Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Siroc posted:

It makes the map available without need for a data connection. I was wondering if that will extend to Navigator and the voice improvements in JB.

I tried it out, just for you.

Cached my whole city, but with wifi off it just spins on "Getting driving directions." BUT if I started navigation with a data connection, but turned it off when the route displayed, It worked. Leaving the path just zoomed out the map and said "data connection lost", but as soon as I got back on the path, it jumped right back, including voice directions. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is how it works on non-JB devices as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
:tipshat:

Apparently it does work with non-JB devices. I had never shut data off after I loaded Nav. It's sort of disappointing that it can't act like a stand-alone GPS yet, but that's not the only reason I am getting the 7. Thank you very much for your experiment!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Siroc posted:

:tipshat:

Apparently it does work with non-JB devices. I had never shut data off after I loaded Nav. It's sort of disappointing that it can't act like a stand-alone GPS yet, but that's not the only reason I am getting the 7. Thank you very much for your experiment!

You can make map areas available offline if you wish. I made all of Greater Vancouver, BC and Bellingham, WA available offline in one 84mb download. Alternatively, there's CoPilot Live which I used before...

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is TechInsights not reliable? I've actually not heard of them before.

Granted, I've never heard of isuppli either.

From what I can tell, Android Community added up the parts that TechInsights listed. Is that what isuppli would do?
I've never heard of TechInsights either, but I can say isuppli is pretty well known and not just some random blog. My company pays them a few dozen grand a year for access to their marketing and technical info, which tends to be about as reliable as marketing and cost analysis info can be. Now that's not to say they're perfect but they do actually tend to try to explain how they come to their conclusions and provide some detail and margin of error estimates.

isuppli would break down the component costs (using reasonable and supportable estimates for the cost of each component) rather than just dropping an obviously-incomplete list of "major components" then pull some random total price out of nowhere. Note that TechInsights doesn't mention a total price at all, and androidcommunity.com doesn't mention where the total price comes from or acknowledge that their "source" doesn't mention a price. It's just weird even by speculative teardown standards.

Here's an example isuppli teardown and BOM analysis:
http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/Nokia-900-Carries-Bill-of-Materials-of-$209.aspx
(had to disable url parsing because SA can't handle the $ in the link)

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I tried caching Google maps but it doesn't work worth a poo poo for me, and I didn't even bother. Besides I have been using the gps app by Sygic and its pretty fantastic, I would highly recommend it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm trying to cache 84megs of Google Maps currently and the download is so slow, you'd think I'm on dial-up. What's this all about?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How much would a TF101 Transformer with keyboard dock for these days? I am considering unloading mine.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

the posted:

How much would a TF101 Transformer with keyboard dock for these days? I am considering unloading mine.

Sold mine prior to Google I/O for $400 on Kijiji, wasn't expecting that much but I did. I doubt you'll see that much now with all the new tablets coming out.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
So, I have a Kindle Fire, and I like it quite well as a reader, and the kids get a fair amount of use out of it playing phone games, but beyond playing with it for 10 minutes when I first got it, I have no use for watching movies on it, or dealing with the miserable photo-software.

However, the kids are going up the cabin in a couple weeks, and will be taking my fire with them. Is the Nexus 7 enough less limited to be interesting and useful as more than a reader, or will I be paying 250$ for another e-reader because none of the apps are very good or useful (like on the KF).

Basically, should I pick up another stripped down e-reader, for doing what I mostly do, which is e-read, or should I grab a nexus 7, or should I wait a few months and see what the rest of the 7" field looks like? Are there a bunch of apps on a 7" tablet that are awesome and useful that put it ahead of a 99$ e-reader in useability I'm not aware of, if I don't plan to watch movies on a 7" screen?

What is good android reader software?

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 8, 2012

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I use Aldiko Reader. Also, EZPdf is a good for those as well.

