Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Samosas are the best deep fried Indian food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Speaking of frying, has anyone made gulab jamun before? People at work bring them in occasionally and I eat them until I develop diabetes and grow a walrus mustache. Not sure what'll happen if I learn to make them myself... I'm planning on trying this recipe: http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2006/12/23/gulab-jamun/

Smooglepoot
May 20, 2009
I just made a lemon meringue pie today and there was some liquid that collected between the layer of meringue and the filling. Is this because I over cooked it? The recipe told me to put the meringue on when the filling was still hot, then I baked it in a toaster oven with a baking setting. The meringue was only slightly browned on the tips but it was firm all the way through.

The reason I used a toaster oven was because I had forgotten that we were having trouble with our regular oven.

vxk5004
Oct 23, 2008

geetee posted:

Speaking of frying, has anyone made gulab jamun before? People at work bring them in occasionally and I eat them until I develop diabetes and grow a walrus mustache. Not sure what'll happen if I learn to make them myself... I'm planning on trying this recipe: http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2006/12/23/gulab-jamun/

I've used this recipe before and it turns out great - I'd never made them before either and it wasn't very difficult at all, enjoy!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Smooglepoot posted:

I just made a lemon meringue pie today and there was some liquid that collected between the layer of meringue and the filling. Is this because I over cooked it? The recipe told me to put the meringue on when the filling was still hot, then I baked it in a toaster oven with a baking setting. The meringue was only slightly browned on the tips but it was firm all the way through.

The reason I used a toaster oven was because I had forgotten that we were having trouble with our regular oven.

Define "some". In my mother's lemon meringue pie, the meringue never really sticks to the lemon part, I guess having a bit of liquid is a good descriptor. I'm not talking puddles here, though. If the meringue was only slightly brown on the tips, there's no way you overcooked it, unless you did it at a super low temperature, then weird things might have happened. Meringues do have a propensity to "weep" by losing moisture (a lot of times on the top in a kind of unsightly fashion), so it's probably that. According to the internet, placing the whipped egg whites onto really fuckin' hot filling is the best thing to combat this.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

squigadoo posted:

I've been trying to cook chicken thighs since they were on sale, and used them in chicken katsu. Normally, I use breast since it's just easier to cut up but I figured this would be just fine after I removed fat and bone. However, the texture was objectionable. A bit gooey feeling, and gristly. I don't mind the gristle, although it would be nice to trim that out so my boyfriend doesn't complain.

But, how do I get rid of the gooey feeling? Is it the fat? Should I just not use thighs for this?

This probably isn't helpful, but for reference, chicken katsu is generally only made with chicken breast here in Japan. Thigh bits are used for karaage.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
I really appologize for the derail, but are there any vegetarian threads in GWS? I've been looking for at least 15 minutes, but all I can find is the vegan thread.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

geetee posted:

Just an add-on to your question: Would there be a particular reason why that recipe specifies nonfat milk powder? e.g. texture or "you're not going to improve the taste for the extra fat you get" or something.

I'm wondering because, at least in my area, nonfat milk powder is way more common/easy to find than whole, so it's kind of just the typical thing. I can go either way though.

Smooglepoot
May 20, 2009

Eeyo posted:

Define "some". In my mother's lemon meringue pie, the meringue never really sticks to the lemon part, I guess having a bit of liquid is a good descriptor. I'm not talking puddles here, though. If the meringue was only slightly brown on the tips, there's no way you overcooked it, unless you did it at a super low temperature, then weird things might have happened. Meringues do have a propensity to "weep" by losing moisture (a lot of times on the top in a kind of unsightly fashion), so it's probably that. According to the internet, placing the whipped egg whites onto really fuckin' hot filling is the best thing to combat this.

I didn't measure it but I think it was a couple table spoons worth of liquid at the most. I poured it off and it seemed fine. None of the liquid came out of the top of the meringue. Also I put the meringue on as soon as I poured the filling into the pie shell so it was piping hot. Oh well, the reason I asked is because after a quick search I only found contradicting answers.

And yeah it was only slightly brown that's why I mentioned the toaster oven part because things seemed to take twice as long to cook as they would in a normal oven. Thanks for the answer! :)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

mugrim posted:

I really appologize for the derail, but are there any vegetarian threads in GWS? I've been looking for at least 15 minutes, but all I can find is the vegan thread.
I don't think there is one, although there are many fantastic vegetarians who post in the dinner thread. I believe the reason is that most veggies just discuss their techniques in the vegan thread because the basic needs are the same. That said I would like to read about more vegetarian stuff so you should make a thread.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Hey guys,

Since moving to arizona one thing from my old Kentucky home has alluded me. The cravings have become to great and now I'm prepared to do some cooking to satisfy my self.

