Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heqdegon
Jul 2, 2012
Whenever I make a post on the internet, I feel the compelling need to weave something witty or at least insightful into it, in order to set some form of impression. However sitting here now, I guess it feels a little more difficult than usual and somewhat inappropriate. After lurking for quite a while, this is my first post, and as I’ve scoped out this is the thread in which you submit your test posts in order to be bastardised by other people, later going on to be edited by authors and pipelined to threads. At this moment I’m throwing together quite a mammoth screenshot LP, at least by my standards, and I’d appreciate it if some nice folks here could take a look at it. Unfortunately at this present stage only the OP is completed, however I figured that if I could not exceed past the first hurdle correctly, going on to narrate a bunch of screenshots whilst not scouting out one’s mistakes first would be a fool’s errand, and that test posting the OP first would be a much wiser decision.

Would anyone kindly tell me if I should continue with this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Several things.

1. I hate you so much right now as I myself am working on a video lp of Bioshock.
2. That's a bit too many words. Your OP should attract people, not turn them away with a wall of words. It should also concern the actual game itself.
3. Having your first post ready would be much better for judging then just an op.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Edit: /\/\/\ - Case in point.

Heqdegon posted:

Bioshock LP

It's kinda hard to gauge the quality of your LP without an LP to look at, but more importantly, why are you doing a SSLP of Bioshock? That kind of a game that needs to be in video format.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Heqdegon posted:

Words loosely related to Bioshock

Also going through it again,

4. Background info and such should be talked about when it feels right/natural.
5. Don't include spoilers of the game in your own op.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Heqdegon posted:

Whenever I make a post on the internet, I feel the compelling need to weave something witty or at least insightful into it, in order to set some form of impression. However sitting here now, I guess it feels a little more difficult than usual and somewhat inappropriate. After lurking for quite a while, this is my first post, and as I’ve scoped out this is the thread in which you submit your test posts in order to be bastardised by other people, later going on to be edited by authors and pipelined to threads. At this moment I’m throwing together quite a mammoth screenshot LP, at least by my standards, and I’d appreciate it if some nice folks here could take a look at it. Unfortunately at this present stage only the OP is completed, however I figured that if I could not exceed past the first hurdle correctly, going on to narrate a bunch of screenshots whilst not scouting out one’s mistakes first would be a fool’s errand, and that test posting the OP first would be a much wiser decision.

Would anyone kindly tell me if I should continue with this thread?
The OP is not representative of what your LP is going to be and is thus not really the first hurdle. Secondly you are being a bit overly wordy with just an explanation of your test post; if you feel the need to pump out this many words just to re-explain the point of the sandcastle and to say "Here's just an OP, is this good enough?" it seems a bit excessive. Let your work be your justification, don't let an excuse pave the way into what you're wanting to show.

But as Brainamp said you've got a very wordy OP and it's a bit more than you need, especially since it gives no indication as to how your actual LP is going to be. I'd also have to agree with TaurusOxford in that a SSLP would not really be the best way to show off Bioshock. It's got a lot of great audio elements and visual elements that are just lost without video; is there any particular reason you feel that a SSLP format would work better for you?

Heqdegon
Jul 2, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

...why are you doing a SSLP of Bioshock? That kind of a game that needs to be in video format.

Niggurath posted:

is there any particular reason you feel that a SSLP format would work better for you?

Ah, multiple reasons in actuality. BioShock is a game that features quite a lot of RPG elements, I feel it would be an interesting perspective jump in an out of narrative, especially in a game that features so many creepy and macabre elements, text I feel, is also the only way I could squeeze the mass amount of information winded into this game, without the need of a 20 page script each part.

Secondly, you do not want to hear my standard of commentary, and if you were to sift through the SA archives, you would find that a video Let’s Play of BioShock already exists, and quite a good one at that. I have no interesting gimmicks or play styles lined up in order to add an interesting spin to the experience without seeing everything all over again, and a screenshot run is the only way I felt like I could deviate away from that playthrough.

