Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
Hmm... while we're talking about Gmail, I have a problem. I have over 400 spams, and I am using the html version because I can't f'in stand the new one. But I can't seem to be able to 'select all' to delete the spam or empty the trash folder. You know how you could go to your spam folder when it had piled up, and click that little 'delete all your spam right now' thinger button? Well apparently I don't have on in html version. Please let me be blind and someone knows where the button is. I don't want to manually select hundreds of spams, and last time I reverted to the standard view, it was a pain in the arse to get it back to html.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Excavation posted:

Is there a quick way to mark all Gmail messages as "read"? I have almost 6000 emails that are unread at the moment, mainly newsletters and "word of the day" subscriptions and job application confirmations that have accumulated over the years. I can mark 50 emails at a time as read, but it may take a while to get through them all. I can't seem to find a big flashing "reset this and have an easily read summary of your recent emails instead of a counter that could double as a Hebrew calendar" button.

Samopsa posted:

e: also a tip, I put a filter on incoming mails filtering "newsletters" to go to the newsletter label. This owns and really streamlines my inbox reading.

As a continuation of this, go into Settings > Labs > SmartLabels > Enable. What this does is automatically identify whether it's a newsletter/spam/Facebook notification/etc and sort the mail into appropriate folders. Saves bulking up your account with dozens of filters!

when worlds collide posted:

HTML / Spam Trouble.

Alright, so-- did some looking around and it seems that you're right; there's no auto-empty button.

But! As far as an easy way to switch between HTML and not, take a look at the URLs for different modes...

Regular: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/
HTML: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/
Mobile: http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=mobile
Safe Mode (no Labs enabled): http://mail.google.com/mail/?labs=0

The only difference between Regular & HTML is the /h/ at the end. If you save these two as bookmarks, you can easily swap between 'em on the fly.

Travakian fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 5, 2012

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

randyest posted:

From Australia to where? Regardless, that's almost certainly impossible to answer since it depends on so many things.

Sorry, to the east coast of the US.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Travakian posted:

Alright, so-- did some looking around and it seems that you're right; there's no auto-empty button.

But! As far as an easy way to switch between HTML and not, take a look at the URLS for different modes...

Regular: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/
HTML: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/
Mobile: http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=mobile
Safe Mode (no Labs enabled): http://mail.google.com/mail/?labs=0

The only difference between Regular & HTML is the /h/ at the end. If you save these two as bookmarks, you can easily swap between 'em on the fly.

Oooh, thank you so much. It is really good to know I wasn't being blind. Just dumb. But that is what SA is, a bunch of people who are clever in the ways that you aren't yourself! :sun:

It was actually kind of funny when I was trying to set it back to html, I had about a millisecond to click the 'go back to html version' link as the page refreshed. Took me about 15 minutes and every time I failed, I heard the Duck Hunt dog. :laugh:

This will be way less aggravating.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

when worlds collide posted:

Hmm... while we're talking about Gmail, I have a problem. I have over 400 spams, and I am using the html version because I can't f'in stand the new one. But I can't seem to be able to 'select all' to delete the spam or empty the trash folder. You know how you could go to your spam folder when it had piled up, and click that little 'delete all your spam right now' thinger button? Well apparently I don't have on in html version. Please let me be blind and someone knows where the button is. I don't want to manually select hundreds of spams, and last time I reverted to the standard view, it was a pain in the arse to get it back to html.

It deletes them automatically after like 30 days as well, so there's no need to do it manually unless you just really like doing it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My kitchen sink has stains in it that I can't seem to get off, bleach-based kitchen cleaning stuff isn't doing it. I even sprayed it and waited an hour or two, no change. I'm afraid I don't know what the sink is made of, except that it's white. Anyone have an idea?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Samurai Sanders posted:

My kitchen sink has stains in it that I can't seem to get off, bleach-based kitchen cleaning stuff isn't doing it. I even sprayed it and waited an hour or two, no change. I'm afraid I don't know what the sink is made of, except that it's white. Anyone have an idea?

Barkeeper's Friend :swoon:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

This is great stuff. Your sunk is probably enameled cast iron, fwiw. If the barkeeper's friend doesn't help, maybe a melamine sponge?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is Amazon the only place to get it, or can I just buy it locally somewhere? I don't recognize the container but I don't go around scrutinizing the kitchen cleaning products at stores.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

stubblyhead posted:

This is great stuff. Your sunk is probably enameled cast iron, fwiw. If the barkeeper's friend doesn't help, maybe a melamine sponge?

For that matter, actually he should probably try Mr. Clean Magic Erasers first because they're less abrasive than BF. I guess if bleach has already not worked it might not be worth bothering, but hey it's not like you'll not have other uses for them.

