Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Thought this would be interesting for people here, not sure of there are any apple employees willing to post online though.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/article?a=937318&f=99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

You know, I saw that article a few days ago, and it kinda pissed me off.

"Oh, no, Apple's doing so well, and I'm only getting $11.25 an hour!"

$11.25 is pretty good for what's mostly an unskilled or semi-skilled sales job. And from what I can grok from the article, that's starting, not average.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Apple products sell themselves. More-so than any other product I can think of, at least.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Neito posted:

You know, I saw that article a few days ago, and it kinda pissed me off.

"Oh, no, Apple's doing so well, and I'm only getting $11.25 an hour!"

$11.25 is pretty good for what's mostly an unskilled or semi-skilled sales job. And from what I can grok from the article, that's starting, not average.
That's certainly not the starting wage around here. People who are being promoted to Genius now (including the one who replaced me when I got the hell out) are making less per hour than I did as a part-time sales guy. It's well under $11.25/hr., and it's for a job that requires a fairly-technical skill set as well as yearly recertifications.

There are old-timers in that job (started 2001-2004ish) that are making an absolute mint compared to the newer people, but that comes from the shift in the culture there. At one point, it was "we need to pay people a lot so they're happy and stick around" - now it's "we can pay people whatever we want because there are thousands of potential replacements ready to start tomorrow."

For reference, I pay people $16-18/hr. to do effectively the same job at my current company, and every one of them could go elsewhere and get more than that if they felt like it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Sonic Dude posted:

now it's "we can pay people whatever we want because there are thousands of potential replacements ready to start tomorrow."

The same as their policy at their fabrication plants then. :v:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

rolleyes posted:

The same as their policy at their fabrication plants then. :v:
You don't get $110,000,000,000.00 cash on hand by paying it all to your lowliest of employees (the retail ones, of course :nixon:).

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

You don't get $110,000,000,000.00 cash on hand by paying it all to your lowliest of employees (the retail ones, of course :nixon:).
At what point does apple go "We are going to buy this country, and all of our stores are now our embassies"?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

The General posted:

At what point does apple go "We are going to buy this country, and all of our stores are now our embassies"?

To be serious for a moment, according to Wikipedia back in 2011 Apple had 60,400 permanent full time employees and 2,900 temporary full time employees world wide. Let's round that up to 100,000 to make some attempt to account for part time employees and the poor bastards at the contracted factories who actually put Apple products together. What amount of money might make a noticeable difference to the lives of all those people? Well, it depends on their country and their cost of living. Let's pull $100,000,000 out of their air - or $1,000 per employee, although distribution would not be even.

Now let's pretend that everyone on the Apple board has a stroke and one of the catastrophic after effects is that they regain a sense of ethics. They decide to spend 100 million dollars to increase pay and benefits throughout their workforce. That would be 0.09% percent of their current cash reserves. That is not an maths error, it should not read 9%.

0.09%

Last year Apple made a profit of seven billion dollars, so let's phrase this stroke-induced generosity in terms of 'lost income': it would represent a reduction in profitability of 1.43%. 1.43% which could improve the lives of tens of thousands, and even drag some of them out of poverty.

This is why any talk of ethics in an Apple press release makes me feel ill.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 2, 2012

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Had a genuine chuckle today when I was pulling the vacuum down to the front of the store to plug it in and a guy pointed at it and said "Hey, I heard that thing sucks."

I honestly have never heard that one before, and the best part is that the piece of poo poo really does suck in more ways than one. He has no idea how right he was.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I've officially been working at Walmart for two years. poo poo, man.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Dangerous Person posted:

I've officially been working at Walmart for two years. poo poo, man.

Sounds like your about to get that awesome 40 cent raise on your yearly evaluation!

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
A phone call...

:saddowns: I bought an ottoman there today and after I got it home it I noticed it was damaged. I want to exchange it for the same ottoman, you only have one left.
:) Okay, sir. When will you be back in?
:saddowns: Well gosh, a couple days or so. Cause of the holiday and all.
:) My manager says we can hold it till July 5th, we normally are only able to hold things for 1 day, but we understand your dilemma.
:saddowns: I live in **the next town over** and I can't just come back today, you know Dead Pikachu?! I won't be back in till friday.
:) Sorry sir, but the best we can do is hold it till July 5th.
:saddowns: You'll hold it till Friday, won't you Dead Pikachu? You'll make it happen, right?

