Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CapnAndy posted:

People who've read SoD, what's your read on that, actually? Redcloak asserting that Xykon's dancing on his strings is pretty opposed to Xykon's speech to Redcloak at the end of SoD. Is Redcloak just deluding himself into thinking he's still the boss in this partnership, or has he been playing a much deeper game than anyone realized, or is this a new development?

My take on it is that Redcloak is fully cowed at the end of SoD and is genuinely on his back foot right up until the siege of Azure City. At that point, actually managing to accomplish one of his major goals is enough that he reasserts a certain amount of control. The bit with his eye then pushes him over the edge a bit further, and now he's doing a lot of backroom dealing and scheming. He's not the boss in the partnership, because the raw power division's too uneven for that, but he's now more focused on the endgame than he's been for the entire strip so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NihilCredo posted:

"It's not just about power, it's about how far you are willing to go before you feel bad" (quoting from memory). I think one could argue that Redcloak's stone-cold handling of Tsukiko showed that he's absorbed that lesson.
I think he says that it's specifically how far you're willing to debase yourself, but yeah, I could see that.

Wanderer posted:

He's not the boss in the partnership, because the raw power division's too uneven for that, but he's now more focused on the endgame than he's been for the entire strip so far.
This makes the most sense to me. In a way, Redcloak has changed the most and the least of all the dynamic characters in the strip, because The Plan has never stopped being his Number One priority, but how he tries to reach it has gone just about every which way.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

People who've read SoD, what's your read on that, actually? Redcloak asserting that Xykon's dancing on his strings is pretty opposed to Xykon's speech to Redcloak at the end of SoD. Is Redcloak just deluding himself into thinking he's still the boss in this partnership, or has he been playing a much deeper game than anyone realized, or is this a new development?

I think it's kind of 50/50. Xykon's still the one with more power, but he also still doesn't know that Redcloak's goal doesn't actually benefit Xykon, or at least he isn't shown knowing this, since his speech also indicated that he often does know a lot more than he cares to let on.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Wanderer posted:

My take on it is that Redcloak is fully cowed at the end of SoD and is genuinely on his back foot right up until the siege of Azure City. At that point, actually managing to accomplish one of his major goals is enough that he reasserts a certain amount of control. The bit with his eye then pushes him over the edge a bit further, and now he's doing a lot of backroom dealing and scheming. He's not the boss in the partnership, because the raw power division's too uneven for that, but he's now more focused on the endgame than he's been for the entire strip so far.

Yeah, this was pretty much my take on it, too. If I had to guess, I'd say the actual turning point during the battle of Azure City would be when that hobgoblin sacrificed himself to save Redcloak. That snapped him out of the downward spiral he'd been in since the end of SoD and got him to re-evaluate his priorities.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The only priority it snapped him out of, from what I remember, was his disdain for hobgoblins when compared to regular goblins.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cliff Racer posted:

The only priority it snapped him out of, from what I remember, was his disdain for hobgoblins when compared to regular goblins.

But he also became a lot more proactive from that point onwards.

I get the idea that Redcloak's entire plan now is to just suck up all of Xykon's abuse until he can turn the tables. It's not just power, but how much you're willing to debase yourself, after all.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Redcloak and Xykon were also becoming more bros from the time Xykon got blown up until about the time the phylactery got lost

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

"You didn't think I was going to let YOU keep carrying it, did you?"
"No.
No, I definitely did not."

Remember the start of that scene is Redclock calling out Xykon on trying to use Tsukiko to get the whole ritual behind Redcloak's back - and Xykon backs down from admitting it.

The other thing to remember is 'the difference between not knowing and not caring'; Xykon knows full well that Redcloak was asserting himself in that scene and he's going to remember it - he just doesn't care right now so long as Redclock remains on-mission. We also know from SOD that Xykon is perfectly willing to play the long game if need be.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Alchenar posted:

"You didn't think I was going to let YOU keep carrying it, did you?"
"No.
No, I definitely did not."

