Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Hex Darkstar posted:

Yea i'm not sure if they ran into complications with the rootkit component of it but for at least the past 3+ weeks it has changed its distribution method to include only the user mode infection even on admin privileged accounts.

Not sure if that is because they're overhauling the component to be more compatible within x64 environments it had support but it was super easy to get rid of since it almost always relied on the same named DLL Each time (C:\Windows\System32\Consrv.dll) so that was almost a universal sign that the machine has been bad touched by ZeroAccess. I don't think it is for that reason mostly because the 32bit version is also only releasing the user mode component rather than the full blow rootkit so I guess we'll just wait and see.

loving virus writers write better code than Symantec/Macafee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hex Darkstar
May 28, 2004

I think I need another liver transplant.
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/06/06/zeroaccess-rootkit-usermode/

Article that details some of the Zero Access changes, pretty decent write-up on it, their speculation on the change actually seems very probable too:

quote:

It's clear that the malware's authors have decided on a more unified approach to supported platforms and to change the footprint of ZeroAccess both on infected machines and on infected networks.

This is most likely due to the increased attention that this malware family has been receiving from security companies, but also as more and more people are using 64-bit machines it makes sense for malware authors to focus on that platform, so maintaining a complicated kernel-mode component that only works on 32-bit systems seems less and less cost effective.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Hex Darkstar posted:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/06/06/zeroaccess-rootkit-usermode/

Article that details some of the Zero Access changes, pretty decent write-up on it, their speculation on the change actually seems very probable too:

My favorite part of that article (emphasis mine):

Sophos posted:

The goal of ZeroAccess remains the same: to download further malware onto the infected machine. The types of malware we are seeing downloaded are broadly the same: click fraud and spam bots, although a BitCoin miner has now been added to the mix.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
gently caress me I think I got some unknown trojan/virus on my system. Just did a full scan with Kaspersky/Avira and nothing.

Here are the symptoms: Every 5 minutes my Kaspersky tells me it blocked an attempt by IEXPLORE.EXE to access a suspicious url.

Full Report:
Internet Explorer u.php Denied: http://cloudice.net/was/u.php (analysis using the database of suspicious URLs) 11.06.2012 09:30:27

That sounds like a trojan that wants to update his modules, right!? gently caress!

Ah well, time for a system wipe then I guess...

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Recently came across a demonstration of Spy Eye:

http://tweakers.net/video/5455/demonstratie-hoe-gaan-cybercriminelen-te-werk.html

The intro is in Dutch but the rest is in English (starts at 0:30).

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Came across another one of those drat Google redirect virus.
Forefront doesn't pick it up. Goddamnit. User isn't an admin, so it couldn't write to the machine registry, but it can to the local profile.

Any ideas?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm pretty late to the thread. I've been using AVGfree and MBAM together, is that okay?

Also, I've been hearing alot of criticism of AVG, should I switch that for MSE?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

AVG pretty much fell off a few years back. People have anecdotally reported letting real viruses through and blocking false positives; perhaps more significantly, it performs really poorly in general multi-product scanner tests, especially against more sophisticated threats.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

I'm pretty late to the thread. I've been using AVGfree and MBAM together, is that okay?

Also, I've been hearing alot of criticism of AVG, should I switch that for MSE?

AVG is also extremely resource intensive compared to others, especially MSE. It will bring an older machine to it's knees. From my experience it doesn't protect any better.

quote:

Came across another one of those drat Google redirect virus.
Forefront doesn't pick it up. Goddamnit. User isn't an admin, so it couldn't write to the machine registry, but it can to the local profile.

Is it redirecting you to NewsFudge? I've had 2 machines on the bench this week with this virus. Your hosts file is most likely modified. Try combofix.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Read this on TheReg:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/19/schneier_flame_malware_antivirus/

It's about Bruce Schneier chiding AV companies for not being on top of Flame/Stux.

I'm kind of wondering if we're nearing the end of life for traditional anti-virus methods. If you have (x) number of guys working on anti-virus I can almost guarantee that there are (y) (let's say (x)*50) guys out there writing viruses and trying to exploit new security holes. Combine that with the fact that the (x) guys are split up among various AV companies, and the (y) guys can theoretically use each other's work, and it gets kind untenable. Now you throw nation-state players into the mix, can signature-based AV even work anymore in this kind of scenario?

