Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Fractal Cat posted:

What, what is that even suposed to be? Other then horribly offensive.

It's a "cake", it's got 30 pre-loaded fireworks shots that are connected by one fuse, so you light the fuse and they shoot off one at a time. They're mostly made in China, and it seems like this company had a terrible grasp of American history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

It's a "cake", it's got 30 pre-loaded fireworks shots that are connected by one fuse, so you light the fuse and they shoot off one at a time. They're mostly made in China, and it seems like this company had a terrible grasp of American history.

I choose to pretend that they went "trail of tears, that's kind of like the long march:v:"
There's a rocket family made by the Chinese called the Long March, and fireworks and rockets are the same thing right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet

website is nuts

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Twatworth
Apr 5, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3RrqBqk14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3RrqBqk14

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

"Rape and marriage, free of charge", referring to a law in Jordan that allows rapists to avoid punishment if they marry their victim. Similar laws exist throughout the Arab World.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.

az jan jananam posted:

"Rape and marriage, free of charge", referring to a law in Jordan that allows rapists to avoid punishment if they marry their victim. Similar laws exist throughout the Arab World.

There was also an analogous law in Italy in the post-war period, where the custom in some places was to allow a rapist to atone for his crime by marrying his victim. One of the biggest impacts of '68/the Sexual Revolution in Italy was in stopping this from occurring legally, though it took a number of years for that law to be taken off the books.

The story of this woman, Franca Viola, helped to make that happen.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

az jan jananam posted:

It's in the Bible.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29

New International Version (NIV)

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Face of Jesus:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Sculptures by Alexandre Kosolapov.

Hero, Leader, God (2006).

Mini and Mickey: Worker and Farmgirl (2005).

Mickey-Lenin (2003).

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 7, 2012

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Pepper spay at a protest in Hong Kong. Looks like the cameramen were prepared for it.

some more:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Photo op with Gov. Reagan eating grapes during Cesar Chavez's United Farm Workers grape boycott because gently caress you brown people.

shortprsn
Apr 21, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Photo op with Gov. Reagan eating grapes during Cesar Chavez's United Farm Workers grape boycott because gently caress you brown people.

artist's statement posted:

I had already turned in my cartoon Friday afternoon when, Saturday morning, I read the news that Reagan’s health was failing. I began drawing immediately. I have had a rough draft of this cartoon ready for this occasion for years. As the day continued I kept getting e-mails and text messages from friends excitedly anticipating the Gipper’s impending death. Finally Steve, with whom I have planned for over a decade to hold a party on the day of Reagan’s funeral, called me from the track, where he was betting on the Belmont Stakes, to tell me that the old bastard was finally dead. He reported that there had been a perfunctory Moment of Silence, lasting approximately 1.6 seconds, before everyone went back to betting. It was beautiful. As the afternoon went on I got a flood of congratulatory calls from friends around the world—Ben in Boston, Megan and Mike in New York, Berkeley in Baltimore, even Allison in Bulgaria. I e-mailed this cartoon into the City Paper around seven P.M., begging them in the name of our sweet lord and savior Jesus Christ to stop the presses and please run this Wednesday, and then headed down to Baltimore to drink tiny beers and watch The Big Lebowski. The Reagan party will be held at my house this weekend.

Perhaps it may seem insensitive and unpatriotic to some for me to run such an ugly cartoon at this time of national mourning. To those of you who hold this view, I must respectfully say gently caress you. Some of my younger readers may not even remember Ronald Regan’s presidency, and I would not want them to be misled by the onslaught of state propaganda they’ll be subjected to this week. Calling him the Great Communicator is like calling Hitler the Great Negotiator, and if we’re going to credit him with winning the Cold War we may as well credit him with the Challenger disaster and the return of Halley’s Comet. Let me tell you what it was really like:

Even at age twelve I could tell that Jimmy Carter was an honest man trying to address complicated issues and Ronald Reagan was a brilcreemed salesman telling people what they wanted to hear. I secretly wept on the stairs the night he was elected President, because I understood that the kind of shitheads I had to listen to in the cafeteria grew up to become voters, and won. I spent the eight years he was in office living in one of those science-fiction movies where everyone is taken over by aliens—I was appalled by how stupid and mean-spirited and repulsive the world was becoming while everyone else in America seemed to agree that things were finally exactly as they should be. The Washington Press corps was so enamored of his down-to-earth charm that they never checked his facts, but if you watched his face when it was at rest, when he wasn’t performing for anyone, you could see him for what he really was—a black-eyed, slit-mouthed, lizard-faced old son-of-a-bitch. He was a bad actor, an informer for McCarthy, and a hired front man for a gang of Texas oilmen, fundamentalist dingbats, and right-wing psychotics out of Dr. Strangelove. He put a genial face on chauvanism, callousness, and greed, and made people feel good about being bigots again. He likened Central American death squads to our founding fathers and called the Taliban “freedom fighters.” His legacy includes the dismantling of Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal, the final dirty win of Management over Labor, the outsourcing of America’s manufacturing base, the embezzlement of almost all the country's wealth by 1% of its citizens, the scapegoating of the poor and black, the War on Drugs, the eviction of schizophrenics into the streets, AIDS, acid rain, Iran-Contra, and, let’s not forget, the corpses of two hundred forty United States Marines. He moved the center of political discourse in this country to somewhere in between Richard Nixon and Augusto Pinochet. He believed in astrology and Armageddon and didn't know the difference between history and movies; his stories were lies and his jokes were scripted. He was the triumph of image over truth, paving the way for even more vapid spokesmodels like George W. Bush. He was, as everyone agrees, exactly what he appeared to be—nothing. He made me ashamed to be an American. If there was any justice in this world his Presidential Library would contain nothing but boys' adventure books and bad cowboy movies, and the only things named after him would be shopping malls and Potter's Fields. Let the earth where he is buried be seeded with salt.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Ron Jeremy posted:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWCyi70Foi4

Phil Hartman as the real Ronald Reagan.