Everyone posted:

Too many words.
Ah, I do apologise, I do believe I got a little carried away during that typing session. In response to why I only included the only OP in my test post however, I am thankful to learn that it is for this particular learning curve - the notes I incorporated to co-inside with my play through of this game where in excess, probably leading up to an abundance of text to go along with each screenshot I made of this game, something I have now learned is not very apreciated. It was nice to learn that before going ahead and typing up the main content of this LP, however I do understand, maybe including simply the OP for this test post may have been a mistake.

Heqdegon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 6, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Heqdegon posted:

more words

You shouldn't worry about what someone else did, only use it as a reference. Bioshock is very much a game of atmosphere, atmosphere that cannot be translated in any way to a SS lp. Take the opening sequence for instance. Andrew Ryan gives this great speech and then... RAPTURE! The motion and tone of the scene is everything and with screenshots you get... rapture. Do you get what I'm saying at all?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Heqdegon posted:

Ah, multiple reasons in actuality. BioShock is a game that features quite a lot of RPG elements, I feel it would be an interesting perspective jump in an out of narrative, especially in a game that features so many creepy and macabre elements, text I feel, is also the only way I could squeeze the mass amount of information winded into this game, without the need of a 20 page script each part.

Secondly, you do not want to hear my standard of commentary, and if you were to sift through the SA archives, you would find that a video Let’s Play of BioShock already exists, and quite a good one at that. I have no interesting gimmicks or play styles lined up in order to add an interesting spin to the experience without seeing everything all over again, and a screenshot run is the only way I felt like I could deviate away from that playthrough.

Ah, I do apologise, I do believe I got a little carried away during that typing session. In response to why I only included the only OP in my test post however, I am thankful to learn that it is for this particular learning curve - the notes I incorporated to co-inside with my play through of this game where in excess, probably leading up to an abundance of text to go along with each screenshot I made of this game, something I have now learned is not very apreciated. It was nice to learn that before going ahead and typing up the main content of this LP, however I do understand, maybe including simply the OP for this test post may have been a mistake.
There was an LP of Bioshock 2 done, but Bioshock 1 has not had a completed LP done on here (and the one that was attempted only got maybe two or three updates in). Maybe you are a bit confused on that end; but no one would expect a gimmick run and it seems like if you're wanting to do some type of narrative that you'll be doing something akin to that but in screenshot format. Also you could easily show off additional things in videos as well as you could in screenshots or just have ancillary information present in the thread itself. But Brainamp pointed out just that the opening part, which plenty of people are familiar with, would be utterly lain impotent via screenshots. The ferocity of a Big Daddy, the haunting child-like meanderings of Little Sisters, or the insane ramblings of Splicers would be lost in screenshots.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Heqdegon posted:

You do not want to hear my standard of commentary

Do you have a genuinely hard time speaking, or do you just hate your voice/accent and want to avoid using it?

Heqdegon
Jul 2, 2012
Monologues and speeches were something I were planning to type up via referring to scripts in the game as it happened, however sound clips are something I could easily fetch using recording software on my PC.

Atmosphere was something I was hoping to set via character immersion, speaking the words of his mind and describing his fear as he turned each and every tentative corner, almost as if it were a book, however if a screenshot LP is truly a step in the wrong direction in terms of atmospheric survival horrors, then I suppose only posting the OP was a good idea to gauge that from my peers, before going on to write up this mammoth task.

A video LP is something I could look into, though I do honestly do doubt that after viewing quite a few video LPs I thought were fairly decent, shot down. Text format, especially with most of my interests revolving around English literature, is something I would feel more comfortable in. Maybe it's simply down to game choice and preference.

I'll try a few test recordings, however most likely, switch to a SSLP of a more apropriate game.

Heqdegon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 6, 2012

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Niggurath posted:

There was an LP of Bioshock 2 done...

It got abandoned 1 maybe 2 videos from the end :(.

