Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does a charging nob with a Power Klaw hit at S9 or S10? Reading the rules it looks like S10, but I can't find anything about order.

As I understand it Furious Charge gives +1 to the strength characteristic. The strength of the power fist attack then doubles it.

Strength 9, for the same reasons as it has always been. See page 2, 'Multiple Modifiers'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Cataphract posted:

I heard that they were releasing it as a tamagotchi

No lie, I would buy several of those.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

They're already doing this in the most recent Imperial Armour books. They outright state "this is legal in game X" where X is a stamp for either 40k, Planetstrike, or Apocalypse. The only thing missing is a :dealwithit: smiley.

and

Prefect Six posted:

^^^ if it says "40k Approved" then you can use it in any regular 40k game, however there is a very negative stigma around FW stuff being 'over powered' when in fact most of it is over-costed. It's still probably proper etiquette to ask up front but if the guy says no in a non-tournament setting I'd just pack my poo poo up and find another table.

This discussion comes up about once a month.

It is REALLY clearly spelled out in several Forge World books that FW is "official" in the same way as Cities of Death, or Planetstrike, etc.

Basically the direction that Forge World has given (and it is in print, I can scan the page from the FW book and show you if necessary) is that you do NOT need to ask permission to use specific units, but you SHOULD ask if the person you are playing with is interested in playing with Forge World RULES. Just like you would say to someone "Are you interested in playing a game of 40k with Cities of Death?"

The stamps in the latest FW books are not there to make any unit any more "official" than another unit, they are there to tell you what level of games those units are intended for. (For example, you wouldn't want to use a Titan in a regular scale game of Warhammer 40k).

Once you have agreed to play a game incorporating rules, you certainly do NOT need to get permission to use any specific types of units from Forge World or not.

As far as tournaments are concerned... well people can run whatever they want in tournaments. Considering a bunch of Tournament Organizers are already balking at the idea of including allies - I can't see them suddenly throwing open the doors to Forge World (as much as I wish they would - on both accounts!).

In particular Reece Robbins (one of the owners of frontlinegaming.org - the article originally linked here) attempted to open up The Bay Area Open to Forge World rules and backed off because people were backing out of coming to the event. So there was an actual monetary impact to him and his team (The Zero Comp Crew) for including them.

They backed off including them in the main tournament, but allowed them in the Team Tournament.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 7, 2012

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PeterWeller posted:

Buildings are totally loving rad in 6E. Does anybody have some good sources for SciFi buildings that would be appropriate for 40K?

I believe forums user Lumbering Troll was looking into doing modular plastic CNC-cut buildings. Not sure what came of it, but he had several CAD designs that looked pretty tight.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PeterWeller posted:

Book publishers raise prices on decades and centuries old products all the loving time. On the other hand, I just got two fifty dollar PS2 games digitally remastered for my PS3 for forty dollars (Ico and SotC HD Collection; I'm so glad I finally played through Ico, and I am totally amped to play SotC).

Right, but in both those cases you're talking about new products. New editions. New printings. A new forward, even. Something added to the games, and discounted. This is exactly the same book at a $8.25 higher price point, clearly not for any matter relating to their own costs, as the prices of the other books didn't go up at all (yet), and not a peep of explanation from GW about it. Just one book, suddenly got more expensive when they put out the digital version. It's ludicrous.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

SciFi buildings that would be appropriate for 40K?

This guy is still getting his shop set up after his recently successful kickstarter.
Check out the "Gothic dystopian terrain"
http://tectoniccraftstudios.com/index.php

Nothing for sale yet but keep your eyes on it.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
What confuses me about Forge World stuff is that the Rhinos cost 20 points less than my Templar Rhinos, but are listed as usable for Templars.

Also I haven't ever played with or against Forge World stuff...which of it is worth having for Marines?

Got my rulebook today and it's badass. The bag is way nicer than I thought but the dice and dice box loving suck. I think the dice are hollow and the tin case is made out of soviet grade tin or something. Also the top is plastic.

I'm going to attempt to read the book cover to cover thus ensuring I remember none of it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fix posted:

exactly the same book

Nope.

VVV Oh. :cripes:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 7, 2012

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The print version, dude. They raised the price on that one too. It costs 41 bucks.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Fix posted:

Right, but in both those cases you're talking about new products. New editions. New printings. A new forward, even. Something added to the games, and discounted. This is exactly the same book at a $8.25 higher price point, clearly not for any matter relating to their own costs, as the prices of the other books didn't go up at all (yet), and not a peep of explanation from GW about it. Just one book, suddenly got more expensive when they put out the digital version. It's ludicrous.

Book publishers will release the same exact edition of a book for a higher price. It may technically be a new printing, but that doesn't really mean anything if you're not a collector, and the SM codex you buy tomorrow is definitely a different printing than the one you bought five years ago.

