Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The opponent gets both more chance of inflicting casualties(due to firing first) and the last turn to claim objectives, it's pretty obvious the game considers these both advantages and weighs them against each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

The opponent gets both more chance of inflicting casualties(due to firing first) and the last turn to claim objectives, it's pretty obvious the game considers these both advantages and weighs them against each other

Yeah, you get to shoot first, with whatever of your force shows up, and then they have to suffer being the only targets on the board.

It's not like reserve armies were dominating.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fix posted:

Yeah, you get to shoot first, with whatever of your force shows up, and then they have to suffer being the only targets on the board.

There was a time that the Eldar double autarch all reserve list turned a few heads. Everything appeared at the bottom of turn 2 on a 2+. Zoomed on and blasted the poo poo out of the enemy who had spent their first two turns spreading out and capturing objectives.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

cat with hands posted:

So you get an extra turn to maneuver and get into position? It's not like it slows the game down, quite to the contrary.

It's boring and makes the first two turns feel like a big waste of time.

Fix posted:

Reserve KP denial armies are boring. It has nothing to do with effectiveness and everything to do with playing a fun game.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I just finally got my first game of 6th in and it was the most fun game I've played in recent memory. My Company Commanderr killed a Wolf Guard Terminator guy in a challenge (I was making refractor saves left and right) and my Primaris Psyker won me the game when on the last turn he used Puppet Master to make the last remaining Long Fang lascannon guy kill the single remaining Grey Hunter who was running off with the relic. I then killed the Long Fang with a lascannon of my own. It was :black101: as hell.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It seems that codex Necrons, and a few recent of white dwarf articles, will be coming to the ipad soon.

But not to other platforms, gently caress you.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

PeterWeller posted:

It's boring and makes the first two turns feel like a big waste of time.

Reserve KP denial armies are boring. It has nothing to do with effectiveness and everything to do with playing a fun game.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It seems that codex Necrons, and a few recent of white dwarf articles, will be coming to the ipad soon.

But not to other platforms, gently caress you.

I don't understand why they made it exclusive to ipads and iphones. Nobody I play with owns or wants an ipad, and Androids are dominating the mobile market.

I would love to have something like that for windows, there are many times I want to look up things in a codex and are too lazy to get/left it at my friends house. Sure I just :filez: a pdf of it, but a searchable interactive one would be really cool to have if it was fairly cheap.

edit: Holy crap. The digital edition of the space marine codex is 50 bucks! That's ten bucks more then the physical copy, what the hell are they thinking?

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 7, 2012

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

kannonfodder posted:

The best thing would be to have the ability to place an order via your local store, so you don't have to spend more then the model itself to get it shipped.

I can already do this and have ordered several pieces to be delivered to the store and I don't recall paying shipping. Is this only an option at certain stores?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I rest my case.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

The Saddest Robot posted:

I can already do this and have ordered several pieces to be delivered to the store and I don't recall paying shipping. Is this only an option at certain stores?

Where are you located? Because as far as I know Canadian (or at least the ones in my city) GW stores seem to pretend Forgeworld doesn't exist.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

This picture will never not be funny.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If they opened up a Forgeworld facility state side and it was all resin like Finecast, I would be perpetually poor because I would spend every last dime on a DKoK army.

I wouldn't even feel bad about it. Jesus this hobby. :suicide:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oooh... rulebook, pg 51, says "if a model is not specifically stated as having a weapon with the melee type, it is treated as being armed with a singe close combat weapon"... sooo... canoptek spiders have a single close combat weapon which means fabricator claws are an additional close combat weapon. So canoptek spiders get +1A as well as being able to repair.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Codex: Tyranids, coming soon as a digital copy, available exclusively as 4 5-inch floppy disks for the Apple 2c.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

theironjef posted:

Codex: Tyranids, coming soon as a digital copy, available exclusively as 4 5-inch floppy disks for the Apple 2c.

I heard that they were releasing it as a tamagotchi

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

kannonfodder posted:

Where are you located? Because as far as I know Canadian (or at least the ones in my city) GW stores seem to pretend Forgeworld doesn't exist.