Magic Erasers :swoon:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is Amazon the only place to get it, or can I just buy it locally somewhere? I don't recognize the container but I don't go around scrutinizing the kitchen cleaning products at stores.

No it's in stores. I didn't recognize the picture either and figured it was probably only available in like Cracker Barrel and Amish barn sales, but it turns out it was in Stop & Shop the whole time :stare: It just doesn't make much of a visual impression. Look where the Comet is.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Is there a good website or thread to ask about online store reputability? I looked around a bit in Coupons and Deals, but didn't see anything.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
When guys from the cable company or telco or others go to lunch, why do they put cones in front and back of their trucks in a parking lot?

Cones are for warning when they have to park in the street for a job. But why in a parking lot?

Only thing I've figured is maybe warning about a giant long truck or a giant long ladder up top that sticks out but usually I see regular astro vans with a ladder up top that's shorter than the van, with cones in front/behind.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

unpronounceable posted:

Is there a good website or thread to ask about online store reputability? I looked around a bit in Coupons and Deals, but didn't see anything.
I use resellerratings.com and also just google "[storename] sucks" and "[storename] scam" and poo poo like that if I'm totally unfamiliar with them, which is becoming increasingly rare since amazon, newegg, monoprice, and dealextreme pretty much cover everything I'd order online. Something needs to be WAY cheaper for me to even consider skipping amazons 0-risk customer service, for example, and if it's way cheaper, it's often a bullshit fake store scam.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Wagonburner posted:

When guys from the cable company or telco or others go to lunch, why do they put cones in front and back of their trucks in a parking lot?

Cones are for warning when they have to park in the street for a job. But why in a parking lot?

Only thing I've figured is maybe warning about a giant long truck or a giant long ladder up top that sticks out but usually I see regular astro vans with a ladder up top that's shorter than the van, with cones in front/behind.

I have never seen this before. Maybe the local utilities have a blanket policy that you put the cones out no matter what, in order to prevent people forgetting when it actually matters?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Is there any safe way to sell a blizzard account? I am dumb and bought diablo 3 and have had zero time to play it and probably won't for a few years. Are you even allowed to sell? Or is it against their policy and i only own a non- transferable license to play their game? I saw a bunch of sites that buy them, but i assume they're all scams.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It is against their policy, yes.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wagonburner posted:

According to the "best answer" to the same question on Yahoo,

quote:

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

these companies are what is called--self insured. They are going to pay for damages--up to a certain dollar figure---from company funds. To insure a million vehicles nationwide would cost a fortune--so they self insure their equipment. The" risk management offices" of these companies have desired ways to increase the visibility of their vehicles when parked--so it is POLICY to put the cones out at any time. Risk management professionals know all about safety and increased visibility for vehicles--and the cones are a certain size and color that MOST other drivers will see and understand as---A WORK VEHICLE is here--be careful!!! Its is a company policy to wear safety vests and hard hats also. If you employed 5000 people--and gave them 1000 trucks to use--YOU would want the safest work enviornment for them!! AND----past accidents were always due to people NOT seeing the vehicles. You might also notice that ambulances and fire engines all have one yellow light facing to the rear of the vehicles-----thats because tired or drunk drivers are more apt to see the amber light--despite all the other RED lights that blink and flash. What you see is very observant--I am happy to see this question----I will tell you that ALL safety stuff is compiled from years of statistics about past accidents. A simple cone has reduced the damages by millions of dollars.

ktimekiller
Jan 9, 2012
Question about Statistics regarding Regression Lines and predicting.

As I currently understand, I can utilize the Regression Line formula to predict the Y value given that I have the X value. My textbook notes that in order to reverse the prediction given that I have the Y, the entire Regression Line formula must be recalculated to fit the X as the Y and Y as the X. This yields in a new equation that has a different slope and intercept.

Given the examples in the book however, when I manually calculate out a possible prediction using the original Y = a + bX, then try to reverse the prediction using the new Y = a + bX where the X is reversed with the Y and the Y with the X, the values given differ from the first equation.

Also, it seems to me that it is simply possible to work backwards from the first equation to find a possible prediction of X. For example, without reversing the position of X and Y before calculating the Regression Line, simply putting the given Y value in the Y = a + bX and work backwards to find the possible predicted value of X.

Am I misunderstanding something? Why does the two equations give different predicted values?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

In the equation Y = a + bX, simply put, X is the input and Y is the output.
Are you saying you have a Y value Y1, and want to find what X1 would have given that output Y1?
You must solve Y = a + bX for X. Like, algebra-style. Only then can Y be the input and X the output. Keep the letters consistent to avoid confusion, or change them to new letters (c and d), because the way you wrote it I'm not even sure what you're asking.