I just got off the phone with the Google Play customer service. I decided to cancel my order and just buy it in stores on my vacation. When I called Friday the guy said they could cancel my order no problem, just call back in and request it whenever. I called just now, and the guy said that it's too late now and the system is not letting him cancel my order. The only way to cancel would be to call UPS and reject the package and have it returned. I asked him if that meant it was shipping soon, and he said he has no idea, but they could only say "it will ship sometime mid-July and that it should arrive by the end of July." However, his system responding the way it did indicates that maybe they are already shipping. Exciting!

I'd hate work at the Nexus call center. They must be swamped with sperg lords calling in with questions on the GNex ban, and people asking them when the 7 will ship.

Rumbaar
Nov 21, 2011
REJECTED FROM:
-GOONWAFFE? ☑
-GROON? ☑

IGNORE POSTS? ☑

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Just an FYI, Google and ASUS are on record saying they can't reproduce the ghosting issue. I've also only seen a couple complaints about it, so some think it's probably just an issue with a limited number of I/O devices, which are pre-production units. Anything is possible though, so waiting isn't a bad approach. That said, I preorded mine anyway.
Thanks for that, yeah I read they thought it might just be a pre-production issue.

But that being said, the fact Australia doesn't get Music, Magazine and most of the localization features. I'll hold off on it too. Music I can 'trick' to allowing me to use, but others will be more effort. If at all. It's a shame we can't have all the bells and whistles too.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Slo-Tek posted:

Basically, should I pick up another stripped down e-reader, for doing what I mostly do, which is e-read, or should I grab a nexus 7, or should I wait a few months and see what the rest of the 7" field looks like? Are there a bunch of apps on a 7" tablet that are awesome and useful that put it ahead of a 99$ e-reader in useability I'm not aware of, if I don't plan to watch movies on a 7" screen?

Honestly I think the N7 and the KF are both very much upgrades to e-Ink based eReaders like the Kindle or the Sony Reader. That said, you may be happier with the latter two options if all you do is read. You mentioned you have more than one kid, some peace and quiet might be had if they both had tablets which could be loaded up with movies etc.

Beyond that, the main review differences seem to be that the N7 is generally superior. The main things that I got it for were offline navigation from Google Maps, Google Now, Email, Webbrowsing and music. All things that can be done by other devices I give you, but I'm happy to put that in Google's hands

Fact is, I sold a Sony Reader to buy the N7 as I don't need 2 reading devices, and can put eReader/Kindle apps on the N7 for when I do.

In terms of tablet apps, the N7 is basically lighting a fire under the development community to make more tablet apps. If you bought it now, you would wait, but be able to get the apps as they come out over the next few months.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Heners_UK posted:

In terms of tablet apps, the N7 is basically lighting a fire under the development community to make more tablet apps.
How so? Isn't the consensus that tablet-specific apps are unnecessary and even undesirable, since android just scales up phone apps so well, effectively making them universal and avoiding the need to pay for the same app twice (one for phone one for tablet?) Didn't some google exec flat out say as much? Where are you hearing about lots of developers getting into making tablet-customized apps?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

randyest posted:

How so? Isn't the consensus that tablet-specific apps are unnecessary and even undesirable, since android just scales up phone apps so well, effectively making them universal and avoiding the need to pay for the same app twice (one for phone one for tablet?) Didn't some google exec flat out say as much? Where are you hearing about lots of developers getting into making tablet-customized apps?

Perhaps then I should have used the term tablet-suitable apps (which could be phone apps that scale up to the larger interface well). Looking at The Verge's review, a good example of an existing app which does this is Google+, but one which us a phone app that hasn't had much tablet thought is Twitter...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Slo-tek, if you do any amount of reading e-books I recommend getting a kindle. That said, the N7 is basically a fully featured android device with complete access to the real market, it should be as good a 7"device as you can get. If you want to watch movies you may feel you're losing out on screen size though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

randyest posted:

Android apps can have a tablet and phone version in the same apk, this is what is desirable. No one is saying scaled phone apps are the way to go , although I can see how they'd be less offensive at 7" than 10

