Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I was drawn for a limited entry hunt for anterless elk this winter! Delicious elk here I come :chef:

Aw dude, that's awesome. I hope you bag at least one. What's your limit?

I wanna see what you're gonna cook!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Aw dude, that's awesome. I hope you bag at least one. What's your limit?

I wanna see what you're gonna cook!

Limit, hmmm. Its a bit interesting. The tag is for one anterless elk, but there is nothing to cut. It would be possible for me to bag more than one. I could bring the first one home and cut it up myself (a butcher would require the tag to accompany the carcass) and go out with the tag and bag a second. I am also First Nations, and although by provincial law we are told to follow the Limited Entry Hunting Regulations, ie. I may only shoot one antlerless elk as per my LEH tag, the conservation officers do not enforce it for fear of stirring up some serious poo poo with First Nations people. In reality I can hunt any animal in the province, in any season. Thats not our style, my family follows the regs because its the right thing to do.

I think one elk is plenty, I don't have enough freezer space right now and will have to buy a deep freeze :D

Cow elk is sooo gooood. You can do anything with the meat, from barbecue ribs to prime rib to hamburger. It has a mild game flavour and is delicious. My dad used to hunt deer in the interior of the province. One old buck he brought home stank up the house, we had to cook it outside on the barbecue for the dogs.

EDIT: We we hiking yesterday and the dogs were about 1 metre from catching a grouse. Gotta get a .22 for the hubby and get some upland bird this fall too!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
please send me some delicious elk thx tia

Slugger City Bully Buddies is doing an event this weekend with Backyard Bulldogs for a weight pull demo/seminar. I really know very little about it so I'm interested to check it out.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Superconsndar posted:

Yeah pretty much. Around here it's farmers/smallholders/rednecks unloading extra and/or crappy poultry/rabbits/game birds/lambs/piglets and the occasional barn kittens and working pups. The local rescues like to get their panties completely wadded up over it. There was this one lady who kept guinea pigs for meat and would sell them and they harassed her until she stopped going.

I find it pretty unlikely the average redneck is raising mini-lops, angoras, and lionheads for meat, and PUREBREED SIAMEEZ CATS as barn cats, but maybe in your area they do? It's basically stall after stall of that poo poo, along with Morki-Doodle-Froodle-Poos, and accidental litters of generic GSD/Lab mutt puppies.

I mean, I know everyone who disagrees with these kinds of swap things is always "city-folk", but I grew up on a working cattle farm and understand the concept of livestock animals. I'm fine with people eating animals and selling livestock, but these are clearly lovely backyard breeders. Several of them I know, because they constantly email our rescue trying to dump off extra animals.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Rodent Mortician posted:

I find it pretty unlikely the average redneck is raising mini-lops, angoras, and lionheads for meat, and PUREBREED SIAMEEZ CATS as barn cats, but maybe in your area they do? It's basically stall after stall of that poo poo, along with Morki-Doodle-Froodle-Poos, and accidental litters of generic GSD/Lab mutt puppies.

I mean, I know everyone who disagrees with these kinds of swap things is always "city-folk", but I grew up on a working cattle farm and understand the concept of livestock animals. I'm fine with people eating animals and selling livestock, but these are clearly lovely backyard breeders. Several of them I know, because they constantly email our rescue trying to dump off extra animals.

Yeah if that's the case that's pretty gross then

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Limit, hmmm. Its a bit interesting. The tag is for one anterless elk, but there is nothing to cut. It would be possible for me to bag more than one. I could bring the first one home and cut it up myself (a butcher would require the tag to accompany the carcass) and go out with the tag and bag a second. I am also First Nations, and although by provincial law we are told to follow the Limited Entry Hunting Regulations, ie. I may only shoot one antlerless elk as per my LEH tag, the conservation officers do not enforce it for fear of stirring up some serious poo poo with First Nations people. In reality I can hunt any animal in the province, in any season. Thats not our style, my family follows the regs because its the right thing to do.