That said, I agree with you in principle.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I'm finally building my Caestus - taking a glance at the FW FAQ makes me scratch my head. So its a flyer now (no surprise) and its a tank (yup) but its not fast or a transport? What?

Are those classifications in addition to whats already in the rulebook for it?

e: Reading the flyer rules, this update is an absolute mess. It can ram unlike all other fliers but other flies CANNOT be rammed. Who the f else would I want to ram? Jesus.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 7, 2012

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Fix posted:

I wonder what people would do if any software publisher raised their price by 25% on a four year old product with no explanation whatsoever. Or any other book publisher. Or music producer. Or movie publisher. Or dry cereal company. Or shoemaker.

Battered wives often make up excuses for their abusive husbands. Its important to remember that they're the victim.

dagonis
Dec 21, 2006

Get Money
Fuck bitches
Burn Heretics

Bavius posted:

I'm finally building my Caestus - taking a glance at the FW FAQ makes me scratch my head. So its a flyer now (no surprise) and its a tank (yup) but its not fast or a transport? What?

Are those classifications in addition to whats already in the rulebook for it?

e: Reading the flyer rules, this update is an absolute mess. It can ram unlike all other fliers but other flies CANNOT be rammed. Who the f else would I want to ram? Jesus.

I would assume that it keeps its transport status.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ghost Hand posted:

In particular Reece Robbins (one of the owners of frontlinegaming.org - the article originally linked here) attempted to open up The Bay Area Open to Forge World rules and backed off because people were backing out of coming to the event. So there was an actual monetary impact to him and his team (The Zero Comp Crew) for including them.

They backed off including them in the main tournament, but allowed them in the Team Tournament.

The Dakka thread where he floated the idea and then ultimately rejected it is hilarious. He posits that while there are a few powerful single units in the Forge World catalog, there are dozens of fair and interesting additional options. He is then followed by a deluge of people declaring they will be taking the overpowered stuff (I think the big land raider, the hades breaching drill, and some drop pod that lets dreads assault out of it), people pointing out that players would exclusively cherry-pick the good stuff, and other people trying to shout down the obvious with "whatever, it's fair, if you can't beat a bunch of Hades Breaching Drills it's because you're a bad."

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

dagonis posted:

I would assume that it keeps its transport status.

It does say assault vehicle so that makes sense.

Found it! Hovering vehicles are treated the same as fast skimmers.

e: So just to clarify it to myself. The Ceastus is a heavy flying tank which means that it can tank shock, jink but can only ever move at cruising speed. It can ram but it cannot ram fliers. It can go into hover mode and drop off its cargo, but then will be unable to ram that turn.

I can see it now - Caestus zooms on to the board. The next turn it hovers, dropping out its wolf guard cargo and unloads its single shot artillery to soften up the ground targets. It shrugs off the ensuing fire to zoom back off and rams a truck as it picks up speed sending it "kareening."

Sounds awesome as gently caress. Am I reading the RAM rule correctly that it wouldn't be able to touch fliers at all? It's only armed with templates otherwise and those can't hit zooming fliers.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 7, 2012

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

theironjef posted:

I can already see what will happen when I open the digital tyranid book. All a little paper clip pops up, say "you appear to be attempting to use the tyranids, would you like me to open a more useful codex?"

It's a god drat shame that we only changed the thread title a few days ago.

ghetto wormhole posted:

This is actually something I was wondering about this morning. Clearly the Necron codex was written with 6th in mind and there are several things like fabricator claws that count as a close combat weapon for no apparent reason since there is no way to get a second close combat weapon for Spyders and Overlords unless you interpret the new rulebook like Cataphract did. It'd be pretty odd for them to just leave that up to assumption instead of giving them a close combat weapon by default though. But why would they bother to make several weapons that count as close combat weapons if it doesn't do anything? Maybe the main rules changed between the Necron codex being released and the release of 6th.

They did that because that was the 5th ed terminology. All weapons which weren't guns have a note that they 'count as a close combat weapon' (or as a power weapon, or whatever they were meant to be) for clarity's sake, even if it's really loving obvious.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

kannonfodder posted:

Explain? Android currently has 59% of the smartphone market, and the iPhone is down to about 22% last time I checked. So if they made it an Android app instead of iPhone, they would have nearly 3x the potential market.

To release something in the iTunes store, you need to support only two resolutions. to do it for android, you need to support every resolution ever, basically. That's why lots of things show up for Apple and not for Android. It has nothing to do with market share and everything to do with ease of release.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Devlan Mud posted:

To release something in the iTunes store, you need to support only two resolutions. to do it for android, you need to support every resolution ever, basically. That's why lots of things show up for Apple and not for Android. It has nothing to do with market share and everything to do with ease of release.

