Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Lofidelity Media posted:

I didn't think they were so much trying to tackle him as they were trying to touch him.

This is pretty much right. Osborn's huge at that moment, after having co-opted the power of the Super Adaptoid, and then all of the Avengers - including Red Hulk. They're trying to overload him with power.

At some point I really want a writer to have that trope backfire on the heroes trying to do it.

Like putting too much air in a balloon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It looks like the artist is trying to fit way too much into one page. That's a scene that needs more wide, open action shots so you can actually see what's going on. But when most comics stick dogmatically to the 30-page monthly format they don't have the time or resources to do it - they have to cram a story into that tiny canvas.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I think any of the old Marvel pencillers could have made that page work in a six panel grid with one or two panels to spare.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Seriously, absolutely nothing in that page needs a "wide open action shot". Huge extravagant panels are why the 22 page format no longer works in modern comics.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Lofidelity Media posted:

I didn't think they were so much trying to tackle him as they were trying to touch him.

This is pretty much right. Osborn's huge at that moment, after having co-opted the power of the Super Adaptoid, and then all of the Avengers - including Red Hulk. They're trying to overload him with power.

At some point I really want a writer to have that trope backfire on the heroes trying to do it.

I liked when the Atom shut down Amazo by disbanding the Justice League, since Amazo was apparently programmed to have the powers of whoever happened to be in the League at the time and was also really really pedantic.

It was basically like when the old man fires Dick Jones at the end of Robocop.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It's possible that in that panel he really is flying, as he just absorbed Noh-Varr's powers. Still, it's not made very clear.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Why does Noh Varr need to introduce himself? Osborn knows who he is, and that he's an Avenger. He made him an Avenger!

E:They should try that power overload trick on Galactus and see if it works out then.

Mister Nobody fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 28, 2012

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I was reading through the Batman - Dark Knight stuff recently out of curiosity... I haven't read much DC in a long long time it seems.

Immediately I'm bugged by seeing this:

I've never understood this. Why are eyes and mouths made into tiny, indiscernible marks sometimes? In new comics, no less. I assume the waiter guy at the door is shocked that Bruce Wayne has just entered the building from a small balcony. But I almost can't tell if they drew his mouth hanging open, or if it just looks weird and he's staring ahead blankly.

Not to mention Bruce's eyes, nose, and mouth are almost just drawn as 4 dots.

Also I don't have it near right now, but I dislike the coloring in the first issue of Moon Knight's most recent run. There is a moment where he is climbing into a boat and I thought he was shirtless.... but apparently he was in his full costume at the time, as I found out 3-4 panels later.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
An oldie (but not 90s). This is from Last Days of the Justice Society (1985), art by David Ross. I think there's something wrong with Hitler's arms (and his face).

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010

Mister Nobody posted:

Why does Noh Varr need to introduce himself? Osborn knows who he is, and that he's an Avenger. He made him an Avenger!

E:They should try that power overload trick on Galactus and see if it works out then.

Bendis.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Mister Nobody posted:

He arguably had a different costume when he was with Osborn. And he didn't have the bracelets that let him fly back then either.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Also, I can't remember if he'd been introduced to the readers yet in that issue. While I don't think the old Marvel editorial mandate ("Every comic is someone's first comic") is still in effect, a lot of their titles still have the characters introduce themselves at least once per issue.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Trilobite posted:

("Every comic is someone's first comic") is still in effect, a lot of their titles still have the characters introduce themselves at least once per issue.

My mind was pretty blown when I started reading Vertigo and MAX stuff a few years after I got into comics. It was such a nice change that people in the comics weren't constantly referring to stuff that happened one issue ago, which could mean as little as a few minutes ago in story-time.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Most 90s art was bad, but this short story from Green Lantern #19, drawn by Mart Nodell (Alan Scott's creator), was not bad in the Liefeld style of bad. Everyone's faces and body proportions keep changing from panel to panel. Guy Gardner's face on the third page is particularly galling.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 7, 2012

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

^^^^ pretty sure that's Martin Nodell creator of the Golden Age Green Lantern, unless that entire issue of Green Lantern is doing an homage to him?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Baron Bifford posted:

Most 90s art was bad, but this short story from Green Lantern #19, drawn by Joe Staton, was not bad in the Liefeld style of bad. Everyone's faces and body proportions keep changing from panel to panel. Guy Gardner's face on the third page is particularly galling.

Holy poo poo.

:downs:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

They're rereleasing Marvel Superheroes and Marvel vs. Capcom 1 for Xbox 360 and they got Whilce Portacio to do the art.

He put this together.

Yikes. Gambit jumps like he's standing. And who is Chun-Li kicking at?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Looks like she's trying to bean War Machine... Not sure how well that'll turn out for her, though :downs:

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
Holy smokes, and I thought they had some stinkers during the MvC3 promotional run. Leave the promo art to the professionals, Marvel :ironicat:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gavok posted:

They're rereleasing Marvel Superheroes and Marvel vs. Capcom 1 for Xbox 360 and they got Whilce Portacio to do the art.

He put this together.