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

Scaramouche posted:

Read this on TheReg:

It's about Bruce Schneier chiding AV companies for not being on top of Flame/Stux.

I'm kind of wondering if we're nearing the end of life for traditional anti-virus methods. If you have (x) number of guys working on anti-virus I can almost guarantee that there are (y) (let's say (x)*50) guys out there writing viruses and trying to exploit new security holes. Combine that with the fact that the (x) guys are split up among various AV companies, and the (y) guys can theoretically use each other's work, and it gets kind untenable. Now you throw nation-state players into the mix, can signature-based AV even work anymore in this kind of scenario?

Schneier has misunderstood the malware industry. Flame and Stuxnet go undetected because they are so narrowly targetted that no one sees a sample for years (even though backend AV systems have collected them). Their authors are only interested in some very specific information from a few targets. Commercial malware can't do that because the return per infection is so low that they need to infect a whole load of machines to make any real money.

Of course there will be financially motivated, targeted threats out there but they're rare. They aren't as well engineered as Stuxnet and Flame so they're much more likely to be picked up by AV heuristics even though they've not been seen before (although most likely they were created with a kit that has been seen a lot).

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Scaramouche posted:

Read this on TheReg:

Eh, from my understanding, AVs aren't made (for the most part) to stop 0-day threats, they're made to stop already identified malware that still roams wild. Heuristics is good at spotting suspicious activity, but really modern day AV + keeping your programs patched should keep you relatively safe.

If there's some crazy 0-day super virus then everyone is hosed until the vector gets identified and patched and new definitions are released.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
Zero-days are one thing, but I have to agree with Scaramouche. Traditional methods have fallen way behind. I routinely upload suspicious .exe files I come across to Virustotal. Drive by downloads, e-mail attachments, etc. More and more often nothing detects them as being malicious.

Testing them in a VM confirms they are the same popular Trojans, and they misbehave in the same ways. The only real difference is the dropper's file name, and the possibly that it's freshly compiled code. It seems like these programs are changing their signatures every few hours in the more extreme cases.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
He's about 3 years late in telling AV companies that they are largely useless.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think too that the nation state players are going to discover methods that are a bit more invasive than the normal 'low hanging fruit' that for profit malware makers are going to go for, and that we'll see those technologies 'trickle down'. Basically the state of the art of malware might be getting a big shot in the arm.

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

tjl posted:

Zero-days are one thing, but I have to agree with Scaramouche. Traditional methods have fallen way behind. I routinely upload suspicious .exe files I come across to Virustotal. Drive by downloads, e-mail attachments, etc. More and more often nothing detects them as being malicious.

Testing them in a VM confirms they are the same popular Trojans, and they misbehave in the same ways. The only real difference is the dropper's file name, and the possibly that it's freshly compiled code. It seems like these programs are changing their signatures every few hours in the more extreme cases.

Virustotal only tests static file detection, which is something AV companies have been moving away from for the last 7+ years. It's not a representative test of what would happen if you actually ran the file on a machine with a particular AV product.

The reason for this is exactly what you posted -- the files themselves are tweaked by hand several times a day to make sure they evade detection on Virustotal-style scanners. That's why AV companies now care less about just detecting the files (except they still have to detect them retroactively to pander to independent testers and people who judge effectiveness with Virustotal) and more about blocking or reversing what they do to a system.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Another example of state sponsored malware, though apparently this was off the shelf:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/20/syrian_skype_trojan/

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I got infected again, now with "F a lot of random digits.exe". The only thing I have done lately was to install (and uninstall minutes later) Bluestacks (android emulator-ish).

MSE even told me "Hey, I don't recognize F******.exe, want to send it to us?" and I said no. :smithicide:

Maybe formatting would be for the best.

EDIT: Malwarebytes found it.

quote:

Files Detected: 2
C:\ProgramData\F4D562C8000078720003C0BAB4EB238B\F4D562C8000078720003C0BAB4EB238B.exe (Trojan.Lameshield) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\gmq\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NBTS5L8E\soft4[1].exe (Trojan.Lameshield) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

The weird thing is that I started getting these things only after switching to Firefox. I used Chrome for years without any problem.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 21, 2012

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

gmq posted:

I got infected again, now with "F a lot of random digits.exe". The only thing I have done lately was to install (and uninstall minutes later) Bluestacks (android emulator-ish).

