Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

I have Draw Desktop Background off. I have it set to 1024x768. Still does it. I guess the connection is just rear end. That's too bad. Still...happy for the more direct approach. :)
Definitely glad it's working. My girlfriend's college IT staff told her the same thing when asking about the process to remote into the school's lab. They said it only worked on Windows and was literally impossible to do with a Mac. Boot Camp or virtualization was the recommended solution, which sounded ridiculous to me. About 30 seconds on her MBP with the Windows procedure and I had CoRD working perfectly.

It's just a matter of IT staffs being unfamiliar/too lazy to support OS X users, which stunned me on a large college campus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No poo poo. I mean I get why they would go with the more common denominator, but it's like... hey... my whole office has Macs at home! I know others must too in different branches. We're not loving Lepers!

Anyway, I am eternally grateful to the both of you! And after fiddling with all the effects and resolutions, it's definitely the network connection or whatever.

But I am so thrilled and will be passing all this on to everyone at work. THANKS!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You may want to go straight to IT and offer the solution to them before you show everyone else, otherwise they're going to start getting help requests for an unsupported configuration and hate OS X users even more. If for some reason they're worried about CoRD, the official Microsoft RDC application should work as well but I don't like its interface nearly as much.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You may want to go straight to IT and offer the solution to them before you show everyone else, otherwise they're going to start getting help requests for an unsupported configuration and hate OS X users even more. If for some reason they're worried about CoRD, the official Microsoft RDC application should work as well but I don't like its interface nearly as much.

Excellent advice. :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's just a matter of IT staffs being unfamiliar/too lazy to support OS X users, which stunned me on a large college campus.

Not to mention "MACS SUCK ONLY STUPID GRANDMAS AND HIPSTERS USE MACS"

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Oneiros posted:

Launchpad is dumb and you shouldn't use it (does anyone here actually use Launchpad?).

I had this opinion until someone actually demoed Lauchpad for me, and when using gestures, it kicks the poo poo out of the dock and finder for launching apps.

E: I was the same way with full screen apps and mission control. I ignored them for almost a year, but once I started using more gestures, I found them indispensable.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 7, 2012

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Not to mention "MACS SUCK ONLY STUPID GRANDMAS AND HIPSTERS USE MACS"

Oh, have we moved on from 'The Gays'?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

empty baggie posted:

I had this opinion until someone actually demoed Lauchpad for me, and when using gestures, it kicks the poo poo out of the dock and finder for launching apps.

I use launchpad too but sometimes it feels like I am the only one. It's pretty convenient for launching stuff not on the dock.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mike- posted:

I use launchpad too but sometimes it feels like I am the only one. It's pretty convenient for launching stuff not on the dock.

You obviously don't have enough stuff in your dock.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

mike- posted:

Seriously though, five finger pinch to open Launchpad, and tap on the app. Doesn't get much faster than that. I'm getting a magic trackpad for my iMac because navigation is weird on it now. Never ever thought I would prefer a trackpad (it does help that the thing is huge).

withak posted:

You obviously don't have enough stuff in your dock.

It's nice to have a clean dock after years of keeping 20 or 30 apps in it.

VVV Well yeah, that's why I didn't mention anything about Spotlight. Compared to the Dock and Finder, Lauchpad wins hands down.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 7, 2012

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I mean cmd space and typing the first 2 letters is pretty fast too. I've never used launch pad. I don't even use the dock.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Alfred's where it's at. Honestly one of my favorite and most-used apps ever. I switched its and Spotlight's hotkeys around for convenience and it's so good. The paid version adds quite a bit of stuff but I haven't dished out for it yet as the free version does everything I need it to do at the moment. And I just found out you can make iTunes play certain tracks with it, too, which is great when iTunes is fullscreened on another desktop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can I disable Spotlight from doing that annoying full-text search?

I know I can disable it completely on certain directories. I hate pulling something down in SVN and then having Spotlight index it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

empty baggie posted:

E: I was the same way with full screen apps and mission control. I ignored them for almost a year, but once I started using more gestures, I found them indispensable.

I use launchpad when using my laptop directly (ie not docked) because of the gestures. I do think it needs some refinement, however.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

I have this same crap in my launch pad. Is it possible to delete them?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

None that I know of, it's what I hope is fixed in 10.8.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

That's just Adobe dumping a ton of crap in your Applications folder, I think. I have a few of those that are completely useless as well.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Bob Morales posted:

I'd bump the VM down to an even 1GB. You won't hurt the drive.

How much of that memory is 'inactive'?

Just thought I'd respond again and say that this plus what was probably a needed reboot after 50 days, plus my brand new Win7 VM finally finishing all of its background compilation of .NET stuff means that I'm running without trouble at this point, so thanks for the advice.