Beer Cheese Request
I'm looking for something as similar as possible to Hall's

Please tell me someone knows what I'm talking about and has a recipe.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
http://www.familycookbookproject.com/view_recipesite.asp?rid=558858&uid=7684&sid=17416

Could start from that, if it sounds about right?

Edit: I finally got around to finding something about shio koji, the rice stuff I was talking about earlier. Everyone was telling me that I'd die of fried rice syndrome or something... and I'm happy to say that I've never heard of someone dying from eating shio koji.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/fg20120224f1.html#.T_eOAZJyRok

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 7, 2012

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sterster posted:

Beer Cheese Request
I'm looking for something as similar as possible to Hall's

Well now I'm going to make some beer cheese soup. I'm intrigued if anyone has tried making this with an good stout, or (I don't think this will work) a IPA or 2XIPA?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Tastes more intense, sure, but don't taste like fresh tomatoes at all. The tomato taste has been adulterated and has become a different taste.

same with raisins.

different does not mean worse. I don't know if you're just being obstinate now, but the response is either stupid or in bad faith.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pork never goes bad posted:

different does not mean worse. I don't know if you're just being obstinate now, but the response is either stupid or in bad faith.

they are most certainly worse at tasting like fresh tomatoes than fresh tomatoes.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
I've got a truckload of fresh bing cherries. What is your most amazing cherry pie recipe????

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

HookShot posted:

Samosas are the best deep fried Indian food.
Pakora.

I could live off pakora.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Pakora.

I could live off pakora.

Chicken pakora. It's like tempura went from magikarp to gyarados.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

tarepanda posted:

Chicken pakora. It's like tempura went from magikarp to gyarados.

That is the gooniest loving analogy. And I don't even know what it means.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Drink and Fight posted:

That is the gooniest loving analogy. And I don't even know what it means.

I tried really hard. It was originally something like "that useless fishy pokemon turned into the big dragon thing" and then I had to go google it because I thought everyone would ridicule me.

Tempura is great and crunchy and awesome when it's done well... I especially love maitake tempura. I've had chicken tempura a few times, but it's always kind of dry and just an effort to chew. Chicken pakora, on the other hand, mmm.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Speaking of fried and Indian food, I had something at an Indian buffet once and I haven't been ale to figure out what it's called. They were deep fried crunchy croquette/fritter things, almost like falafel, but I believe they were made with pureed eggplant. They were quite spicy.

The closest thing I've found is vankaya bonda, but that's made with the whole eggplant.

Any ideas?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Yehudis Basya posted:

I've got a truckload of fresh bing cherries. What is your most amazing cherry pie recipe????

This I would love an answer to, too..

Also - what to do with chestnuts, I've pureed the suckers, roasted them, eaten them with butter - can they be some sort of pie filling??

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So, regarding my freezer full of pounds and pounds of berries:

I've tried blueberries in oatmeal (plain rolled oats with apple sauce and cinnamon, can't believe this poo poo is like .2 cents a serving), and in Greek yogurt with hemp hearts. However, they kind of taste like cardboard and have really lost a lot of their berry texture. Does this mean that they're old and I should just suck it up and throw them out? :(

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Happy Hat posted:

Also - what to do with chestnuts, I've pureed the suckers, roasted them, eaten them with butter - can they be some sort of pie filling??

I can eat infinity chestnuts wrapped in bacon. Are they raw? I used to love raw chestnuts as a kid; Korean cuisine uses them raw and peeled (including the pellicle; a giant pain in the rear end) and I loved sneaking a few to munch on raw. Anyway, raw, peeled chestnuts you can quarter/halve and toss into a pot of rice, slice thin and toss into water kimchi (not regular chimchi), or throw into a shortrib (or any other kind of cut) braise as a starch to cook in the liquid.

I've never done a chestnut pie, but I imagine you could transform a sweet potato recipe with pureed chestnuts?

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine
I have more zucchini than I can possibly eat. My garden has been wildly successful after deciding to stop planting a million varieties of things and stick to something simple, so I did a three sisters setup with corn, beans, and squash. The corn was ruined by my geese, but the beans are doing well on tomato cages and the squash has been very productive.

I have been blanching and freezing most of the zucchini and yellow squash and also tried vinegar pickles. I boiled distilled white vinegar with some salt, added dill, peppercorns, and a single clove in each jar then filled the jar with sliced zucchini and the boiled vinegar/salt over that and let them sit a couple weeks.

I like sour, but these are sour in the extreme. The flavor is great behind the sour, so I like this particular mix of flavors minus the overpowering sour flavor. Will age mellow this or can I add something to blunt the sour? Maybe a recipe that isn't sweet, but more mellow?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Happy Hat posted:

This I would love an answer to, too..