US, Seattle. So maybe that's just a Canadian policy? I don't know if other US GW stores offer that, I certainly wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't mentioned offhand to one of the store employees that I was thinking about ordering some wings from forgeworld.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I just lost a game to Dark Eldar + Eldar. Flyers own. All of them. My Stormravens weren't as good as my Stormtalon, obviously, but they are fun. Jesus, the Stormtalon is good. It's good at everything but costed fairly. The Nightwing Interceptor is loving amazing. It's undercosted and has shrouded + stealth so when it Jinks, it gets a 3+ cover save. I glanced it thrice and penned it once with my Stormtalon and it saved every hit. I nailed it when it came back in two turns later, though. I lost a loving Stormraven to a Ravager snap firing at it. 6th ed games are definitely more cinematic and epic feeling, and I have a lot more fun than I ever did in 5th, win or lose.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I can already see what will happen when I open the digital tyranid book. All a little paper clip pops up, say "you appear to be attempting to use the tyranids, would you like me to open a more useful codex?"

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

The Saddest Robot posted:

US, Seattle. So maybe that's just a Canadian policy? I don't know if other US GW stores offer that, I certainly wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't mentioned offhand to one of the store employees that I was thinking about ordering some wings from forgeworld.

I bet it is just Canada, we do have quite stupid import laws so GW probably gave up as it was too much money and/or effort. Funny though, you are slightly further away from where they make Forgeworld stuff then me, and yet you can get it cheaper (and easier) then me. Oh well, just gotta save up and order large quantities with friends.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

kannonfodder posted:

edit: Holy crap. The digital edition of the space marine codex is 50 bucks! That's ten bucks more then the physical copy, what the hell are they thinking?

To be fair the iPad version comes with way more material and has the WD units like the Stormtalon added and updates automatically, which seems worth the extra $10.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Phyresis posted:

I just lost a game to Dark Eldar + Eldar. Flyers own. All of them. My Stormravens weren't as good as my Stormtalon, obviously, but they are fun. Jesus, the Stormtalon is good. It's good at everything but costed fairly. The Nightwing Interceptor is loving amazing. It's undercosted and has shrouded + stealth so when it Jinks, it gets a 3+ cover save. I glanced it thrice and penned it once with my Stormtalon and it saved every hit. I nailed it when it came back in two turns later, though. I lost a loving Stormraven to a Ravager snap firing at it. 6th ed games are definitely more cinematic and epic feeling, and I have a lot more fun than I ever did in 5th, win or lose.

I'm glad they fixed that.

Titan Holo Fields on fliers didn't seem to actually do anything in 5th despite being a part of the reason eldar flyers cost a whole lot more than the other factions'.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

bhsman posted:

To be fair the iPad version comes with way more material and has the WD units like the Stormtalon added and updates automatically, which seems worth the extra $10.

Yeah but since it costs no material or shipping costs to get it in my grubby hands, and it doesn't take nearly as much money to convert to digital as it does to make it in the first place, you'd think it would be a bit cheaper (or at least the same price since it has more things in it). I know comparing companies is a terrible idea, but Paizo, the creators of Pathfinder sell their hardcover rulebook for $50, or a download PDF with searchable text and hyperlinks for $10. Then I can have it on my PC, my laptop, and my phone!

edit: The updates automatically thing is kinda neat, but still not nearly worth it. Also, is it only for iPads, or can you view it on iPhones too?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Cataphract posted:

Oooh... rulebook, pg 51, says "if a model is not specifically stated as having a weapon with the melee type, it is treated as being armed with a singe close combat weapon"... sooo... canoptek spiders have a single close combat weapon which means fabricator claws are an additional close combat weapon. So canoptek spiders get +1A as well as being able to repair.

I don't mean to sound like a prick, but that's a pretty douchebag interpretation of that wording. Technically you are correct, but only insofar as that the Necron Codex was printed in 5th, in which the descriptor "melee" for weapons did not yet exist.
It's safe (and likely accurate) to assume that any close combat weapon from any pre-6th codex (i.e. all of them so far) has the melee descriptor, even if it does not specifically list it.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, I am happy. It seems that I have managed to grab a pair of wings off of an old friend from a forum that I used to visit regularly. On a whim, I posted there to see if anyone had any, but I really didn't expect to get a reply since the forum (thewarp.net) seems to have died a pretty slow death. I remember, pre 07, that it used to have tons of posts, but then it went down for a year, and now almost noone posts there.