I think one elk is plenty, I don't have enough freezer space right now and will have to buy a deep freeze :D

Cow elk is sooo gooood. You can do anything with the meat, from barbecue ribs to prime rib to hamburger. It has a mild game flavour and is delicious. My dad used to hunt deer in the interior of the province. One old buck he brought home stank up the house, we had to cook it outside on the barbecue for the dogs.

EDIT: We we hiking yesterday and the dogs were about 1 metre from catching a grouse. Gotta get a .22 for the hubby and get some upland bird this fall too!

What province are you from? Manitoba here, and yes, Elk is delicious. Father-in-law has bagged a couple in the last 4 years, and my cousin has a landowner's tag so he can bag one/year that's on his farm property.

Elk is like a freaking awesome cross between deer and beef. It's fantastic without being mega-gamey.

Mmmmmm elk.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Siochain posted:

What province are you from? Manitoba here, and yes, Elk is delicious. Father-in-law has bagged a couple in the last 4 years, and my cousin has a landowner's tag so he can bag one/year that's on his farm property.

Elk is like a freaking awesome cross between deer and beef. It's fantastic without being mega-gamey.

Mmmmmm elk.

BC! My family is from Ontario so I can also go back east and hunt their moose too.

My dad knows a farmer up where I will be hunting, and the guy as asked my dad to come shoot 3 pregnant female elk, because they are such a problem in that area. My dad can't actually just go shoot 3 elk (he's not First Nations), the guy was just making a point. I think I'll try to get my elk on his land.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
I was politely informed by a co worker today that chicken is bad for dogs. :iiam:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Maybe your co-worker heard all the fuss over chicken jerky lately and forgot the "jerky" part...? :confused:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Or maybe they meant dogs were bad for chickens.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Chicken and poultry in general is fairly allergenic due to the nature of factory farming and the bacteria/antibiotics/hormones they are exposed to, and most dog food companies don't source their chicken well, even some of the premium ones. (Pasture raised organic is where it's at yo) Though I doubt it, maybe that's what she meant?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Oh for crying out loud. We got back from taking one cat to the vet and found that another cat had escaped from the house while we were away.

Luckily Timmy is a) completely fearless :downs: and b) super food-oriented. He hadn't freaked out and hidden anywhere and he trotted right up when I shook some dry food around. But goddamn, Timmy. Way to scare me.

(The pantry windows were open, screenless, because of construction/painting and the kitchen door had popped open while we were out. Bah.)

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Last night sucked. Ready for bed. Let out Kiya and go to brush my teeth. Go to the door to let her back in. Not there. Strange. Walk outside. Smell Skunk. Go "gently caress". Soo instead of sleeping, I got to tie her up to give her a quick skunk bath before letting her in to give her a real good one. She was crying from the hose cuz she hates water so much. :( Didn't exactly want to use the hose,but I couldn't let that stink in the house, plus even though it was 1am, it was still 85+ outside.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
Look at this awesome chicken I saw yesterday

I have pics of like 20 weird chickens and some rabbits and goats and pigs
also some sea lions.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That's an impressive hairdo. How does it even see? That's a great chicken, do you know what sort it is?

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Not really a chicken expert,but it looks like your typical Polish.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Silkie, I think. As I recall from Chickam discussions, the breeds with heavy fluff up top sometimes do have trouble seeing--they get picked on sometimes, maybe because they're not good at seeing other chickens' social cues.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
It's been over 100 degrees F for the last couple of weeks, usually getting up to about 106 during the day. Consequently our air conditioner has been running like crazy and the cats are shedding more than usual. I've been trying to keep them brushed and the floors vacuumed (we have wood floors, so the fur just forms tumbleweeds), but since our air return is near the floor in the middle of the apartment, the filter was completely clogged with cat fur in just two weeks.

Not having a Wal-Mart or other cheap-o store in the city, I went to Home Depot today to get a bunch of cheap filters, figuring they'd have the largest selection.

