Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobzmuda
Jul 24, 2001

Tapedump posted:

But if you don't have AFS shares, XBMC works just fine. A JB'd ATV2 with XBMC is superb for a great deal of users (Mac concerns not withstanding).

I agree. But ATVFlash is also dead simple and highly integrated into the main menu, both key for me since my wife can't be fussed to learn something she thinks is more complicated than it needs to be.

Just something to keep in mind if you're in a similar situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
^Good point.

On a related note, one of my ATV2s running the latest iOS JB stopped working today.

It boots to the ATV menu, and it gets the internet feed so it shows the latest Top Movie lineup. The front light flashes when a remote command is sent (tried with four different remotes) but it won't allow me to actually navigate the menu, let alone select XBMC.

It responds to SSH and WinSCP. Any suggestions other than to restore and re-JB it?

Edit: Sorry, disregard. It just needed to re-pair the Apple remote and now all remotes, Harmonys included, work again.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 4, 2012

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I'm thinking about getting the Apple TV 3 or a WD TV to replace my old acer revo that's always had issues with HD content.

The main things I would like to do are stream my own video (normally mkvs), Netflix, Spotify, some YouTube. I know the vanilla Apple TV can't stream mkv, but hopefully a jailbreak for the 3 is around the corner, and I have the iPad for airplay. Also very important is an interface simple and aesthetically pleasing enough for my wife to use without issue.

My main questions are

1. How is the video/audio quality when streaming from the iPad? Is the image cropped? I really only need 720p for now (old 60" plasma). Alternatively I can convert my files as needed, but I'm hoping the jailbreak is inevitable, even if it won't be immediate.

2. Which is more flexible after jailbreaking, WD TV or the Apple TV?

I know there is no Spotify app, but I actually like the idea of controlling the tunes coming out of my nice speakers via my iPad without the fear of burn in on the TV.

Apologies if this should go somewhere else.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The Aphasian posted:

1. How is the video/audio quality when streaming from the iPad? Is the image cropped? I really only need 720p for now (old 60" plasma). Alternatively I can convert my files as needed, but I'm hoping the jailbreak is inevitable, even if it won't be immediate.
If you have an iPad you might not need a jailbreak (don't assume one is just around the corner, either - there may never be one) - just buy AirVideo on the iPad, then stream your MKVs from your computer, through your iPad, to the AppleTV. The image isn't cropped, it's just like playing something from within the aTV interface.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Akuma posted:

If you have an iPad you might not need a jailbreak (don't assume one is just around the corner, either - there may never be one) - just buy AirVideo on the iPad, then stream your MKVs from your computer, through your iPad, to the AppleTV. The image isn't cropped, it's just like playing something from within the aTV interface.
This is what I do and it works great. You can sleep the iPad when the movie starts too.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Good to know, thanks! Looks like I'm walking over to the Apple store on my lunch break. Futzing with the thing will give me an excuse to stay inside this weekend.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bobzmuda posted:

I agree. But ATVFlash is also dead simple and highly integrated into the main menu, both key for me since my wife can't be fussed to learn something she thinks is more complicated than it needs to be.

See, I love what ATVFlash does after reading up on it. While some people may want most customization out of their media player ala XBMC, I'm fine with Apple's default interface. It's also easy for my wife to use and understand.

With some changes in the pipeline with iOS6 and rumors speculating about changes to iTunes coming in the fall, I really hope they open up the AppleTV or at least allow Hulu to add an app to the homescreen. I'd buy multiple AppleTVs if they just allowed Hulu.
edit:

The Aphasian posted:

I'm thinking about getting the Apple TV 3 or a WD TV to replace my old acer revo that's always had issues with HD content.

The main things I would like to do are stream my own video (normally mkvs), Netflix, Spotify, some YouTube. I know the vanilla Apple TV can't stream mkv, but hopefully a jailbreak for the 3 is around the corner, and I have the iPad for airplay. Also very important is an interface simple and aesthetically pleasing enough for my wife to use without issue.