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Super dumb question, but can ghosting lead to screen burn-in? Got a ton of ghosting on my Galaxy Nexus, so I'm a little wary about the Nexus 7 reports.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Heners_UK posted:

Perhaps then I should have used the term tablet-suitable apps (which could be phone apps that scale up to the larger interface well). Looking at The Verge's review, a good example of an existing app which does this is Google+, but one which us a phone app that hasn't had much tablet thought is Twitter...
I thought android handled that for developers automatically due to the scaling architecture? Is that not the case and google had to do special things to make G+ work well on a tablet?

dissss posted:

Android apps can have a tablet and phone version in the same apk, this is what is desirable. No one is saying scaled phone apps are the way to go , although I can see how they'd be less offensive at 7" than 10
OK so something like a universal app where devs make two versions (or I guess maybe even more than two?) and package them together? That makes more sense, but I think some people are saying that scaling is the way to go.

Rastor posted:

Android isn't limited to only 2 (+2) resolutions; it scales from tiny 2" QVGA screens all the way to giant Television displays.
Didn't Matias Duarte say something similar? Anandtech is down right now so I can't re-read the page I remember seeing that mentioned.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's less "2 apps" & more like 2 layouts.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

randyest posted:

I thought android handled that for developers automatically due to the scaling architecture? Is that not the case and google had to do special things to make G+ work well on a tablet?
The layout on a tablet has the same elements as on a phone, but they are arranged in such a way that it works better on that screen size. Look at the Awful app for a good example, on a tablet you get a sidebar with forums and threads and a main view with the current thread. On a phone you get the same things but they are in swipe panels.

One APK, one app, but multiple layouts that each suit the specific device size/DPI.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

randyest posted:

It handles it automatically in the sense of it's rare for an app to have black borders around it or something like that.

Just like with web pages, there are some designers who account for different display sizes, and others don't bother, leaving you with a web page or app that fully works, but doesn't take any particular advantage of a given screen size.

The G+ app designers only accounted for a phone layout in the first version of their app, but more recently introduced a layout which adapts well to tablets.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Super dumb question, but can ghosting lead to screen burn-in? Got a ton of ghosting on my Galaxy Nexus, so I'm a little wary about the Nexus 7 reports.

The Gnex and Nexus 7 use two totally different display techs. The Nexus 7 may have retention when transitioning from bright to dark, but it will wash away. The Gnex could burn in permanently if you left a super bright item on a dark screen since the pixels themselves are illuminating, instead of having a backlight shine through them. I notice some faint ghosting in certain contrasts on the Gnex, and image retention when quickly switching from light to dark, but it all goes away.

In unrelated consumerist whore news, since my toddler spit water on my xoom and fried the motherboard's display adapter, looks like I am in for a Nexus 7. Hope they ship out on the 12th like that one source suggested.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

The Gnex and Nexus 7 use two totally different display techs. The Nexus 7 may have retention when transitioning from bright to dark, but it will wash away. The Gnex could burn in permanently if you left a super bright item on a dark screen since the pixels themselves are illuminating, instead of having a backlight shine through them. I notice some faint ghosting in certain contrasts on the Gnex, and image retention when quickly switching from light to dark, but it all goes away.

In unrelated consumerist whore news, since my toddler spit water on my xoom and fried the motherboard's display adapter, looks like I am in for a Nexus 7. Hope they ship out on the 12th like that one source suggested.

They ship no earlier than the 13th.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Balderpoop, but so be it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

They ship no earlier than the 13th.

Your source being that Staples product page?

revolther
May 27, 2008

Slo-Tek posted:

So, I have a Kindle Fire, and I like it quite well as a reader, and the kids get a fair amount of use out of it playing phone games, but beyond playing with it for 10 minutes when I first got it, I have no use for watching movies on it, or dealing with the miserable photo-software.

