Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Dauntasa posted:

Funniest thing was that the FDC was so much better than the LED. The LED were easily the most incompetent faction while the FDC was one of the better ones, so we loving steamrolled them until the developers begged us to stop, which we did, but only briefly before continuing. By the end the FDC's only allies were the CMG, which had no people in it and was generally ignored by everyone, but we kept winning.

Yeah now that you mention it I remember LED being poo poo. They would like scan you in areas where scanning was forbidden and then try to arrest you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Crasscrab posted:

Yeah now that you mention it I remember LED being poo poo. They would like scan you in areas where scanning was forbidden and then try to arrest you.

Well the whole reason the FDC hated them was because the FDC would essentially do all the work as far as real fighting for them, because we were perma-allies, and then the LED would arrest FDC soldiers for having illegal grenades and stimulants that they were using to protect the LED from attacks. Since the LED were also overpopulated and incompetent, everybody hated them except, for whatever reason, the Devs, who loved them.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Dauntasa posted:

Well the whole reason the FDC hated them was because the FDC would essentially do all the work as far as real fighting for them, because we were perma-allies, and then the LED would arrest FDC soldiers for having illegal grenades and stimulants that they were using to protect the LED from attacks. Since the LED were also overpopulated and incompetent, everybody hated them except, for whatever reason, the Devs, who loved them.

Devs often dicked around in the game politics too much. The whole fun of player driven game politics is that it's the players that do poo poo. I would have loved to see the FDC turn poo poo into a military dictatorship and then have factions form a coalition to fight them. But no, ban he usurper and reset factions.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Oppenheimer posted:

I wish that a) more games were like that and b) the eve online admins were the admins for all games.

FoM was like EVE in that it produced a lot of amazing stories but also a lot of monotony that you don't hear about. The FDC's motto was "Join the FDC, See the Universe, Stand in line for half an hour". Even during open war, it'd basically go Fight(which, funnily enough for a game set far in the future, was very very similar to Mount and Musket), Regroup, If you won, guard the place you just conquered for a few hours, if you lost, stand in line back on the Yukon for half an hour until the officers decide what to do with you.

NextWish
Sep 19, 2002

SpookyLizard posted:

Arma is the best worst game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ADQpzPDBGI

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Dauntasa posted:

FoM was like EVE in that it produced a lot of amazing stories but also a lot of monotony that you don't hear about. The FDC's motto was "Join the FDC, See the Universe, Stand in line for half an hour". Even during open war, it'd basically go Fight(which, funnily enough for a game set far in the future, was very very similar to Mount and Musket), Regroup, If you won, guard the place you just conquered for a few hours, if you lost, stand in line back on the Yukon for half an hour until the officers decide what to do with you.

Yeah I remember FDC being really stringent about line firing because it was the most effective in FoM combat, so pretty much your entire time in FDC was about getting into a line and staying in that line. Get to Yukon, stand in line and wait for orders, get sent for training, learn how to stand in line properly, get deployed to combat, form up in a line and start shooting the gently caress out of any scrub dumb enough to get close to you.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

I'm not sure exactly what I was watching, but "what the gently caress i'm a dog" was great.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
So griefing Blacklight: Retribution is fun and easy with a small cash investment.

There is a cloaking device that you can buy at level 1 for 1000 zen, which is $10 USD. It has unlimited duration, with a like 5-10 second cooldown after you drop the cloak. So you can run around all over the map nearly invisible, without worrying that your cloak will drop.

There is also a combat knife, that kills in 2 hits.

You can see where this is going.

People flip their poo poo because some rear end in a top hat who takes only the lightest +run speed equipment sprints around stabbing bitches like crazy.

For an additional few USD, you can buy a thing called the Break Hammer. It's basically a tomahawk that 1-hit kills anything, and you can't revive victims. The kicker is that it can even 1-hit kill the "Hardsuit", which is like that big robotic exoskeleton from Aliens. Players have to grind kills in a round to earn credits (which reset each match) with which to buy the exoskeleton. It is expensive, but really hard to kill without anti-armor equipment.

Until an invisible crack ninja murders it with an axe and then sprints off laughing maniacally.

I've never seen so much rage in a game.