My main questions are

2. Which is more flexible after jailbreaking, WD TV or the Apple TV?

1) The video is really good. Airvideo lets you dial the quality settings but only up to 720p. They've said they plan to work out 1080p support with the new iPad but they've also said it's going to take a while. I've also found that even streaming 1080p videos via iTunes Home Sharing can be a bit iffy.

2) Honestly, maybe the WDTV only because it can do more formats natively. But Apple TV presents a better interface and offers more side benefits if you've got other apple products (airplay, mirroring, etc).

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 6, 2012

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Well I got one today and I cannot get it to see my home share no matter what I try. Home sharing works fine with my iPad 3. Turned it on and off on both with different combinations, restarted both, turned off IPv6, turned my firewall off completely. I even restored it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Aphasian posted:

Well I got one today and I cannot get it to see my home share no matter what I try. Home sharing works fine with my iPad 3. Turned it on and off on both with different combinations, restarted both, turned off IPv6, turned my firewall off completely. I even restored it.
I know you said you turned off the firewall (PC or MAC?) but I had to add ourbound rules for DAAS (5353 UDP) and Bonjour (3689 TCP) on my PC (and of course make sure iTunes was up and running OK) before my ATV could see it. Even with the firewall disabled it wouldn't work (but iphones and ipads would,) unless I was loving something else up. But anyway try that.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

randyest posted:

I know you said you turned off the firewall (PC or MAC?) but I had to add ourbound rules for DAAS (5353 UDP) and Bonjour (3689 TCP) on my PC (and of course make sure iTunes was up and running OK) before my ATV could see it. Even with the firewall disabled it wouldn't work (but iphones and ipads would,) unless I was loving something else up. But anyway try that.

I'm on a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Tried adding inbound and outbound rules for those ports, no dice.

iTunes is running and they both have the same apple ID.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Aphasian posted:

I'm on a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Tried adding inbound and outbound rules for those ports, no dice.

iTunes is running and they both have the same apple ID.
Latest iTunes (10.6.3.25)? Updated ATV OS? Does it show the name of your share at all and just can't connect? Or nothing to select?

Try turning off Homeshare in iTunes via Advanced then turn it back on so it asks for your password then turn on the ATV. Also try wireless versus wired on the ATV if that's an option for you. Router reset maybe?

It's not uncommon and the fixes seem all over the place judging from the apple support forums. The port thing did it for me and it's been perfect since.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

randyest posted:

Latest iTunes (10.6.3.25)? Updated ATV OS? Does it show the name of your share at all and just can't connect? Or nothing to select?

Try turning off Homeshare in iTunes via Advanced then turn it back on so it asks for your password then turn on the ATV. Also try wireless versus wired on the ATV if that's an option for you. Router reset maybe?

It's not uncommon and the fixes seem all over the place judging from the apple support forums. The port thing did it for me and it's been perfect since.

Latest everything. Turned off homeshare on both and back on on both, multiple restarts on both too.

FAKE EDIT: Disconnecting the ethernet cable fixed it. :wtf: I plugged it into the same router it's connected to wirelessly.

Many thanks for the help. I'm still considering returning it because this is seriously idiotic. We'll see how it goes.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Aphasian posted:

Latest everything. Turned off homeshare on both and back on on both, multiple restarts on both too.

FAKE EDIT: Disconnecting the ethernet cable fixed it. :wtf: I plugged it into the same router it's connected to wirelessly.

Many thanks for the help. I'm still considering returning it because this is seriously idiotic. We'll see how it goes.
No problem; glad you fixed it. Yeah it's weird for sure but Apple products have a history of hating certain routers. I bet you can plug it back in now and it'll be fine :iiam:

Give it a try for a while; it's pretty awesome for the size, power, and cost, especially if you have an ipad/ipod/iphone and can stream anything from a PC or even direct from a nas with AirPlayer or Oplayer. It's worth it for that and netflix alone for me. Airplaying music, youtubes, games, and streaming my NAS photos as screensaver / live picture frame are just a bonus. People into NBA/NHL/MLB love the poo poo out of that stuff too I hear.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Has Apple fixed or is there a known fix for the iOS Remote.app no longer connecting to Apple TVs? They updated the iOS app in around March, and it totally broke it. The only solution was to fish the old version out of your trash and downgrade, but I absent-mindedly upgraded again a few weeks ago, and it seems to be totally broken still.