Well, at least I have here, because Dakka is just really difficult to read at times. (ie. people are dumb)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Sole.Sushi posted:

I don't mean to sound like a prick, but that's a pretty douchebag interpretation of that wording. Technically you are correct, but only insofar as that the Necron Codex was printed in 5th, in which the descriptor "melee" for weapons did not yet exist.
It's safe (and likely accurate) to assume that any close combat weapon from any pre-6th codex (i.e. all of them so far) has the melee descriptor, even if it does not specifically list it.

This is actually something I was wondering about this morning. Clearly the Necron codex was written with 6th in mind and there are several things like fabricator claws that count as a close combat weapon for no apparent reason since there is no way to get a second close combat weapon for Spyders and Overlords unless you interpret the new rulebook like Cataphract did. It'd be pretty odd for them to just leave that up to assumption instead of giving them a close combat weapon by default though. But why would they bother to make several weapons that count as close combat weapons if it doesn't do anything? Maybe the main rules changed between the Necron codex being released and the release of 6th.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

bhsman posted:

They raised the price of the Space Marine codex print version recently. It's only about $.75 cheaper than the electronic version. It also hasn't changed since its release at the beginning of 5th, and is the only codex thus far to have been raised to this price, which naturally begs the question: "What the gently caress, man?"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Phyresis posted:

I have to say this is definitely the case in both of the games I've played so far as well. Regardless of the rules (and some of them have been pretty dumb), it's a very cinematic experience and I would say complete improvement over 5th edition. I can't wait to add a dakkajet or two. I wish I could extent that love to the mission rules, but for the most part they're a joke.

Fix posted:

They raised the price of the Space Marine codex print version recently. It's only about $.75 cheaper than the electronic version. It also hasn't changed since its release at the beginning of 5th, and is the only codex thus far to have been raised to this price, which naturally begs the question: "What the gently caress, man?"

I would assume that GW did it specifically so people wouldn't make the comparison they're already making.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I picked up a Hive Tyrant kit last night so I could model a Hive Tyrant with wings in my Tyranid army, also so I could convert my current wingless Hive Tyrant into the swarmlord.

So now they're assembled and looking awesome. But I've run into a problem with the Hive Tyrant and his wings. Namely the 11" wingspan. I'm gonna have to get a new container and a bunch of foam just to transport him.

I've also been reading through the new Psyker powers and I'm not sure how it works with the Tyranid Psykers.

So, the Swarmlord normally has access to all 4 Hive Tyrant psychic powers. What if I want to use one of the powers from the new codex? Does he lose access to one of those powers, or does he lose access to all of them? What about in the case of a Tervigon? A Tervigon starts with Dominion, but can purchase Catalyst and Onslaught. If I wanted to for example take Biomancy, I would drop Dominion and replace it with biomancy. But could I then purchase Catalyst and Onslaught on top of that?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would assume that GW did it specifically so people wouldn't make the comparison they're already making.

I wonder what people would do if any software publisher raised their price by 25% on a four year old product with no explanation whatsoever. Or any other book publisher. Or music producer. Or movie publisher. Or dry cereal company. Or shoemaker.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Master Twig posted:

I picked up a Hive Tyrant kit last night so I could model a Hive Tyrant with wings in my Tyranid army, also so I could convert my current wingless Hive Tyrant into the swarmlord.

So now they're assembled and looking awesome. But I've run into a problem with the Hive Tyrant and his wings. Namely the 11" wingspan. I'm gonna have to get a new container and a bunch of foam just to transport him.
Try and magnetize the wings. I don't have a Hive Tyrant, but all of my Daemon Princes were easy to wing-magnetize. They are so big and lopsided that you'll probably need to put a removable pin in along with the magnet, but it'll be worth it not to snap the drat things off one day.

Master Twig posted:

So, the Swarmlord normally has access to all 4 Hive Tyrant psychic powers. What if I want to use one of the powers from the new codex? Does he lose access to one of those powers, or does he lose access to all of them? What about in the case of a Tervigon? A Tervigon starts with Dominion, but can purchase Catalyst and Onslaught. If I wanted to for example take Biomancy, I would drop Dominion and replace it with biomancy. But could I then purchase Catalyst and Onslaught on top of that?
I'm pretty sure you have to replace all of your powers with table rolls, but you get 1 roll per power you'd normally have (mix and match which tables you want to roll on).

