Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

rotor posted:

where do you even come up with this poo poo?!? oh my god

post some lovely band's youtubes about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i didn't know this but i'm not surprised. the useless academics really did a number on 5.4

only because you engineers couldn't get 6.0 to work

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
there are neither engineers nor academics involved in php :)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

php is spawned by shitlords

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i had to work on a drupal 6 thing and i guess drupal 6 isn't compatible with php 5.3, at least i couldn't figure out how to make it stop spewing infinite errors b/c drupal 6 doesn't know what E_DEPRECATED is. ended up patching the source but it's ok because it was all checked in anyway so the whole site was kind of a drupal fork, except that the guy i was working with also would unpack a drupal tarball into the build dir. one time i wondered what would happen if we didn't have both drupal-in-tarball and drupal-in-svn as part of the build but i figured that whole thing was made of NOT WORTH THE EFFORT and debugged some errors caused by ignoring undefined arary indexes instead.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
dont use drupaul

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

sometimes you just gotta ram it in there and figure out--yep, there's razor blades in your fleshlight

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Stringent posted:

post some lovely band's youtubes about it

no need to get all defensive dude, they're just posts

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

homercles posted:

use Modern::Perl hope on the cool train choo choo

Nah this is better http://p3rl.org/Acme::Very::Modern::Perl

or maybe just use5.10.0; use strict; use warnings; like you should

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

a rly fuckin nice web framework thing im currently using is perl w/ mojolicious. if youre tired of an epically bad language like php, try it out

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

TiMBuS posted:

a rly fuckin nice web framework thing im currently using is perl w/ mojolicious. if youre tired of an epically bad language like php, try it out

whats the deal with every web "framework" and its dog coming with its own built in http server these days jesus christ :pwn:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
are there any good web frameworks/platforms

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Rufo posted:

whats the deal with every web "framework" and its dog coming with its own built in http server these days jesus christ :pwn:

cuz they're a pita to deploy and every p language has its own special snowflake way of doing it

mods namechange posted:

are there any good web frameworks/platforms

no just different depths of poo poo

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

TiMBuS posted:

how does it compare to dancer? i've been tinkering with dancer and it's p much exactly what i want

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

cuz they're a pita to deploy and every p language has its own special snowflake way of doing it

just use fastcgi for everything itd be preferable at this point

im sure being able to run some command from your shell and get a pos server running on port 6969 is great for playing about with things quickly but its prob raising a generation of devops retards who dont realise they are but one part of the ~stack~

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my deployment platform is a screen session, what more do you want?!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Rufo posted:

for just doing preliminary work, nothing beats an auto-configured built in http server

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

Casao posted:

how does it compare to dancer? i've been tinkering with dancer and it's p much exactly what i want
mojolicious::lite apps are very similar to dancer apps, but full mojolicious apps let u have more control over yur routes and stuff.
its also infinitely better for debugging. even has a LWP replacement for testing. it owns.

Rufo posted:

because its useful? and mojolicious actuyally has two servers. morbo and hypnotoad. and hypnotoad is fast as heck. makes perfect sense to use it for this webmin thing im writing.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

C# Design Patterns on Tekpub has been one of the most illuminating and fun learning experiences I have ever experienced. But goddammit, it has been almost two months since their last video. I'm going to rage.

Shameproof fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 8, 2012

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

That's a Foxtrot! That irreverence, that wit... I'd recognize it anywhere. Some charlatan has stolen a Foxtrot and passed it off as his own.

I can prove it. Quick, to my archives.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i havent erally used java for a couple of years for anything and professionally for eevn longer. i started making a program in java (1.7) just this past week and you know what?

java is g*d d*mn decent. felt good man

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

TiMBuS posted:

looks cool. reminds me of flask

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
just use express.js and node if you want true simplicity and ease of development

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wheany posted:

i havent erally used java for a couple of years for anything and professionally for eevn longer. i started making a program in java (1.7) just this past week and you know what?

java is g*d d*mn decent. felt good man

java owns

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tinselt0wn posted:

just use express.js and node if you want true simplicity and ease of development

bookmarking this to look at any time i start thinking i have dumb coworkers. it could be worse

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

tinselt0wn posted:

haha

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

tinselt0wn posted:

yeah maybe that would work if i was writing some bullshit tiny api

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

java owns

how to make an empty array of org.javatuples.Triplet:

new Triplet<>[]{};

:haw:

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

tinselt0wn posted:

lmao

guys is there a good thing to use for setting up documentation & architecture & flowcharts and whateverfor a new project

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

with the power of Microsoft™ Office 2010® Visio™ for Windows™-based PCs, you can—

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainMeatpants posted:

lmao

guys is there a good thing to use for setting up documentation & architecture & flowcharts and whateverfor a new project

OmniPlan + OmniFocus + OmniOutliner

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
what is the big deal about python 3 migration anyway

I keep reading people complaining about it

also trexeaterofcadrs does groovy 2.0 fix those problems you experienced, we have some jvm integration work coming up and I'd like to use it

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Internaut! posted:

also trexeaterofcadrs does groovy 2.0 fix those problems you experienced, we have some jvm integration work coming up and I'd like to use it
python 3 focuses on cleaning up the language instead of backwards compatibility and poo poo like numpy and django dont work on it, which are like the only 2 reasons people use python

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Internaut! posted:

programmers don't like change, except the changes they wanted. (c.f the 'gil')

basically all of the people whining don't realise that python 3 is not going to adopted over night.

it's only relatively recently become production ready and as a result the major libraries have porting efforts are happening.

in reality it isn't so much the shift from python 2.7 to 3, but the shift from 2.4 to 2.7 that is the sticking point. many of the libraries already support multiple versions of python, so they're going to have to drop a few before they support python 3.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

programmers don't like change, except the changes they wanted. (c.f the 'gil')

basically all of the people whining don't realise that python 3 is not going to adopted over night.

it's only relatively recently become production ready and as a result the major libraries have porting efforts are happening.

in reality it isn't so much the shift from python 2.7 to 3, but the shift from 2.4 to 2.7 that is the sticking point. many of the libraries already support multiple versions of python, so they're going to have to drop a few before they support python 3.

:munch:

i bet ruby 2 won't be nearly as bad because we already have like four different implementations that get used (1.8.7/ree, 1.9.3, jruby, rbx)

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

tinselt0wn posted:

OmniPlan + OmniFocus + OmniOutliner

what the hell are these

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniplan/
lmao $200 for this

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
if being able to manage your projects efficiently to save you time isnt worth $200 your job is a pos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

gantt janitor