Using iPhone 4 and iPad 3 with latest versions and using an Apple TV 2 with latest versions of everything. I use Remote.app to control bedroom computer iTunes every day but haven't been able to make it control Apple TV in a while.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

HolySwissCheese posted:

Has Apple fixed or is there a known fix for the iOS Remote.app no longer connecting to Apple TVs? They updated the iOS app in around March, and it totally broke it. The only solution was to fish the old version out of your trash and downgrade, but I absent-mindedly upgraded again a few weeks ago, and it seems to be totally broken still.

Using iPhone 4 and iPad 3 with latest versions and using an Apple TV 2 with latest versions of everything. I use Remote.app to control bedroom computer iTunes every day but haven't been able to make it control Apple TV in a while.
Just used it on my AppleTV3 with iPad 3 and iPhone 4s and it works.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Just used it on my AppleTV3 with iPad 3 and iPhone 4s and it works.

gently caress, I was hoping to just wait for another update instead of having to troubleshoot this poo poo. Any ideas why it's been broken for me on this version since March?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

HolySwissCheese posted:

gently caress, I was hoping to just wait for another update instead of having to troubleshoot this poo poo. Any ideas why it's been broken for me on this version since March?
Dunno, worked perfect since the launch of Apple TV3 which is when I first started using it.

Do the whole restore dance with your devices and try again?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hopefully dead easy question: my dad has an ATV2 which I put XBMC on and every so often I copy some stuff across to it. Other than that, he pretty much only uses it for Netflix... how much data can I copy across to the ATV without impairing it's ability to cache? Or is that on a separate partition, and it doesn't matter if I max out the one that I can write to over SFTP?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

The pHo posted:

Hopefully dead easy question: my dad has an ATV2 which I put XBMC on and every so often I copy some stuff across to it. Other than that, he pretty much only uses it for Netflix... how much data can I copy across to the ATV without impairing it's ability to cache? Or is that on a separate partition, and it doesn't matter if I max out the one that I can write to over SFTP?

It has a pretty small cache-- I think it's like 8gb, not sure how much is actually usable.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

The pHo posted:

The Apple TV's caches are located in /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches

The breakdown of the disk space on the ATV is:

code:
aether:~ root# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/disk0s1s1        681M  602M   73M  90% /
devfs                  26K   26K     0 100% /dev
/dev/disk0s1s2        6.8G  845M  6.0G  13% /private/var
So basically, ~700MB goes to the OS and you're left with 6.8 GB to work with. The 6.8 GB is before anything is cached. I'm not sure what a realistic size is for the cached data, but you could check the size of the folder after renting movies, watching some netflix, watching movies, etc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's a good plan, cheers. The files I want to push over tonight are smaller than I first thought (I knew there was an 8GB total storage in there and I thought it was going to be close to 6GB of data) so no problem with that, but good to know for the future.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have a VPN set up to watch American Netflix on my iPad. Works perfectly.

AirPlay doesn't work (only does audio) but mirroring will. Problem is that it doesn't fit my screen - black bars.

I use DisplayOut which is a JB app, but it still doesn't fit the screen.

I can stretch it to fit but then it doesn't look as good. Any help here to make it full screen? I'm so close!!

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

I have a VPN set up to watch American Netflix on my iPad. Works perfectly.

AirPlay doesn't work (only does audio) but mirroring will. Problem is that it doesn't fit my screen - black bars.

I use DisplayOut which is a JB app, but it still doesn't fit the screen.

I can stretch it to fit but then it doesn't look as good. Any help here to make it full screen? I'm so close!!
the app has to support airplay video out to get native resolution on the TV and certain apps don't (HBO GO also doesn't, which sucks). I assume this is for reasons pertaining to keeping content owners happy. Anyway, if the app doesn't support it you're stuck with mirroring. You could do some hacky things to get your AppleTV to go through the VPN, but it'd be kind of a pain.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Wait why not just use Netflix on the AppleTV?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Akuma posted:

Wait why not just use Netflix on the AppleTV?

