Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The name Youview annoys be because it's so obviously cribbed from Youtube, which makes it seem a bit tacky (not the youtube bit, more because it's a knockoff name). I think it's a good idea, but none of the rest of my family ever use iPlayer on the PS3, so who knows how well it will take off with that sort of audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
The YouView thing's not going to do well because no-one knows what the gently caress it is. Most of us do, because we're internet-dwelling teen/20-somethings. My auntie has never heard of it, and it would take more than 10 seconds to explain to her what it does, and why it's different from the "on demand" button on her telly. It's not exciting technology and it's not been marketed, it's going to bomb. And yes it's not been released yet, but everyone's auntie knew exactly what an iPad was before they hit the shelves.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
When I heard that Alan Sugar and Richard Desmond were involved in YouView I immediately assumed that it's going to fail spectacularly

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Hoops posted:

My auntie has never heard of it, and it would take more than 10 seconds to explain to her what it does, and why it's different from the "on demand" button on her telly.
Your reply should be "It's exactly like the on-demand on your telly" and then explain why a common industry standard is better.

In many ways a good comparison is Freesat. There were more than a few naysayers about that, and there was no overnight revolution of the market. Instead it's just plugged away, numbers have grown and people are finally realising "oh, you can get satellite without a subscription?". There will be no overnight switch to Youview; it'll initially grow mostly through people after a Freeview PVR anyway and come across it in the shops.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

lazyjane posted:

So nobody here uses anything like Myth TV then?

http://www.mythtv.org/

In 2012? No, pretty much everyone uses XBMC or Plex now.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Got caught up with Line of Duty last night.

It's fun, but there's a bit too much grandstanding and the remarks about Police bureaucracy are far too on the nose. I'll definitely keep watching, though.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs

The pHo posted:

In 2012? No, pretty much everyone uses XBMC or Plex now.

Sorry I'm too old school for you!

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

Unkempt posted:

They cancelled Raiders and replaced it with tennis, which meant no tennis on 2 so they put on a bunch of random crap instead. I have no idea why and it pissed me off as I haven't seen Raiders since I got my shiny new HD telly.

This was from a week back, but Raiders will now be on in 15 minutes. Looking forward to seeing it in HD!

Unless they balls it up again

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wish the BBC would get its act together when it comes to Wimbledon and the way it inevitably overruns. The Hollow Crown was first shoved to 9.15, then to 9.30, then the tennis announcer said it was cancelled, then he corrected that and said it was showing at 10.00 on BBC2.

Very messy way of doing things, very unprofessional. If they are going to show tennis, just make sure the 2 hours of the schedule afterwards are filled with easily missable crap, not what is shaping up to be one of the finest dramas of 2012.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It's Loki! Don't trust him :ohdear:

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....
For those who caught the last episode of Episodes, who was Matt Le Blanc's lawyer?

I recognised him but I just can't put a name to the face and the shows he's been on.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

keveh posted:

For those who caught the last episode of Episodes, who was Matt Le Blanc's lawyer?

I recognised him but I just can't put a name to the face and the shows he's been on.

Nigel Planer. Off the Young Ones. (says my dad)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought Planer was done with comedy these days?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Episodes was a comedy?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
This season was hilarious.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Metrication posted:

Episodes was a comedy?

Episodes was really good. The tennis mucked up a bunch of my SKY+ recordings so now I'm trying to coax a decent framrate out of iPlayer HD. Maybe I should get a new laptop.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mickolution posted:

Got caught up with Line of Duty last night.

It's fun, but there's a bit too much grandstanding and the remarks about Police bureaucracy are far too on the nose. I'll definitely keep watching, though.
The stuff about police bureaucracy was borderline panto in it's execution and stood out so badly in an otherwise serious drama I don't know what they were thinking.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

thehustler posted:

This season was hilarious.

Really? I only saw the first couple of episodes of the first series, but thought they were awful. Did it pick up that much? Still don't think I can bring myself to sit through the early ones again.

Cerv posted:

The stuff about police bureaucracy was borderline panto in it's execution and stood out so badly in an otherwise serious drama I don't know what they were thinking.

Yeah, that poo poo really stuck in my craw. We get it, whoever wrote it has seen The Wire. It's been reasonably enjoyable if massively heavy handed with pretty much everything so far, though.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
I enjoy Episodes. I don't laugh much at it, but when I do.