I mean it's not perfect -- it's a 2010 Air and you can only stretch a Core2 chip and 4GB so far -- but at least now I have a few hundred MB of free RAM with all of my usual applications open and I'm not paging so much.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

geonetix posted:

That's just Adobe dumping a ton of crap in your Applications folder, I think. I have a few of those that are completely useless as well.

That's what I mean, either Adobe needs to figure out an application architecture that doesn't require dumping uninstallers everywhere, or Apple needs to let us choose which applications appear in Launchpad.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I have this same crap in my launch pad. Is it possible to delete them?

There's a system preference pane that you can install that can hide them, it works pretty well for me.

http://chaosspace.de/launchpad-control/

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Awesome. Thanks!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Macintosh posted:

There's a system preference pane that you can install that can hide them, it works pretty well for me.

http://chaosspace.de/launchpad-control/

Holy poo poo this just turned me from a hater into a lover. Seriously. God bless you guys. This thread is like the gift that keeps on giving!

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

I was surprised to not see GIMP for OS X included in the OP, now that 2.8.0 packages for Mac are out.

http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/News/News.html

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

rzeszowianin 44 posted:

I was surprised to not see GIMP for OS X included in the OP, now that 2.8.0 packages for Mac are out.

http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/News/News.html

That is because the Gimp is a piece of poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone know of a similar benchmark (web browser RAM usage) for the Mac versions?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
What is it called when all of my desktop icons change sizes and move around when I bring my macbook pro home from work (at work I've got a dual monitor setup; at home I'm just on the laptop)? Because that's annoying and is the opposite of helpful.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone know of a similar benchmark (web browser RAM usage) for the Mac versions?

Not that I know of, but I can rustle one up

jackpot posted:

What is it called when all of my desktop icons change sizes and move around when I bring my macbook pro home from work (at work I've got a dual monitor setup; at home I'm just on the laptop)? Because that's annoying and is the opposite of helpful.

It's called Finder being a piece of poo poo. Get used to it, my friend :smith:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
My mother brought over her mac today and complained about problems with it - some adobe software was causing problems on startup. After fixing that, she mentioned "mackeeper", some apple 'system cleaner' or whatever the gently caress. Since all of my experience with a computer is on a PC, this set off alarms in my head because it sounded suspiciously like one of the billions of garbage malware scam softwares that you can find everywhere.

After doing some research, I haven't made any headway into whether or not I should just remove it or not. She seems to appreciate it even if its a placebo but ultimately I'm more concerned about whether or not it's actually harmful or perhaps part of the cause of her problems when she came to me in the first place.

Searching SA gets me a single result about someone complaining about a bad ad on SA that was unrelated to the program itself.

Should I remove it or just leave it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Remove it. Waste of $40.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Experto Crede posted:

It's called Finder being a piece of poo poo. Get used to it, my friend :smith:
poo poo, thanks. The thing I don't understand is why. Now if I used the big monitor as my only screen, or as my "main" screen, I could understand the confusion. But I literally just want this to be the same all the time, and macbook's like "Hey, do you like your bigger icons and how I jumbled them all together in a pile like this?"

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

What's the best free app to transfer music from iPhone 4S to the Mac? (is that even still possible? I haven't done it in years)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mistermojo posted:

What's the best free app to transfer music from iPhone 4S to the Mac? (is that even still possible? I haven't done it in years)

iPhone/iPad/iPod questions go here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=192

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Do you guys have any recommendations for a program that can read/write onto NTFS file formats? I have this external HDD I want to use.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lyer posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for a program that can read/write onto NTFS file formats? I have this external HDD I want to use.

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

Looks likey they don't support Lion, not sure if that means it doesn't work though.

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!
What's the best portage software these days? MacPorts, Fink? It's been a while since I got a new Mac and have been using MacPorts forever... anything better out there?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

jt posted:

What's the best portage software these days? MacPorts, Fink? It's been a while since I got a new Mac and have been using MacPorts forever... anything better out there?

Homebrew because it's simple and runs without needing escalated privileges.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Tuxera NTFS has been good to me.

I've had weird issues in the past (albeit a few years ago now) with Paragon so I can't recommend that one.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

chutwig posted:

Seconding homebrew. It's also lighter weight because it attempts to use the built-in system versions of libraries when possible rather than compiling an entire parallel ecosystem.

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!

chutwig posted:

Thanks. Looks better than MacPorts.

More setup questions - Is there any way to get actual terminal emulation with proper ANSI characters in Terminal.app yet, or is using X11 the only way around this? The IRC client I use looks horrible when using Terminal.app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Try an alternative Terminal? Maybe iTerm 2? It might fix some unmentioned grievances as well.