Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

mmm11105 posted:

Any one have suggestions for ISP's in Niagara (spec. Fonthill). Currently on a small local DSL provider (Vaxxine), who prices are great but speed and service leave much to be desired.

Can't get teksavvy as I have Cogeco lines, not Rogers.

Can you get Teksavvy 16 or 25 mbps DSL over there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

mmm11105 posted:

Any one have suggestions for ISP's in Niagara (spec. Fonthill). Currently on a small local DSL provider (Vaxxine), who prices are great but speed and service leave much to be desired.

Can't get teksavvy as I have Cogeco lines, not Rogers.

Start.ca resells Cogeco and has a good reputation so far, you can find more info at the dslreports forums. I'm going to switch myself soon, the Cogeco starter business package is alright but the upstream is awful and its like $20 more than the equivalent Start package for me. They don't seem to have an unlimited package in the higher speed tiers but 300GB is plenty for us. The disadvantage is all of the start up fees (Modem, install, etc) could run like $100-200.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

EngineerJoe posted:

Can you get Teksavvy 16 or 25 mbps DSL over there?

Nope, the bell equipment around here is so old the max DSL I can get is 6mbps

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Lone Rogue posted:

It's too bad because it used to be top notch. It was difficult for me to find legitimate complaints online and the few I found here I ended up assisting the guy with it and getting everything straightened out.

We used to have customer service numbers that were loving unreal (89-91%) but I guess things have fallen apart ever since they decided to hire two people who worked at an insurance firm to run the call centre.
Why the gently caress does that sort of thing keep happening. It's ubiquitous and always fucks over the company because the new hires haven't the foggiest idea what the gently caress to do and are too arrogant to sit down and learn.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Nomenklatura posted:

Why the gently caress does that sort of thing keep happening. It's ubiquitous and always fucks over the company because the new hires haven't the foggiest idea what the gently caress to do and are too arrogant to sit down and learn.

Yeah, the guy came in with his, "big ideas" and telling a company hitting their greatest growth numbers that, "you are running things wrong and you'll be shut down in six months if we don't change". His big idea was to start paying attention to call statistics and publicly list everyone's numbers so we could have friendly competition.

In other words, people went from trying to satisfy customers during the call to ensuring that their call met the average call time or else they would drop on their stats.

HURRAY FOR BUSINESS ACUMEN!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lone Rogue posted:

Yeah, the guy came in with his, "big ideas" and telling a company hitting their greatest growth numbers that, "you are running things wrong and you'll be shut down in six months if we don't change". His big idea was to start paying attention to call statistics and publicly list everyone's numbers so we could have friendly competition.

In other words, people went from trying to satisfy customers during the call to ensuring that their call met the average call time or else they would drop on their stats.

Bell/Rogers/Telus/Shaw mole- to sabotage the business. :tinfoil:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They were just doing what was needed to be a proper, reputable ISP. You know, like Telus, Shaw, Rogers, and Bell. :smith:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Argas posted:

They were just doing what was needed to be a proper, reputable ISP. You know, like Telus, Shaw, Rogers, and Bell. :smith:

I don't know what has changed since I left in January other than Rocky eventually came back despite splitting his time between three different companies and the new location. I have great respect for Rocky and feel that if he was full time with the company, a majority of the problems they've dealt with in the past year wouldn't exist.

There were some changes that were necessary (the pricing changes was due to the CRTC hearing that the fool running OpenMedia.ca claimed was a win for Canadians) but the execution of them were completely botched. Any momentum the company once had is close to gone and it's frustrating because you can't find something more Canadian with the best intentions in mind.

It sometimes gets me :eng99: talking about TSI because friends still work there but I also still use the service (paying for my mother's Internet).

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

(the pricing changes was due to the CRTC hearing that the fool running OpenMedia.ca claimed was a win for Canadians)

Do you have more details on this? I was under the impression that it was quite a bit better than UBB, but still not going nearly far enough (although considering this is the CRTC that we're talking about, a decision that just isn't completely pandering to the telecoms seems like a win).

I was following OpenMedia.ca at the time of the hearings, so I'm prepared to be disillusioned.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

thexerox123 posted:

Do you have more details on this? I was under the impression that it was quite a bit better than UBB, but still not going nearly far enough (although considering this is the CRTC that we're talking about, a decision that just isn't completely pandering to the telecoms seems like a win).

I was following OpenMedia.ca at the time of the hearings, so I'm prepared to be disillusioned.

It's been a while but UBB was pretty much a dead concept when they made the decision. At least in the original form. Bell/Rogers wanted something that was basically re-worded UBB that was just a license to re-coup building costs, Teksavvy/TPIA's wanted 95th percentile and MTS Allstream, considered the "neutral" wanted what we have today. The CRTC went with the "neutral" choice ignoring the fact MTS Allstream basically has zero stakes in this fight since they pretty much run Internet in one province and it in turn hosed everyone in the rear end. hosed the TPIAs and it made Bell and Rogers top people decide it was time to increase the pricing for everyone, including wholesale.

The only good we got out of it was peak hours.