It took six eps to set up the gem "She was driving on the wrong side of the road!"/"So you hosed Her!?"

I do like Mangan, and I'm glad they addressed his W&G smile.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Episodes is a good concept let down by it's mediocre execution. It's not bad, but not great either.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The woman writing Dead Boss seem very scatter shot with their writing. There is like several thousand sub plots going on at once.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
BBC Three suddenly seem to have introduced a whole raft of not very good new comedy.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
So you're saying it's business as usual ?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Episodes is one of those strange shows that falls down the crack between drama and sitcom, and ends up being neither. Still, it's better than Miranda...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

goatface posted:

BBC Three suddenly seem to have introduced a whole raft of not very good new comedy.

Got to do something apart from showing us near endless repeats of American Dad and Family Guy.

Though at this stage, they should just rename the thing BBC Animated America and try and buy some other stuff as their comedy is getting weaker and weaker.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

SeanBeansShako posted:

Got to do something apart from showing us near endless repeats of American Dad and Family Guy.

Though at this stage, they should just rename the thing BBC Animated America and try and buy some other stuff as their comedy is getting weaker and weaker.

BBC 3 made Fades and do, do the occasional decent documentary, the one following young people into an average police station was good

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Leon with a Zero posted:

BBC 3 made Fades and do, do the occasional decent documentary, the one following young people into an average police station was good

It is trying, but they really need to hire some better higher ups for it.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Metrication posted:

Episodes is a good concept let down by it's mediocre execution. It's not bad, but not great either.

I thought it was really good this series, and they'd actually made it better by not only being quite funny but also including what I thought were much better plotlines. Maybe I'm just a big softie though.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

goatface posted:

I hope there are some comedies about how men and women are different. Oh, and more Will Mellor pleeeeease.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just want Snog, Marry, Avoid nonstop. Jenny Frost or Ellie Taylor. :allears:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Szmitten posted:

It's Loki! Don't trust him :ohdear:

Spent 20 minutes in the pub arguing over whether that was Hiddleston, James MacAvoy or Harry Lloyd. It's quite hard without the sound, but his hands clinched it.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

SeanBeansShako posted:

The woman writing Dead Boss seem very scatter shot with their writing. There is like several thousand sub plots going on at once.

Just watched the first episode of Dead Boss and liked it. I do love everything I've seen by Sharon Horgan tho.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Al2001 posted:

Just watched the first episode of Dead Boss and liked it. I do love everything I've seen by Sharon Horgan tho.

Some stuff is kind of funny with it, and both the actors and actresses are doing there best in it.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Handsome Dead posted:

I just want Snog, Marry, Avoid nonstop. Jenny Frost or Ellie Taylor. :allears:

A channel with snog marry avoid and jeremy kyle nonstop would be heaven.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I'm going to stop paying my licence fee until they bring back Hotter Than My Daughter. Quality BBC programming.

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009
I'm watching the Dirk Gently DVD and I think it's a brilliant show. I don't mind that it's not a super-faithful adaption; it creates something new and stands very well on its own.

Currently absorbing the final episode and I can't quite catch what Gently says at the end of his, er, sermon. Anyone know? Sounds like "the end of..."?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Spent 20 minutes in the pub arguing over whether that was Hiddleston, James MacAvoy or Harry Lloyd. It's quite hard without the sound, but his hands clinched it.

Harry Lloyd was in it, too. Personally I spent most of it being fascinated by Hotspur's nose, which you could probably launch Harriers from.

Does anyone know if the Midmorning Matters with Alan Partridge on Sky tonight is new, or if it's the stuff they had on Youtube?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Daily Show has left More 4 (possibly the last of the More4 launch programmes?) and will be on Comedy Central Extra from 23rd July, 5 nights a week. Global Edition on Monday and Mon-Thurs USA eps being shown Tues-Fri.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty sure it hasn't been on More4 in years, hence there was a UK block on the website. That's been lifted too, which is even better news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They ditched the show proper years ago, because they couldn't justify a half hour four days a week on a show with abysmal ratings, but they kept up the Global Edition, a digest of last week's shows, at midnight on Mondays until just now.
However since C4 had the rights to the show in the UK, Comedy Central region locked the website. Now they've got the show back, they can show us it.
Is Colbert Report still on FX?