You can puree them and use them as pastry filling, make chestnut butter (like peanut butter), chop them and use in stuffing.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

tuyop posted:

I've tried blueberries in oatmeal (plain rolled oats with apple sauce and cinnamon, can't believe this poo poo is like .2 cents a serving), and in Greek yogurt with hemp hearts. However, they kind of taste like cardboard and have really lost a lot of their berry texture. Does this mean that they're old and I should just suck it up and throw them out? :(

I dunno about the cardboard flavor, but freezing anything with a high water content (like fruits and vegetables) is going to definitely alter its thawed texture.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking for a good jambalaya recipe...slow cooker would be best but I'll take anything.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

tuyop posted:

Do they taste alright pureed? There's still a few things you could try to avoid the texture of the whole fruit. You could try to make some fruit leather, a brief google search suggests that you don't necessarily need to add sugar to the fruit, so it would be more diet friendly than jams/jellies. Essentially you just puree the fruit to roughly applesauce consistency, spread it thin on a pan and dry it out in an oven/dehydrator.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nwin posted:

Looking for a good jambalaya recipe...slow cooker would be best but I'll take anything.

I guarantee you slow cooker is possibly the worst tool to make jambalaya in. Rice dishes require a lot of finesse and timing, the antithesis of the crockpot.

Emeril, though made fun of a lot for his persona, is actually a fantastic Louisiana style chef. His Jambalaya recipe is quite good. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cajun-jambalaya-recipe2/index.html

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

GrAviTy84 posted:

I guarantee you slow cooker is possibly the worst tool to make jambalaya in. Rice dishes require a lot of finesse and timing, the antithesis of the crockpot.

Emeril, though made fun of a lot for his persona, is actually a fantastic Louisiana style chef. His Jambalaya recipe is quite good. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cajun-jambalaya-recipe2/index.html

Yeah, the more I thought about it, the more ridiculous it sounded...I was thinking I could make a jambalaya-like stew in the crockpot, and then just serve it over rice, but I think I'll go with your recommendation instead.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Anyone have a particularly good source for Monin syrups online (or retail in the Las Vegas area)? I can order directly from them but I kind of want to avoid paying $9 to ship a $15 order. :(

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...

eggrolled posted:

Anyone have a particularly good source for Monin syrups online (or retail in the Las Vegas area)? I can order directly from them but I kind of want to avoid paying $9 to ship a $15 order. :(

Check TJ Maxx and Marshalls (Ross too, I think.) They all have a food section and I've regularly seen Monin syrups there for the 5-7 dollar range. I forget the exact price. It's kind of a crap shoot, but if you work or live near one, check and see if they carry any. :)

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I have a hankering to start messing around with cherries, pie and quick pickling, maybe some other stuff.
I can only get basic sweet cherries at about $2 a pound, along with rainier cherries at about $5 a pound. I know sour cherries are the normal thing for pies, will sweet cherries work? Would rainiers work for pie too?

I'm thinking about doing a quick pickle on some cherries with star anise, vanilla, and maybe some bitters that fit the theme.

subtotal fecal
May 25, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can you always subtitute butter for vegetable oil when frying?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

subtotal fecal posted:

Can you always subtitute butter for vegetable oil when frying?

No, because butter smokes and burns at a much cooler temperature than vegetable oil. Use it over lower heat, which might not always be feasible for what you're trying to do.

subtotal fecal
May 25, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dis astranagant posted:

No, because butter smokes and burns at a much cooler temperature than vegetable oil. Use it over lower heat, which might not always be feasible for what you're trying to do.

Alright, thanks.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Redleg posted:

I have more zucchini than I can possibly eat. My garden has been wildly successful after deciding to stop planting a million varieties of things and stick to something simple, so I did a three sisters setup with corn, beans, and squash. The corn was ruined by my geese, but the beans are doing well on tomato cages and the squash has been very productive.

I have been blanching and freezing most of the zucchini and yellow squash and also tried vinegar pickles. I boiled distilled white vinegar with some salt, added dill, peppercorns, and a single clove in each jar then filled the jar with sliced zucchini and the boiled vinegar/salt over that and let them sit a couple weeks.

I like sour, but these are sour in the extreme. The flavor is great behind the sour, so I like this particular mix of flavors minus the overpowering sour flavor. Will age mellow this or can I add something to blunt the sour? Maybe a recipe that isn't sweet, but more mellow?

In my experience, vinegar pickles tend to get more intense after a while, as the brine really soaks through the veg. If you want to mellow them out without increasing the sweetness, you could just substitute a portion of the vinegar with water, though that'll probably change how long they'll keep in the fridge.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hey, what happened to the Mexican cooking thread? Can't find it in archives, had it bookmarked and it's gone from there, can't find it in the goldmine, help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
PRI bought it out so that it couldn't compete in the election.

Start a new one because Mexican food is the best food.