Heqdegon
Jul 2, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Do you have a genuinely hard time speaking, or do you just hate your voice/accent and want to avoid using it?
A mixture. I suppose it's all in my head and isn't really important in the long run, LPs are more about the game than the author, but if you're complaining that *screenshots* would ruin the immersion of the game, and that seems to be the hinging factor, I dread to think what my voice would do to that immersion. As aforementioned, I'll pop out a couple test recordings and pick the best one, I'll see how going down that route will fare.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Heqdegon posted:

A mixture. I suppose it's all in my head and isn't really important in the long run, LPs are more about the game than the author, but if you're complaining that *screenshots* would ruin the immersion of the game, and that seems to be the hinging factor, I dread to think what my voice would do to that immersion. As aforementioned, I'll pop out a couple test recordings and pick the best one, I'll see how going down that route will fare.

Well the important thing there is just to not speak over in-game dialogue. Let the immersion and story speak for itself. As long as you speak clearly and speak only when needed(explaining game mechanics or enemy types, etc), no one is going to have a problem with your voice.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Heqdegon posted:

Monologues and speeches were something I were planning to type up via referring to scripts in the game as it happened, however sound clips are something I could easily fetch using recording software on my PC.

Atmosphere was something I was hoping to set via character immersion, speaking the words of his mind and describing his fear as he turned each and every tentative corner, almost as if it were a book, however if a screenshot LP is truly a step in the wrong direction in terms of atmospheric survival horrors, then I suppose only posting the OP was a good idea to gauge that from my peers, before going on to write up this mammoth task.

A video LP is something I could look into, though I do honestly do doubt that after viewing quite a few video LPs I thought were fairly decent, shot down. Text format, especially with most of my interests revolving around English literature, is something I would feel more comfortable in. Maybe it's simply down to game choice and preference.

I'll try a few test recordings, however most likely, switch to a SSLP of a more apropriate game.
But what's the harm in showing the areas off in video and allowing the audience to formulate their own feelings and inferences from the environment. You're just adding a superfluous level of narration on top of game that is already fine with setting it's own mood, themes, and ideas. Really the game is as easy as you want it to be to LP, since something like Bastion, it actually does a fairly good job of explaining itself and laying down the groundwork for you in regards to storyline. If you want to have more characterization or in-depth plot analysis, then that is what the thread is for. Why limit people to mere sound bites or reading through text dumps in lieu?

Major_JF posted:

It got abandoned 1 maybe 2 videos from the end
That's a shame; I honestly heard nothing but good things about it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Maybe do a video and SSLP in one? Use videos to show off the more atmospheric/dramatic parts, use screenshots when you want to jam pages of words at people. Of course, doing both would be a ton of work, but it would both show off the game and let you say all the things you say you have to say.

Hell, you might consider doing subtitles for a game like Bioshock anyway. Either way, at the very least you'd want to do video for important cutscenes and edit in some videos for the more interesting action segments and boss fights, even if you don't narrate those. At any rate, you've got more options available than strictly screenshot or video.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I don't think that Bioshock is so horribly deep of a game that you'd need paragraphs on paragraphs of information, unless you spill the entire mechanics in the first few updates. In which case, you'd have a problem with commentary for the later ones.

I mean, this isn't Nethack where what the interface even is is obscure. It's a modern AAA game, it's bound to have tutorials and info boxes and such.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'd just like to thank LP collectively for the major drop in drama we've been having lately. It's been awhile since we've really had any major flares in stupid infighting or offensively awful Let's Plays or abject creepiness or whatever. So thanks! Keep it up.

As a side note, slowbeef is going to be posting a slightly updated version of the Let's Play rules soon, so keep an eye out for that.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Heqdegon posted:

A screenshot LP can be perfectly serviceable even for action-y games, depending on the pacing of the gameplay itself. Would I recommend screenshots for Mega Man X? Never. Would I recommend screenshots for Bioshock? Certainly. I've seen SSLPs of Deus Ex before, and Bioshock could be considered a distant cousin. The main problem I encountered with the screenshot format was precisely capturing the action at times, but then I switched to recording, then grabbing stills with VirtualDubMod. See if that doesn't work for you.