It would be just awful if they spent a bit of money on making it work on more then one screen type, and with the amount they are charging I think they could afford to. If tiny companies that are run by one dude with a budget of 5 bucks can make apps to work on all android systems, I think GW could do it. But that would cause them to leave the mindset that it is still the late 90's.

Does anyone know if there are movement trays for 40k, in the style of the War of the Ring, but works with 10 man squads? Google only turns up these terrible things.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Actual competent companies have trouble with Android releases, I'd hate to think what GW's offering would be like.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Also it may be they've checked and their customer base uses iPhones predominantly. I know it's anecdotal, but there were a lot of people with iPhone/pads at the midnight launch the other week. Maybe it's some weird statistical aberration that those who Warham also tend to buy Apple. It makes sense I guess - overpriced product that doesn't really do anything that other companies don't do already, doesn't pay it's workers a decent wage despite raking in profits year after year...

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

Actual competent companies have trouble with Android releases, I'd hate to think what GW's offering would be like.

Picture a Space Mariner vomiting fish out of his helmet....forever.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

Bavius posted:

My first thought was 'Titans?' Which would be totally cool to see happen...

C-C-C-CUNT
Jun 16, 2005

SHOOTING OUT MY WARRIOR JUICE

kannonfodder posted:

It would be just awful if they spent a bit of money on making it work on more then one screen type, and with the amount they are charging I think they could afford to. If tiny companies that are run by one dude with a budget of 5 bucks can make apps to work on all android systems, I think GW could do it. But that would cause them to leave the mindset that it is still the late 90's.

Does anyone know if there are movement trays for 40k, in the style of the War of the Ring, but works with 10 man squads? Google only turns up these terrible things.

It is an in enhanced iBook too, so you can only use it in the iPad so phone market share wasn't something they were looking at, it's about the tablet market which is pretty much all Apple.
Plus Apple make it really easy to publish books like this through the iBook Store, they make simple and easy to use publishing tools, if you were going to test the idea of a digital Codex on tablets, this is the easiest way with the biggest market, it's kind of a no-brainer really.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

SRM posted:

Just read through the buildings rules. I really, really want to use buildings now. Assaulting a building with a barbecue team of 4 flamers in a PCS will rule, as would an infantry squad charging and shoving grenades in all the windows. I'm really, really liking what I read in this edition so far.

I actually just played my first game of 6th tonight, and we used a network of (fantasy, admittedly) castle walls and towers as the primary terrain pieces just so that we could test out the building rules.

It was pretty damned awesome, and I now see myself building a cityfight/necromunda board sometime in the near future.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

C-C-C-oval office posted:

It is an in enhanced iBook too, so you can only use it in the iPad so phone market share wasn't something they were looking at, it's about the tablet market which is pretty much all Apple.
Plus Apple make it really easy to publish books like this through the iBook Store, they make simple and easy to use publishing tools, if you were going to test the idea of a digital Codex on tablets, this is the easiest way with the biggest market, it's kind of a no-brainer really.

I assumed that like a lot of Apple apps they would work on both iphone and ipad, but if it was only for tablets then yeah it actually does make sense. A PC release would have been nice too, since everyone has a laptop these days.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

CaptainPete posted:

My first thought was 'Titans?' Which would be totally cool to see happen...

I think it has a decent chance of messing up a titan that is armor 12-13. 14 might be a bit rough when it has a maximum movement of 18". Still though, epic idea.
e: Verified the ram rule - its +1 for each armor point above ten for the facing that rams. In this case the front armor is 13, assuming an 18" ram, you would have a D6 +10 for determining penetration. Meaning you have a solid chance of ruining most vehicles' days.

Because its primary weapons are both blasts its not the AA I'd hoped for. I emailed Forgeworld for clarification on the disregarding ram rule. My thoughts on it are this: If it "may conduct ram attacks, this is an exception to the usual rules for Flyers" then "nor can they be tank shocked or rammed" (pg. 80) would mean that it itself can be rammed but it cannot ram another flier! I would love to play it so that it can slam through other aircraft.

I'll post how they respond.

Oh and I can't wait for an iBook for each codex. The price point is high, but I give no fucks - give me pretty digital books.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 7, 2012

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They could alternatively release the army books as loss-leader free PDFs, which would work on everything in the last ten years. And it's not like someone is going to download it, make an army list, and then suddenly become able to resist dropping $300 on plastic and resin.

Plus they would still be able to sell the print ones to collectors or serious players or make them a tournament required thing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
They should release all the rules as PDFs, because morons like me will STILL drop £45 on the rulebook and they'd sell way more plastic mans to people who previously balked at buying the rules. But they won't, because the idea is a difficult one for people used to shifting physical product to get the hang of.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I just started painting my harlequins. It took over an hour to get the checkerboard pattern on one leg (of the first one) to the point where it didn't look like complete rear end. This is going to take forever to finish my squad of them. I also still have 20 more dark Eldar warriors to paint, and an autarch on a jet bike to finish. :smith:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PeterWeller posted:

There's an order of priority for stat modifiers-- you factor multipliers first, then bonuses or penalties, then fixed scores. So your nob with PK is S9 on the charge: S4X2=S8+1=S9.