Y = a + bX. Solve for X.
pre:
Y          = a + b X
Y    - a   = b X
Y/b  - a/b = X
So now I can plug in my value Y = Y1, and to get the X1 that corresponds to it, I follow my equation above: divide Y1 by b, subtract (a/b), voila.

edit: thought some numbers might help here.

Imagine you have y = 2x + 1. Pretty simple, right?
A few values that come from that in x,y pairs:
Well, I could draw exactly the same line by solving that equation for y. It'd look like:
x = y/2 - 1/2
Now let me plug in y = 7. Sure, I could look at my table above and see that x = 3, but just to see if this works.
7/2 - 1/2 = 3.
Yup! Same as the value x=3 above that gave me y=7.
Now I can use this to take ANY y and find the right x, without generating a huge table for reverse lookups. :science:

alnilam fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 5, 2012

ktimekiller
Jan 9, 2012
I will try to make it a bit more clear.

In Regression Line, the normal equation looks like this.

Y = a + b X

The textbook notes that when attempting to predict X from a given value of Y, you must swap the position of X for Y and Y for X in all the cumulative formulas used to obtain the Regression Line equation. This results in a different value for the b and a. This also results in the Y representing the previous X and X representing the previous Y. The problem here is that if I were to input a given value of X to get a predicted value of Y in the first equation, attempting to find the same values by inputting the value of Y to get the predicted value of X in the second equation where the axis were swapped results in a different value given from the first equation.

Like you did note, my question is why should one not simply do basic algebra and work it backwards to get a predicted value of X rather than swapping the axis. Also why the values I get from the two equations differ.

Here is am example.

X: 90 200 220 280 310 360 370 210 220 240 310 310 300 340 380 460 450 400 500 580 620 770 1000

Y: 6 15 12 11 12 12 14 17 17 22 21 17 16 15 22 17 23 26 31 32 26 27 40

This results in a Regression Line of Y = 6.909 + .033 X

Given value of X being 598, the Y results in predicted Y of 26.643

According to the book, finding the predicted value of X from a given value of Y must be done by forming a new equation by swapping the axis.

The X values become Y, and Y becomes X

The new Regression Line is Y = -26.511 + 21.13 X

If a given value of X was 26.643, the predicted value of Y is 536.45559

The values are completely different.

EDIT: I am told that the different values are completely normal given that I am changing the axis, which results in a difference of variation of X and Y from each case. In other words, BLACKMAGIC. And no basic algebra does not seem to solve this problem properly, so the above poster is wrong.

ktimekiller fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 5, 2012

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
When you calculate a regression you are finding a line that minimizes the error between the line and the actual data points.

There are a couple of ways of defining errors: for a point (x,y) you can take the difference between y and the y position of the line at x, or you can take the difference between x and the x position of the line at y.

When you do the two regressions you describe, one minimizes the x error and the other minimizes the y error, so you get somewhat different lines.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I guess cones out all the time for forming habits and risk mgmt depts explains it. I should get a discount from farmers insurance if I get me some cones.

Edit : mounted on horizontal ground level poles connected to my frame and always 3 feet in front of and behind me.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Experto Crede posted:

Is there a proper musical term for the type of piano playing in this video? Fast and very jumpy?

Hoops posted:

I think the answer you're probably looking for is "vamping". But strictly, what he's doing there would just be basic "accompaniment".

Hoops is mostly correct, but to be more precise, it's oom-pah, just done on piano rather than wind instruments. The wiki entry for it even has a figure showing that exact accompaniment pattern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oompah

N. Senada posted:

I know you already got an answer but I just wanted to toss in that it sounds ragtime-y to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_dI6BZt06U

No. It's definitely not a rag.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
I ordered an iPhone case on Amazon that was sold by a 3rd party but fulfilled by Amazon. The tracking (USPS) says that it was delivered, but I never got it.

A week ago, the carrier left a delivery slip at the door saying we had two packages, so I signed the area on the slip that authorizes them to actually deliver the package and put it in my mailbox. We got one of the two packages the next day but not the second. I waited about 2 days and then called USPS to tell them I never got it this past Tuesday. I have not heard back about it. It's now a week and a day after the online tracking says it was originally delivered.

Should I just take the loss and reorder the drat thing (it was only $20 total), or is there anything else I can do?

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Jeffrey Colon posted:

is there anything else I can do?

Contact Amazon. I think their customer service deals with fulfilled-by-Amazon stuff because after all a fair amount of issues will be shipping related.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I ordered an iPhone case on Amazon that was sold by a 3rd party but fulfilled by Amazon. The tracking (USPS) says that it was delivered, but I never got it.

