn.

Basically, all my favorite strategies are hosed. Meganobz, biker nobz, big gunz, cheap battlewagons, and shoota boyz are all still good, but I'm not sure if that's the type of army I want to play. I'll have to think more on it.

Blompkin fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 6, 2012

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

It really makes a difference if your unit is toting template weapons, like flamers or grenade launchers, or some such. Those d3 auto-hits with powerful weapons like that really add up.

Grenade launchers are either blast (frag) or direct fire (krak) weapons, in case you recently made that mistake.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Fuegan posted:

So after my hilarious defeat in a 1750 point game yesterday, I figure I should probably write an actual army list for that size rather than just throwing whatever random stuff I have together and hoping for the best. With that in mind, I still want to keep it Raptors themed (Lias, use of Scouts and Land Speeders) but any advice would be awesome. Here's a list I put together while sleep-deprived last night, so please feel free to tear it apart!

TH/SS Terminators go in the LR Redeemer, Tac Squad without Rhino is in the standard LR for objective holding emergencies and the two Land Speeders would be separate. Whirlwind for fluff and versatility. No Camo Cloaks on the Scouts since Lias gives them Stealth anyway.

That's... um...

Never put tacticals in a LR. Assterms or bust. Never use godhammer LRs, and Crusaders beat Redeemers. Don't field 2 LRs at less than 1999pts (one at 1750-1850 might work now under 6th). Whirlwind is poo poo. Scouts are bad; what does this Lias guy do?

Everything else is okayish, but you need to free yourself points to get fire support options: riflemen dreads, predators, vindicators, etc.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Cheers, Crime Fighting Hog. I love me some well painted Dark Angels.

twistedmentat posted:

Now if you do this more than reasonable (read, more than once) you get flagged, and your orders get inspected before they get shipped out, and obviously if someone inspected your order, saw that it was cool, and you called and said it was still missing parts you would be put on a naughty list.

Unless they're doing it by phone number recognition it's not that. To be honest, having them inspect my orders prior shipping would be quite nice, it certainly doesn't seem like something they spend enough time on.

The Gate posted:

The idea was that he chose not to rush to Terra and instead did a lot of stuff that certainly helped the loyalists, but was going to prevent him from making it to Terra in time. Still has a great alibi if the good guys win, but isn't trapped and destroyed if they lost. Or maybe he was hoping they'd lose. Or maybe they'd both be dead and he'd be left, who knows.

The flaw with that theory is that he would have been expecting the Emperor to survive in a scenario where Horus was defeated. I don't think he'd be foolish enough to think that he would get away with lying to the Emperor's face.

humannature
Apr 28, 2010

I was a vegan Hibernian Warden, but I gave that up to join the flesh-eating Chaotic Socialist Space Republic.
Picked up my rulebook the other day and I've been going through it slowly. It seems like vindicators got a decent buff what with the new blast template rules and the new glancing rules. Does this shift the consensus at all on Vindicators vs. Obliterators?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Vindicators were always cooler than Obliterators anyway.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

I stopped paying attention to 40k about 4 months ago, and it looks like the new edition is better than I thought. I'm not willing to pay the $130 or so for the new core book, so I'm just going to wait for the new starter set.

But, I want to paint again. What do you guys suggest? Should I start on my horde IG again or my CSM? What is going to kick more rear end when I get the new book?

Edit:

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Vindicators were always cooler than Obliterators anyway.

Word.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

CaptainPete posted:

I'm not willing to pay the $130 or so for the new core book, so I'm just going to wait for the new starter set.

Are you looking at the right price? That looks like Collector's Edition price, and you can't get that anyway unless you pre-ordered (and maybe not even then).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Are you looking at the right price? That looks like Collector's Edition price, and you can't get that anyway unless you pre-ordered (and maybe not even then).

Oh, gently caress all. You're right. I was looking at prices when they first put them up, saw that price and just walked away from the computer.

I'm still thinking about just getting the new starter, however.

• Locked thread