Remember the start of that scene is Redclock calling out Xykon on trying to use Tsukiko to get the whole ritual behind Redcloak's back - and Xykon backs down from admitting it.

The other thing to remember is 'the difference between not knowing and not caring'; Xykon knows full well that Redcloak was asserting himself in that scene and he's going to remember it - he just doesn't care right now so long as Redclock remains on-mission. We also know from SOD that Xykon is perfectly willing to play the long game if need be.

Yes, that scene warrants very careful reading. Xykon behaves quite ...specifically.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

CapnAndy posted:

Xykon wears the pants. No doubt. Redcloak can't do anything without him. That's just it. Redcloak needs Xykon. It doesn't go the other way. And those who've seen it in SoD know that Xykon is sitting on a bit of a Redcloak-handling trump.

Redcloak's trying to pull back--and I keep rooting for him because I like him more than Xykon--but I sure don't see him actually pulling any strings right now. He's more got the tiger by the tail.

Theler
Aug 8, 2009
In don't split the party there is a bonus comic (665b) which implies that Belkar will save Hinjo's life twice.

I know Belkar has done this once when he killed the guy trying to poison Hinjo. Is there a second time I am missing?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

Xykon wears the pants. No doubt. Redcloak can't do anything without him. That's just it. Redcloak needs Xykon. It doesn't go the other way. And those who've seen it in SoD know that Xykon is sitting on a bit of a Redcloak-handling trump.

He doesn't have anything of the sort. The only thing holding Redcloak in check is that Xykon is literally too powerful (as a result of lich-supercharging his magic) for Redclock to defeat.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

Alchenar posted:

He doesn't have anything of the sort. The only thing holding Redcloak in check is that Xykon is literally too powerful (as a result of lich-supercharging his magic) for Redclock to defeat.

He does, in fact: Xykon has hypnotised the Monster in the Darkness.If Redcloak tries to kill/usurp Xykon, the MitD will be compelled to eat him.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mr. Moon posted:

He does, in fact: Xykon has hypnotised the Monster in the Darkness.If Redcloak tries to kill/usurp Xykon, the MitD will be compelled to eat him.

Note that he brought the MitD with him and Redcloak when they left Azure City. He's not going anywhere with Redcloak without that guy present.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oops, forgot about that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But on the other hand, that requires that the MitD be aware of the betrayal. There'll be no need to let Xykon know until after the gate-handover-to-the-Dark-One is fait accompli. Redcloak himself is expendable in pursuit of that goal.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I'm too lazy to check the archives at the moment, but if memory serves, Redcloak is currently wearing a fake phylactery and keeping the real one in a box. Given that the MitD was specifically instructed to eat Redcloak and spit his necklace out, my guess is that's precisely what will happen, and it won't be until later that Xykon discovers he's been duped. If he ever does.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The fake phylactery is currently being / has just been placed in Xykon's astral fortress. Redcloack's necklace is now just a regular holy symbol, the real phylactery being in his pocket.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This means that, as things stand, if MitD DOES eat Redcloak, he'll be eating Xykon's real phylactery, and won't spit it out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colon V posted:

This means that, as things stand, if MitD DOES eat Redcloak, he'll be eating Xykon's real phylactery, and won't spit it out.

Huh. That's about clever enough to happen, nice catch.

Rules question, how much power would Redcloak have over Xykon as an undead? Are Lichs exempt from turning etc?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Huh. That's about clever enough to happen, nice catch.

Rules question, how much power would Redcloak have over Xykon as an undead? Are Lichs exempt from turning etc?
None. I think liches get a bonus to resisting turning and that it's based on hit dice so he has no chance at all to rebuke him.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I wonder if the MitD can digest a phylactery.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's also the question of what would happen to the Red Cloak. Isn't it a divine object of the goblin god?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

YggiDee posted:

There's also the question of what would happen to the Red Cloak. Isn't it a divine object of the goblin god?

Yeah, but still seems subject to wear and tear.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I take it from the current discussion Start of Darkness is very much worth buying? It's something I keep meaning to pick up but never remember to.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Parts Kit posted:

I take it from the current discussion Start of Darkness is very much worth buying? It's something I keep meaning to pick up but never remember to.

