Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CycleGeek
Apr 30, 2009
I think I'm going to be the first person here to sing the praises of DSLR controller - it's an Android app that allows you to connect your Canon SLR (a T2i, in my case) to a tablet or cell phone and get live view and pretty much full manual control of your camera.

It's absolutely insanely awesome for taking pictures of fireworks.

Here is my setup - there's a T2i on a tripod with a cord leading down to my lawn chair.

This way I can take incredibly long exposure pictures of the fireworks at Westport, CT while sitting down and enjoying the show a bit myself.

I also did a few pictures in Weehawken of the Macy's Fireworks, but those weren't amazing IMO - the security theater around there made it incredibly difficult for people from Connecticut to get to the good viewing spots, plus the barges weren't in the right place to get good pictures of Midtown so all you can see is a faint outline of the new World Trade Center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IED enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006

Love is Packed in Cylinders and Smells Like Ammonium Nitrate.
Holy shitballs Batman, this thread is awesome!

Musket posted:

Fuju X100, 15seconds f/16 iso 200 ND filter on.

I love this frame, and the Ferris Wheel. Makes me want to go shoot a carnival. Did you bracket this exposure by chance? If not did you at least shoot in RAW? You should totally check out Trey Ratcliff's HDR tutorial. The clouds in this image would look epic if they were rendered in HDR or given a little more contrast somehow. Trey shows you how to accomplish this by using all of your bracketed photos or by creating over and underexposed photos out of a single RAW image in PS. Another option would be Magic Bullet Photolooks, I've had some good results there, best way I can think of shy of PS alchemy.

I've been shooting time-lapse stuff as of late, comprised of lots of long exposure photos. Hope it's cool if I post thumbs and those video links in lieu of proper photos.

Fairly nifty time-lapse of Harvard Square I shot last night

Significantly less impressive time-lapse experiment of 4th of July Fireworks display in Boston

I put the stats regarding how I created the images into both the video and the video description if anyone is interested, (I find that placing it in the video is good both for mobile viewers and for anyone who is too lazy/uninterested to actually read the description).

Constructive criticism is welcome.

IED enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 7, 2012

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

A crummy picture from a full moon (troubleshooting) session.

http://geza.zenfolio.com/p17317512/h17da3a0b#h17da3a0b

Thankfully all the problems were resolved.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

theHUNGERian posted:

A crummy picture from a full moon (troubleshooting) session.

http://geza.zenfolio.com/p17317512/h17da3a0b#h17da3a0b

Thankfully all the problems were resolved.

Nice work. Browsing through your other photos it looks like you recently upgraded to the SBIG? I just switched over from Nikon D90 to a Canon 1000D for my AP work (kept the Nikon for regular photography), which I successfully performed the Gary Honis Baader modification myself. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I should get better results than I did with my Nikon. Also picked up an SSAG and Orion short tube to guide with. I have been without power the past 7 days and just got it back, so hoping to get out this week for some testing. Biggest hurdle using Nikon for AP work is the lack of good compatible camera control software like BackyardEOS and APT.

Did you notice a significant difference going from DSLR to dedicated CCD for your work? Also, you should give PixInsight Trial a shot if you haven't used it. I get significantly better results from PI than DSS for processing.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Choicecut posted:

Nice work. Browsing through your other photos it looks like you recently upgraded to the SBIG? I just switched over from Nikon D90 to a Canon 1000D for my AP work (kept the Nikon for regular photography), which I successfully performed the Gary Honis Baader modification myself. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I should get better results than I did with my Nikon. Also picked up an SSAG and Orion short tube to guide with. I have been without power the past 7 days and just got it back, so hoping to get out this week for some testing. Biggest hurdle using Nikon for AP work is the lack of good compatible camera control software like BackyardEOS and APT.

Did you notice a significant difference going from DSLR to dedicated CCD for your work? Also, you should give PixInsight Trial a shot if you haven't used it. I get significantly better results from PI than DSS for processing.

Thanks.

Yes, the SBIG is just barely 2 months old. It's the best upgrade ever. Much lower noise than a DSLR.

I used ImagesPlusV4 for some of my images, but I never saw an improvement when compared to DSS. Ever since upgrading to a mono CCD, the only (minor) parts I don't like in my images is due to the lens. But I guess a better stacking software could get me an extra boost. I was planning on giving CCDStack a try as PixInsight has a very steep learning curve from what I heard. Do you think PI's learning curve is blown out of proportion?

Hats off for modding the Canon yourself, good luck with your first light, and I hope you get to keep your power.

IED enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006

Hilroy posted:

30 sec, 50D, 24mm prime, f11, iso 100

This is great. Where did you shoot this from? I'd really like to get some time-lapse stuff from/of the Zakim.