My details might be rough but that was the gist from what I recall. Teksavvy immediately came out saying the decision was still bad and OpenMedia was happy with it. When people said they shouldn't the response was basically, "Oh, well it could be worse!"

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Lone Rogue posted:

It's been a while but UBB was pretty much a dead concept when they made the decision. At least in the original form. Bell/Rogers wanted something that was basically re-worded UBB that was just a license to re-coup building costs, Teksavvy/TPIA's wanted 95th percentile and MTS Allstream, considered the "neutral" wanted what we have today. The CRTC went with the "neutral" choice ignoring the fact MTS Allstream basically has zero stakes in this fight since they pretty much run Internet in one province and it in turn hosed everyone in the rear end. hosed the TPIAs and it made Bell and Rogers top people decide it was time to increase the pricing for everyone, including wholesale.

The only good we got out of it was peak hours.

My details might be rough but that was the gist from what I recall. Teksavvy immediately came out saying the decision was still bad and OpenMedia was happy with it. When people said they shouldn't the response was basically, "Oh, well it could be worse!"

The only good that came out of it was shaw and telus saying can we be exempted from these rules we are okay with what we have now.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sprawl posted:

The only good that came out of it was shaw and telus saying can we be exempted from these rules we are okay with what we have now.

True, the only prices that dropped for Teksavvy was cable, especially our Quebec cable with Videotron.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Apparently Shaw isn't making enough money to afford a proper gas-based fire suppression system. :allears:

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Lone Rogue posted:

Ahahah so basically TekSavvy is The Wire and you're all police commanders dealing with juked stats.

Man, there ain't nothing like arrogant quants who think that a halfassed set of statistical variables give them Godlike Insight.

Lone Rogue posted:

I don't know what has changed since I left in January other than Rocky eventually came back despite splitting his time between three different companies and the new location. I have great respect for Rocky and feel that if he was full time with the company, a majority of the problems they've dealt with in the past year wouldn't exist.
So the founder who made the company gets distracted and other people who don't get it move in and screw things up.

Amazing. This would get rejected by any producer in Hollywood as being WAY too cliched.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Nomenklatura posted:

Ahahah so basically TekSavvy is The Wire and you're all police commanders dealing with juked stats.

Man, there ain't nothing like arrogant quants who think that a halfassed set of statistical variables give them Godlike Insight.

Pretty much.

These are also the geniuses who say we're losing money to layoff like 35 per cent of the call centre before moving to the new building when we're just rolling out the new pricing. They got so many calls that the Help line *AND* the supervisors were taking calls and still the lines were backed up by several hours.

I'm sure they saved a lot of money with all of the DSL and Cable cancellations they had.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Now that I have a Visa debit card from my bank (been using a lovely Money Mart Visa because I'm poor), what can ya'll tell me, about how easy/hard it's been; switching from loving Rogers™, to TekSavvy?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
At the moment actually making the switch will either be smooth sailing or a horrible pain in the rear end depending on a combination of Teksavvy or Rogers or both possibly loving something up. Once you're setup the service is top notch.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Alright, I'm on Rogers cable and the past day and a half now my internet has been d/c'ing for a split second at hourly intervals quite consistently. As in, 3:19pm, 4:19pm, 5:19pm etc. etc.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm out in north Oshawa.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
London here, haven't noticed anything like that at all.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Wirth1000 posted:

Alright, I'm on Rogers cable and the past day and a half now my internet has been d/c'ing for a split second at hourly intervals quite consistently. As in, 3:19pm, 4:19pm, 5:19pm etc. etc.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm out in north Oshawa.

I used to get that but every half hour. It disappeared when I moved so I assumed it was something upstream at the old location.

Can you check your DHCP lease time from Rogers? They've been known to reduce it to an hour when they're doing work in the area. That might be causing trouble.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

8ender posted:

I used to get that but every half hour. It disappeared when I moved so I assumed it was something upstream at the old location.

Can you check your DHCP lease time from Rogers? They've been known to reduce it to an hour when they're doing work in the area. That might be causing trouble.

It's definitely the DHCP release/renewal happening every 60 minutes. It was happening at every hour + 19min but I manually renewed it at 1:00pm and now it just happened at 2:00pm. This is the first time this has happened in the 5 years I've been living here and now into the 3rd day it's still doing this ughh

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Apparently Rogers is trying to claim that not allowing them to make false/untested claims about the performance of their products is infringing their right to free expression :qq:

quote:

In the first of its kind in Canada, Rogers will ask the Ontario Superior Court to strike down a key provision in the federal law requiring companies to have “adequate and proper” tests of a product’s performance before making performance claims in advertisements. Rogers says this testing requirement violates its right to freedom of expression enshrined in Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

The telecom giant will also argue the hefty financial penalties that the Competition Bureau can slap on a company for making a false or misleading claim are unconstitutional because a $10-million administrative penalty is in effect a criminal fine, yet the process does not afford the company the safeguards of the criminal law process guaranteed in the Charter.