MSE even told me "Hey, I don't recognize F******.exe, want to send it to us?" and I said no. :smithicide:

Maybe formatting would be for the best.

EDIT: Malwarebytes found it.

The weird thing is that I started getting these things only after switching to Firefox. I used Chrome for years without any problem.

Sounds like you got hit with something that pulled in a second piece of malware, which MSE caught. But the original didn't get removed and so it keeps installing more poo poo.
Flatten/Reinstall.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've been lurking this thread since yesterday when I got hit by Sirefef. It disabled MSE and ruined my firewall, which I can't turn back on. I installed Malwarebytes to no avail, then tried Avast. I've managed to stop the adds, redirects and remove the bitcoin miner (yes, I had a bitcoin miner :smith: ) but now I keep getting warnings about something called "Atraps" and my computer seems to be running a bit slower.

How can I reactivate my firewall, if that's possible?

ChesterKitty
Oct 2, 2001

Wanted By Weed posted:

I've been lurking this thread since yesterday when I got hit by Sirefef. It disabled MSE and ruined my firewall, which I can't turn back on. I installed Malwarebytes to no avail, then tried Avast. I've managed to stop the adds, redirects and remove the bitcoin miner (yes, I had a bitcoin miner :smith: ) but now I keep getting warnings about something called "Atraps" and my computer seems to be running a bit slower.

How can I reactivate my firewall, if that's possible?

I worked on a computer that was affected by this and lost the firewall. Are you seeing a missing firewall service as well? I googled one of the error messages that I received when I tried to reactivate the service and it led to a microsoft KB article that had one of those FixIt things that worked, amazingly enough. Unfortunately, I don't have that computer here anymore to look it up to reference it, but I was able to find it quickly enough.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well, I ran ComboFix after seeing it being praised in this thread, and it seems to have restored the firewall. I was even able to reinstall Microsoft Security Essentials and get it to run again.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Wanted By Weed posted:

Well, I ran ComboFix after seeing it being praised in this thread, and it seems to have restored the firewall. I was even able to reinstall Microsoft Security Essentials and get it to run again.

Lemme guess, you don't run backups and that's why you aren't just flattening and reinstalling that fucker?

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well, I'd rather not flatten and reinstall unless I absolutely had to, especially when it seems like everything's working now. I do run backups, I was just hoping I wouldn't have to do it.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
Yet another victory for ComboFix. It's getting really good at removing the fake AV programs. (Or maybe the malware authors are getting their summer vacations in.)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wanted By Weed posted:

Check if the firewall still has its default rules.

I had the same problem and the virus took with it the firewall and MSE. I was able to restore both but my home network mysteriously stopped working, refusing to even allow file sharing. In the end I figured out that the virus also deleted all the default firewall rules. I had to copy the registry key from my netbook.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't really know the history of combofix - but why is it so good at what it does, while anti-malware and AV programs completely suck?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I seem to have picked up something pretty nasty on my desktop, but I'm not entirely sure how to get it off. MSE picks it up, but it crashes windows before it can remove it. What are my options when it comes to boot CDs? I'd use a USB stick but my laptop's USB ports are all fried.

E: I couldn't get much info out of Microsoft Security Essentials before it shut down on me but I do know it's flagged as a trojan of some sort, and it's running as services.exe.

E2: got it! Trojan/Sirefef.M, Trojan/Sirefef.W and Phdet.E, hopefully I should be able to find something on google now.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 7, 2012

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Captain Novolin posted:

I seem to have picked up something pretty nasty on my desktop, but I'm not entirely sure how to get it off. MSE picks it up, but it crashes windows before it can remove it. What are my options when it comes to boot CDs? I'd use a USB stick but my laptop's USB ports are all fried.

E: I couldn't get much info out of Microsoft Security Essentials before it shut down on me but I do know it's flagged as a trojan of some sort, and it's running as services.exe.

E2: got it! Trojan/Sirefef.M, Trojan/Sirefef.W and Phdet.E, hopefully I should be able to find something on google now.

To be safe, you'll want some sort of offline scanner that will work outside of Windows. You can just use Microsoft's Windows Defender Offline to make a boot CD. Best if you can make it on a clean PC.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

-Dethstryk- posted:

To be safe, you'll want some sort of offline scanner that will work outside of Windows. You can just use Microsoft's Windows Defender Offline to make a boot CD. Best if you can make it on a clean PC.

