Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009
Does anyone have a link to that spinoff manga that has Combattler VI? (maybe it was Voltes VI)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I am away from home and thus am posting from a laptop that lacks a soundcard. Could someone with sound confirm if the music to this video is either a.) awesome, and/or b.) righteous? Thank you in advance.

Guyver posted:

You could cut the first 26 episodes into a two hour movie easy and if it looked anything like that it would be great.

Sure, a single two hour movie movie would be great, but a set of seven half-hour OAVs would be kaiser even better!
If we're going to make a wish, then let's wish for the stars. :unsmith:

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Oh my god I love practically everything about this video and wish it were a full series :allears:

Schwarzwald posted:

I am away from home and thus am posting from a laptop that lacks a soundcard. Could someone with sound confirm if the music to this video is either a.) awesome, and/or b.) righteous? Thank you in advance.

After the first ten seconds I scrambled off to find my earphones and I still have not wiped the giant stupid grin off my face.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

It is a pretty rockin' remix of the the original theme so yeah it is awesome.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Looks like theres more with some different scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY2V7hX-WJw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU_n7hkDWf4

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Thats some maccross level missle spam, but so much more righteous. Why do pachinko machines rule so much?

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Well drat those pachinko animations are amazing. Even though I'm sure it won't do well a Combattler V reboot like that would be awesome.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Thats some maccross level missle spam, but so much more righteous. Why do pachinko machines rule so much?

Since pachinko is such a huge industry over in Japan there's a lot of money flowing so the studios doing the animation for these things get a pretty nice budget for those shorts. It's certainly a lot safer than making a new anime.

And speaking of Macross missiles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc6c7vTlBG4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2QiH6wEUvs

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Schwarzwald posted:

It is so righteous it actually delivered me from sin.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Wonderful Combattler videos---in a better world there would be one for the entire Romance trilogy and then full fledged remakes of all of them, even if I'm still waiting for the slow burn completion of Daimos.

Really, the only "missing" thing for me, even though I guess it would've been too much to include and providing I've not got my old memories jumbled is "The Hand-to-Hand Fight" that happened right near the end of the series with one of the Generals whose precise name escapes me at the moment---that was so unusually well animated for the time that it blew me away.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Snot Man posted:

Oh holy crap I take back everything bad I've ever said about Combattler V. It turns out I'm easily swayed by good animation quality and modern-sounding music! I was the bad guy all along! :negative:

High five horrible mecha-fan buddy! :unsmith:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
In a just world, Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen did so well that modern remakes of classic super robot shows done in a similar manner become a popular thing, and this happen regularly.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Mercury Crusader posted:

In a just world, Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen did so well that modern remakes of classic super robot shows done in a similar manner become a popular thing, and this happen regularly.
I want to live in that world... :negative:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I like how all of it is about the Garuda arc, Janella's arc wasn't that popular if these videos and SRW's Combattler appearances are anything to go by.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mercury Crusader posted:

Curse this rotten world. :negative:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Super Robot Thread: Good things aren't appreciated anymore

But in all seriousness, I would give up an organ or two if it meant a Great Mazinger Z Hen would be made.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I hope that they somehow allow SRW Z3 to have a custom Shin Great storyline and mechs.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

KoB posted:

I hope that they somehow allow SRW Z3 to have a custom Shin Great storyline and mechs.

As long as it is still for PSP or Vita, I'm happy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

KoB posted:

Does anyone have a link to that spinoff manga that has Combattler VI? (maybe it was Voltes VI)

I have it. What's the best file sharing website these days?
Oh, and it's Combattler VI, and Voltes VII. I think Daimos shows up, too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mediafire's still about as good as it gets, even if they did add an intermittent captcha.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B008KIWI3Q

Holy poo poo.

I'd be surprised if this got a NA release considering the current condition of Media Blasters. I guess it's not impossible but I'm not counting on it :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god, Blu-Ray Giant Robo. :fap:

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

I have it. What's the best file sharing website these days?
Oh, and it's Combattler VI, and Voltes VII. I think Daimos shows up, too.