On a side note, anyone else experiencing a "Christmas in July" rush? We're so busy, feels like the holidays already.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
So it looks like I'm done with my current retail job already. To start off with I wound up being an hour late to work because I misread the schedule, and I hosed up badly at the cash register. At the end of every shift a manager counts out all the cash you were paid, which is supposed to leave however much money they gave you at the start. If you're less than five dollars short or over that amount, it's considered acceptable. I had 15 dollars more than I was supposed to. This is the fourth time in the past month I've been over or under the five dollars, so there's no doubt whatsoever that I'm going to get fired as soon as the head manager gets back from their vacation in two weeks.

So yeah, I'm pretty lost right now. This'll mark twice now that I've been fired from a minimum wage job for my own stupidity (first time was forgetting to call in sick), and since there is absolutely nothing but minimum wage fast food/retail jobs in this backwater town I live in, I'm going to be literally unemployable. Not to mention completely ineligible for any sort of unemployment due to it being entirely my fault. I have about enough money to pay the bills for maybe a month, possibly two if I skip a couple. I'm hosed.

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away
I'm out. Taking a pay cut/raise, in that I'm getting more hours but only $8/hr instead of $8/hr plus tips. $640 a check pretax instead of $~400 post-tax. I'm free. :dance:

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008

Angry Guacamole posted:

I'm out. Taking a pay cut/raise, in that I'm getting more hours but only $8/hr instead of $8/hr plus tips. $640 a check pretax instead of $~400 post-tax. I'm free. :dance:

Whaaat? All the time I spent working poo poo jobs for 8/hr I was envious of the people who had jobs where they got tips. Hated listening to waitresses complain about making almost $10/hr on a slow night. I would have been so quick to take a job that gave legit minimum wage plus tips.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Reasons I once again desire to work retail:

-Almost broke.
-On welfare.
-Contemplating :suicide:

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away

Fussy Dutchman posted:

Whaaat? All the time I spent working poo poo jobs for 8/hr I was envious of the people who had jobs where they got tips. Hated listening to waitresses complain about making almost $10/hr on a slow night. I would have been so quick to take a job that gave legit minimum wage plus tips.

Our tips are split amongst the entire shift, so I get an extra $40 a week if I work 40 hours, give or take $0.50. It might be a small pay cut, but it's not retail and I'll have the same schedule every day, with no variance.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Dead Pikachu posted:

On a side note, anyone else experiencing a "Christmas in July" rush? We're so busy, feels like the holidays already.
It's been nuts with us too. We're way behind on a lot of routine maintenance stuff because it's all hands on deck for customer service, all the time.

Of course since none of our sections have been zoned or alpha'd and returns haven't been pulled in like a month, nothing is where it's supposed to be. And the store always looks like a bomb hit it.

So anyway, on Monday a bunch of the acoustic tile in the ceiling (which just happened to be in MY SECTION, praise Allah) turned out to be rotten and it collapsed in a big nasty chunk. Fortunately I was the only person around at the time and I was able to scramble away before it clobbered me, but we had to barricade the section off until the maintenance guys could come. Of course the customers were very understanding about this and I didn't hear "I don't care if it's dangerous, I WANT MY COZY MYSTERY NOVEL GO GET IT FOR ME" a dozen times or anything.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Another bad corporate visit on my day off, Tuesday. 4th of July in grocery retail is a very busy day for us so we got wiped, plus the fact I UNDER ORDERED several key items, we're out for about half a day tomorrow.

Even though tomorrow will be a slow sales day, plus a recovery day from a holiday, there's no excuse to not be in perfect shape tomorrow. Due to the bad visit Tuesday, the president of the company is most assuredly going to be having a visit tomorrow, and I'm going to get so reamed tomorrow it isn't funny.

Four and half weeks into this store and it's killing me mentally little by little.

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

rolleyes posted:

1.43% which could improve the lives of tens of thousands, and even drag some of them out of poverty.

But then those poor CEOs wouldn't be able to afford luxury carpeting on all five of their yachts!!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

You know what's awesome? Working the 4th for a company that cares. Today was double pay.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

That reminds me. I found out an interesting tidbit about DT the other night.

The company recognizes several holidays. Christmas, New Year's, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Independence Day, and maybe a couple others I forget.

And yet the only holiday we get off all year is Christmas. I'd bet dollars to pesos I'm getting scheduled for loving Thanksgiving even AFTER I ask for the time off.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

gently caress doing carts in 95 degree heat. I'm stock this week and everything about it is intolerable,

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

D34THROW posted:

That reminds me. I found out an interesting tidbit about DT the other night.

The company recognizes several holidays. Christmas, New Year's, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Independence Day, and maybe a couple others I forget.