Zorak posted:

As a side note, slowbeef is going to be posting a slightly updated version of the Let's Play rules soon, so keep an eye out for that.

Updated rules? I'm on the edge of my rear end, Zorak! :haw:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Zorak posted:

I'd just like to thank LP collectively for the major drop in drama we've been having lately. It's been awhile since we've really had any major flares in stupid infighting or offensively awful Let's Plays or abject creepiness or whatever. So thanks! Keep it up.

Sorry, I'm confused. Did some big drama happen recently, and this was sarcasm, or was this genuine honesty, and the rules change is completely unrelated to any potential drama?

If it was the former, I missed it. If it's the latter, hooray!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Suspicious Dish posted:

Sorry, I'm confused. Did some big drama happen recently, and this was sarcasm, or was this genuine honesty, and the rules change is completely unrelated to any potential drama?

If it was the former, I missed it. If it's the latter, hooray!

It's not sarcasm as far as I can tell. The rules change does make me curious however.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It's been a while since the Dragon Age 2 LP and that was the last Drama of the Day. HelloWinter is actively working to kill the "you can't LP Phoenix Wright" argument once and for all. Yeah it's been kinda quiet lately.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Man, remember the days when we actually called Bioshock an un-LPable game? That still kind of amazes me.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 7, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rocketlex posted:

Man, remember the days when we actually called Bioshock an un-LPable game? That still kind of amazes me.

Why did we call it that?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't remember anyone calling it that.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
It wasn't nearly as pronounced as the Phoenix Wright thing, but for many months after it passed the six-month rule (which preceded the three-month rule we have now) the basic feeling was that Bioshock was such an amazing game that no LP could do it justice.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Brainamp posted:

Why did we call it that?
For me I can only assume because it was such a highly regarded game that people attached a lot of political pathos to and that has a plenty of area to cover in regards to design, thematic usage of sound, and the possibly daunting task (and danger) of bringing up Rand and Objectivism. Really though, I feel that Bioshock is a game that could easily carry itself, and the audience, with a reasonable amount of effort and that you don't need to shoulder it as Atlas shouldered the world. People shouldn't make fear stop them from trying, but rather just let the harsh reality of sucking or being inept or trying too hard truly be the determining factor in whether it's a worth effort. Hell, I feel inclined to do it now out of spite. It probably wouldn't knock your socks off but it would be an earnest attempt to show it can be done.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Niggurath posted:

Hell, I feel inclined to do it now out of spite. It probably wouldn't knock your socks off but it would be an earnest attempt to show it can be done.

I'm actually finalizing my test video right now, so it just worried me. I did say earlier that I was working on it.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

flatluigi posted:

I don't remember anyone calling it that.

It was so popular, 2 hadn't come out, and people were going crazy about subs vs. dynamic subs vs. voice and the quantity of them for the best way to preserver the atmosphere or even if it was worth preserving. The bright side is we got dynamic Blisters out of it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Brainamp posted:

I'm actually finalizing my test video right now, so it just worried me. I did say earlier that I was working on it.
You know the law of the highlands...there can be only one. But seriously, I would never step on anyone's toes or I would do an awkward gimmick run of nothing but the wrench. I just find it a bit silly to put a game up so high. Appreciation for art can be a beautiful thing, but it shouldn't inhibit other artists.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 7, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

And here is my test post for Bioshock.

I'm not happy with how the final product came out so I'll probably redo it tomorrow once I've gotten some sleep. Please, critique away. I think most of my displeasure lies in that I try explain a lot in the tutorial level.

Also I'm having trouble deciding over the Title. I plan to go with What is a Man? Any suggestions?

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 7, 2012

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What is a man is good, considering the human modification/improvement themes.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Brainamp posted:

I'm not happy with how the final product came out so I'll probably redo it tomorrow once I've gotten some sleep. Please, critique away. I think most of my displeasure lies in that I try explain a lot in the tutorial level.