Hey Magneto.
Hey Doom.
Any idea what we're doing here?
Nope.
Are we supposed to be here? It says "Heroes" above us.
Still no clue.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
It's quite an achievement to make Ryu's arms look even more ridiculous than they usually do. It's past "unreasonably buff" and straight in to "some sort of crippling disease" territory.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Hey Magneto.
Hey Doom.
Any idea what we're doing here?
Nope.
Are we supposed to be here? It says "Heroes" above us.
Still no clue.

"So... I hear you're an X-Man now. How's that going for ya?"
"Well you know there's only like 200 of us so I figured we oughta stay close. It's actually pretty nice, though I don't like that Summers kid bossing me around."
"So, you are planning to heel turn again, right? We've all been missing you at the company picnic."

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MarxCarl posted:

^^^^ pretty sure that's Martin Nodell creator of the Golden Age Green Lantern, unless that entire issue of Green Lantern is doing an homage to him?
That is in fact Martin Nodell's art, some of the last art he did before his health started failing, when he was seventy-six years old, nearly forty years after he stopped drawing comics for a living.

I point this out mainly because I can see why Joe Staton's art isn't for everyone, he definitely has everything (perspective/consistency/composition) under control and is a solid draftsman, unlike Nodell in 1991.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gavok posted:

He put this together.

I like how it looks like Ryu and Wolverine are about to have their standard MvC fight, and Venom just so goddamn excited about it he/they can't help him/themselves. :3:

Also MegaMan can fly now, I guess?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Crowetron posted:

I like how it looks like Ryu and Wolverine are about to have their standard MvC fight, and Venom just so goddamn excited about it he/they can't help him/themselves. :3:

Maybe he killed Vision?

Here's something to think about : what is Spider-Man swinging from?

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Gavok posted:

Maybe he killed Vision?

The logo, duh. :buddy:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Gavok posted:

Maybe he killed Vision?

I love the Spider-Man 3 game because that was the only game where Spidey's weblines were always affixed to a building. Every other game has it fixed in mid-air.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It took me until now to realize that they're in some kind of canyon standing around, and that's not some crappy explosion. I guess that explains most things about their poses, but Chung-Li is still flying around back there.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Baron Bifford posted:

I love the Spider-Man 3 game because that was the only game where Spidey's weblines were always affixed to a building. Every other game has it fixed in mid-air.

I could be misremembering but didn't Ultimate Spider-Man do this too?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Spider-Man 2 had that too, which has been the model for web-slinging in every game since.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I never played that one. I did play Web of Shadows, and occasionally I manage to rotate the camera enough to see the weblines fix point, which was clearly stuck in mid-air.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Then you honestly don't know what you're talking about by saying Spider-man 3 was the "only" game to do that, when even cursory research yields that Spider-man 2 was the first game noted for getting web-slinging "right."

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

mind the walrus posted:

Then you honestly don't know what you're talking about by saying Spider-man 3 was the "only" game to do that, when even cursory research yields that Spider-man 2 was the first game noted for getting web-slinging "right."

gently caress you Mysterio for forcing me to have to swing climb my way over to Liberty Island. So many wasted hours because I couldn't just swing anywhere.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives

Baron Bifford posted:

I never played that one. I did play Web of Shadows, and occasionally I manage to rotate the camera enough to see the weblines fix point, which was clearly stuck in mid-air.

This seems like a perfect time for a...Shameless Plug
http://lparchive.org/Spider-Man-2/

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Crowetron posted:

Everybody is flying. And yet, none of these people can fly, except Morrigan and Iron Man (or War Machine, whoever that is)

From my memories of Darkstalkers, Morrigan can float for a short period of time to slow her jumps, but can't actually fly.

What is Spidey's web attached to? The title? What's he shooting the new web at? Venoms butt cheek?

Perry Normal posted:

Holy poo poo.

When I see that stuff like this has been published, it makes me feel like a really great artist. I am not by any means a great artist.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

reallivedinosaur posted:

Everybody is flying. And yet, none of these people can fly, except Morrigan and Iron Man (or War Machine, whoever that is)

From my memories of Darkstalkers, Morrigan can float for a short period of time to slow her jumps, but can't actually fly.

What is Spidey's web attached to? The title? What's he shooting the new web at? Venoms butt cheek?

It seems obvious to me they took a bunch of individual character art pictures and pasted them onto a background like a kid playing with stickers. The white border around Ryu is a dead giveaway. This also explains the awful posing, perspective, relative proportions of characters, and shading.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Where exactly does Spider-Man's webbing come from?? The side of his wrists, behind his thumb? And besides the random Doom and Magneto, what about the Thanos and Blackheart silhouettes? Legends, maybe, but heroes? What the hell is Thanos even doing, a self-bearhug? Poor Jin's hanging on for dear life.
Whats sad is this was commissioned, approved, and paid for. There's plenty of artists out there who would have done an incredible job for free just for the credit.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
As terrible as everything else is in that picture, I'm fairly sure Thanos is doing his classic "check out all these gems on the backs of my back" pose.

Edit: I mean his weird arm pose that he was asking about. Thanos strike a pose with his fists together on at least one Infinity War cover, if I recall.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 7, 2012

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
Not sure what you're seeing, but it's a silhouette of Blackheart in front of Thanos and it's a little weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Perry Normal posted:

Holy poo poo.

It's not the art that bothers me, it's what he's saying. If Green Lanterns couldn't step on the toes of sovereign nations then they wouldn't be able to do their jobs.