It's really good and it will explain a lot about Redcloak, Xykon, and where they're coming from.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Parts Kit posted:

It's easily the best of the print-only books, and both of the others are very good. It's a very good story about the primary parts of Team Evil

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Parts Kit posted:

It's one of the best OotS arcs. As I said earlier, I think it's up there with Vaarsuvius's rampage in terms of sheer awesomeness. It's also got a lot of plot. It completely changed how I felt about Redcloak. He went from "badass minion with an agenda" to something of a tragic antihero, in my eyes.

If you buy only one OotS book, buy Start of Darkness.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The prequel book about the heroes was a boring waste of time and money so I don't blame anyone for being leery about SoD, but it's seriously excellent and has actually interesting backstory

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RentACop posted:

The prequel book about the heroes was a boring waste of time and money so I don't blame anyone for being leery about SoD, but it's seriously excellent and has actually interesting backstory

Aw, it's not that bad. But yes, SoD is proper pop literature and a must-get.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RentACop posted:

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed in On the Origins of PCs.

Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tails was fun, though. The Dragon magazine strips were quite amusing. Imagine the dungeon crawl from early OotS, with the better art and writing you got later on. The OotS vs the 4th Edition OotS strips were pretty good, too.

But Start of Darkness is the real winner amongst the print-only books.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Speaking of the print-only books, I got my three-pack along with the other goodies yesterday. I only skimmed a friend's SoD before, so it's been nice reading while waiting for Rich to update (assuming he's not dead :ohdear:)

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Thanks all! I'll have to pick up copy a soon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that after all the buildup over Redcloak's betrayal, it would almost be a letdown if the Order managed to stop them pulling off the ritual?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I wonder if the MitD can digest a phylactery.

No it most likely has way too much acid resistance for that to be a possibility.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

MikeJF posted:

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that after all the buildup over Redcloak's betrayal, it would almost be a letdown if the Order managed to stop them pulling off the ritual?
Given what the bird saw, I would be highly surprised if the ritual was stopped because the opportunity to surprise everyone would be thrown away.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Poil posted:

No it most likely has way too much acid resistance for that to be a possibility.

Xykon would have to put some spells on it afterward to give it that kind of protection, but yeah, it's not outside the realm of possibility. It'd need to be pretty hefty protection or immunity, though, since immersion in acid is 10D6/round. It'd easily get through 40 HP, even with hardness of 20.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Red Cloak growing as a character is probably the most enjoyable part of the comic, as long as you have read SoD. If you haven't he's still cool, but if you have you can see how the sacrifice of the hobgoblins at Azure City really started to change him into someone stronger, and his destruction of Tsukiko (and everything that followed) is testament to how he's changing on the inside.

That's where he's got one over on Xykon - as much as he's self-aware of it and plays it up for dark-delight, Xykon is a one-note character with no room to change or grow. Red Cloak up and decided he wasn't. If the Oots weren't around he'd be a compelling protagonist.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vicissitude posted:

Xykon would have to put some spells on it afterward to give it that kind of protection, but yeah, it's not outside the realm of possibility. It'd need to be pretty hefty protection or immunity, though, since immersion in acid is 10D6/round. It'd easily get through 40 HP, even with hardness of 20.

That depends on how bloody mindedly you want to read that rule, or whether you are sensible and realise that 'stomach acid' is not the same thing as 'trap full of concentrated sulphuric acid' (um... depending possibly on the stomach in question).

Metal things tend to survive digestion by normal creatures (yeah I know, the MitD is blatently something not-normal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

That depends on how bloody mindedly you want to read that rule, or whether you are sensible and realise that 'stomach acid' is not the same thing as 'trap full of concentrated sulphuric acid' (um... depending possibly on the stomach in question).

Metal things tend to survive digestion by normal creatures (yeah I know, the MitD is blatently something not-normal).

I just assumed he was taking for granted the not-normal-ness of the MitD with that figure.