And yet the only holiday we get off all year is Christmas. I'd bet dollars to pesos I'm getting scheduled for loving Thanksgiving even AFTER I ask for the time off.

My manager told me the other week that at Dollarama, for the first year a store is open we close every holiday, but every year after that we are only closed on Christmas and New Years.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Last night a guy came into my department and was looking at some Cars 2 clocks that were priced $29.99. He came and got me and said "These clocks have been here for like 3 months. Can you do anything about this price?" I told him we don't just hand out lower prices to people who ask for them. He replied "But they've been here for like 3 months! I'll buy them if you can give me a better price." (like he's doing us a favor by taking them off our hands :confused:) I told him no and he demanded a manager. The manager told him the same thing, we can't just give out a lower price, and the customer looked at us like we were crazy for turning down his offer. "Well I'm not going to buy them, then." and stormed out.
:psyduck:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Buggiezor posted:

Last night a guy came into my department and was looking at some Cars 2 clocks that were priced $29.99. He came and got me and said "These clocks have been here for like 3 months. Can you do anything about this price?" I told him we don't just hand out lower prices to people who ask for them. He replied "But they've been here for like 3 months! I'll buy them if you can give me a better price." (like he's doing us a favor by taking them off our hands :confused:) I told him no and he demanded a manager. The manager told him the same thing, we can't just give out a lower price, and the customer looked at us like we were crazy for turning down his offer. "Well I'm not going to buy them, then." and stormed out.
:psyduck:

If you were a small business and the inventory items weren't moving, it makes sense - get rid of them to clear up shelf space for items that will sell better. Your store manager or someone in corporate does calculations of this nature and things go on "clearance".

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

The General posted:

I'm fine with wearing turtlenecks, but coating every building in the United States of Apple in glossy white plastic is really going too far !

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.

baquerd posted:

If you were a small business and the inventory items weren't moving, it makes sense - get rid of them to clear up shelf space for items that will sell better. Your store manager or someone in corporate does calculations of this nature and things go on "clearance".

Yes, I agree if we were a small business. But this is a huge international toy store chain. And we do have items that go on Clearance when we want to get rid of them but these clocks were not on Clearance or even on sale.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Buggiezor posted:

Yes, I agree if we were a small business. But this is a huge international toy store chain. And we do have items that go on Clearance when we want to get rid of them but these clocks were not on Clearance or even on sale.

I remember way back in '98 when I really, REALLY wanted a Woody doll (Toy Story). The one Woody doll Walmart had left had been sitting there since the movie came out. Wasn't in clearance. Had been there for 3 years.

The guy my dad checked out with when buying it for me for Christmas said they were about to get rid of it anyway. My dad STILL didn't ask for a discount.

The sense of entitlement some customers have really chaps my rear end.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Buggiezor posted:

And they probably weren't even the same individual units, just different inventory of the same product.

I do work in a small business, and we get that all the time. People call a few times to see if we have X in stock, and then say "well it sounds like it's been there a while, what can you do for me on price?" Nothing, jackass, because we sell them every day and just reorder when we're out.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Cross_ posted:

United States of Apple

You mean iEmpire right? Because any nation run by apple is going to be some kind of Orwellian theocracy, built around venerating Steve jobs as god and enforcing a rigid apple world view with no dissent tolerated.

On a more serious note, I find it ridiculous that people think that a company somehow has some kind of moral responsibility to pay people significantly above the market rate.

The purpose of a company is to generate profit for its shareholders, not to artificially make themselves less competetive.

Lower income wages in America are appalling, but it isn't the responsibility of companies to just decide to pay people more out of charity, fault lies with the government for not imposing stronger workplace laws, higher minimum wages, stronger unfair dismissal laws, etc; and fostering a legal environment where unions are relatively powerless and companies can get away with actively trying to discourage staff from unionising.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Sankis posted:

gently caress doing carts in 95 degree heat. I'm stock this week and everything about it is intolerable,
Back when I was a bagger, I'd beg management to allow me to do hours of carts at a time so I don't have to deal with the customer as much, even if it was 110 outside or pouring down rain without a jacket. I don't see how people not like to do them. It was a blessing in disguise.

The store I work at now they are doing 15 minute switchups for carts, what a joke.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Carts is something I love doing also. I don't have to drop everything for every customer that comes near me, I can go my own pace, and my workplace hasn't had AC in almost a week so it's actually cooler outside.

When I worked fast food I had a similar experience changing out the trash cans outside. It was by far the most pleasant job in the whole place.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I don't mind doing carts. It's usually a nice change of pace, but doing it alone in this heat is awful.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I like doing carts at close when the parking lot is next to empty. That way, I can pull one out of the grass and shove it at the handicap spot, letting it roll of its own accord, rinse, and repeat. That being said, the humidity is loving awful lately.