I can't get over how blatantly reprehensible this is. And here I was, thinking Bell was the worst.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

thexerox123 posted:

Apparently Rogers is trying to claim that not allowing them to make false/untested claims about the performance of their products is infringing their right to free expression :qq:

I can't get over how blatantly reprehensible this is. And here I was, thinking Bell was the worst.

Buying half a hockey team is expensive. Gotta get that money back somehow.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Unrelated, but I was just looking for an avenue to complain to Rogers about it, and apparently they have a dedicated Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine? What on Earth? Why? I guess they really DON'T have a problem with untested claims, lol

Edit: And she happens to have the last name Rogers.... I would hope she's just inherited a spot on the board, and isn't actually in charge of any naturopathy for the company.

...not that either option sounds good.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 7, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rogers: Using our internet will make your dick six inches longer.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Does anybody have experience with Bell/Alliat FiberOp? How are speeds? How are the monthly costs and how was the hookup?

Martytoof posted:

Rogers: Using our internet will make your dick six inches longer.

I thought service with them just made your rear end in a top hat wider.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I like the that they're going to fight to be able to make misleading or false claims, or at least be able to defend them in court. I see they have their priorities straight.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I like the that they're going to fight to be able to make misleading or false claims, or at least be able to defend them in court. I see they have their priorities straight.

This article includes Rogers' PR spin on it:

quote:

Rogers responded by saying its case is actually much more narrow. “We’re committed to truth in advertising and support legislation that prevents false claims and protects consumers, including the Competition Act. We’re not challenging that fundamental principle. We’re raising two specific, narrow concerns with the act as it now stands,” spokeswoman Patricia Trott told Postmedia.

But then...

quote:

The Competition Bureau levied the $10-million fine in November, 2010, after finding Rogers’ Chatr wireless brand had engaged in “misleading advertising” with its claims that Chatr users experience "fewer dropped calls than new wireless carriers" and have "no worries about dropped calls".

After reviewing technical data, the bureau concluded that “there is no discernible difference in dropped call rates between Rogers/Chatr and new entrants.”

The Bureau also ordered Rogers to “pay restitution to affected customers.

”Rogers will argue in front of the court that the requirement that companies run performance tests before making claims about performance in its advertising violates its Charter rights to free expression, reported Sarah Schmidt at Postmedia.

Uh-huh. Just narrow enough to be able to continue to make claims that are complete bullshit like they've been proven to be doing and not pay any restitution to customers. Sounds like Rogers has a real commitment to truth in advertising.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Canada's reliable network.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think this came up before. Isn't Rogers beef not that you're supposed to be able to lie to your advertising audience, but that the standard of proof for Comp Bureau is less rigorous than a civil trial and there's no avenues for appeal? I'm not on their side regardless but I thought it was more how they think that process is extra-judicial or something like that.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

I think this came up before. Isn't Rogers beef not that you're supposed to be able to lie to your advertising audience, but that the standard of proof for Comp Bureau is less rigorous than a civil trial and there's no avenues for appeal? I'm not on their side regardless but I thought it was more how they think that process is extra-judicial or something like that.

I think that's what the second part (about the hefty fines) is arguing, but not the part regarding the testing requirement, as far as I can see.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
It took me 4 calls in total so far to get moving/speed change done with teksavvy. They've credited my account for the next billing cycle, but somehow I doubt they're going to actually credit me.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Has anyone used or heard of sentex.ca ?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Has anyone used or heard of sentex.ca ?

My parents have been using them for upwards of a decade now. Customer support is good. Actual service isn't all that great compared to something like TSI cable, but they're in a rural area where all of the alternatives are much worse.

If you're in an urban area you can probably do much better for a similar price. If you're in Fergus or something they may be your best bet, though.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

My parents have been using them for upwards of a decade now. Customer support is good. Actual service isn't all that great compared to something like TSI cable, but they're in a rural area where all of the alternatives are much worse.

If you're in an urban area you can probably do much better for a similar price. If you're in Fergus or something they may be your best bet, though.

Thanks. I'm in the same city as their home office and I currently use TekSavvy DSL. I'm hesitant to switch over to TSI cable because of all the issues they've had.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why is it so difficult to find more options for business internet that just cable/dsl resellers?

If anybody knows any ISPs in the Toronto/North York area that do business connectivity with symmetric speeds in the 20 to 50mbit range, please do tell me. They don't seem to be as easy to find as I would have thought.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

EoRaptor posted:

Why is it so difficult to find more options for business internet that just cable/dsl resellers?

If anybody knows any ISPs in the Toronto/North York area that do business connectivity with symmetric speeds in the 20 to 50mbit range, please do tell me. They don't seem to be as easy to find as I would have thought.

I think your options are limited to paying through the nose for some insane business fiber connection, or paying less but still a premium for doing MLPPP from someone, and even then it wouldn't be symmetrical.

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

This is literally better than my home internet connection, too bad it's limited to 6GB/month.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I just ordered teksavvy. should I schedule my shaw cancellation for the date of my appointment, or the day before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ZShakespeare posted:

I just ordered teksavvy. should I schedule my shaw cancellation for the date of my appointment, or the day before?

If TekSavvy DSL, have some crossover.