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Diplomaticus posted:

So griefing Blacklight: Retribution is fun and easy with a small cash investment.

There is a cloaking device that you can buy at level 1 for 1000 zen, which is $10 USD. It has unlimited duration, with a like 5-10 second cooldown after you drop the cloak. So you can run around all over the map nearly invisible, without worrying that your cloak will drop.

There is also a combat knife, that kills in 2 hits.

You can see where this is going.

People flip their poo poo because some rear end in a top hat who takes only the lightest +run speed equipment sprints around stabbing bitches like crazy.

For an additional few USD, you can buy a thing called the Break Hammer. It's basically a tomahawk that 1-hit kills anything, and you can't revive victims. The kicker is that it can even 1-hit kill the "Hardsuit", which is like that big robotic exoskeleton from Aliens. Players have to grind kills in a round to earn credits (which reset each match) with which to buy the exoskeleton. It is expensive, but really hard to kill without anti-armor equipment.

Until an invisible crack ninja murders it with an axe and then sprints off laughing maniacally.

:perfectworld: is the new :cryptic: :allears:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

That sounds like enough fun for me to look into that game.

When MGO came out, I was the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world with tranquilizer guns. If you've never played, several weapons have the ability to knock players unconscious for a good 5 to 10 seconds. During that time, the unconscious player has to spin their joysticks around as fas as they can to get up faster. I'd get a mosin nagant, a sniper rifle that fires tranq darts, go camping in obscure places, and shoot people in the head. Then, when they were unconscious, 3 little Zs appeared over their heads, and they would fade out as the player got closer to waking up. So as soon as there was 1 Z left, I'd start focusing in on him. As soon as the victim moved, they'd get another shot right to the dome, taking them out again. I could keep people tied up for minutes or until someone else stumbled into my trap, killing the victim and giving me a new playmate.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I think we've invented a new concept - P2G: Pay to Grief

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Diplomaticus posted:

invisible crack ninja
I'm sold

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I tried playing, even getting that toxin pistol, but between the UI and I guess me being new to the game I couldn't manage much enjoyment out of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The game just isn't fun unless you pay money to be able to grief people I guess. I tried to get into it and it was alright. But I'm just not that good at those type of FPS' anymore. Then when I got to buy something with my ingame currency I find out I'm actually renting it and to buy it is super expensive.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Crasscrab posted:

Yeah I remember FDC being really stringent about line firing because it was the most effective in FoM combat, so pretty much your entire time in FDC was about getting into a line and staying in that line. Get to Yukon, stand in line and wait for orders, get sent for training, learn how to stand in line properly, get deployed to combat, form up in a line and start shooting the gently caress out of any scrub dumb enough to get close to you.

Well, by the start of the Civil war the FDC had developed a new strategy that no one else had figured out yet. Basically, since everyone else would form a big firing line, we'd load up on speed enhancing items and just run at them. Some of use would die but others would make it behind the line and start firing directly up their asses, which would force them to turn around and break the line. Once they broke the line, they'd just get swarmed and usually gunned down. We only did firing lines if we had a really good defensive position.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Dauntasa posted:

Well, by the start of the Civil war the FDC had developed a new strategy that no one else had figured out yet. Basically, since everyone else would form a big firing line, we'd load up on speed enhancing items and just run at them. Some of use would die but others would make it behind the line and start firing directly up their asses, which would force them to turn around and break the line. Once they broke the line, they'd just get swarmed and usually gunned down. We only did firing lines if we had a really good defensive position.

Huh, I don't know if I was around for that. My time playing FoM was a blur of griefing and crafting. Make poo poo, get paid, repeat.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Doodles posted:

I think we've invented a new concept - P2G: Pay to Grief

Best thing that could happen here is a nerf for one or both of those items, causing an inevitable nerd rage whereby the pay to griefers become griefed themselves.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Diplomaticus posted:

You're still visible in wallhack mode though, so the only people you can really grief with it are idiots who don't know that and idiots who don't check it obsessively whenever they're not firing a gun.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ghostlight posted:

You're still visible in wallhack mode though, so the only people you can really grief with it are idiots who don't know that and idiots who don't check it obsessively whenever they're not firing a gun.