In our size, the cheapest option was 3/$8, allergen reducing, super-filters. (The cheap ones are like $1/each.) When I told the guy my problem (going through filters like crazy because of cats shedding due to heat), he suggested I vacuum my cats.

:catstare:

He recommended a shop vac.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
For all the prize winners I took pics of the tags, I missed that guys.
going to start a pic dump thread.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

ChairmanMeow posted:

For all the prize winners I took pics of the tags, I missed that guys.
going to start a pic dump thread.

If you don't want to start a whole new thread I'm always happy to have more pictures in my farming/livestock pictures thread :)

That chicken definitely looks like a silkie.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Nione posted:

he suggested I vacuum my cats.

My old cat Miss Kitty (shut up I was like 10) used to loving love being vacuumed. Every other cat would scatter like roaches when the vacuum roared on, but she'd come ambling over and flop onto her back for the hose attachment :3:

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Instant Jellyfish posted:

If you don't want to start a whole new thread I'm always happy to have more pictures in my farming/livestock pictures thread :)

That chicken definitely looks like a silkie.

Thanks for the chicken ID, I had already started putting together a long rear end chicken portion :( I totally need to pop into that thread and see the animals though

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Nione posted:

It's been over 100 degrees F for the last couple of weeks, usually getting up to about 106 during the day. Consequently our air conditioner has been running like crazy and the cats are shedding more than usual. I've been trying to keep them brushed and the floors vacuumed (we have wood floors, so the fur just forms tumbleweeds), but since our air return is near the floor in the middle of the apartment, the filter was completely clogged with cat fur in just two weeks.

Not having a Wal-Mart or other cheap-o store in the city, I went to Home Depot today to get a bunch of cheap filters, figuring they'd have the largest selection.

In our size, the cheapest option was 3/$8, allergen reducing, super-filters. (The cheap ones are like $1/each.) When I told the guy my problem (going through filters like crazy because of cats shedding due to heat), he suggested I vacuum my cats.

It's really common to shop vac horses (and any dogs at the barn who may put up with it). I could see being able to train a food motivated cat to put up with it as long as it's a lower suction vacuum so it doesn't hurt them.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Enelrahc posted:

It's really common to shop vac horses (and any dogs at the barn who may put up with it). I could see being able to train a food motivated cat to put up with it as long as it's a lower suction vacuum so it doesn't hurt them.

I still think it was a completely off the wall recommendation from a random Home Depot employee to a customer looking for cheaper air filters. He claimed to have experience in vacuuming cats, but I'm doubtful he's met many cats if he thinks vacuuming is the easiest solution to excessive air filter consumption.

I wonder how often I'd need to vacuum each cat in order to make my $3 filter last longer? Also, figuring in the cost of the shop vac he wanted to sell me, how many vacuumings/month would I have to perform to pay it off?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It is a pretty funny recommendation, but a good one if your cat doesn't mind it. I'll vacuum Shadow sometimes because he doesn't give a gently caress. I wish my cats were okay with being vacuumed. :argh: None of them are really food motivated enough to work on it. It's like a curse with my family for every pet we own to be really picky eaters. Even my mother's fatass pugs have become picky.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
One of my cats for some weird reason loves being vacuumed.

The other runs away and hides as soon as he hears a vacuum, so brushing for him.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So I went to that weight pull demo last night... I can't believe I hadn't heard of these "shorty bulls" that are apparently a thing, what's up with those? :psyduck:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Skizzles posted:

So I went to that weight pull demo last night... I can't believe I hadn't heard of these "shorty bulls" that are apparently a thing, what's up with those? :psyduck:
So now we know what Frankie would look like if he was swoll.

idk I guess they're roided out French Bulldogs...? I don't get this obsession with dogs who's legs are in different longitudes who won't live past their 5th birthday because apparently breeding English Bulldogs into things is what all the cool kids are doing these days.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Not sure how much you'd have to vacuum a cat. This guy bolts when he hears the thing.

This was post brushing and petting. He decided to stay next to my arm.

