Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Goodness that's a pretty bike. I love me some VFR. Are they really as much a monster to work on as people say? I've always thought they were super cool bikes, but the maintenance horror stories always scare me off.

New page content: The old CBR up the hill near Yarnell, AZ on my way to Prescott.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Well I had to post about some electrical issues I was having in the questions thread, turns out the regulators are a weak point in them. It took me 3 hours the 1st time I changed the oil, because the fairings are a puzzle (but I have no reference point since it's my first bike.)

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Quite A Tool posted:

Goodness that's a pretty bike. I love me some VFR. Are they really as much a monster to work on as people say? I've always thought they were super cool bikes, but the maintenance horror stories always scare me off.

New page content: The old CBR up the hill near Yarnell, AZ on my way to Prescott.

All bikes should be in 90's colors. Hot

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

What maintenance horror stories? All I've ever heard about VFR's is that they're virtually maintenance free, have an incredibly useful powerband, and that it sounds magical.

Then I bought one and although there are a few electrical problems, most of what I fixed was due to the age of the bike.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

EvilCrayon posted:

What maintenance horror stories? All I've ever heard about VFR's is that they're virtually maintenance free, have an incredibly useful powerband, and that it sounds magical.

Then I bought one and although there are a few electrical problems, most of what I fixed was due to the age of the bike.

The early VFRs and off and on in their history have had top end oiling issues as well.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I think it was more of the early 82'-83' Sabres that has the camshafts made of butter. The 85 and up interceptors should be pretty bulletproof though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

orthod0ks posted:

All bikes should be in 90's colors. Hot

This bike in this paint scheme is way up there in my dream garage list:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

quote:

New models with VTAKS mean valve adjustments are 10 hours at shop labor. Also, working on the carbs is often a huge pita.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

80's and 90's had the best decals because the entire purpose of them was to guide your eyes to something from ~The Future~, like ~Twin Cam~ or ~Four Wheel Drive~

gently caress yeah.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Also, working on the carbs is often a huge pita.

It takes as much wrenching skill as it does hope and prayers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xovaan posted:

80's and 90's had the best decals because the entire purpose of them was to guide your eyes to something from ~The Future~, like ~Twin Cam~ or ~Four Wheel Drive~

Or on that TW200, the futuristic science-fiction technology of ~ELECTRIC~ (starter)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Z3n posted:

New models with VTAKS mean valve adjustments are 10 hours at shop labor. Also, working on the carbs is often a huge pita.

Also the VTEC VFR800 went for chain driven cams, which ends up requiring a can chain tensioner replacement eventually.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

EvilCrayon posted:

When I said maintenance I didn't mean reliability wise, it's just that when you finally do take the fairings off everything is a bitch and a half to work on from what I've heard.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Ten hours???? Holy loving poo poo honda finally worked out how to make money on the vfr. Chain drive to the valves and a wallet raping valve check.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Honda is really good at making fancy cool high tech bikes that are impossible to work on :(

Taking the fairings off my CBR alone was like a puzzle box

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
My Bandit, complete with red racing rim tape and huge chickenstrips

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
Just got a new Street Triple. After reading some advice on here and talking to another fat guy who owns the normal one I decided against the extra cash on the R. Ended up getting it in black even though I was thinking blue. Black just seemed to catch my eye more.

All in all a good deal at the dealer which I was worried about. Ended up walking about without freight and prep and 30% off accessories (Just missed the free accessories deal which sucks). I ordered the belly pan, front cowl and windscreen. Those should be in next week.

Rode about 50 miles just to get a feel for it and goddamn does this thing move. Haven't been brave enough to really give it full throttle but it's definitely quick. It also tips into turn so loving quick and easy. At like 50 it just flops right over, seriously a joy to ride.

Thunderstorm watch has pissed me off by making we wait until tomorrow for the break in trip, but that's ok, it'll be worth it.

Uploaded a couple of pics, not much to see but I figured I would post them.

Gallery

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Finished my WR250X makeover, including a very much needed front brake upgrade.

When I got it:

What it looks like now:

Now I need CA's advice, did I screw up trimming that front fender or what? At first glance I was sure I did, but now I'm not sure if it doesn't look bad or not. A proper sumo Cycra fender is only $30 and comes in yamaha blue, so it's not a big deal to fix.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Looks fine to me. In comparison, the first picture makes it look like a big purple dong.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I think the fenders cut short look silly - I'd go with a sumo fender, or get a stock one that's cut a little longer.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I'm on the fence about whether or not it's too short. For comparison the Cycra:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I don't like the Cycra because it's angled up to much.