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

So after getting tired of how silly the Allies Matrix is, for both screwing over certain armies and not making sense fluff-wise, my friends and I decided to make a more balanced one. Figure I'd share it here and see what you guys thought of it.

:v:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fix posted:

I wonder what people would do if any software publisher raised their price by 25% on a four year old product with no explanation whatsoever. Or any other book publisher. Or music producer. Or movie publisher. Or dry cereal company. Or shoemaker.

More like what happens when a crack dealer raises his prices? Or a pharmaceutical company? If GW had something even remotely approaching competition then they might have to give a poo poo. But when you've already invested hundreds or thousands of dollars into something they pretty much have you by the balls. Joys of a luxury market.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
So question then, are forge world models with "40k approved" allowed to be used in a normal game of 40k or are they still generally a get your opponents permission thing?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ManiacMatt posted:

So question then, are forge world models with "40k approved" allowed to be used in a normal game of 40k or are they still generally a get your opponents permission thing?

The entirety of 40k is a with your opponents permission thing. It'd be good to ask, but if they refuse, it probably informs your decisions to play against them in the future. Tournament wise, it's up to the organizers. "40k approved" makes that more likely, but check.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

^^^ if it says "40k Approved" then you can use it in any regular 40k game, however there is a very negative stigma around FW stuff being 'over powered' when in fact most of it is over-costed. It's still probably proper etiquette to ask up front but if the guy says no in a non-tournament setting I'd just pack my poo poo up and find another table.

kannonfodder posted:

I don't understand why they made it exclusive to ipads and iphones. Nobody I play with owns or wants an ipad, and Androids are dominating the mobile market.

What alternate reality are you living in? Do you just say stupid poo poo because it sounds cool?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Prefect Six posted:

What alternate reality are you living in? Do you just say stupid poo poo because it sounds cool?

Explain? Android currently has 59% of the smartphone market, and the iPhone is down to about 22% last time I checked. So if they made it an Android app instead of iPhone, they would have nearly 3x the potential market.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does a charging nob with a Power Klaw hit at S9 or S10? Reading the rules it looks like S10, but I can't find anything about order.

As I understand it Furious Charge gives +1 to the strength characteristic. The strength of the power fist attack then doubles it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Just read through the buildings rules. I really, really want to use buildings now. Assaulting a building with a barbecue team of 4 flamers in a PCS will rule, as would an infantry squad charging and shoving grenades in all the windows. I'm really, really liking what I read in this edition so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Fix posted:

Book publishers raise prices on decades and centuries old products all the loving time. On the other hand, I just got two fifty dollar PS2 games digitally remastered for my PS3 for forty dollars (Ico and SotC HD Collection; I'm so glad I finally played through Ico, and I am totally amped to play SotC).

Prefect Six posted:

^^^ if it says "40k Approved" then you can use it in any regular 40k game, however there is a very negative stigma around FW stuff being 'over powered' when in fact most of it is over-costed. It's still probably proper etiquette to ask up front but if the guy says no in a non-tournament setting I'd just pack my poo poo up and find another table.

There are a few FW models, like that assault drill and the LR Achilles, that totally gently caress it up for all the other totally decent FW models.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does a charging nob with a Power Klaw hit at S9 or S10? Reading the rules it looks like S10, but I can't find anything about order.

As I understand it Furious Charge gives +1 to the strength characteristic. The strength of the power fist attack then doubles it.

There's an order of priority for stat modifiers-- you factor multipliers first, then bonuses or penalties, then fixed scores. So your nob with PK is S9 on the charge: S4X2=S8+1=S9.

SRM posted:

Just read through the buildings rules. I really, really want to use buildings now. Assaulting a building with a barbecue team of 4 flamers in a PCS will rule, as would an infantry squad charging and shoving grenades in all the windows. I'm really, really liking what I read in this edition so far.

Buildings are totally loving rad in 6E. Does anybody have some good sources for SciFi buildings that would be appropriate for 40K?

• Locked thread