Here are two more time-lapse shots I took on Saturday night, they both took over an hour to expose.

Time-lapse shot at Harvard Station looking toward Brattle Street at about 10 at night.

Porter Square right after sunset on the same day.

IED enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 9, 2012

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

theHUNGERian posted:

Thanks.

Yes, the SBIG is just barely 2 months old. It's the best upgrade ever. Much lower noise than a DSLR.

I used ImagesPlusV4 for some of my images, but I never saw an improvement when compared to DSS. Ever since upgrading to a mono CCD, the only (minor) parts I don't like in my images is due to the lens. But I guess a better stacking software could get me an extra boost. I was planning on giving CCDStack a try as PixInsight has a very steep learning curve from what I heard. Do you think PI's learning curve is blown out of proportion?

Hats off for modding the Canon yourself, good luck with your first light, and I hope you get to keep your power.

I would love to get good enough for a CCD someday. My focus right now is to get an observatory so I can get more imaging time.

I had only used DSS until Jekub over in the Space & Astrophoto Thread told me about Pixinsight and his results are really impressive. There are some great tutorials over at Harry's Astro Shed that make the software pretty easy to learn. I hear lots of folks say they are afraid to try it due to the learning curve, but IMO it isn't as bad as people say. You can get a free 30 trial from them to check it out.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

IED enthusiast posted:

Holy shitballs Batman, this thread is awesome!

I love this frame, and the Ferris Wheel. Makes me want to go shoot a carnival. Did you bracket this exposure by chance? If not did you at least shoot in RAW? You should totally check out Trey Ratcliff's HDR tutorial. The clouds in this image would look epic if they were rendered in HDR or given a little more contrast somehow. Trey shows you how to accomplish this by using all of your bracketed photos or by creating over and underexposed photos out of a single RAW image in PS. Another option would be Magic Bullet Photolooks, I've had some good results there, best way I can think of shy of PS alchemy.

Was shot Jpeg. Not a shot id use for HDR imo.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Here is a bus that sells delicious coffee during the day time. Shot with Mamiya RZ67, the tripod was a bitch to set up in a away so that its silver legs didn't reflect in the car's windows.

untitled by polysynthesism, on Flickr

IED enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006

Musket posted:

Was shot Jpeg. Not a shot id use for HDR imo.

Yeah, perhaps I'm a little pedestrian, I just think that the clouds would be awesome in HDR for some reason. I just like seeing light where there shouldn't be any and this image struck me as ideal for HDR. You should try sticking it in photomatix and seeing what comes out just for shits.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

IED enthusiast posted:

Yeah, perhaps I'm a little pedestrian, I just think that the clouds would be awesome in HDR for some reason. I just like seeing light where there shouldn't be any and this image struck me as ideal for HDR. You should try sticking it in photomatix and seeing what comes out just for shits.

I do plenty of HDR, its just not a shot that would work well.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

CycleGeek posted:

I also did a few pictures in Weehawken of the Macy's Fireworks, but those weren't amazing IMO - the security theater around there made it incredibly difficult for people from Connecticut to get to the good viewing spots, plus the barges weren't in the right place to get good pictures of Midtown so all you can see is a faint outline of the new World Trade Center.

Sup Weehawken buddy :respek:

15mm Sigma fisheye, 3200 ISO, 3x .5 second bracketed images, handheld.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 11, 2012

IED enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006

Musket posted:

I do plenty of HDR, its just not a shot that would work well.

Yeah you're right. In that case I like it. =)

Also would like to see your HDR stuff if you have a link.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
A couple more form more recently. I think I've got some technique down, but I kinda feel like I'm stuck in a rut of mostly boring photos.

down by the water by thetzar, on Flickr

not it by thetzar, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Lightning! Not sure if I like how I processed these or not.

DSC_0052.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0046.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

thetzar posted:

A couple more form more recently. I think I've got some technique down, but I kinda feel like I'm stuck in a rut of mostly boring photos.

down by the water by thetzar, on Flickr

I loving love this, very nice. Not boring at all to me.

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

Sup Weehawken buddy :respek:

15mm Sigma fisheye, 3200 ISO, 3x .5 second bracketed images, handheld.

I really like this shot. Were your individual shots sharp at 0.5 sec? I assume not - what software then you used to combine it?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

IED enthusiast posted:

Yeah you're right. In that case I like it. =)

Also would like to see your HDR stuff if you have a link.

(heavy vignetting as its edited for canvas with thick border and wrap)

small sampling. moving my stuff around right now so things are kinda all over.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Exergy posted:

I really like this shot. Were your individual shots sharp at 0.5 sec? I assume not - what software then you used to combine it?

You know, I actually don't remember exactly, but at 15mm it's kinda easy to get a sharp wide-open even at half second. I used CS 5.1 to process the HDR.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Musket posted:

I love the colors on this, vivid.