(Note: I am a picky baby)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

There's also Acerbis:

Or a YZ85 fender:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I like the YZ85 one the best, but hey, not my bike :)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Actually I think I'm going with the UFO Type II, not too popular but pretty clean looking.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Gnaghi posted:

Finished my WR250X makeover, including a very much needed front brake upgrade.

When I got it:

What it looks like now:

Now I need CA's advice, did I screw up trimming that front fender or what? At first glance I was sure I did, but now I'm not sure if it doesn't look bad or not. A proper sumo Cycra fender is only $30 and comes in yamaha blue, so it's not a big deal to fix.

I like the fender, dude. That poo poo looks awesome.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Would you believe that's a lake?

That's a 1982 GS650E. The E is important, there weren't many made. Most of them were G's. I like my chain drive.

Edit: VVVVVV------- Yup. "G" in suzuki-eez, means shaft drive.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 9, 2012

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The G was shaft drive, right?

Silvah
Aug 27, 2004
s0me
http://i.imgur.com/rMCkS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7970O.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3ZwQX.jpg

My new 2012 Yamaha FZ8. I love it. It reminds me of a stealth fighter in its design and color, and rides really well.

Silvah fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 10, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Man, awesome bike. They're one of the few that I actually fit on, actually. How's the power compare to its counterparts (Bandits / FZ's/ etc)?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Matte Black bikes....
:swoon:

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Silvah posted:

http://i.imgur.com/rMCkS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7970O.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3ZwQX.jpg

My new 2012 Yamaha FZ8. I love it. It reminds me of a stealth fighter in its design and color, and rides really well.

Nice, really like that bike. Probably will replace my 919 some day.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I've looked at them too, tho I don't really want my next bike to be so close to what I have now.

They're a bit heavier than the FZ6s but when I looked up the power I liked it a lot more. Basically the same top hp as the 6, but with actual usable torque on the street.

How are you liking the motor?

Silvah
Aug 27, 2004
s0me
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Xovaan, I'm not familiar with the comparable bikes, I've only ridden a Ninja 500 and a DRZ-400SM on the street (and various 250/450F dirt bikes), but I can say that compared to the Ninja (which is at about 60 HP vs the ~100 for the FZ8), the power is night and day.

The power seems to be everywhere, it's got a perfect amount of low-end pull for city cruising and commuting, a bit of a flat spot around 4500-5500 RPM or so, which has been the subject of a lot of complaints, but apparently was put in for a reason. Akrapovic makes a full exhaust that they claim (and show dyno graphs) smooths this out. Mid range is great though, even though there's the flat spot, it feels perfectly tuned for ~4.5-5K cruising, and definitely has the pickup to get moving from there when I roll on the throttle. Once the bike hits 6000 RPM, it's like a light switch, similar to driving a turbocharged car. The power shoots up and it SCREAMS to peak around 10K.

nsaP, I love the motor. Although I haven't ridden the FZ6, this one feels great to me, coming from my mostly dirt background (torque is king there). I was comparing it to the FZ1, which I didn't get a chance to test ride, but decided to go with the 8, since I was looking for a more modest "commuter/weekend canyon warrior" experience, rather than all out balls.

Definitely really happy with the purchase, I highly recommend it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Silvah posted:

a bit of a flat spot around 4500-5500 RPM or so, which has been the subject of a lot of complaints, but apparently was put in for a reason.

EPA I'm guessing. Even with stock exhaust pieces, if you get a power commander and get that thing tuned, it will be a completely different (in a good way) bike.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Nerobro posted:

1982 GS650E.

I have the exact same bike. I put bars on mine too and it changed the whole look of it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Whats the real world gas millage on the FZ8 like? I was looking at the FZ1 when I was shopping for a larger standard to replace my FZ6 but everyone said the FZ1 had poo poo millage. If they fixed that the FZ8 would make for an absolutely awesome commuter.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I'm psyched to finally be posting here . . . my bike is now fully operational (if not a little finicky).

1981 Honda CX500c. Still some gremlins to work out, but more importantly :dance:. My first (tiny 20 minute to get some gas) ride was both pants-shittingly scary and mind-blowingly amazing. I got back, parked, shakily drank a glass of water, and then immediately wanted to go back out again!

Lanky_Nibz fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 11, 2012

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Boru posted:

my bike is now fully operational...immediately wanted to go back out again

Consider yourself bit. Great news, and what up CT homeboy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Nice dude! Those bikes are interesting breeds. They share a lot of components with sport bikes from the generation so they're pretty innovative for the time.