Thanks! I knew there was a microsoft one but I couldn't remember what it was called. After it finishes I'll probably give Malwarebytes and stuff a go to make sure I got it all. Ironically when I booted up my computer my first thought was that I should run a scan because I hadn't done one in a while :doh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I don't really know the history of combofix - but why is it so good at what it does, while anti-malware and AV programs completely suck?

One of the main things ComboFix does that no other tool seems to, is kill a lot of "unstoppable" Windows processes so that they can actually be scanned correctly. "Rootkit" viruses hide themselves in this way by making themselves invisible while the system is running normally, and you pretty much have to scan the system in some type of offline mode to be able to find them. My guess is that doing this requires interrupting the system and making it unusable during the scan, which is seen as a no-no for most AV programs.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
speaking of which - there are so many times when I need to use combofix via remote access - but combofix kills the logmein service, and will sit there waiting for prompts from the user.

has anyone had any luck using some other remote access program to run combofix? or does combofix have an unattended mode? I hate that they try to hide information about the program on the basis that only their dumb trained 'malware gurus' can handle using the tool properly.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

mindphlux posted:

speaking of which - there are so many times when I need to use combofix via remote access - but combofix kills the logmein service, and will sit there waiting for prompts from the user.

has anyone had any luck using some other remote access program to run combofix? or does combofix have an unattended mode? I hate that they try to hide information about the program on the basis that only their dumb trained 'malware gurus' can handle using the tool properly.

Same thing happens with GoToAssist. :(

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
goddamnit there's gotta be a way

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

so after spending a day getting rid of smarthdd in may I got my msn account disabled twice the last 30 days by microsoft. Are MSN accounts frequently just hacked or do I basically have a keylogger/trojan installed?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Dante posted:

so after spending a day getting rid of smarthdd in may I got my msn account disabled twice the last 30 days by microsoft. Are MSN accounts frequently just hacked or do I basically have a keylogger/trojan installed?

Assuming that your password is sufficiently complex, and you aren't reusing it anywhere, you've got a rootkit.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mindphlux posted:

ComboFix specifically kills all network connectivity while running, so no remote login program is going to work, short of something like a KVM switch you can remote into. Even connecting to another computer local to it, the network is flat-out not there. This is mainly due to a lot of malware infecting the network stack in Windows for redirection purposes.

As for an unattended, sadly they decided to make the tool without one; there's no way to fully automate it, and no command-line switches programmed into it either.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

univbee posted:

ComboFix specifically kills all network connectivity while running, so no remote login program is going to work, short of something like a KVM switch you can remote into. Even connecting to another computer local to it, the network is flat-out not there. This is mainly due to a lot of malware infecting the network stack in Windows for redirection purposes.

As for an unattended, sadly they decided to make the tool without one; there's no way to fully automate it, and no command-line switches programmed into it either.
Provided the machine has the Windows recovery tool install and isn't prompted for it, you could use autohotkey to hit the buttons for you (assume infection and the relevant prompts). Assuming you can tab into all the yes/no boxes it wouldn't be too awkward.

You should be able to RDP into the machine after the reboot to log in.

It's not ideal, but if it's absolutely necessary to be remote this might work. Or, find a lackey.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Hello guys, I've got something that befuddles me.
The operating system is Windows Server 2008 R2. Recently it was hit by a cocktail of backdoors/ trojans.
It seems that somehow a trojan has done something to hook itself to the spacebar keypress(?). Here's what's happening:
When I RDP into the server and press space, I don't get a space character. Instead, the system tries to run a file in %windir%\system32\bootsysten.exe. Now, this bootsysten.exe was a trojan detected by Forefront as "Zegost.AF" and removed, so I get a cannot find file error.
The funny thing is this:
Let's say I start a command prompt. I press space. I do not get a space character sent to the command prompt, but instead the keypress is hijacked to try to run the removed file.
If I start a command prompt as administrator, I can press space and get spaces.

How do you hijack keypresses, and where do I go to remove it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Depends on how it's doing it. The easy way is through a registry entry, check out your HKEY_LOCAL\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout and see if there's anything wacky in there. There's other ways but I don't remember off hand. What you're experiencing is called a keyboard hook.

Maybe check out the registry keys referenced here:
http://www.mcafee.com/threat-intelligence/malware/default.aspx?id=1011218

I'd suggest doing a full/better removal though, especially for a server.

• Locked thread