IED enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006

Musket posted:

This.

I should really take some stills, or at least flip through the like 8000 stills that made up my time lapse stuff and see if anything looks pretty.

IED enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 21, 2019

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CycleGeek posted:

This way I can take incredibly long exposure pictures of the fireworks at Westport, CT while sitting down and enjoying the show a bit myself.
You live in Westport? I'm in Fairfield and we should grab a beer and take pictures of things sometime.

Deadweight
Feb 8, 2005

"I might even be able to crash the whole damn system."

Taken about a half hour ago four blocks from my house.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Deadweight posted:

:aaaaa:

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Deadweight posted:

Amazing. Can you share technical details? How many shots, what exposure? Asking because I want to be like you.

Deadweight
Feb 8, 2005

"I might even be able to crash the whole damn system."

Exergy posted:

Amazing. Can you share technical details? How many shots, what exposure? Asking because I want to be like you.

Dawww, shucks.

D7000
18-105 @ 18mm, 20 seconds
Iso 200, 3.5

I did some cropping, but other than that, nothing was done to the image. Right place, right time. And thanks for the praise, I've just gotten into photography. Did some reading up on it, but just got my first body three weeks ago. Been having a blast with it.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

21st july astrophotography 004 by HezzyUK, on Flickr

Can anyone give me tips on how I can get some awesome astrophotography shots? I have a Canon 400D

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Finally had a chance to get out with the new guiding setup. Spent half the night fighting star trails before I realized I had phd set to 4seconds! It was my first time guiding, so cut me some slack :). It was also my first time using my self modded Canon 1000D. Result was pretty good, so I can't complain.

Lagoon & Trifid Nebula:

Lagoon & Trifid Nebula 7-21-2012 by elimisel, on Flickr

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Had a small break in imaging the Lagoon and Trifid nebulae due to trees. Took a couple quick shots of M13 Globular Cluster over in Hercules. Nothing spectacular due to the smaller focal length of the 80mm, but turned out OK. Stack of 3, 1 minutes exposures, captured with BackyardEOS, stacked and processed with PI and Adobe Lightroom.

Messier13 7-21-2012 Final by elimisel, on Flickr

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
That's some nice stuff you've got there choicecut.

Fun times in the sand dunes but I miss the Tonika 11-16, my Peleng 8mm is just a bit too slow.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

This is loving rad, I love it!

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006
So I took my first leap into long night shots on a spur-of-the-moment trek around 3:30am. This thread has been nothing short of inspiring to me, so I figured it's time to grow a pair and see what y'all think:

^should I just portrait crop this one? I'm still not sure how I want to frame it.

*I promise I tried to keep the processing to a minimum -- I've already had my split-toning sellout phase.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Picture of M51 I took last night. The moon was blowing everything out, so I gave up on the Veil Nebula. Have to hit it next month. This is about an hour of exposure time, captured with APT, stacked and processed with PixInsight and Adobe Lightroom.

M51 Whirlpool Galaxy 7-28-2012 by elimisel, on Flickr

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
I took this a while back but left the shutter open too long. Tried to fix it with offset in Photoshop, but not sure how successful that was. Going to reshoot anyway I think.

DSC_6150 by scottch, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Crossposting some of these from Low Effort, my first ever attempt at shooting fireworks. I'm pretty happy with the results:

Celebration of Light 2012 by hookshot88, on Flickr

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I want to see a computer-designed-and-synchronised multiple fireworks burst that paints a huge grinning skull in the sky now :)

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007
I'm gay for Michael Phelps.

But everyone's gay for someone - right? RIGHT?
From a recent trip through Southeast Asia

Singapore By Night by Ebola Cereal, on Flickr

Bangkok Car Chase by Ebola Cereal, on Flickr

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Ablaze by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Portal by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Middle Head Lightpainting by Aztatlan, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I tried to combine some H-alpha data with OIII data, but clouds rolled in before capturing OIII data. So for now, I am stuck with only half the image, but I am pretty happy so far.

http://geza.zenfolio.com/p17317512/h83ee189#h83ee189

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

theHUNGERian posted:

I tried to combine some H-alpha data with OIII data, but clouds rolled in before capturing OIII data. So for now, I am stuck with only half the image, but I am pretty happy so far.

That's going to be a stunning image when it's finished, more so than it is already!

DSLR long exposure and warm evenings don't mix to well, I need to get on with making my cool box, or finding a couple of grand down the back of the sofa for a proper CCD. Anyway, from the clear, but humid and warm weekend.

NGC6820/NGC6823 by tmarkuk, on Flickr

NGC6946 The Fireworks Galaxy by tmarkuk, on Flickr