However, the kids are going up the cabin in a couple weeks, and will be taking my fire with them. Is the Nexus 7 enough less limited to be interesting and useful as more than a reader, or will I be paying 250$ for another e-reader because none of the apps are very good or useful (like on the KF).

What is good android reader software?

The nexus 7 will be a full tablet experience, in no way limited by its size or software, every app on the market will run as intended with minor if any compatibility issues. It has everything hardware wise any app could request access to except an sdcard to read/write from which some apps want but is undoubtedly handled via internal memory partitions. The fire was an ereader with apps, the nook color/tablet was an ereader with apps. The nexus 7 is a tablet like the transformer or xoom, without any feature bloat to hit the price point previous ereader with apps were making GBS threads all over in hopes that future tablets won't be seen as luxury items on an untested platform in comparison to ipads which seem expensive but safe.

Aldiko and EZ-pdf as folks have said are both great, another ereader may be right for you, I just don't want you walking away thinking the nexus 7 is going to be another cheapy compromise.

Also it's "speculative" of me, but not really, and I'd hang my hat on it.

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

Turnquiet posted:

I just cracked my Xoom screen so Nexus 7 for me too!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Your source being that Staples product page?

That and I called them to double-check, yes.

I'll probably call GameSpot later but since they're selling in-store, they most likely have them in stock by now like with other preorder items.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are any retailers selling the 8gb Nexus 7 model or do I have to go through Google for that one?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

Are any retailers selling the 8gb Nexus 7 model or do I have to go through Google for that one?

That's a Play Store exclusive.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tunga posted:

That's a Play Store exclusive.
Oh, ok. Thanks bud. Saves me the effort for searching for something that isn't there.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jimbot posted:

I ordered a Nexus 7 8GB model, but I immediately regret not getting the 16GB version. I can't cancel the order, though. Google will only allow me to get it and return it, but I'll have to pay return shipping. I'm going to see how much that will cost me, but really if there's a goon that for some reason missed the pre-order (if they stop preorders or there's an 8GB model shortage, I'll pass it along for what I paid for it, and just spend the money shipping it to a goon.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Really, return shipping by USPS will be a few bucks. Order a 16GB now and take the hit.

BTW, you might want to mention your proposal in SA Mart?

EDIT: And let me be clear: ORDER THE 16GB MODEL FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ThermoPhysical posted:

That and I called them to double-check, yes.

I'll probably call GameSpot later but since they're selling in-store, they most likely have them in stock by now like with other preorder items.

I'm just wondering if Google is going to start shipping their pre-orders before Staple's availability.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Heners_UK posted:

Really, return shipping by USPS will be a few bucks. Order a 16GB now and take the hit.

BTW, you might want to mention your proposal in SA Mart?

EDIT: And let me be clear: ORDER THE 16GB MODEL FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

The problem is sort of more complex, I'm going away for two weeks starting next weekend. I have to reject the package and have UPS return it, however, to do so, I must be here when it arrives. I won't be there, so the package will be sitting on my door step for possible two weeks.

I called Google and they were helpful, but not sure what to do. I'll call again tomorrow and see what I can do.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

so the package will be sitting on my door step for possible two weeks.

It most definitely will not be there after two weeks.

By the way, PM me your address, I want to send you some stuff.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm just wondering if Google is going to start shipping their pre-orders before Staple's availability.

If they're like GameStop and are selling them in-store, they probably have them in-stock at the store until the 13th...but then again, I don't know about their online stock like that.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I called Google and they were helpful, but not sure what to do. I'll call again tomorrow and see what I can do.

You can actually call Google? How did you even find a number?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can actually call Google? How did you even find a number?

It's right in the order email.

quote:

Questions? Contact Google Play or call 1-855-83-NEXUS (1-855-836-3987).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's right in the order email.

Oh. I actually thought you couldn't call them for some reason.

Good to know you can. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm eyeballing the TF300 for a comic book reader because my iPad 1 is just too heavy. Is it still considered the best of the bunch for 10.1" tablets under $500? Does anyone know if Jellybean will come somewhat quickly to it?