Then it was my turn to be brushed. Be careful when you gaze brush long into a cat, they brush back.

Also, I bought him a new toy solely because it claims to be bite and rabbit kick resistant. Cost as much as the fluff spider that he's turned into a few shreds of cloth now. It did take him longer to destroy the kong brand fluff spider, I'm not sure what it's actually named, than the toy mice I bought him previously.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Azrael Alexander posted:

idk I guess they're roided out French Bulldogs...? I don't get this obsession with dogs who's legs are in different longitudes who won't live past their 5th birthday because apparently breeding English Bulldogs into things is what all the cool kids are doing these days.

Seems like they're another American Bullies thing to me, I dunno. The weight pull guy seemed to know his poo poo, but his dogs were fat and hideous (~*PI standards*~). The shorty bull just looked like a rotund Frenchie with battle crop ears.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
The weather was finally unwet enough for me to go biking with Mouse again - she hasn't been limping on her hind right leg at all, so hopefully that stifle injury is all taken care of :3:

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010
Hey! In the past I've been asked if I take commissions, just wanted to make a quick post saying I'm open since pretty much every request was to draw someones pets!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494400

(I'm mostly making this post in hopes of getting more opportunities to draw peoples pets in fancy human clothes. This is basically all I live for)

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Azrael Alexander posted:

I've been asked If Angus was a shorty bull. :negative:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

SuperTwo posted:

I've been asked If Angus was a shorty bull. :negative:

Ohhhhhhh wow. Sorry mate. :negative:

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Azrael Alexander posted:

Ohhhhhhh wow. Sorry mate. :negative:

It was really odd, we had stopped at random at a La Quinta because they're all pet friendly. There happened to be an American Bully show nearby that weekend and everyone thought I was there for that. Although, if you know enough about bully type dogs that you're aware of the stupid niche am bully varieties, how can you not know what a SBT looks like?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
He said shorty bulls could get up to like 30+ lbs or so, so I guess it's not surprising some ignorant schmuck would ask that...? But still, poor Angus, he is so much more handsome and better than shorty bulls. :saddowns:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

SuperTwo posted:

It was really odd, we had stopped at random at a La Quinta because they're all pet friendly. There happened to be an American Bully show nearby that weekend and everyone thought I was there for that. Although, if you know enough about bully type dogs that you're aware of the stupid niche am bully varieties, how can you not know what a SBT looks like?

That's the scary part. More people (in the US at least) know what Ambullies and "Shorty Bulls" are than Staffie Bulls. It's no surprise, considering what the average person thinks is a Pit Bull, but it's painful to think about all the same.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

It's absolutely retarded when more people know what a designer mutt is than an actual breed of dog, it reminds me of the "Doodle"/Wheaton terrier confusion from a week or so ago. Why would you bother breeding those shorty bull monstrosities when there are plenty of over-exaggerated Bully looking show staffs out there? It can't be cost, because while a staff typically costs about a grand in this country they are charging ridiculously high prices for those broken as hell mutts.

Just like for what is being asked for "doodles" you can get a guaranteed non-shedding dog like a Wheaton, Bichon, PWD or an actual freaking poodle.

I'm still insulted about Angus. But he climbed onto some big name bully breeders lap and wrinkled his suit and left lick marks. So I guess he got even.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

SuperTwo posted:

I'm still insulted about Angus.
I think I might actually know how you feel in a weird way. Awhile back I submitted an old children's book project featuring a bull terrier as the main character to this self publishing website that invited me to their beta release.

I was told that the editor person who looked at my submission that they "..couldn't tell if it was a cat or a dog. Is it supposed to be a dog?"

I've never been so huffy. <:mad:> I ended up not resumitting anything because like hell was I going to redo some over and done with project to someone who couldn't tell when something that is clearly a dog, is a dog. Children who read that book knew it was a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

SuperTwo posted:

I'm still insulted about Angus.

But... I thought Angus was a French goldenpekindoodle.

*hides*

• Locked thread