True, but a surprising amount of people don't know how/don't bother to use the visor anyway. I love that thing, it seriously makes you feel like you're playing as the Predator when you get a good kill streak going. It doesn't have CoD style kill streak rewards (thankfully) so the kill streaks just increase your threat level to the other team and gets your more points.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

So someone made a mod for Just Cause 2 that turned it into a multiplayer game. There's no missions, no way to acquire new guns and no direct PvP, the entire thing is just finding increasingly elaborate ways to crash vehicles into large groups of people, it's amazing.

Currently, a huge amount of people hang out around the airport which is a fair distance away from the spawn but still the closest place to get planes. So you have large groups of people standing around, waiting for planes to spawn in a place that is pretty annoying to get to. Mowing them down in cars is fantastic.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
So I know people complain about not getting League of Legends griefs but this is too loving funny to not post.

So League has slight character customization via masteries. Masteries give you little piddly upgrades like "Attack 1% faster" or "Reduce cooldowns 0.25%".

League also has two spell slots for you to put utility skills in regardless who you're playing. One of these is Flash, which instantly moves you a short distance in a direction of your choice.

Up until a few months ago masteries were stored clientside. They aren't anymore. I'm guessing this is why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnNYe6vYocI

e: it's also important to know that the character he's playing (Singed) has an ability that lets him fart out a toxic gas cloud continuously while it's on.
Touching it gives you a debuff that does a fair amount of damage over time.

E2: brainfart. Masteries not runes.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 8, 2012

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

bucketmouse posted:

So I know people complain about not getting League of Legends griefs but this is too loving funny to not post.

So League has slight character customization via runes. Runes give you little piddly upgrades like "Attack 1% faster" or "Reduce cooldowns 0.25%", but you have slots for 30 of them so you can stack a bunch of similar ones to get a buff that actually matters.

League also has two spell slots for you to put utility skills in regardless who you're playing. One of these is Flash, which instantly moves you a short distance in a direction of your choice.

Up until a few months ago rune layouts were stored clientside. They aren't anymore. I'm guessing this is why:

e: it's also important to know that the character he's playing (Singed) has an ability that lets him fart out a toxic gas cloud continuously while it's on.
That's not runes, it's masteries, and that was a documented bug that Riot banned over 600 people for using.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

bucketmouse posted:

So League has slight character customization via masteries. Masteries give you little piddly upgrades like "Attack 1% faster" or "Reduce cooldowns 0.25%".

Up until a few months ago masteries were stored clientside. They aren't anymore. I'm guessing this is why:

E2: brainfart. Masteries not runes.
So, uh, what is he doing here to teleport freely and instakill creeps?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Rutkowski posted:

There was an exploit that allowed summoner spells to have no cooldown. This allowed him to Flash(blink) around and Smite(creep only nuke) on whim.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Rutkowski posted:

League of Legends has a "Mastery" thing, where every level up to max gives you a point to put into a small boost to your play in-game. There is one Mastery that reduces the cooldown of Flash/Smite spells (makes him blink across the map, do 500 unblockable damage to creeps) by 20 seconds, and you can only put one point into it.

Most likely, the only Client-Server check that occurred was whether or not a maximum of 30 points were allocated across your entire mastery page. I BELIEVE what he did was edit a text file, saved on his computer instead of on Riot's servers (to save space, as you could have as many Mastery pages set up as you wanted), and give himself X points in that Mastery.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ARACHNOTRON posted:

League of Legends has a "Mastery" thing, where every level up to max gives you a point to put into a small boost to your play in-game. There is one Mastery that reduces the cooldown of Flash/Smite spells (makes him blink across the map, do 500 unblockable damage to creeps) by 20 seconds, and you can only put one point into it.

Most likely, the only Client-Server check that occurred was whether or not a maximum of 30 points were allocated across your entire mastery page. I BELIEVE what he did was edit a text file, saved on his computer instead of on Riot's servers (to save space, as you could have as many Mastery pages set up as you wanted), and give himself X points in that Mastery.
It's also worth noting that there's another mastery that gives you 10 gold every time you use Smite. No big deal on its own, but when you can use it on every single minion in the game and flash around, he could rack up insane amounts of gold stupidly fast. It really worked best with Singed because he could flash on top of people and away and his poison would keep ticking without there being any way for them to stop him.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

bucketmouse posted:

The best part is that this exploit existed AFTER they moved masteries serverside.