S.J. posted:

Strength 9, for the same reasons as it has always been. See page 2, 'Multiple Modifiers'.

Thanks for the clarification. I figured there was something there but couldn't find the reference.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I'm midway through a Vassal game testing out some different units in the Eldar list and let me tell you, vibro-cannons are still poo poo. The artillery pieces can take hits much better, now that they're T7, 3+ save and two wounds. But I took two batteries of three, mistakenly thinking that I could liquefy a vehicle a turn with auto-glances.

NOPE. On closer inspection, you only get one blast per battery. All the extra guns do is up the strength of the shot. And hey maybe you know that already because it's been in print for about six years. That'll show me for not looking more closely at the text!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
D-Cannons still should work nicely though right?

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
More Vanilla Marines questions (even though I've been playing for about a year, I still suck poo poo at this game, and you guys actually seem to know what you're talking about). From your general experience with 6th so far, are Scouts at all useful for anything other than putting a Teleport Homer obnoxiously close to your opponent early on, or throwing them on an objective in the early game?

e: Also, consensus on Chaplains: useless or not?

Tailfnz fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 7, 2012

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Undead Tailfnz posted:

e: Also, consensus on Chaplains: useless or not?

Chaplains are a fun choice, but not necessarily a good one depending on the unit you're pairing it with. Chaplains grant Hatred on a charge now, which is essentially what they did before (rerolling missing in close combat), but instead of wielding a power weapon they now wield a power maul. This is potentially better, especially against vehicles and tougher models, but the model went from being AP2 to AP4 and thus is much worse in challenges which will likely deal with models with a Sv3+ or better. Compared to Librarians who are now much, much better than they used to be they are a worse choice. They do have their perks though, like a 4+ Inv. save.

Unless you're putting it in a jump-infantry unit or in Terminator armor I would recommend always using Chaplain Cassius (provided you're using a Vanilla army). For 25pts you get +2T, Feel No Pain, and a poisoned 2+ boltgun w/ combi-flamer shot. It's an amazing deal. He fares much better in challenges as well, since most models are going to be hard-pressed to wound T6 (at least at normal initiative pass).

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Also, why's DarkSphere in the OP? They don't ship 40k stuff anymore, it's all collect in store.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Oh for gently caress sake. They were the cheapest and most reliable online shop I've found. I wonder what brought this about.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

PierreTheMime posted:

Unless you're putting it in a jump-infantry unit or in Terminator armor I would recommend always using Chaplain Cassius (provided you're using a Vanilla army).

I use either a Jump Pack Chaplain or Cassius, depending on the unit I want to throw him in. I already kind of figured Cassius would be an even better shoe-in than he was last edition now that he hits at S6 as well.

I'm guessing that thanks to the new Jump Pack charging rules, the Jump Pack Chaplain is now a really good companion to Assault or non-Heroic Intervention Vanguard Squads?

Tailfnz fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 7, 2012

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

PierreTheMime posted:

Unless you're putting it in a jump-infantry unit or in Terminator armor I would recommend always using Chaplain Cassius (provided you're using a Vanilla army).

Yeah, I think it's either Cassius or Lemartes. The Power Maul really hurts because most stuff is power armoured or better but it does let you smash through non-Mega Orks or Tyranids or whatever you're already probably going to beat in combat anyway.

Also, re: Challenges, is everyone just going to use fists and hammers and avoid special characters without them? It seems like artificer/Terminator armour and a hammer and then everyone dying at I1 is the way of things to come.

Undead Tailfnz posted:

I'm guessing that thanks to the new Jump Pack charging rules, the Jump Pack Chaplain is now a really good companion to Assault or non-Heroic Intervention Vanguard Squads?

I don't think it's *really* good, it eats up a HQ slot and doesn't actually kill much due to AP4. Non-Heroic Intervention Vanguard Squads are still super expensive and if they're out in the open trying to line up a charge they'll eat just a tiny bit of shooting and die.

Karandras fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 7, 2012

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Oh for gently caress sake. They were the cheapest and most reliable online shop I've found. I wonder what brought this about.

God dammit. I have never used a better store than those guys, I really really don't want to use Maelstrom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

A store manager tipped me that Tau Broadsides (and commanders maybe?) will be getting a finecast upgrade kit along with the Kroot models.

Now, the pinning of broadsides is a chore what with being top heavy and having the ankles of a 90 year old, but I'm still wondering if it's worth stocking up on.

Better yet if they simply released the FW broads as a plastic kit.

• Locked thread