American Netflix.

He's Canadian.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Does Canada not have Netflix? Even us in the UK have it, and we don't have poo poo all else.

But anyway, my question is more; why not use whatever workaround you're using for the iPad on the AppleTV? We have Netflix here but the selection sucks, so I use a service to get the US selection by changing the DNS settings.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 23, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Akuma posted:

Does Canada not have Netflix? Even us in the UK have it, and we don't have poo poo all else.

But anyway, my question is more; why not use whatever workaround you're using for the iPad on the AppleTV? We have Netflix here but the selection sucks, so I use a service to get the US selection by changing the DNS settings.
You can't use VPN's on an Apple TV 3. I instead use the VPN on my iPad. Only way to run a VPN on it would be to use a flashed router which is way too much effort

And for the first question, I have Canadian Netflix but want the American selection.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What is the best place/twitter to follow to keep up with if/when the ATV3 gets jailbroken?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Well, it'll be all over this thread, with a renamed OP certainly, for starters. Or, the Firecore blog http://blog.firecore.com/

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Laserface posted:

What is the best place/twitter to follow to keep up with if/when the ATV3 gets jailbroken?
I'm suspecting the jailbreak won't be until after iOS 6 drops, but I think it's just a matter of time.

The reason I think it's iOS 6 is because there's new features and new attack vectors that can be attempted. The more features they add, the more likely they'll miss something. Also, it's really rare that someone locks down a device to the point that it can't be hacked anymore.

The last time I remember that happening was with DirecTV, and they ended up having to bring one of the biggest names in DTV hacking over to their side to accomplish it.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Laserface posted:

Believe me, you'll know. There may even be an audible cheer heard round the world.

I agree with the iOS 6 statement. Definitely opens up some additional avenues.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I figure it will spread pretty fast, just wanted to know from the source to avoid any confusion :)

I guess I should just pick up a couple of these now and use it for airplay since my Boxee loving sucks at it and making video playback in the bedroom without HDMI cables would be a bonus.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
I was very excited at the idea of picking up Mountain Lion today so that I can push movies straight from my iMac to my ATV3. However, I'm reading that AirPlay won't work on any macs without a Sandy Bridge processor... which sucks as I have an early '09 Mac.

Are there any other alternative options for pushing media straight from my desktop to ATV3?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

puppy party posted:

I was very excited at the idea of picking up Mountain Lion today so that I can push movies straight from my iMac to my ATV3. However, I'm reading that AirPlay won't work on any macs without a Sandy Bridge processor... which sucks as I have an early '09 Mac.

Are there any other alternative options for pushing media straight from my desktop to ATV3?

I keep hearing AirParrot, while not free, works just fine.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

You can't use VPN's on an Apple TV 3. I instead use the VPN on my iPad. Only way to run a VPN on it would be to use a flashed router which is way too much effort

Does anyone have a link to accurate instructions for getting a router running dd-wrt to work with a service like StrongVPN? Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places or just not following instructions correctly but I can't get it to work for bypassing MLB.tv blackouts.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

Does anyone have a link to accurate instructions for getting a router running dd-wrt to work with a service like StrongVPN? Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places or just not following instructions correctly but I can't get it to work for bypassing MLB.tv blackouts.

Like this?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

I use Hide my rear end which has a page dedicated to showing you how to do it.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

puppy party posted:

I'm a dummy and didn't think to look for "feature specific requirements" for mirror AirPlay. Looks like my mid-2010 i7 just barely didn't make the cut. :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Voodoo posted:

I'm a dummy and didn't think to look for "feature specific requirements" for mirror AirPlay. Looks like my mid-2010 i7 just barely didn't make the cut. :(

There's a difference between mirror and just airplay, and I think if someone's trying to just airplay movies to the ATV as the poster above, it's fine. Although since mirror is the new feature here, maybe that is what they meant. WHO KNOWS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure you could already Airplay (the regular, non-mirroring kind) movies from iTunes to AppleTV in Lion.

• Locked thread