Would that be pronounced Combattler Vee-Eye? (or Bui-Ai, if you will)

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Schwarzwald posted:

Instead of stop-motion I was thinking it could be done in Gerry Anderson style supermechanation. You could even get Brian May to do the theme song.
:eng101: That wasn't actually Brian May...it just sounded a hell of a lot like him. It was Paul Bliss from The Moody Blues.

Now the cover version, on the other hand, was Brian May & friends (Roger Taylor, Eddie Van Halen, REO Speedwagon's drummer and a couple of session musicians): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7GFU5ncKhU

Not many Go Nagai series can claim that sort of thing. :v:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
That's amazing! How is this the first time I've ever heard of Star Fleet / X-Bomber?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SpikeMcclane posted:

That's amazing! How is this the first time I've ever heard of Star Fleet / X-Bomber?

You weren't a British kid in the early 80's? :v:

Hadn't realised it was '82 when it was on TV here, I'm amazed I can actually remember watching it, since I was all of maybe 3 then.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dis astranagant posted:

Mediafire's still about as good as it gets, even if they did add an intermittent captcha.

Are there any I don't have to sign up for?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not really. Pretty sure all the remotely decent ones have sign ups or severely cripple anyone who doesn't sign up (Rapidshare only lets a few people download files from an unregistered uploaded, etc). And all the lovely ones make your sign up for ad related bullshit. Mediafire ain't gonna spam you or anything, half the time I forget I even have an account.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 14, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just started watching Gurren Lagann, is there any point to watching the movies afterwards or are they just the series smooched together?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Just started watching Gurren Lagann, is there any point to watching the movies afterwards or are they just the series smooched together?

The series make some plot changes, in particular fairly dramatic edits/additions to the final battles of both arcs.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I would personally recommend watching the last thirty or so minutes of the first movie and the entire second movie. The first movie really is, for the most part, just the first part of the series smashed together poorly.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah the movies mainly just redo the final boss fight and that's about it. No real major additions or changes in terms of character development or plot.

Hikarusa posted:

I would personally recommend watching the last thirty or so minutes of the first movie and the entire second movie. The first movie really is, for the most part, just the first part of the series smashed together poorly.
The opening of the first movie is also worth watching because I think it covers a bit of what happened with Lord Genome that isn't animated in the TV series, or maybe isn't quiet the same.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 15, 2012

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Sakurazuka posted:

Youtube the final fights of both of the movies after you've watched the series.

edit: Actually, no, scratch that. It might be worth watching the second movie completely for a few different reasons.

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 15, 2012

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
If you don't decide to watch the movies, at least look up the hacking scene. It's... something.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Snot Man posted:

Oh holy crap I take back everything bad I've ever said about Combattler V. It turns out I'm easily swayed by good animation quality and modern-sounding music! I was the bad guy all along! :negative:

I find funny how they don't really hide that it basically shoots giant cock missiles.

It beats the female miniboss by point-blanking her robot with a spray shot from it's giant cock missile. Yeah.

And Sakurazakura, you should watch the second movie at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just watched a giant robot piloting an even bigger robot (before combining with the moon), why the hell have I never seen Gurren Lagann before?

Thanks for the movie views, I'll most likely watch both, I can't see it being much of a chore even for the repeated parts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The second movie is far more ridiculous than anything in the series.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Sakurazuka posted:

I just watched a giant robot piloting an even bigger robot (before combining with the moon), why the hell have I never seen Gurren Lagann before?

Because the fanbase is Final Fantasy 7/Nintendo/Star Wars/Batman levels of intolerable, to the point where they claim it's the only good product in its entire genre?

TTGL is a really good show, though. I recommend you now watch Getter Robo Armageddon (again lol) if you haven't already seen it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getter Robo Armageddon isn't bad but the fanbase has honestly started overhyping it in response to Gurren-Lagann fans overhyping G-L, resulting in a chain reaction of people being gigantic assholes to one another.

Admittedly that sort of describes the internet as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Saotome lied Kamina died

• Locked thread