A week ago, the carrier left a delivery slip at the door saying we had two packages, so I signed the area on the slip that authorizes them to actually deliver the package and put it in my mailbox. We got one of the two packages the next day but not the second. I waited about 2 days and then called USPS to tell them I never got it this past Tuesday. I have not heard back about it. It's now a week and a day after the online tracking says it was originally delivered.

Should I just take the loss and reorder the drat thing (it was only $20 total), or is there anything else I can do?

In the past when I have had issues with third party items, Amazon has offered to refund me the money so I could purchase it again. They couldn't just sent me a replacement themselves since it was through the third party, but overall, I have had nothing but awesome experiences dealing with Amazon's customer service. I've heard some people say that the chat support folks aren't as good as the phone ones, but I've only ever done phone, so I can't confirm or deny that.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The power button on my ipod touch is stuck. As in it's pressed down completely, while the black plastic part of the button is loose and can move up/down and back and forth.

Is there a way to fix this, or somehow make the home button the power button? Otherwise I can't ever turn it off.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Wasn't there a thread on Something Awful where goons posted pictures of their rooms trying to find the dirtiest hovel out there? I distinctly remember the highlight of the thread being a goon who lived in a little crawl space between cinder blocks. Is there a link to this thread? I can't seem to find it.

Please tell me I'm not crazy. :ohdear:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
yeah, it was a "contest" Lowtax started, but I think he was so disgusted he never named a winner. He might have deleted it out of disgust too because I don't see it in the archives under the piggy filter anywhere. I think it was about 2 years ago.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OrangeGuy posted:

Wasn't there a thread on Something Awful where goons posted pictures of their rooms trying to find the dirtiest hovel out there? I distinctly remember the highlight of the thread being a goon who lived in a little crawl space between cinder blocks. Is there a link to this thread? I can't seem to find it.

It was real although I don't think it was a contest^^^^ if I remember correctly . Dude had dead mice that looked like beef jerky and old rotting condoms (not his) on the floor. I am actually surprised I can't find the pictures, but I am sure someone else will because I see them posted pretty regularly still.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Schweinhund posted:

yeah, it was a "contest" Lowtax started, but I think he was so disgusted he never named a winner. He might have deleted it out of disgust too because I don't see it in the archives under the piggy filter anywhere. I think it was about 2 years ago.

I really miss seeing pics of the residents of Appleton.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

OrangeGuy posted:

First GIS result for "gooncave".

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Well, there's this from the old goons.jpg thread. The third post down is what OrangeGuy was thinking of I think.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Wasn't that also the thread where someone took a picture of themselves pissing all over their own bedroom? I think it was on like the first page of the contest too, it escalated quickly.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Assume an intersection like this:

Who has right of way, if the blue car arrived at the intersection first?

After having an almost-accident at this intersection right by my apartment I've started just yielding right of way to the pink car, even if I was there first, which has led to some frustrating standoffs. I don't want to get in an accident but I also don't want to be That rear end in a top hat.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
edit: ignore that

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Manslaughter posted:

Assume an intersection like this:

Who has right of way, if the blue car arrived at the intersection first?

After having an almost-accident at this intersection right by my apartment I've started just yielding right of way to the pink car, even if I was there first, which has led to some frustrating standoffs. I don't want to get in an accident but I also don't want to be That rear end in a top hat.

Generally, the driver going straight always has right-of-way if the other car is turning left (the blue car is entering the pink car's lane of traffic) although many people will yield right-of-way to the first car to arrive at the intersection out of courtesy. If you want to avoid stand-offs try hand signals or flashing your lights.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Little known fact: there's no rule about who HAS the right of way when it comes to traffic, only who must YIELD the right of way. I don't know the answer to your question, but if I were in the blue car and I got there first, I'd go. Then again I'm kind of a dick on the road and I have little patience for the typical "you go!" "no you go!" that goes on at stop signs.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

spregalia posted:

Generally, the driver going straight always has right-of-way if the other car is turning left (the blue car is entering the pink car's lane of traffic) although many people will yield right-of-way to the first car to arrive at the intersection out of courtesy. If you want to avoid stand-offs try hand signals or flashing your lights.

I don't think this is true. In Virginia at least, the Driver's Manual says that the first to the intersection has the right of way. The problem is that a lot of people just assume that the other driver is going straight, so they don't bother waiting to go out into the intersection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Lawnie posted:

Little known fact: there's no rule about who HAS the right of way when it comes to traffic, only who must YIELD the right of way. I don't know the answer to your question, but if I were in the blue car and I got there first, I'd go. Then again I'm kind of a dick on the road and I have little patience for the typical "you go!" "no you go!" that goes on at stop signs.

If you don't want to go back and forth in 3 rounds of polite waving, here's a tip: Point, rather than wave, when you're telling someone to go. If you wave, everyone's first instinct is to wave back like trained monkeys. If you point, they just go.