And here's Ronnie at 26:

Also, this just popped up in the 2012 Election thread:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If
If Reagan played Disco
he'd shoot to poo poo
you can't disco in Jackboots

Have some White Man's Burden

and some lovely opinions from a Gay Canadian Conservative

and a classic:

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 8, 2012

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Lenin Lived, Lenin Lives, Lenin Will Live

Stalin and the Muses

Yalta Conf...:staredog:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Reene posted:

Stalin and the Muses

Yalta Conf...:staredog:

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

I can't quite make out what this says.

E: oh. There it is, thanks, timg!

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 8, 2012

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Admiral Bosch posted:

I can't quite make out what this says.

The timg says it all, "La Muerta", the dead.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Was Ho Chi Minh a particularly nasty dictator along the lines of Pol Pot? He was an anti-colonialist and communist so my American history classes basically portrayed him as Hitler in one of those conical asian farmer hats, but I don't remember hearing about massive death camps or anything. Sure the North Vietnamese treated American PoWs pretty brutally, but on the other hand...

:nms:http://imgur.com/GQvRh

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I have an unironic boner for a united north america because we have such ugly borders!

:911::hf::canada::hf::mexico:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The Moon Monster posted:

Was Ho Chi Minh a particularly nasty dictator along the lines of Pol Pot? He was an anti-colonialist and communist so my American history classes basically portrayed him as Hitler in one of those conical asian farmer hats, but I don't remember hearing about massive death camps or anything. Sure the North Vietnamese treated American PoWs pretty brutally, but on the other hand...

:nms:http://imgur.com/GQvRh

Also good to remember is that the South Vietnamese government was largely doing things equally as terrible if not worse than the North's activities.

But of course -

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Also I found this book in my basement in some boxes we had gotten from people.

:stare:

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

Also I found this book in my basement in some boxes we had gotten from people.

:stare:

You have to post some scans

a thing I already posted in the yospos picture thread:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I seem to remember my history teacher telling us that Uncle Ho asked for American support for Vietnamese independence in ~46 or so, but Truman turned him down because the French were still obsessed with their colonial empire. So Ho turned to the USSR, and the rest his history (plus a couple million dead).

French troops after Dien Bien Phu:

Gulf of Tonkin incident:

And of course:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Moon Monster posted:

He was as bad as any revolutionary fightting can be. Which is, sometimes committing necessary evils during their struggles IF you're supplying them with weapons OR being a genocidal maniac with visions of grandeur and bloolust if the commies are giving them weapons.

And wasn't Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge best buddies with the C.I.A.?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Do you know who else supported Pol Pot? The vast majority of the Anti-Soviet West in an attempt to win favor with the Chinese Communists who supported Pol Pot as well. Also, I can't imagine why the Americans would be so quick to criticize Vietnam from liberating Cambodia after their quite expensive and failure of a war.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lost For Words posted:

Already ahead of you!
(lovely cell phone pics incoming)

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 8, 2012

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lost For Words posted:

Who is the artist? Are there more pictures?

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
Some more posters from May '68 in France.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
And here I was thinking Communazi was satirical

More bad photos from books :D

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Lost For Words posted:

Ah, is this supposed to be a modern form of Danse Macabre?

A whole art topic showing how each member of society is going to die just the same as all the rest.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Ah, is this supposed to be a modern form of Danse Macabre?

A whole art topic showing how each member of society is going to die just the same as all the rest.
Holbein's rule. E: God dammit, the image didn't attach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

sullat posted:

I seem to remember my history teacher telling us that Uncle Ho asked for American support for Vietnamese independence in ~46 or so, but Truman turned him down because the French were still obsessed with their colonial empire. So Ho turned to the USSR, and the rest his history (plus a couple million dead).

Ho Chi Minh repeatedly asked for American assistance (as early as the 1920s) in getting rid of the French. In 1945 he appealed to Roosevelt, offering the port of Haiphong along with other economic perks in exchange for removing the French. The constitution Ho Chi Minh wrote included passages from the United States Constitution, and apparently Ho was a great admirer of George Washington.

The French of course wanted their colonies back, and used NATO bases in France along with French troops in NATO as a condition for American support in Indochina. The United States funded the French military in its entirety. As it became evident the French could not hold Indochina, the US played an even larger role, using the CIA's private air force for combat support and even offering to use nuclear weapons on the Vietcong at Dien Bien Phu.

Following the "loss" of China to the communists, no politician in the United States wanted to "lose" Vietnam to communism, blah blah blah military industrial complex war.

Here's everyone's favorite American puppet: Ngo Dinh Diem, the Vietnamese "JFK" in more ways than one as he was assassinated in the back of a car with his hands tied behind his back. The CIA arranged the coup.

:nws:http://imgur.com/CsSCx:nws:

• Locked thread