:riot:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Dauntasa posted:

Back when I played I actually formed a kill team on the Brotherhood of Shadows and we managed to bankrupt the LED and FDC because I'd make a shitload of those grenades, stamina, healing, and speed drugs.

My team would hammer down all those items and we'd just charge the line with blue/white colored armor and clothes for a few seconds where they would try to identify what faction we even were. We'd jump on the firing lines and because of collision physics in FoM you would slide to the side and you could surf down the line.

It only took three of those charges to kill anyone in the blast radius, and we found out that you could dependably get three out before dying. Not only could you guarantee kills if they didn't split up, but if you surfed the line the FDC would inevitably start shooting each other in the head trying to shoot you off.

I was also the largest knife salesman on the game because I would have my possey run around and murder people in the main market hub of the game while wearing civilian clothes using my knives. Our greatest hit doing this was sneaking into the game's council chambers which were used by the councilman rpers. We found out that one of them had a seat that would allow you to hide on top of a small ledge inside of the council room, so about eight of us snuck into the LED councilman's meeting room and when he came in we all jumped down and ninja assassinated him.

That game was pretty fun if you got in good with the hackers that named themselves after members of NWA. I never hacked but I would run around with them and go on fun escapades. :)

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Diplomaticus posted:

invisible crack ninja

I think I've found my next wrestler name for WWE 12.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Diplomaticus posted:

I've found using incendiary ammo in a gun, combined with a finger wag taunt, and a teabag are the best way to enrage someone (using a female soldier seems to increase the rage). Even better, you can go after the same person over and over because the x-ray vision shows their name above their head. Even if you don't get the kill, you can still squat over their body as the death cam eventually zooms onto it after a certain amount of time.

I had one guy get so mad at me, when the next round started he followed me around shooting at me constantly (he'd been team switched to mine). It's a good thing this game doesn't have friendly fire.

People also get angry when you taunt them in the hardsuit, though it's not as often.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Zaodai posted:

True, but a surprising amount of people don't know how/don't bother to use the visor anyway. I love that thing, it seriously makes you feel like you're playing as the Predator when you get a good kill streak going. It doesn't have CoD style kill streak rewards (thankfully) so the kill streaks just increase your threat level to the other team and gets your more points.

The Visor, speed gear and a combat knife is all you need to make bad players angry. Melee weapons are pretty ridiculous and it's really easy to ambush most players, despite the wallhack.

I was in BL:Rs closed beta and got a cool helmet and skull. People get really mad when they see a low level character like mine (I only recently began playing again) in beta gear.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
speaking of Blacklight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huBhsyGHCdk
Hacking is rather low level grieving, but it is what it is. For anyone who knows about LoL, this guy is Mcclaren, the Anivia guy.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

speaking of Blacklight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huBhsyGHCdk
Hacking is rather low level grieving, but it is what it is. For anyone who knows about LoL, this guy is Mcclaren, the Anivia guy.

Running around with an aimbot is lame. There's no humor or creativity. It just ruins the game without adding anything interesting and once it's widespread it makes games unplayable.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, it's kind of like literally stealing Boardwalk from someone in Monopoly. Did it make the other person angry? Yeah. Was it interesting or funny? No, not really.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, it's kind of like literally stealing Boardwalk from someone in Monopoly. Did it make the other person angry? Yeah. Was it interesting or funny? No, not really.

It is if you eat the card so they don't know how much rent somebody owes if they land on it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Dreggon posted:

It is if you eat the card so they don't know how much rent somebody owes if they land on it.

Swipe card between butt cheeks and place the card back into the deck. Next time you play whoever takes Boardwalk gets stanky fingers!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

That's not griefing, that's just gross.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reiley posted:

That's not griefing, that's just gross.

or the beginning of a good time

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Can we not have this discussion again please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Zebrin posted:

Can we not have this discussion again please?
We had a discussion about buttstuff monopoly and griefing?

• Locked thread