Also I'm having trouble deciding over the Title. I plan to go with What is a Man? Any suggestions?

Would you kindly enter my thread would be my personal choice, although it's understandable that many would object to that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Normally I'd go for that too, but it would probably get...well, you know.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Brainamp posted:

Commentary could use improvement, like saying looting is core to survival is really stating the obvious in a survival type game which is what I always considered Bioshock.

Other than that, it looks pretty good to me, and a Subtitled Screenshot LP is basically how I would say to go about this game, so, at least a good job resisting doing voiced commentary, that would probably be the only way I'd say you definitely should not do this game, even though it is much less work.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Brainamp posted:

"Are We not entitled to Play Bioshock?"

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Brassherald posted:

Commentary could use improvement, like saying looting is core to survival is really stating the obvious in a survival type game which is what I always considered Bioshock.

Other than that, it looks pretty good to me, and a Subtitled Screenshot LP is basically how I would say to go about this game, so, at least a good job resisting doing voiced commentary, that would probably be the only way I'd say you definitely should not do this game, even though it is much less work.

Yeah, I felt like my commentary was rushed in a few places. As for the choice of commentary look at the top of this very page. I feel that SS would not do the game enough justice.

I don't really want to give anything away if I can help it. You never know who hasn't played the game.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Brainamp posted:

Yeah, I felt like my commentary was rushed in a few places. As for the choice of commentary look at the top of this very page. I feel that SS would not do the game enough justice.

I would agree with you, it's a very atmospheric game, and you lose that when you get rid of video, in my opinion.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Brainamp posted:

Any suggestions?

Yes. I hope this doesn't sound unduly cruel, but don't do this. Or at least try harder.

I made it four subs in before I had to stop. For the love of rational self interest, use proper punctuation when doing a subtitle LP. For example:

From the video posted:

Well thats rather ominous...

I don't know if you just rushed it or if you just didn't care enough, but I don't consider this to be remotely acceptable in an Sub-VLP. Now, everyone makes mistakes, but this looks awful.

But, hey, I thought maybe it gets better. I started again and had to stop on the very next one.

From the video posted:

looks like the only way to go though

:eng99: Okay, if these are subordinate clauses to the same large sentence, it's probably not technically grammatically wrong, but it just looks terrible and lazy.

I would complain about your timing of the subtitles, but since you seem to have nothing interesting or important to say, it doesn't really matter.

Basically, go back to the drawing board. If you are unwilling or incapable of doing the requisite work in a SUB-VLP correctly, don't do it at all. Find another game or try voiced commentary.

Also, if you think I'm being too harsh:

Niggurath posted:

Hell, I feel inclined to do it now out of spite. It probably wouldn't knock your socks off but it would be an earnest attempt to show it can be done.

If Niggurath is willing to dig up his two previous test posts for Sub-Bioshock, they could serve as an object lesson as to the nuts-and-bolts requirements. Both of those put in the requisite amount of work, and I still thought they were not good enough to watch (each for different reasons.)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Magnetic North posted:

Yes. I hope this doesn't sound unduly cruel, but don't do this. Or at least try harder.

I did say I wasn't happy with how they turned out dude. I plan on going back through and editing it heavily. If I'm not mistaken that is the point of a test post is to make mistakes and to rectify them later. Thanks for me making me feel bad about myself, though.

However, please show me a good example of a sub-lp that you want me to emulate if you have one.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Brainamp posted:

I did say I wasn't happy with how they turned out dude. I plan on going back through and editing it heavily. If I'm not mistaken that is the point of a test post is to make mistakes and to rectify them later. Thanks for me making me feel bad about myself, though.

Hey dude, don't get so personal and defensive. If you thought it was poo poo, why didn't you re-do it until you thought it was alright? The point of the Sandcastle is to point out mistakes and help people get over them, but if you post something and go "yeah, I know it's poo poo, I'll go over it later and fix it" nobody's going to bother looking at it.

Try and make it look most like the actual OP that you'd make, then you can actually get proper responses.

• Locked thread