On air conditioning, I have this to say: For each of the past four visits from the DM (so the past four weeks or so), the manager has brought up the fact that our AC is broken. And each time, it has seemingly gotten hotter to the point where CUSTOMERS complain.

It's like it's not broken at all, the DM just hates us. :tinfoil:

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

D34THROW posted:

On air conditioning, I have this to say: For each of the past four visits from the DM (so the past four weeks or so), the manager has brought up the fact that our AC is broken. And each time, it has seemingly gotten hotter to the point where CUSTOMERS complain.

It's like it's not broken at all, the DM just hates us. :tinfoil:

I work at an expensive resort, and in some weird effort to be "green" the main hotel building has this HVAC system that can only be either hot or cold, and it takes like 12 hours to switch between the two. We're in Wisconsin, so it can be 85 during the day in may and 50 at night.

A few weeks ago, the CEO of the multinational company that owns the property was staying with us, and he complained that his room was too hot. Every day. For all six days he was there. And nothing was done, because nothing COULD be done. :buddy:

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

D34THROW posted:

The sense of entitlement some customers have really chaps my rear end.
I work at a used bookstore (that also sells games and electronics) so I get people asking for less all the time, because ???

The way they phrase it most of the time is: "So, can you give me a deal on this?" The way I hear it is: "can i pay less on this item for no reason?"

I dunno, man. 'Deal' kinda implies some give and take. What are you offering here besides cash? Do you have other merchandise we might sell oh wait we have a whole system of store credit in place for that you rear end in a top hat

NO, THERE ARE NO DEALS. THIS IS THE PRICE, YOU ARE NOT DOING ME A FAVOR BY OFFERING TO PAY LESS FOR IT.

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

Admiral Lasers posted:

"So, can you give me a deal on this?"

I blame this on Reader's Digest and other magazines that publish articles like this:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/family/budget/how-to-haggle

No. NO. You may haggle at flea markets and yard sales. Do not go to Best Buy and insist on half off on a brand-spankin'-new TV. Want to save money on your groceries? Use some goddamn coupons and pay attention to the sales, don't be down at the Kroger haggling on loving milk like an rear end in a top hat. STOP THAT.

Its amusing that people seem to think that businesses are obligated to sell their wares for what they paid for them. That's not how it works. If it worked like that, nobody would have a job. Think about it for two seconds, and you'll see why it simply cannot work that way. Businesses exist to make money. I know, I know, its shocking, but darling, that's how it is.

edit: I used to work at Chick-fil-A, and I had someone try to haggle on a cup of sweet tea. She said the McDonald's across the road had the same thing for a dollar. I told her she should probably go there next time, shut the window, and walked away. Can't believe I didn't get in trouble for that.

foobyfooby fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 7, 2012

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
:psyduck: I can not believe that article exists. Big corporate stores DO NOT HAGGLE. If they just gave lower prices to anyone who asked they wouldn't be a big corporate store. They'd be going out of business.

Yes we have had these clocks for over 3 months, but guess what! It's not because we can't sell them, it's because we got in a ton of them and when people buy them we put more out. We're not desperate to get rid of them and we will not give you a lower price.

Also we don't price match! Yes I understand some places do, but we are not Wal-mart! Don't act all mad and take it as a personal affront when you say "Wal-mart has this toy cheaper" and we say "Well you'd better get it there then."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

Buggiezor posted:

:psyduck: I can not believe that article exists. Big corporate stores DO NOT HAGGLE. If they just gave lower prices to anyone who asked they wouldn't be a big corporate store. They'd be going out of business.

Oh yeah, there's shitloads of articles like it floating around out there. Haggling is totally appropriate in some venues, but Best Buy? Wal-mart? No. Kohl's isn't going to go out of business because one harpy, who can't get a sweater for fifteen percent off, decides to go to Target instead. Personally, if I go somewhere and see something I like, but can get for less somewhere else, I go somewhere else. I refuse to embarrass myself like that.

Happens all the time at Mr. Fooby's store.
:rant:"I can get this Kel-Tec for seventy bucks cheaper at Outdoors Emporium! What are you going to do about it?"
:geno: "Humbly suggest you go to Outdoors Emporium. It's not far from here, do you know how to get there?"

Customer will just stare, unable to summon the words to protest, as if the force of his gaze will change anything. It's fun to watch. It's even more fun when Outdoors Emporium doesn't sell the item in question. It's great to watch them come back in an hour and buy the thing without a word.